Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't cut out walmart, they're logistics skills are loving disgusting, legitimately the best in the world, their online profile is growing, and the stores actually make bank unlike amazon minus Amazon Web Systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Gaius Marius posted:

I wouldn't cut out walmart, they're logistics skills are loving disgusting, legitimately the best in the world, their online profile is growing, and the stores actually make bank unlike amazon minus Amazon Web Systems

Because you can buy food with food stamps at Walmart. Dies Amazon take food stamps?

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Star Man posted:

Because you can buy food with food stamps at Walmart. Dies Amazon take food stamps?

I’ve seen notifications in the app that Amazon take EBT. Don’t know exactly how it works though

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gaius Marius posted:

As a fleshy member of Amazon Robotics I'm not gonna poo poo on Walmart's logistics game. It really is top notch but...well, Amazon's something else entirely as well.

Anyways, last night of the week (Our shift is Sun-Weds nights, 10 hours each) and everyone had a severe case of Friday Brain. From everyone's rates sucking and a lot of people using their time to head out early for the weekend (normal) to the usually pretty-good-at-names manager constantly forgetting and mumbling names over the PA, one of her announcements ending with a clatter and then a moment later "...I dropped the mic...", to me having to fish a trash can out of the trash gaylord that it had been thrown in.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

Yes. They wouldn't be making as many inroads into the grocery market ( which they've been trying to do even before Whole Foods ) if they didn't. EBT is too big a part of too many American households not to take it. You'd have to be the dumbest of dumb to try and make it in such a competitive market sector with huge waste and tight margins without taking a guaranteed revenue stream.

It cannot be understated what a tsunami of money EBT/WIC/etc injects into the economy every year. Aside from the material bonuses of a workforce that has more money to spend on '"luxury goods" ( like refrigerators ) and their subsidized labor, it's generally good when money is actively flowing from one entity to another instead of just rotting in some slowly dissolving tech startup or something.

Just for a little background info because it's genuinely fascinating stuff and one of the few good government programs we haven't yet killed:

In 2019, the US grocery store industry generated between 600 billion and a trillion, trillion and a half dollars, depending on which source you google. Let's peg it at a trillion for the sake of 'I'm not googling all this poo poo because I'm not writing a loving thesis'.

Of that, SNAP ( federal food stamps, EBT ) spent between sixty and eighty billion dollars, or close to one out of every ten dollars.

Given how many people who work at those stores also need EBT to get by, you wouldn't be wrong to call it a jobs program but with more steps. Short of actually doing more worthwhile aid, you could probably give the economy a sizeable boost by just giving people more EBT funds. You're basically telling them they HAVE to spend this money every month. So what do they do? They spend it. I sure as hell made sure I got every dollar out when I had to use it. My family's social worker insisted we did.

If the absolute galaxy brained politicians ( right and left ) that want to nuke social security and EBT ever get their way, it's going to shoot the economy in the face and piss into the gaping wound channel.

Alkydere posted:

As a fleshy member of Amazon Robotics I'm not gonna poo poo on Walmart's logistics game. It really is top notch but...well, Amazon's something else entirely as well.

Anyways, last night of the week (Our shift is Sun-Weds nights, 10 hours each) and everyone had a severe case of Friday Brain. From everyone's rates sucking and a lot of people using their time to head out early for the weekend (normal) to the usually pretty-good-at-names manager constantly forgetting and mumbling names over the PA, one of her announcements ending with a clatter and then a moment later "...I dropped the mic...", to me having to fish a trash can out of the trash gaylord that it had been thrown in.

I kind of wonder if Amazon will eventually shoot its own distro-network in the foot by going too tech-wonk. They seem to nose around at a lot of startups and ideas that are like 'what if we made our warehouse workers into extremely stupid servitors' while making the work increasingly stressful and stupid. I'm honestly surprised there isn't more workplace violence done at the warehouses because it seems like the kind of environment that would drive people around the bend.

I could honestly see a scenario wherein Walmart just treats their workers marginally better while catching up to Amazon and comes out ahead in the long run, especially if they manage to reduce turnover and manhours wasted on training, interviews, all that stupid poo poo.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 11, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes there have been studied that show the more money you hand to the poorer directly the bigger the effect.

On the other side tax cuts do very very little

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Having AWS as a 30% operating income piggy bank is a huge advantage, though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alkydere posted:

the trash gaylord

a good username

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alkydere posted:

You wouldn't believe where amazon got their distribution skills from

https://www.cbronline.com/news/wal_mart_sues_amazoncom_kpcb_for_poaching_key_staff/

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gaius Marius posted:

You wouldn't believe where amazon got their distribution skills from

https://www.cbronline.com/news/wal_mart_sues_amazoncom_kpcb_for_poaching_key_staff/

No, I absolutely would. Prior to Amazon the bywords in Logistics, especially Disaster Logistics, were Walmart and Wafflehouse and one of those doesn't scale up like the other does.

Also almost nothing is actually original here.

Yawgmoth posted:

a good username

It really is. :v:

Seriously though: tiny girl trying to dump the contents of one of those giant BRUTE trashcans full of empty envelopes into the trash gaylord the janitorial staff use when the gaylords are taller than her. It wasn't gonna end well no matter what.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I kind of wonder if Amazon will eventually shoot its own distro-network in the foot by going too tech-wonk. They seem to nose around at a lot of startups and ideas that are like 'what if we made our warehouse workers into extremely stupid servitors' while making the work increasingly stressful and stupid. I'm honestly surprised there isn't more workplace violence done at the warehouses because it seems like the kind of environment that would drive people around the bend.

I could honestly see a scenario wherein Walmart just treats their workers marginally better while catching up to Amazon and comes out ahead in the long run, especially if they manage to reduce turnover and manhours wasted on training, interviews, all that stupid poo poo.

In some ways they kinda have. Managers are encouraged to try out projects to try to improve the system and. I've been here over 3 years and have yet to really see any projects that were manager-level that have yet to improve the place beyond the usual "Let's actually clean up this area that's fallen into mild disrepair". Nothing's really upped rates beyond stuff like bringing in the SmartPac machines which is actually new-ish tech and way beyond the local manager level.

On the other hand Amazon seems very aware we've hit our limit on human ability so we're constantly bombarded with messages on to keep hydrated and how to stretch and what good body mechanics are and so on and so forth.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’d never heard the term Gaylord before you started posting in this thread and it will never not just leap out at me for the absurdity of it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I’d never heard the term Gaylord before you started posting in this thread and it will never not just leap out at me for the absurdity of it.

A few other people in the thread use the term.

Don't worry though, I'd never heard of them before I started working in a warehouse. Over three years later I still giggle sometimes at the term.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Also the name of a chain of resorts around the US.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Well, yesterday I got to do I bin check in an aisle 420:420:

Sometimes it's the little bits of joy that keep us sane. I had spent the rest of the day cleaning up all the problem solve left in the Inbound Seller Support area (guess what, it wasn't the easy stuff), so I really needed it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm always amazed whenever someone at work knows what I'm talking about when I ask for "do its"

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Leal posted:

I'm always amazed whenever someone at work knows what I'm talking about when I ask for "do its"
Those little plastic stickers to hang poo poo up on hooks? I'd never heard it before I started at BigW. Everyone knows what it means but I'm still not convinced it's not a gag by the person that trained me. It makes no sense as a term.

After googling it seems like a universal term.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 12, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

The Lord Bude posted:

I remember it being used pretty liberally in middle school in the mid-late '90s

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
"Do you buy guns?" is a phrase I never thought I'd hear at work.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Update on the poo poo hole Meijer I walked out of. Three people quit after agreeing to temporarily cover the positions in receiving because Meijer still hasn't put a job posting up.

Which is exactly how I got the job. :doh:

So that means we're up to nine people quitting in the fallout of that walk-out.

:sickos:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Skulk Hogan posted:

Update on the poo poo hole Meijer I walked out of. Three people quit after agreeing to temporarily cover the positions in receiving because Meijer still hasn't put a job posting up.

Which is exactly how I got the job. :doh:

So that means we're up to nine people quitting in the fallout of that walk-out.

:sickos:

rad

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Not sure if this was the greatest move or not since it is Amazon, especially after getting out of my old job a few months ago, but I just got hired on as a customer service desk jockey for the local-ish Whole Foods in my area. From the way it sounds, they want me mid-shift to closing whenever I'm on, which does kinda suck since the local bus system doesn't head back to my neck of the woods past like, 5:30. Though, between making $3+ more than what I was running the video game store, the stimmy, and trying to get my poo poo together, I would hopefully like to have a vehicle on the road by the end of the year (preferable much, much sooner), and Uber isn't terrible where I am either, so there's that. And from what I was hearing, the job was basically what I was doing over at my old place, just with much less accountability, a corporate structure above me so I wouldn't just keep bouncing off of an absentee owner in case things went sideways, and actual benefits for working above "you get paid".

Once more, into the breach...

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
"Man, work sucks. Why the gently caress am I awake right now. I want the world to be dead. I- is that a puppy?"

"Holy poo poo"

I would die for you, creature I met for five minutes

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

So yesterday I was stocking in a grocery aisle and this lady wearing a chin diaper comes up to me and asks where the jello is. I point her to where it is just to get her away from me. Unfortunately in my haste I forgot my cart of freight was parked right next to said jello. Whatever I’ll just work from the side furthest away.

So I go about my job and this lady is still looking at the jello, then she gets a phone call. Of course she completely takes off her mask to answer it. She also leaves it on speaker phone so I get to overhear her conversation.

What what was the call about you may ask?

It was the local hospital calling to confirm her date for a bloody loving COVID TEST.

I look at her dumb founded - loving furious that this idiot poo poo gently caress is still standing there polluting my god drat air. I had to loving leave and chill over in another aisle for a little while to calm down and pray she didn’t taint the freight I still needed to stock.

God drat I’m still loving angry over this, and I hope to the Almighty that she didn’t infect me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That is infuriating. People like that should be put in camps until this is over.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Durendal posted:

So yesterday I was stocking in a grocery aisle and this lady wearing a chin diaper comes up to me and asks where the jello is. I point her to where it is just to get her away from me. Unfortunately in my haste I forgot my cart of freight was parked right next to said jello. Whatever I’ll just work from the side furthest away.

So I go about my job and this lady is still looking at the jello, then she gets a phone call. Of course she completely takes off her mask to answer it. She also leaves it on speaker phone so I get to overhear her conversation.

What what was the call about you may ask?

It was the local hospital calling to confirm her date for a bloody loving COVID TEST.

I look at her dumb founded - loving furious that this idiot poo poo gently caress is still standing there polluting my god drat air. I had to loving leave and chill over in another aisle for a little while to calm down and pray she didn’t taint the freight I still needed to stock.

God drat I’m still loving angry over this, and I hope to the Almighty that she didn’t infect me.

America was a mistake.

With all the vaccine stuff, there is hope on the horizon, but there’s going to be so much privilege of “I got the vaccine , I don’t need to wear a mask” and so many people pretending they got the vaccine when they didn’t. And it all assumes the vaccines do legit work, which if they don’t we’re gonna be hosed.

My work requires a mask and at least still lets us enforce it, but people are so stupid like this about it. People will walk in and wait until they’re inside the store to put on a mask. People will do the above: for whatever reason when they get a call it’s “oh I have to take my mask off.” Like, your phone can still pickup your voice , keep that poo poo on.

People will pull their mask to unlock their phone, and then not pull it back up. Another thing that drives me insane.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My favourite mask related thing is the people who wander around with the mask down around their chin not covering their nose or their mouth, as if it was a goddamn RPG amulet that could boost their disease resistance just from equipping it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about yall but I am keeping the mask on when anywhere not at home or in my car because gently caress these fuckers.

I do love how in my state, the vaccines go by age instead of, you know, actual need. So you are 65 and retired? VACCINE! You are 40 and working in a grocery store? Try again later!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Saw this and thought of y'all:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody else here love their job? I feel more than compensated for my work and gladly give that extra 10% to make my store succeed. Every day I leave knowing I helped my store, and the people of my community.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Gaius Marius posted:

Anybody else here love their job? I feel more than compensated for my work and gladly give that extra 10% to make my store succeed. Every day I leave knowing I helped my store, and the people of my community.

Not sure which thread you intended this post for, but this is the Retail Thread

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My "favorite" mask thing is alright you got a couple

One person has a mask on

The other doesn't

The gently caress is the logic here

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

:getout:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Leal posted:

My "favorite" mask thing is alright you got a couple

One person has a mask on

The other doesn't

The gently caress is the logic here

The guy (and it's basically always the guy) is a total rear end in a top hat.

Anyways I threw my back out at work and am lying on the couch at home right now. Fun stuff. Thankfully seems minor so I won't use much sick time hopefully.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Goons on their feet all day, anyone else dealing with heel spurs? I swear my right heel is killing me, and reviews are all over the drat place on Amazon for night splints.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Goons on their feet all day, anyone else dealing with heel spurs? I swear my right heel is killing me, and reviews are all over the drat place on Amazon for night splints.

I assume you already wear them, but are you wearing good in soles with your sneakers ? I cannot recommend upgrading in soles enough.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I assume you already wear them, but are you wearing good in soles with your sneakers ? I cannot recommend upgrading in soles enough.

Yeah the insoles shoes come with, especially "work" shoes, are trash and should be replaced and thrown away ASAP.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Oh yeah any recommendations for some good insoles would be great. I've gotten a few different ones from Amazon but nothing I've tried has worked for the pain in my feet at the end of a shift. The Dr. Shols ones from the drug store actually work pretty good for me, but they don't last long and I don't want to have to buy a new pair every month. I'd rather spend more on something that will last at least 6 months.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If you're going to post bait, you need to do a better job of disguising it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jingleheimer posted:

Oh yeah any recommendations for some good insoles would be great. I've gotten a few different ones from Amazon but nothing I've tried has worked for the pain in my feet at the end of a shift. The Dr. Shols ones from the drug store actually work pretty good for me, but they don't last long and I don't want to have to buy a new pair every month. I'd rather spend more on something that will last at least 6 months.

This.

I've been using these for the week (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MSZT8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and they feel great so far but I need something perhaps for overnight, and wearing these all night probably won't help too much, hence thinking a night splint. And these little fuckers can be a pain to get to stay put when putting on socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yeah I've had pain in my feet for years, and last july I was diagnosed with a degenerative disease that means I'm probably disabled for life.