Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Mayveena posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Y-in2w6Rc&t=675s

Where Quinns calls out Zman for presenting Paleolithic people as white. One would think this would not happen in 2021 but there are still brain dead publishers out there who forego representation for expectation/white supremacy.

So then the question is if I or another person should make a thread about this failure? Would it do any good?
Someone made a thread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2618671/susds-criticism-about-ahistorical-skin-color-depic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Great! I asked for more African hair for some of the new characters.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Really wish FFG would reskin and rerelease Forbidden Stars and Battlestar Galactica.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

PJOmega posted:

Really wish FFG would reskin and rerelease Forbidden Stars and Battlestar Galactica.

feels trivial to just adapt the TI setting to them like they did with dune

on that note I'm thinking of paring down my collection and I'm looking at my copies of rex and dune side by side and wondering why I should hang on to the former

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The publisher response is much better than I was imagining. Basically like, "yep, we hosed up, we will fix it to the degree we can, but more importantly intend to do better in the future." Great to hear.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

PJOmega posted:

Forbidden Stars is getting a reskin second edition last I heard

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

That's great to hear. They seem like no brainers in the age of kickstarter.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Mojo Jojo posted:

Not sure if you read enough to answer this, do you remember how reliable your source of information was? If a second edition is coming I'd want to just trade mine now.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Megasabin posted:

Not sure if you read enough to answer this, do you remember how reliable your source of information was? If a second edition is coming I'd want to just trade mine now.

Here's a link to the developer talking about it. It's being released by a company besides FFG and will be on kickstarter once it's finished. It sounds like they've just started playtesting on TTS.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I would expect anything FFG did be permanently dead unless it moves to another studio. Asmodee seems to have gutted everything of value from them.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I hate to self promote, but in this case my video on my top 10 games is really just about dudes on a map games, with some accidental Euros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ToPcXHBgS4

the tldr is:

1. COIN series from GMT
2. Forbidden Stars
3. Dune
4. Feast for Odin (not a DOAM)
5. Dominion (not DOAM)
6. Lords of Hellas
7. Kemet
8. Gaia Project (not DOAM)
9. Inis
10. Mysthea

EDIT: Fire in the Lake has displaced A Distant Plain as my favourite COIN.

The End fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 11, 2021

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FitL over ADP almost makes me want to go on a huge rant

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tekopo posted:

:justpost:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

:posthaste:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

All COIN games are bad, actually

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Tekopo posted:

Please!

Out of fairness, I've only been able to play one full game of FitL, so it might just be the freshness of it. ADP is still magnificent, whether it be 1st or second.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FitL really takes a lot of the lessons that were learnt through the development and throws them in the trash. It was the start of a trend in COINs that tried to model two-side conflicts as competitive four player games. I mean, even ADP had to crowbar an extra side in, but at least it understood that the cooperation between the coalition and government was more than nominally antagonist, instead of going “hmmm I guess the ARVN is at odds with the US for no reason”.

The game itself was notably broken when it came out because bombing was too easy and there was literally no repercussions in bombing areas already in revolt. All of the interesting inter-faction interactions from ADP are just missing because it is, as mentioned before, just two sides fighting against each other. It’s only saving grace is that it’s not as bad as Liberty or Death in this regard.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The End posted:

I hate to self promote, but in this case my video on my top 10 games is really just about dudes on a map games, with some accidental Euros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ToPcXHBgS4

the tldr is:

1. COIN series from GMT
2. Forbidden Stars
3. Dune
4. Feast for Odin (not a DOAM)
5. Dominion (not DOAM)
6. Lords of Hellas
7. Kemet
8. Gaia Project (not DOAM)
9. Inis
10. Mysthea

EDIT: Fire in the Lake has displaced A Distant Plain as my favourite COIN.

Starcraft is right there behind you and you still forgot it :v:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

PerniciousKnid posted:

It was probably obvious to everyone but me, I sort of gave up on the bgg forum and forgot it exists.

The only thing I use the BGG forum for is searching for answers to specific rules questions. Everything else is a big "abandon all hope, ye who enter here"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

An overlooked DOAM game is March of the Ants, and I would throw my recommendation for that. Probably not the "best," but it does the 4x thing in a very tight 90-120 minutes, which is approximately 1 round of TI4. It's just a really smooth experience, and you learn about ants in the process maybe.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I enjoy Nexus Ops for a speedy DOAM game, the objectives keep one person from getting wailed on too much and it’s over in 60-90 minutes. Not sure how available it is though.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Frederic Diebold at Hans Im Glueck posted:

In fact, the author and we talked about this early stage of the game and wanted to have a mixed group. At some point we lost that and just concentrated to have equal women/men ratios. That is absolutely our (publishers) fault and we are working on it to change that.

I wonder who did they lose to? The rest of the company? The author? Who said "NO, ALL WHITES"? I wanna know so I can glare at them.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PlaneGuy posted:

I wonder who did they lose to? The rest of the company? The author? Who said "NO, ALL WHITES"? I wanna know so I can glare at them.

I really am curious how this got dropped. There's no way the publisher would listen to an internet random but a forensic accounting of when this request left the discussion would be interesting.

the trouble is, apologies aren't enough.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

FulsomFrank posted:

Cyclades is really good too. The Matagot line of DOAM are generally top notch and all different enough to scratch different itches. Cyclades was my first so it's my favourite of the three. I like all three expansions for it too and the best part is that they're modular so you get to choose which ones you like or dislike. We once played with everything thrown in because my friend is a mad man and I hated it, so don't do that. Or do.

I really wanted to like (vanilla) Cyclades but it felt that victory hinged on whether you could get a free invade through the mythical creatures in such a way that nobody else could do anything about it, because of how restricted the actual invade actions were.

I bought the Hades expansion specifically to address this then everyone moved on from the game and I haven't even played with it yet *sigh*

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Ravendas posted:

I've played dozens of games of Eclipse. It's an economic euro with a combat layer on it. It's great.

My first serious board games were Avalon Hill Ameritrash so that'll always have a place in my heart, and Eclipse looked to be more of that.
That said, it was actually really fun and looking at some of the later tech there seems to be enough potential for fuckery to keep me happy. More importantly, it can be finished in a sensible amount of time. As much as I love the original Civ board games, they're uh, difficult to get to the table to say the least.

King's Dilemma is on the way for my other board game group. Looking forward to drinking heavily and discussing the fate of the serfs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Neato, got my KS copy of Steampunk Rally Atomic today :science:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

canyoneer posted:

Neato, got my KS copy of Steampunk Rally Atomic today :science:

Check the dice, you might have one or two with a misprinted face. Not a big deal when there's over a hundred in the box, but better to find them before you play than in the middle of a game.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

FulsomFrank posted:

Overall, really liked it. My only big complaint is that there are a million goddamn green tiles and I need an organizer ASAP because laying them out/sorting was a pain and took forever. I look forward to playing it again and hopefully the guy that should have won will do better next time because he got meta-bullied out of dumping a failing company onto his spouse, something I found shameful but whatever I guess.

I assume you got a new production 1849. I'm not sure how thick the tiles are, but they might still fit in coin organizer sheets, which I used for the laminated tiles from copies before AAG's fancy operation got spun up. If not, you could probably split them into baggies with each shape (K, X, chicken foot) and then just toss the baggie with the appropriate track shape and let the person sort through for the unique tile they are looking for.

1849 is one that really benefits from a lot of plays because I think the meta of that one has shifted the most for me personally. The train rush especially can be brutal once a company starts in green and makes it to that second OR and everyone gets in trouble immediately

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bottom Liner posted:

I still haven't played it yet. It's heart breaking

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Does the Starcraft box have a ton of empty space? I was idly curious what the current ebay prices were and came across this copy with a diet box mod selling from the Seattle Goodwill account :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Stickman posted:

Does the Starcraft box have a ton of empty space? I was idly curious what the current ebay prices were and came across this copy with a diet box mod selling from the Seattle Goodwill account :v:

If I could figure out how to do this Roads and Boats would become just the donkey and tree.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

StarCraft is more or less a prototype of Forbidden Stars. You don't need to mention both

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ravendas posted:

I've played dozens of games of Eclipse. It's an economic euro with a combat layer on it. It's great.

I'm a big fan of Eclipse and the 2nd Ed really tightens the whole game up, it's really good. And as much as the game trays pain me they do really work in that game. I think people see the dice based combat and get nervy, rightly so, but it's actually a tight euro and fighting not what you want to be doing if you can help it. You can also commit warcrimes in it.

For DOAM look no further than Inis!

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 12, 2021

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Eclipse is just outside my 10

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Aramoro posted:

If I can voice an opposite opinion here, I was severely disappointed by Inis. We encountered a kingmaking situation in our first playthrough which is a total deal breaker for me. Also the wording on some cards is confusing as gently caress but I guess that can be solved by errata

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

My Inis hot take is that the card art is monstrously ugly

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mojo Jojo posted:

My Inis hot take is that the card art is monstrously ugly

And yet is still better than the box art.

Game's poo poo, as well.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I must say that the galling/psychedelic art was one of the redeeming factors for me. But that was not enough to keep it in my collection

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

And yet is still better than the box art.

Game's poo poo, as well.

Jedit once again proving he is wrong about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Aramoro posted:

I'm a big fan of Eclipse and the 2nd Ed really tightens the whole game up, it's really good. And as much as the game trays pain me they do really work in that game. I think people see the dice based combat and get nervy, rightly so, but it's actually a tight euro and fighting not what you want to be doing if you can help it. You can also commit warcrimes in it.

Releasing 2e without any of the expansion factions felt weird though. That's probably what kept me from backing it. I once played the shrine people, knowing that I'd get the 'can go through half connections' tech pretty quick, and explored widely so that all of my borders with other players were half connections no one could use.

Made a little pocket galaxy for myself, got the tech to let me go through the half connections, and got really annoying with the borders the other players couldn't cross, while I could skip around without worry of defending my area.

Game's cool.

Also once I had the rare tech 'carrier' that lets one ship carry along the smallest ships as it moves, and the rare engine tech that lets you go to any adjacent hex regardless of connections, and made a dreadnought that skipped through borders carrying a bunch of fighters, who then swarmed out of it to bomb all the hexes in the rear.

The combos you can get are so great.