Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Already said plenty but the game is awesome by the way. String sense of physical flow, and a solid exercise for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Lockback posted:

Its a shadowboxing game, not a boxing game. That's not communicated super well but yeah, it doesn't really encourage you to try to "game" it, it wants you to go a distance of time with boxing techniques. How are you losing? Getting knocked out? Then you need to keep your gloves up more. You're hitting but not knocking them down? You need to punch harder. There's a training dummy that you can go against that gives immediate feedback on hit "power" as well as the places on the body that give bonuses. Just touching your glove on the opponent won't do damage (like touching a glove on someone won't knock them down), you gotta go for crosses and hooks.

The first guy on easy should give you lots of opportunities to do this. It took me a while before I was KOing people reliably even on normal but now I do so even on outclassed.

You should be really tired even after the first round. If you're not, thats probably the problem.

Seconding that bit about getting tired. I make full use of the minute-long cooldown periods between rounds and I really need to pace myself.

I've got past a bunch of opponents (I think I just need to play vs the final boss now) winning by judges in TotF and I've yet to knock anyone down. I didn't even know it was an option. I've been knocked down myself but not to KO. Apparently I need to try harder...

For ingame feedback there are some green/yellow/red color flashes when you hit.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lowen posted:

Seconding that bit about getting tired. I make full use of the minute-long cooldown periods between rounds and I really need to pace myself.

I've got past a bunch of opponents (I think I just need to play vs the final boss now) winning by judges in TotF and I've yet to knock anyone down. I didn't even know it was an option. I've been knocked down myself but not to KO. Apparently I need to try harder...

For ingame feedback there are some green/yellow/red color flashes when you hit.

Sometimes after hitting them you can see on their faces they're kinda dazed, that's when they're most vulnerable to knock downs. If you hit em hard enough on one of the sensitive spots (places that light up on the dummy) they will go down at that point.

I'm surprised at some people's complaints about lack of feedback, and I wonder if maybe they were just never doing any real damage. You've really gotta punch with proper form to get anything done, but I find that the damage done to the opponent is very obvious and their state is also well conveyed through animations.

Personally I really hate super gamey UI bolted onto VR, like that new Zombieland game really turned me off with it's constant overlays for everything.
https://twitter.com/xrgamesvr/status/1367508884626280451?s=19

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jack Trades posted:

I can't believe nobody made a "drive a motorcycle against oncoming traffic" game yet.

Road Rash VR when?

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Rectus posted:

Got yer jetpacks, skiing and grappling hooks right here :c00lbutt:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135645775

This looks very cool, unfortunately I don’t have a gaming pc.

Didn’t see this mentioned in the thread, but there’s another (single player?) grapple FPS coming soon:

https://youtu.be/yztbemRNRYU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pantsfree posted:

This looks very cool, unfortunately I don’t have a gaming pc.

Didn’t see this mentioned in the thread, but there’s another (single player?) grapple FPS coming soon:

https://youtu.be/yztbemRNRYU

I've seen this, and it looks kinda interesting but I feel like the level design is really boring. Every level appears to be approximately the same configuration of floating platforms in an empty void, I would be more interested in swinging around in the backgrounds.

But it is hard to judge a game like that from a trailer, maybe there's something really fun about that configuration when you're actually playing it.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I got the 8KX on Amazon so I could return it if it sucked and honestly, I'm sorta conflicted on it. The software is garbage, it just refused to run for like an hour and was overall just a hassle to deal with, it's not very comfortable, and the sound is ludicrously bad, but the visuals are extremely good. Like, actually the best I've ever seen. I didn't really notice how good they were until I went back to my Index and noticed the godrays and FOV.

I have a month to choose whether or not I wanna return it, I guess!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blade Runner posted:

I got the 8KX on Amazon so I could return it if it sucked and honestly, I'm sorta conflicted on it. The software is garbage, it just refused to run for like an hour and was overall just a hassle to deal with, it's not very comfortable, and the sound is ludicrously bad, but the visuals are extremely good. Like, actually the best I've ever seen. I didn't really notice how good they were until I went back to my Index and noticed the godrays and FOV.

I have a month to choose whether or not I wanna return it, I guess!

The sound might be a fixable issue issue in a few months if you decide to keep it and you're willing to burn even more money :retrogames:; Rebuff Reality's has had their VR Ears Indigigo going until shipping in July, and they're functionally a third-party mountable version of the Index off-ear speakers. They clamp onto the rigid strap and plug into one of the USB-C ports.

Maybe wait for previews/reviews on it, etc, but it'd at least solve part of your problem.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The sound might be a fixable issue issue in a few months if you decide to keep it and you're willing to burn even more money :retrogames:; Rebuff Reality's has had their VR Ears Indigigo going until shipping in July, and they're functionally a third-party mountable version of the Index off-ear speakers. They clamp onto the rigid strap and plug into one of the USB-C ports.

Maybe wait for previews/reviews on it, etc, but it'd at least solve part of your problem.

I might get them! I actually kinda hate how good this headset looks, because the index is so much better and easier to use otherwise, but man does it look great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blade Runner posted:

I might get them! I actually kinda hate how good this headset looks, because the index is so much better and easier to use otherwise, but man does it look great.

Between a Modmic and the VR Ears I'll have just about bootstrapped my Vive Pro into an Index :v:.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

explosivo posted:

Do you mean 3-4 people together IRL passing around a headset or 3-4 people with their own headsets? If the latter, Pokerstars is definitely a good suggestion, I'd highly recommend Walkabout Minigolf as well if you want a game to play that isn't too intense but can shoot the poo poo with your friends while playing.

Of the latter try Drunken Bar Fight... it's as hilarious to spectate as it is to play

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

Road Rash VR when?

God drat I have never wanted something more than this

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Nice, Population One has a balance patch out already and soda capacity was lowered like I was hoping. Good devs over there, bodes well for the future.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Lemming posted:

If you press the report button and let me know their names I will ban them. I'm going to be improving things by adding a little speaker indicator next to the name of whoever's speaking so it's easier to tell who it is, as well as adding in more granular report reasons so I'll just be able to ban anyone who's getting a bunch of reports for the same reason by different people

How’s that work by the by? Given that you can change your name whenever I assume you just check logs against IDs running a given name that were reported within an arbitrary window?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Warbird posted:

How’s that work by the by? Given that you can change your name whenever I assume you just check logs against IDs running a given name that were reported within an arbitrary window?

I'm using Playfab as a back end and it has logs of a bunch of stuff, so I can see name histories as well. As long as I have enough corroborating info, I can pin down whoever was at issue with relatively little info from the start

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tip posted:

Once you're fully upgraded in Stormland you can go pretty nuts with the locomotion, just flying around like a maniac. One of my all time favorites, still sad that Sony bought the developer so we'll never get any sequels or DLC.

I really wish someone would rip it off and give me more.

Stormland is fantastic.

NRVNQSR posted:

Sprint Vector, perhaps? Or are you looking for something faster than that?

Yeah. Sprint Vector fast but I was thinking more along the lines of making you barf fast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Youtube just served me up this ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOYHg8qdxTE

So Omni are actually trying to push to consumers now

Thing looks expensive, although it also looks like they put some real work into designing that thing that holds you, better than the old fence design.

E: Hahahahaha yeah they cost $2,000

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Thing looks expensive, although it also looks like they put some real work into designing that thing that holds you, better than the old fence design.

I mean, normal treadmills cost $2000. Mid-range graphics cards cost $2000.

I know for a fact there was a goon who got the original Kickstart omni. Who was it; fess up. I think they did give up on using it before long? The old one put you in like a robo-diaper.

edit: I'd buy one if Steam VR had support for vive-tracking your ankles for exact 1:1 walking, like if it worked in Alyx etc.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 12, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's because they force you to buy an all-in-one VR headset with it, it's half that price if you buy a "developer" one which comes with just the treadmill.

It's pretty stupid, I'd think most people who are willing to drop a thousand dollars on an omni treadmill already have a headset.

Reminds me of that VR controller that's just shoes you rub across the ground to move, it's way overpriced because you have to buy it with an area rug and a stool.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
But with that much hardware I could quite easily understand the price. If the stand alone is a grand that's almost surprisingly cheap. If you are heavily into games that suit this and you have the space I could easily see this being worth it. Even more so if you lack the space. I mean I bought a Quest 2 on january since it was so cheap, and I've already racked up 700€ in accessories.

More importantly, we need to switch all CS:GO tournaments into this.

A related issue, rifle stocks for VR controllers. It's easy to understand why these are nice and the biggest issue seems to be the sidearm, you need some kind of quick detach so you can turn one of the controllers into a pistol. But I've been thinking, the stock doesn't really need two controllers, just the forward grip. If the controller is within a certain distance and pointed to specific direction we can assume that you are shouldering the stock. Tilt the headset certain way and you are now looking through the sights and we can use the position of one controller for aiming. The other controller can be "holstered" as a dedicated pistol/manipulation tool. Of course it would be nice if the stock had just a bit of smarts to provide tricker and mag drop button at least, it would feel better than a lever to actuate the trigger on the forward grip controller.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

re: tracker talk- if you have an old Kinect laying around, there are at least two or three different implementations out there of hip+ankle tracking. There's rather obvious downsides- it's jittery and doesn't know what "crouching" or "turning around" are. But if you're using something like the Rift S or Quest and don't have any lighthouses, then it's by far the cheapest option for full-body tracking.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've used a walking cradle thingy before, don't think it was the same brand but the walking was absolutely busted.

Aside from the cost and space requirements, that device seems about two years too late to be useful to most people; apps like Natural Locomotion and hand-based movement in things like Gorilla Tag and the new H3VR update make it fairly redundant for getting around in games, and while you can duck in it, you don't have the full range of dodging and weaving, or walking around a puzzle in roomscale to see it from all angles in Alyx.

I guess there's use from a fitness point of view, but a somewhat limited one - it wouldn't be any good for either Thrill of the Fight or Blaston, for example. You could load it up in SkyrimVR and do a Skyrim half marathon, I guess, that would be fun. But if I was actually playing Skyrim for realsies, probably not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luneshot posted:

re: tracker talk- if you have an old Kinect laying around, there are at least two or three different implementations out there of hip+ankle tracking. There's rather obvious downsides- it's jittery and doesn't know what "crouching" or "turning around" are. But if you're using something like the Rift S or Quest and don't have any lighthouses, then it's by far the cheapest option for full-body tracking.

Nah the Kinect's tracking is pretty garbage. I've seen plenty of people try to use it in VRChat, and it manages to hold tracking for about, oh, five minutes on average before mermaiding someone's legs together or collapsing them into a horrifying mess of broken limbs . Even if they're facing it directly and been sitting still for those five minutes.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

how do they still have funding for this thing?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

fits easily in my many large empty rooms

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zero VGS posted:

Mid-range graphics cards cost $2000.

What chu talking bout, Willis?

Mid range cards are lik $400. Top end cards are like $600-800. Over $1000 for a graphics card is exclusively workstation graphics, the opposite of mid range.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

you don't have the full range of dodging and weaving, or walking around a puzzle in roomscale to see it from all angles in Alyx.

Don't you? Maybe it prevents you from bending over forwards, but otherwise you can still walk around that's kinda the point. And you can still lean around.

I guess for the purposes of 1:1 movement for your inner ear, yeah. If you have a big room to run in then that is better for roomscale designed games.

Big problem is games aren't targeting it, so like said, we have other "solutions" that make it largely redundant, and it'll never see mass adoption to make it worth targeting.

But yeah could be cool for esports?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zaphod42 posted:

What chu talking bout, Willis?

Mid range cards are lik $400. Top end cards are like $600-800. Over $1000 for a graphics card is exclusively workstation graphics, the opposite of mid range.

You should look at the current GPU market at some point. Good luck finding any graphics card at all for less than $800 right now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

njsykora posted:

You should look at the current GPU market at some point. Good luck finding any graphics card at all for less than $800 right now.

That's inflated price because of bitcoin miners and lack of 3-series geforce supply. The MSRP on the 3-series is considerably lower than on the 2-series, and my 2080ti wasn't $1,000 much less $2,000.

Ebay doesn't count.

Would you say the PS5 costs $2,000 because some people bought it for that much? No, its just currently sold out and unavailable.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

$2,000 dollars seems fine for the treadmill. It just comes across as a better way to do "room scale" to me. I wouldn't have to worry about boundaries and don't need to keep/make a large area clear just in case I might want to do some VR.

Unfortunately they're trying to push their own store, headset and controllers with the treadmill and the quality for any one of those could be a dealbreaker, especially the store. How many devs are going to prioritize VR support for a store you need to buy a proprietary 2,000 VR set for when Oculus and SteamVR also exist?

If the standalone treadmill works well with SteamVR room scale I might get it, but I'm not willing to pay an extra $1000 on top of my Index just to use a slightly better method of moving around, with a worse selection of titles, and/or worse headset and/or worse controllers.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 12, 2021

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

That's inflated price because of bitcoin miners and lack of 3-series geforce supply. The MSRP on the 3-series is considerably lower than on the 2-series, and my 2080ti wasn't $1,000 much less $2,000.

Ebay doesn't count.

Would you say the PS5 costs $2,000 because some people bought it for that much? No, its just currently sold out and unavailable.

So Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price is more valid than *checks notes* reality? OK then. My original point was that people who can afford a full VR setup in the first place in this day and age are not gonna squawk about $2000. I guess it's a non-issue because as mentioned it's going to be $1000 without their garbage HMD included.

I'd still only be interested if they got 1:1 foot tracking into all the popular titles. Most of the time these amount to "are feet scooting forwards? then hold W key" which doesn't really cut it.

edit: Also I forgot, they've already had these Katwalk VR out for a while. Seems like they're $1500 after shipping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV0vE_bS1dM

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 12, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Once the controls for H3VR really click it is an extremely satisfying game, especially with guns with drop free mags and bolt release. I think the MP7 is my favourite.

It needs more customization options like being able to spraypaint guns with patterns etc oh lord I would nerd the Hell out.

Also how do I save builds to the vault? I need to look that up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

priznat posted:

Once the controls for H3VR really click it is an extremely satisfying game, especially with guns with drop free mags and bolt release. I think the MP7 is my favourite.

It needs more customization options like being able to spraypaint guns with patterns etc oh lord I would nerd the Hell out.

Also how do I save builds to the vault? I need to look that up.

Yeah I've been playing Take and Hold the last few nights and have been having a blast. Choosing the Random start option sometimes gives me better weapons than I get with the standard pistol only start, I got an MP5K last night and tearing into the rooms dual wielding an MP5K and one of the pistols they dropped and laying waste is so much fun.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

explosivo posted:

Yeah I've been playing Take and Hold the last few nights and have been having a blast. Choosing the Random start option sometimes gives me better weapons than I get with the standard pistol only start, I got an MP5K last night and tearing into the rooms dual wielding an MP5K and one of the pistols they dropped and laying waste is so much fun.

I do kind of wish they would drop realistic looking guns but I guess it is both for aesthetics and performance. I don’t really understand what is up with the big blue consoles but I did get it to spit out a gun (deagle!) just by random clicking on it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

priznat posted:

I do kind of wish they would drop realistic looking guns but I guess it is both for aesthetics and performance. I don’t really understand what is up with the big blue consoles but I did get it to spit out a gun (deagle!) just by random clicking on it.

I understand the console with the 3 options on them let you buy random things with the tokens you get from taking points, the guns cost 2-3 tokens so you can poke it to get a new gun or a grenade or whatever they're offering. The other console I *think* lets you swap in guns to get a token back but it only works on guns that weren't dropped by enemies. So like if you get a poo poo gun you can trade it in to maybe get enough tokens back to try another random one. I got the TF2 Soldier Rocket launcher last night and that bad boy carried me through a few of the harder encounters.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Here's one more KatWalk review... I like how both these reviews torture these poor women for their first time impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuAPoLXpnPk

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

priznat posted:

So you get tokens in the "take", or supply, rooms (blow up those boxes). You can use those on the consoles to buy new guns, buy more magazines (in limited ammo) buy scopes, grenades, etc. There is a cost in tokens on the pictures, and you won't know what you get but the "type" (revoler, automatic, smg, etc), you usually see more expensive but "better" gun types as you progress. In random you just get a random gun, could be anything.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lockback posted:

So you get tokens in the "take", or supply, rooms (blow up those boxes).

Son of a bitch I knew I should've tried shooting those boxes.. I smacked it with the butt of my gun a couple times and nothing happened so I figured they were just there for decoration.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Here's one more KatWalk review... I like how both these reviews torture these poor women for their first time impression:

These all look extremely awkward and uncomfortable, and require you to shift your weight so you're constantly in a forward lean. The Omni design seems better thought out in this regard but I can't imagine anyone using this for any extended period of time or for anything other than novelty value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pantsfree posted:

These all look extremely awkward and uncomfortable, and require you to shift your weight so you're constantly in a forward lean. The Omni design seems better thought out in this regard but I can't imagine anyone using this for any extended period of time or for anything other than novelty value.

Yeah it seems like something I'll see at a Dave and Buster's in 2-4 years to play a specific game that was designed for it but there's no way that any dev puts any serious time into supporting these things when the adoption rate for VR is already as low as it is.