Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

verbal enema posted:

while my buddy was offline i decked out our craft area with all our trophies.

I threw the 30+ regular greydwarf trophies in the sea

Also Sea Serpent hunting is awesome and the one star is much longer than the no star. I can't wait to see the two star

There are starred serpents?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dyzzy posted:

There are starred serpents?????

ok perhaps not but the nighttime glowy boy is huge

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

i hope so, that sounds badass

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Just out of curiosity about the longevity of this game before I get burnt out, how many hours have all of you put in to this game? Are you getting burnt out?

I've already put in like 10+ hours, but I'm not even found the second boss yet.

I played solo and went a bit too quickly through the current content in about 40 hours or so total before I burnt out a bit. I got to the endgame with plenty of portals, but only one small meadows main base, a smelting/forging outpost in the mountains and a small but functional plains base. I hit a wall when I finished the boss content and left myself only menial tasks. I didn't ever really collect much wood or stone, much less extra bronze or iron. My main base is functionally the same footprint that I built before the second boss, and all my additions from there are half finished.

I took a few days off before loading up the game with debug mode on to fly around, test different items and skills at 100 and build some structures without material costs. I had a good time messing around like that, but building a massive structure in minutes certainly makes you question the time investment to farm the resources for big projects solo. I was careful to keep any cheated items or structures separate from my legacy survival things so I could return later without tainting anything.

I still get the urge to pop in and spend some time viking around, but I do lose motivation a bit faster. Last night I jumped into a friend's world for my first multiplayer experience. He toured me around his squad's builds, then we went out to a swamp to collect some iron that I warped back in to my world's home base. It was a nice change of pace--a little chatting, some routine viking chores, then a quick payoff without spending my whole evening in-game.

Ultimately the best solution for you depends on your schedule and motivations, but I'd recommend not rushing through the game's content if you want to eventually do more survival building.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

Just out of curiosity about the longevity of this game before I get burnt out, how many hours have all of you put in to this game? Are you getting burnt out?

131 hours, we've beaten all there is in the game so far (reckon he has played like a quarter of the time I have, I'll ask later). I wouldn't say we are burnt out, but it's two of us playing co-op and we've never been forced to do repeat long mining hauls using ships, aside from Iron, which we only had to do twice. We are somewhat glad to be free from the game's spell, in terms of having our free time back in a sense, but were there more to this game, we would probably still be playing. I wouldn't be surprised if we played again tonight, despite having basically permanently lost all our gear and having nothing else to work towards besides vanity projects and fuckin around.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Gort posted:

Game really needs a pit you can throw sacrifices to Odin into, like eight million greydwarf eyes and resin

On our server we built a a poop chute that leads into a deep pit such that it's just outside of the crafting table's sphere of influence and the items eventually despawn.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I already have 370 hours in this game and haven't even beaten Moder yet. :shepface:

I have:
1) My solo world,
2) A co-op world with some IRL friends, where we share everything and have a common base and just generally play very much as a group, and
3) A dedicated server with some online friends, which is a much more loosely communal deal where we mostly putz around separately in our respective bases and occasionally team up for a boss fight or mining expedition etc.

I'm up to comfortably exploring the mountains in each map, but either haven't gotten around to fighting Moder yet or haven't found the altar.

Still not nearly burnt out on this game, but I no longer feel the need to fill my every waking hour with it. :v: Pretty sure I still have plenty of Valheim hours left in me, even before any updates.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm really loving sticking buildings together at odd angles and making them work, really breaking our of that whole "square box" effect.

Also, I seemed to have fixed the spawning issue! Campfires did the trick. Not only are they stopping anyone from spawning, but I forgot that since Greywarves are afraid of fire they're stopping anyone from swimming around and coming up as well!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Nighthand posted:

I kinda lost some steam in this game, and it's partially because both of my play groups have mostly insisted on keeping one centralized base in the Meadows (near spawn), so the trek to haul ores back is insanely tedious, especially when trying to gear out 5+ people.

I kind of wish Moder was earlier in the progression, maybe third instead of fourth, just to get the Moder Boat earlier. The biggest source of frustration is just how it feels inevitable that every time we have a long sailing journey to do, 95% of it will be against the wind.

You've pretty much nailed the cause of your burnout right there. To me, the fun of this game is working out the logistics of how you're going to tackle the obstacles in front of you. Your group seems hell-bent on a centralized Meadows main base, which in and of itself isn't the problem. But if you're spending your game loop as run a million miles to ore, mine ore, return with ore, repeat - yeah, the insistence on playing that way is gonna get old real quick.

It's far more fun to dynamically work with the environment and meet the world halfway. It won't adapt to you, and you can only change it so much. I have about 8 medium sized bases around the map, each one fulfills a different purpose, all have forges and whatnot upgraded to decent levels, with portals between them. I don't really have a "main" but I do have one that I do most of the cooking with, one for the majority of storage, and one that's safer than the others that I stay in most often in case there's a raid event.

It's nice to envision some huge base in the middle of a pastoral area, but the fantasy is improved by adaptation. Why not a mountainside mining camp, built right into a rock face? A riverside farm in the Black Forest? A series of swamp treehouses built into the indestructible trees? Think of almost any fantasy film or book and these kinds of images leap to mind - you can do all of them in this game. "No, our city is here and that's that" means a lot of dull trudging. You can still have it, but not at the expense of the entire game. The map is huge - it should be dotted with the fruits of your imagination.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Bioshuffle posted:

In my two-person game with my partner we've beaten the fourth boss and kind of petered out in the plains. In my larger group game we're gearing up to fight the third boss. I have 87 hours so far.

I definitely think this is the kind of game I'll binge for a few weeks, and then set aside for a few months, then come back and see what they've added/changed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't need to make fully fledged bases everywhere, I've only made two proper bases and I moved all the functional poo poo once I got the second one set up in the plains.

But it does help to think of it as a series of like, logistical staging challenges. You can only carry so much yourself so you really want to take advantage of things like ship cargo capacity and even carts if needs be to move large amounts of material at once. A longship can absolutely carry a huge amount of of ore but if you are playing with lots of people you might want to bring more than one ship. Land up somewhere, put together a portal and camp to secure your boats and spawn points, then bring all your metal and other loot back to that point, then sail it all back at once.

If you are going to centralize your base you should absolutely put it on the coast, though, your main method of travel is by boat, so your main area of development should absolutely be with that in mind. I also picked the plains because you get infinite resources from it, it's clear, and you also need it for certain crops apparently.

I think this would be helped if we had better ways to survey the map because there's a lot of up front work involved in deciding the optimal place to develop a large base, if you could scout things out easier I think it would make that decision easier.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 12, 2021

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I think this would be helped if we had better ways to survey the map because there's a lot of up front work involved in deciding the optimal place to develop a large base, if you could scout things out easier I think it would make that decision easier.

I have a number of small largely abandoned mini-bases for this exact reason. Something that looks like a great spot winds up being not so great. I had a good sized base because I was convinced the swamp biome was super big. 3 crypts total and I was pretty much "looks like I'm done here..." and off I go for a new spot.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Should I be upgrading my iron axe and pick? I really only use them to harvest and :effort: on upgrading them for a good long while now.

Pill Clinton posted:

My "Milvalkee" Art Museum is almost completed. It just needs a bit more decorations. Here is a sneak peek. I'll upload a video soon. Mean while I have a vid of my Tree of Life, community portal hub, for your enjoyment. All built without using any cheats and costed me many lives.

I know there is a missing piece on one of the beams. A fix would make the whole thing uglier elsewhere, so I have decided to just leave it as it is.

Nice work :cheers:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would upgrade them, the durability increase alone is worth it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

xzzy posted:

I would upgrade them, the durability increase alone is worth it.

Exactly what I feared. Welp, time to see if any of our forges at iron bases are up to snuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Iron pick is, I think, the best you can get at the moment. Iron axe has a better one later but if you use it a lot? It's up to you. I'm still using a bronze axe.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Getting a lot more map visibility while sailing would be really handy for at least rudimentary map making and maybe base locating/scouting.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I finally did upgrade to an iron axe and for chopping wood, I can definitely tell a difference. Takes fewer swings to clear stumps, and that alone makes it worth it to me lol

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Polearm gang rise up. Sailed off the world yesterday so that was fun seeing the northern biome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I finally did upgrade to an iron axe and for chopping wood, I can definitely tell a difference. Takes fewer swings to clear stumps, and that alone makes it worth it to me lol

I feel like there is room for a pick that doubles as an axe, like a mattock, just for digging out stumps.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Getting a lot more map visibility while sailing would be really handy for at least rudimentary map making and maybe base locating/scouting.

I highly recommend everyone get the boat exploration radius mod, especially if you are the type to like to fill out the giant map while exploring, awhile back a bunch of people were posting about raging at not finding a large enough swamp while sailing around and wanting to quit and that mod would of done the trick.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Found a use for all the skele head trophies we have and a visual reminder to stop friends from wandering into the danger portal

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

God, the first two swamps we found in my large group game had zero crypts, and the third one only had one, and that one was small. Then the next one had four, and we scrounged just barely enough iron to get everyone one piece of armor and either a weapon or tool.

Then we sailed out to find the bonemass altar and there were seven more dungeons right around it, lol

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like there is room for a pick that doubles as an axe, like a mattock, just for digging out stumps.

An alt/special attack for axes that does the pick animation would be amazing.

Wonder if that could be modded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

An alt/special attack for axes that does the pick animation would be amazing.

Wonder if that could be modded.

Actually yeah that would probably be a good idea for chopping logs too.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Meanwhile here I am wondering if people really build new forges every time they go out mining. To me it's so much more convenient to have one centralized zone for it, assuming you're transporting stuff in a boat/cart.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I dunno about forges but a kiln and furnace can be set up pretty easily for smelting ore. A friend of mine put it this way: it's a matter of time efficiency since you can smelt a load of ore at your outpost then go out mining or adventuring while it finishes, as opposed to shipping all the ore home to your real base and babysitting the entire lot as it smelts.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah it's generally like one base per island we're operating on, I think we have about 8 going between 6 of us, though only 2.5 of them are fully equipped.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ravenfood posted:

There’s a mod for this, fwiw, but I don’t have the link to hand on my phone.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eschatos posted:

Meanwhile here I am wondering if people really build new forges every time they go out mining. To me it's so much more convenient to have one centralized zone for it, assuming you're transporting stuff in a boat/cart.
I think a lot of it depends on your terrain. I'm on a large island right now where my standing stones are near what appears to be a lake while my black forest base is pretty far away on the coast, but not in a way that's actually accessible to a lot of other biomes or to the first base at the stones. Hauling everything to a central location, especially if I need to repair my metal gear, sounds like a giant pain in the rear end compared to just bringing the stuff to build a base with you in your boat/cart for when you get there.

And if you're tearing it down after you move, it's not like it will cost you anything extra, and even if you don't tear it down, the materials for a forge are pretty minor.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Eschatos posted:

I'm been winging it the whole time, but my pattern is something like this: find new area, scout for resources, if they are low, build a basic forge/smelter/kiln and get my new basic tier of gear. When I finally stumble on a rich source of the resource, I build out the higher level forge and finish all my upgrades. Then I go back to each area and do a deep dive to make sure I've wrung all the resources out of the area, stockpiling at each base. When I find a new spot for a heavy-duty base, it's transport time for the stuff I need, which means boats/carts/whatever.

It all depends what you actually need the metal for. If you're making or upgrading gear, you can build up what you need to do that, then tear it down to just the repair levels needed to keep it maintained. Most of my bases are at that level now, save I think two of them.

The map has far more resources on it than it appears, and an item later on reveals even more. That said, I disagree somewhat with the idea of putting limited resource metals as an ingredient in disposable items like arrows. Seems like a beginner's trap to me.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Ravenfood posted:

The boat visibility mod is great but defaults to 500 which is probably 4 or 5x what unmodded is. I can’t live without it now but would’ve been content w starting it to 250 or so in the configuration file and then upping it from there if needed.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Eschatos posted:

In my solo game I built one full forge at my main base, then another up at my silver mine because it was easier to get some iron and copper at the foot of the mountain than take boats back and forth. Eventually I cannibalized the upgrades out of that one and took them to my plains base even further out. I don't think I've ever sailed a ship all the way back from my furthest outposts.

Woden
May 6, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

I dunno about forges but a kiln and furnace can be set up pretty easily for smelting ore. A friend of mine put it this way: it's a matter of time efficiency since you can smelt a load of ore at your outpost then go out mining or adventuring while it finishes, as opposed to shipping all the ore home to your real base and babysitting the entire lot as it smelts.

Why would you babysit them at home but not elsewhere?

I just load them up then head out to do other stuff. There's no real difference between transporting ores vs bars, so I just take the ores home and smelt there.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
If I don't have a group of friends to play this with should I try and find one, will I lose progress if I start a solo game then decide to join a multi-player server?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I guess a lot of this just comes down to how big the distance is between your base and where you're harvesting resources. In our first game we had Bonemass way the gently caress away and consequently ended up with fully upgraded outposts in our swamps and the nearby plains. In my current game my pal parks a longship in the swamp and keeps the locals at bay while I ferry over all the iron from the crypt I just got done clearing, and then we make the short trip home. Both times it seemed obvious that we're doing the right thing, though I'm having more fun here because my brain is broken in such a way that I'd rather take a few boat trips than do Logistics like knowing how much of which stuff I have/need to take where.

Spikes32 posted:

If I don't have a group of friends to play this with should I try and find one, will I lose progress if I start a solo game then decide to join a multi-player server?

Your character is saved separately from your world, so you can go back and forth between your solo game and a multi-player server with all the stuff you can carry.

Yeah, imo you should try to talk friends into playing with you, but you also shouldn't make your enjoyment of the game depend on other people's schedules.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Spikes32 posted:

Not really, you can take your character with skills and recipes and unlocks between servers without issue.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only thing to be aware of when playing other worlds is if you happen to play a multiplayer game and a local game with the same name/seed. Your location in one applies to the other and can be kind of annoying.

But you could also exploit that to cheese content if you wanted to, I guess.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
That's good to know thanks! Are there goon servers / discords or should I look elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Going to be interesting to see how they roll out new content. I think they should definitely focus on it because I can see a lot of folks dropping off hard once they near the current “top tier” if they are not engaged in the building.

Adding new biomes will be difficult, since they will be played out so fast if they release them 1 by 1. With that said, I definitely hope it’s something they prioritize, because as I start to approach the 5th biome I definitely don’t want the exploration to stop.