Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

What do they like, though? Most of them don’t like WWE, or even watch NJPW. I don’t see them posting about the indies. A lot of what they hate about AEW was super common in WCW and Mid-South and Memphis.

I really don’t think this is about AEW not matching their vision of wrestling anymore. It’s just pure hate-entertainment now.
They like old tapes and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
You could make the argument that the promotion that's closest to what they claim to want - storyline driven, more of a focus on in-match storytelling using basic moves rather than BIG MOVES and FLIPS dominating every match; a promotion that takes itself mostly seriously but not without dropping all of the showmanship - is actually Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling and I think that's an interesting argument to explore actually. In various Discords I'm in there are a few old-school wrestling fans who are really into TJPW because of the above things: one of them talks fairly regularly about how its impressive that they have been able to make moves like bodyslams that are usually pure transitional moves into things that matter even in bigger matches and I think its an interesting idea. Now the whole presentation of TJPW sort of counters that and a lot of people can't get into that (and that's fair; there's never going to be a promotion that suits everyone and that's a good thing) but I still think there's something there that's worth thinking about. But yeah I'd agree with the idea of the sort of wrestling they talk about never really existing: at least long-term unless you ignore plenty of dumb things.

Anyway lets go back to the angry veterans that would HATE Maki Itoh: I'm sure one of the biggest women's wrestling stars of all time would heavily dislike people that sing themselves to the ring and think that all wrestlers should be super serious all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnchQRCsNGQ

Oh, wait a minute Chigusa Nagayo was a legit pop star as part of the Crush Gals; she sang as part of the intermission on AJW shows where she'd later wrestle (the build for the second Nagayo-Dump Matsumoto Hair vs Hair match was started by Dump attacking her while she was performing and going after her with scissors) and even now the rare times she's in a Big Match she'll sing as part of her entrance since who on earth is going to tell Chigusa Nagayo that she's not allowed to.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this group I feel sorry for. WWE fans, at least, seem to like what WWE does and so they've got a promotion that does the thing they want and good for them.

The anti-fun-in-wrestling crowd seems to want a form of pro wrestling that does not exist and likely never did.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah this group I feel sorry for. WWE fans, at least, seem to like what WWE does and so they've got a promotion that does the thing they want and good for them.

The anti-fun-in-wrestling crowd seems to want a form of pro wrestling that does not exist and likely never did.

I don't even think they would watch a product that was exactly as they claim to want either, though.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Y'all are missing the best part of this, which is that he thought Rebel was Vickie Guerrero.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man wrestling fans make me dislike wrestling a whole lot

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

JOHN CENA posted:

I get caught in this mindset sometimes and it does defeat me a bit. I had a hard 2020 and many goons know that. You’re not alone, is what I’m saying.

I understand periodic negativity about wanting things better and offering constructive feedback, but I’ve learned even more recently that many of these folks are inherently negative. There are no positive comments or joy in anything they talk about. And if so, it’s just rare compared to other comments or feedback.

So, I discredit that now as opposed to put weight on it and that’s at least helped me continue to stay in the happy-go-lucky state of mind that I like to always be in, especially in a time when mental health absolutely has taken a toll on me and others in my circle.

Tons of negatives in things, especially in wrestling, but you know, there’s a ton of positives that just don’t get spotlighted by those who associate with it as fans, performers, etc.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

just ignore twitter and watch what you enjoy.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

davidbix posted:

Y'all are missing the best part of this, which is that he thought Rebel was Vickie Guerrero.
Vickie did beat up on Shida in that clip though

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The 7th of October 1998 Hyper Visual Fighting Arsion ARSION Twinstar of ARSION show was good and all other wrestling is worthless garbage, IMO.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Royal Updog posted:

The 7th of October 1998 Hyper Visual Fighting Arsion ARSION Twinstar of ARSION show was good and all other wrestling is worthless garbage, IMO.

hell yeah ARSION rules everyone should watch it

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

JOHN CENA posted:

It’s easy for me to also feel this way not having been to a wrestling show in over a year, but then I remember every wrestling show I went to, most people were really friendly and excited about wrestling.

The miserable Twitter/Reddit people just get amplified when online is the only way I’m interacting with wrestling.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

What do they like, though? Most of them don’t like WWE, or even watch NJPW. I don’t see them posting about the indies. A lot of what they hate about AEW was super common in WCW and Mid-South and Memphis.

I really don’t think this is about AEW not matching their vision of wrestling anymore. It’s just pure hate-entertainment now.

They don't actually like anything. It makes them feel elite and cultured to poo poo on something popular, and for many this is all just another front in the endless parade of right-wing culture wars.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

JUNGLE BOY posted:

It’s easy for me to also feel this way not having been to a wrestling show in over a year, but then I remember every wrestling show I went to, most people were really friendly and excited about wrestling.

The miserable Twitter/Reddit people just get amplified when online is the only way I’m interacting with wrestling.

Yeah, every live show I've been to has been a great experience with friendly nice people. Like for 30 years. It's a surprisingly inclusive group.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i just couldn't care less ever about what some dipshit says just because they like (or tangentially talk about) something i like. i definitely don't understand what makes these people tick or what they get out of being so toxic and weird but that's their problem. the second it bleeds into the shows itself (i.e. hhh talking about the Marks) is when it becomes intolerable though

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

davidbix posted:

you've got to be better than this david

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Does "GirlOnCinema" go in here or cornhole? I've forced myself to not pay any attention to her up to this point but her trying hard as she can to just lose her channel is bizzarely compelling to me.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MJeff posted:

Does "GirlOnCinema" go in here or cornhole? I've forced myself to not pay any attention to her up to this point but her trying hard as she can to just lose her channel is bizzarely compelling to me.

No idea what this is but it sounds godawful. Gonna watch the banana song out of beetlejuice to cleanse my pallet. I know it is problematic but deep down in my soul I don't really care about being good.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I know nothing about this character, are they are self-destructive grifter posting really terrible and acerbic poo poo that is also offensive to one degree or another, because that is what I think of when I think of stuff that should be tossed into the cornhole for bad vibes. Your Joey Ryans, your Mike Quackenbushes, your Austin Arieses et cetera.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think they kind of ride Corney's coattails

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

go by whether or not it will generate discussion on that guy or stay on topic

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you're wrong you get put in bad trouble.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

jesus WEP posted:

Vickie did beat up on Shida in that clip though
OK, I feel like an idiot. What timestamp? I only saw Rebel getting involved.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

karmicknight posted:

I know nothing about this character, are they are self-destructive grifter posting really terrible and acerbic poo poo that is also offensive to one degree or another, because that is what I think of when I think of stuff that should be tossed into the cornhole for bad vibes. Your Joey Ryans, your Mike Quackenbushes, your Austin Arieses et cetera.

I think so? I dunno. I'll just put it in Cornhole.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

davidbix posted:

OK, I feel like an idiot. What timestamp? I only saw Rebel getting involved.

00:02

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

OK that came and went pretty fast!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Destroy My Sweater posted:

what causes this sort of brain poisoning

https://twitter.com/HecBitw
https://twitter.com/JobberNationTV

and actually anyone that serially replies to bryan alvarez's ratings tweets

jobbernation guy needs to def sign off for like a week, he is straight up brokenbrained

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
what is this alternate world

https://twitter.com/VWE_45/status/1370119638860840960

that whole VWE 45 account is some amazing craziness, including in between posts about how AEW sucks and Trump rules that we are all sinners and God don't care if you believe in him you WILL got to heaven or hell

Lid fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 12, 2021

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Are they arguing the same thing but also arguing with eachother?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Are they arguing the same thing but also arguing with eachother?

Forget it Jake, it's Twittertown

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bayleno

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Benne posted:

Bayleno

I have questions.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

davidbix posted:

OK that came and went pretty fast!

just fuggin' with my boy

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I have questions.

The poo poo head Twitter crowd thinks Bayley has a big chin.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think they kind of ride Corney's coattails

Her pinned tweet is her calling herself Jim Cornette's long lost granddaughter so er, yes

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I've spent a lot of time, probably more than is healthy, talking and arguing with self-professed old-school wrestling purists who think anything made after 1987 is garbage. I've learned that their are 2 things at the root of their mindset(at least in the individuals I've talked to, which is a sample size of like, 5):

1) They want wrestling to be exactly like it was when they, personally, were children and thought it was real. What they consider 'looks real' is whatever was commonplace during that time period, and anything beyond that 'looks fake' and has 'obvious cooperation' and is 'unrealistic'. For example, writhing around in pain after a moderate impact move is 'realistic' to them, while not selling sufficiently selling is unrealistic, in spite of decades of boxing and UFC showing the world how humans actually react to pain during real combat situations.

2) You know how when you see a new move, new sequence, or a new kinda gimmick match or some other novel thing on a wrestling show, you get a little serotonin tingle and you're like "Hey! Something new!"? They don't get that. Their joy from wrestling comes from the comfort of familiarity.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Takuan posted:

I've spent a lot of time, probably more than is healthy, talking and arguing with self-professed old-school wrestling purists who think anything made after 1987 is garbage.

You think there's a new school of those types coming up who feel that way about 2000 (or 2008)? Or did most of them just go away completely?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

collocation posted:

You think there's a new school of those types coming up who feel that way about 2000 (or 2008)? Or did most of them just go away completely?

If there are, I have not personally run in to them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I feel like there's definitely a bunch of Attitude Era purists out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

There are Attitude Era purists, but they seem to be a different breed than Old School Purists. I haven't really interacted with these types in-depth, but they seem to believe that wrestling in the late 90s was only popular due to the things like unprotected chairshots, juvenile risque humor, and the objectification of women. And honestly, they might be right. Those kinds of things may have actually been what drew the 'casual audience' of the time.