Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

pog boyfriend posted:

you can always lean on custom lineages and just do this without having to repeatedly cast spells

Yes, that's what I was going to do, pick up eldritch adept at level 1 and take mask of many faces, which lets you cast disguise self at will without using a spell slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

change my name posted:

Being able to cast a spell at will still requires components unless it says otherwise, right? For my fathomless warlock, I was thinking of a goblin who was saved by something terrible and unknowable after his smuggling boat was wrecked, and had stolen his halfling shipmate's life Don Draper style via mask of many faces. The only problem with that is having to visually/verbally cast disguise self every hour...

A spell focus such as a wand or staff may be used in lieu of 0 cost components.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

change my name posted:

Yes, that's what I was going to do, pick up eldritch adept at level 1 and take mask of many faces, which lets you cast disguise self at will without using a spell slot.

well what i mean is custom lineage thus:

quote:

Instead of choosing one of the game’s races for your character at 1st level, you can use the following traits to represent your character’s lineage, giving you full control over how your character’s origin shaped them:

you can just use that to say "i am goblin who look like halfling" and there is nothing in the rules prohibiting this

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

pog boyfriend posted:

you can just use that to say "i am goblin who look like halfling" and there is nothing in the rules prohibiting this

Actually this is probably the way to go, I'll just say I was transmogrified by my patron

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My advice is to talk to your DM about it to make it interesting in the form of some downsides that could possibly lead to fun interactions. For example, the transmogrification isn't perfect, so your teeth are still a bit too pointy, you have a yellow tint in your eyes, and maybe vintiligo-like patches of green skin over your body? That way the DM can roll to see if an NPC notices it, which could lead to fun complications in the narrative, and you have to be careful when changing clothes or when you're in a bathhouse or whatever.

I remember years and years ago in 3.5 I had a fairly specific character in mind, a halfling that was grew up fending for himself in the wilderness from a young age. I built him as a druid (IIRC) with a boar animal companion that he rode around on, just casting spells and slinging stones, trying to stay out of melee but if that did happen have to boar do the attacks. The problem was that at level 1 he technically didn't have access to a boar as an animal companion (minimum level 3 or 4 I think?) and he needed some feats or skills to make the mounted combat not suck completely. We talked about it quite a bit and found a good compromise, part of which was that my character was illiterate and only spoke a very basic common, no other languages. That was part of the background anyway, because the only contact with civilization was going into a village once a month or two for supplies he couldn't forage in the wilderness, so it made perfect sense.

Point is, talk to your DM and be creative, and there's a ton of ways to make things the way you have in mind for your character while still being balanced.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Actually, scrap that all. I think going with the reborn from the new UA could be good, he'll just look like a goblin and have to cover up his gills + webbed hands (since fathomless pact gives you water breathing and a swimming speed).

change my name fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 11, 2021

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Taeke posted:

My advice is to talk to your DM about it to make it interesting in the form of some downsides that could possibly lead to fun interactions. For example, the transmogrification isn't perfect, so your teeth are still a bit too pointy, you have a yellow tint in your eyes, and maybe vintiligo-like patches of green skin over your body? That way the DM can roll to see if an NPC notices it, which could lead to fun complications in the narrative, and you have to be careful when changing clothes or when you're in a bathhouse or whatever.

I remember years and years ago in 3.5 I had a fairly specific character in mind, a halfling that was grew up fending for himself in the wilderness from a young age. I built him as a druid (IIRC) with a boar animal companion that he rode around on, just casting spells and slinging stones, trying to stay out of melee but if that did happen have to boar do the attacks. The problem was that at level 1 he technically didn't have access to a boar as an animal companion (minimum level 3 or 4 I think?) and he needed some feats or skills to make the mounted combat not suck completely. We talked about it quite a bit and found a good compromise, part of which was that my character was illiterate and only spoke a very basic common, no other languages. That was part of the background anyway, because the only contact with civilization was going into a village once a month or two for supplies he couldn't forage in the wilderness, so it made perfect sense.

Point is, talk to your DM and be creative, and there's a ton of ways to make things the way you have in mind for your character while still being balanced.

my players all know they can talk to me and i can make it work unless they want something like "when my character gets mad they release their true form and become a level 20 antipaladin" or whatever, but 'talk to your dm to make a creative and balanced homebrew' should not be the go to advice

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Has anyone played a Groundhog Day scenario in 5e, either as a player or DM, and if so, what would your takeaway be? I am trying to build one for a group I DM. The group will likely be level 6 or 7 then, and I expect the looped scenario to run 2 in game hours.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Mash posted:

Has anyone played a Groundhog Day scenario in 5e, either as a player or DM, and if so, what would your takeaway be? I am trying to build one for a group I DM. The group will likely be level 6 or 7 then, and I expect the looped scenario to run 2 in game hours.

i did it and everyone loved it and they reference it years later. the way i made mine work is have poo poo get really bad at the end of the loop and structure the arc around figuring out why things get so bad. also, i made a spreadsheet for every single npc that existed in the area and where they could be found ahead of time and prepared a number of maps. my one trick that i pulled was the party is looping but i added a second party(not really an antagonist though) who also was aware of the loops and was changing stuff from time to time and messing with them

E: after first, or second loop, let them know this is a loop. also, very important -- give them the ability to do stuff on auto play and fast forward through stuff they already did. if you convinced the mayor to give you the keys in one loop you can always do this.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 11, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

pog boyfriend posted:

i did it and everyone loved it and they reference it years later. the way i made mine work is have poo poo get really bad at the end of the loop and structure the arc around figuring out why things get so bad. also, i made a spreadsheet for every single npc that existed in the area and where they could be found ahead of time and prepared a number of maps. my one trick that i pulled was the party is looping but i added a second party(not really an antagonist though) who also was aware of the loops and was changing stuff from time to time and messing with them

E: after first, or second loop, let them know this is a loop. also, very important -- give them the ability to do stuff on auto play and fast forward through stuff they already did. if you convinced the mayor to give you the keys in one loop you can always do this.

Don't forget to include an authority figure yelling at the party and loving up they're backswing while they're hitting balls into a teleportation circle.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

STOP THE PRESSES

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1370102732082843648

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hell yeah fairy barbarian.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hip hop hoppity I'm taking your property

wait that doesn't work nevermind

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

That Rabbit Hop ability seems really odd. Getting an extra 1-12 feet of movement in a game played typically on a five-foot grid.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ArchRanger posted:

That Rabbit Hop ability seems really odd. Getting an extra 1-12 feet of movement in a game played typically on a five-foot grid.

If it's:

1-5 = +5 ft
6-10 = +10 ft
11-12 = +15 ft

that kinda works.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
It’s the same wonkiness you get with long jump distances letting you jump your strength score in feet.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
DnD 5th in a nutshell

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nemo posted:

It’s the same wonkiness you get with long jump distances letting you jump your strength score in feet.

But that usually doesn't come up in fights in my experience. It's more for stuff like jumping across a 6-foot chasm in theater of the mind.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

pog boyfriend posted:

I would love to hear some more about this. What was the scenario? What was the other party up to in this case?

Did you have trouble keeping combat interesting given they might get into repetitive types of fights?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Hobgoblin of the Feywild:
Hospitality. You and the target of your Help action each gain a number of temporary hit points equal to 1d6 plus your proficiency bonus.

just gonna make a Fey Hobgoblin Mastermind and hand out temporary HP twice/round forever

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I sat down tonight to do some proper note-taking for the Avernus portion of Descent into Avernus, and I'm frankly blown away by just how totally awful it is as written. Like, I'd skimmed it originally and was aware I was going to be completely taking it apart to put back together because of its "two railroads" structure but, holy poo poo, it's so bad. My plan to rip it apart and just change how each location is used basically won't function without a huge amount of work because most of the locations are literally just that you show up and then an NPC tells you to go somewhere else.

Spoilers for Avernus obviously:
So, unless I'm misreading this, levelling from 7 to 11 on the Path of Devils, assuming the party don't try to take Sunstar off his tree, the fights in total are an optional fight against three wereboars and two wererats in a war machine, a fight against two banshees and a treant, a fight with six vrocks, of whom three will run away, and maybe a fight with a Avernian warband, assuming the party don't just hightail it out now they have what they want. Extra optional fights (assuming the party don't go out of their way to fight things non-hostile to them) are three banshees, three shambling mounds (both avoidable by passing a DC:15 survival check) five bony CR:1/4 snails, and ten CR:1/8 stirges.

So potentially, two combats over four levels. Four if the players don't run from the two warlord fights. Six if the players fail the Survival check at least twice. Level 10 characters fighting snails and stirges do not merit the definition of "fight". Otherwise it's entirely "go here. OK, now go here. OK, now go here."

Time to go make a fuckton of maps and characters and homebrew Avernus I guess.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Disargeria posted:

I would love to hear some more about this. What was the scenario? What was the other party up to in this case?

Did you have trouble keeping combat interesting given they might get into repetitive types of fights?

the main scenario is this: this takes place in a small area looping. the area is a town built on the graveyard of the dying goddess of time(unbeknownst to every single person there save for one). in the past, a community of displaced tieflings are refugees in a village. there is increasing drama and hostility between the residents and the refugees, and the reason is because a lich is aware this village is built on this graveyard and has a plot to kill every person in the village to power a ritual to create a portal to the abyss and let a demon lord out. in the regular timeline one of the characters father(the relation is simply a narratively convenient coincidence) stumbles onto the phylactery, deduces the lich is behind all the bad things, and kills the lich to prevent this.

in the future, an antagonistic organization to the party is attempting to research how to summon stronger beings than is normally possible. they had found out about this lich and while the ritual was stopped, they realized they could use the dying corpse of the goddess of time to travel back to when this happened and study the ritual to learn how it is done. this is the other person - a wizard and elite agent sent to investigate. the party meanwhile was called by the spirit of this goddess who drew them in so that the party could put her to rest once and for all and stop the timeline from looping. throughout the arc, the party was introduced to what seemed like at first a murder mystery but it was eventually made clear the murder was a catalyst to ignite the powderkeg of tension the lich had been building up so that both sides(the refugees and townspeople) would kill each other all at once so the lich could activate this ritual. some other things happened but that isnt important at all

the other wizard was a clever and resourceful woman who was much higher level than the party, but also a single person versus 5 and so would lose in a direct conflict. so, instead, she used subterfuge, illusion magic, etc, and subtly messed with the timeline, using geas spells on party members to turn them on each other. she creates this loop by preventing the phylactery from being destroyed.

as for combat, there were naturally demons(from the abyss), and undead(from the lich), but there were also powerful NPCs in the town and just in general if you get hit with a bunch of arrows you die. if the players ever died as long as one person survived until the end of the loop everyone was resurrected and so people died a lot. in the tomb there were also constructs that were supposed to guard the goddesses resting chamber. there wasnt a lot of repetitive fights because the party used their knowledge of what happens and where people are to avoid battle

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Reveilled posted:

I sat down tonight to do some proper note-taking for the Avernus portion of Descent into Avernus, and I'm frankly blown away by just how totally awful it is as written. Like, I'd skimmed it originally and was aware I was going to be completely taking it apart to put back together because of its "two railroads" structure but, holy poo poo, it's so bad. My plan to rip it apart and just change how each location is used basically won't function without a huge amount of work because most of the locations are literally just that you show up and then an NPC tells you to go somewhere else.

Spoilers for Avernus obviously:
So, unless I'm misreading this, levelling from 7 to 11 on the Path of Devils, assuming the party don't try to take Sunstar off his tree, the fights in total are an optional fight against three wereboars and two wererats in a war machine, a fight against two banshees and a treant, a fight with six vrocks, of whom three will run away, and maybe a fight with a Avernian warband, assuming the party don't just hightail it out now they have what they want. Extra optional fights (assuming the party don't go out of their way to fight things non-hostile to them) are three banshees, three shambling mounds (both avoidable by passing a DC:15 survival check) five bony CR:1/4 snails, and ten CR:1/8 stirges.

So potentially, two combats over four levels. Four if the players don't run from the two warlord fights. Six if the players fail the Survival check at least twice. Level 10 characters fighting snails and stirges do not merit the definition of "fight". Otherwise it's entirely "go here. OK, now go here. OK, now go here."

Time to go make a fuckton of maps and characters and homebrew Avernus I guess.

I'm also doing some early prep to run this campaign and I bought this which seems pretty helpful: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/295015

It has some suggestions for reorganizing the links between locations to make it more of a sandbox as well as two new mini-adventures for that chapter (which I haven't read yet so can't speak to the quality).

Fishes_Swim
Aug 18, 2003

Free the rigatoni

pog boyfriend posted:

as for combat, there were naturally demons(from the abyss), and undead(from the lich), but there were also powerful NPCs in the town and just in general if you get hit with a bunch of arrows you die. if the players ever died as long as one person survived until the end of the loop everyone was resurrected and so people died a lot. in the tomb there were also constructs that were supposed to guard the goddesses resting chamber. there wasnt a lot of repetitive fights because the party used their knowledge of what happens and where people are to avoid battle

This sounds pretty interesting. Did you give them more challenging fights that the players attempted multiple times before completing? If so, was that an enjoyable part of the scenario?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

give us the Kangaroo race you cowards

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

give us the Kangaroo race you cowards

kangaroo barbarian who charges feet first into battle like a fuzzy battering ram

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Finally I can live out my dream of playing Owl from the Hundred Acre Wood as a devious, duplicitous warlock.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

TotalHell posted:

Finally I can live out my dream of playing Owl from the Hundred Acre Wood as a devious, duplicitous warlock.

I will once again stump for Humblewood, then

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Azathoth posted:

kangaroo barbarian who charges feet first into battle like a fuzzy battering ram

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Anyone know if there's any homebrew that tries to make Artificer work as a crafting class rather than how it works in official 5e? The WotC version doesn't really scratch the itch that I want scratched.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

But that usually doesn't come up in fights in my experience. It's more for stuff like jumping across a 6-foot chasm in theater of the mind.

Man that'd be a terrible use of it, 50% chance of just dying. I guess there's not specifically a rule there that says you can't add the D12 to the result of a long jump (it does specifically bar you from using it with a standing long jump though).

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Sampatrick posted:

Anyone know if there's any homebrew that tries to make Artificer work as a crafting class rather than how it works in official 5e? The WotC version doesn't really scratch the itch that I want scratched.

As a DM I just ask my artificer character for specific components and/or a specific amount of gold (representing common reagents and raw materials) when he wants to manufacture an item that is not one of the class features. The more potent the item or the more exotic the effect, the more likely some kind of quest will be involved, whether that means seeking out an expert in the field and convincing them to help, or procuring rare mechanical components or magical reagents.

I think using that instinct as negotiating grounds for quest hooks is probably the most fruitful thing to do.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So after some years I decided to get back into D&D (5E, of course), joining a friend's Dark Sun campaign. Decided I wanted to make a healy-healer (so, as bent towards keeping people healthy as possible), so of course I go Cleric. However, Clerics in Dark Sun can only take two domains, Light and something else (So I can't take Life). One of my fellow players thinks that maybe I should consider instead a druid (which also tied into my character's backstory) for being a healy-healer so we're looking at that. She said that a homebrew druid might give me some options I otherwise I don't have, but from my basic research, no dice. So, should if I want to play a healy-healer in Dark Sun, should I stick with the original idea of a Cleric (with Light, as that's the closer domain)? Druid with Path of the Shepard? Is there some homebrew Druid path that would be useful?

We're starting at Level 3 BTW.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cornwind Evil posted:

So after some years I decided to get back into D&D (5E, of course), joining a friend's Dark Sun campaign. Decided I wanted to make a healy-healer (so, as bent towards keeping people healthy as possible), so of course I go Cleric. However, Clerics in Dark Sun can only take two domains, Light and something else (So I can't take Life). One of my fellow players thinks that maybe I should consider instead a druid (which also tied into my character's backstory) for being a healy-healer so we're looking at that. She said that a homebrew druid might give me some options I otherwise I don't have, but from my basic research, no dice. So, should if I want to play a healy-healer in Dark Sun, should I stick with the original idea of a Cleric (with Light, as that's the closer domain)? Druid with Path of the Shepard? Is there some homebrew Druid path that would be useful?

Will your DM let you play as a Templar of the Sorcerer Kings? I am running a 5e Dark Sun campaign myself. Templars cast as clerics:

https://www.pvv.ntnu.no/%7Eleirbakk/rpg/adnd/classesandkits/templars.html

Otherwise I would personally go with Druid. Druid magic is very powerful in Dark Sun, and doesn't have any baggage attached to it like wizard or cleric magic

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
If I wanted to play a healy healer I’d play a Way of Mercy Monk from Tasha’s. If you look past the stupid mask stuff they seem like a lot of fun. Punch, kick, heal!

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Fishes_Swim posted:

This sounds pretty interesting. Did you give them more challenging fights that the players attempted multiple times before completing? If so, was that an enjoyable part of the scenario?

i did but they didnt take them, having completed the best and most important fights. the key impetus of this arc was exploring the relationships between the townspeople, finding the secrets of the area, and avoiding death, so while there was an option to go back and challenge the bosses in the arc... it never happened

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've been re-playing Pool of Radiance and I've realized everyone I play tabletop with is a relative virgin and would have absolutely no idea what was going to happen if I led them through the old "ruins of adventure" module.

Is anyone aware of a good update of it for 5e, ideally with scale maps?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Cornwind Evil posted:

I played a Circle of Dreams Druid for a while and really enjoyed it. Balm of the Summer Court is some good extra healing on top of the available healing spells you get.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

my players all know they can talk to me and i can make it work unless they want something like "when my character gets mad they release their true form and become a level 20 antipaladin" or whatever, but 'talk to your dm to make a creative and balanced homebrew' should not be the go to advice

I know, and my example might've been bad because that was an actual homebrew kind of thing. My intent was to build on the idea they already had and suggest ways to make it more interesting than just "I'm going to be a halfling that's secretly a goblin without consequences other than when I choose to roleplay them."

Which they did!

change my name posted:

Actually, scrap that all. I think going with the reborn from the new UA could be good, he'll just look like a goblin and have to cover up his gills + webbed hands (since fathomless pact gives you water breathing and a swimming speed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cornwind Evil posted:

Healing magic in general in 5e is mostly for picking people up off the floor, not so much keeping them topped off. But druids do get a couple of decent healing options to use outside of combat. Goodberry is 10HP for 1 L1 spell slot (plus ten turns to eat the berries), which is both efficient and reliable. Healing Spirit scales well -- cast it with an L3 slot and get like 10d6 healing (across 5 turns) depending on your WIS/level. And druids still get Healing Word, and as of Tasha's they get Revivify.

If you were a Life domain cleric you'd get that channel divinity that can restore a huge chunk of HP to several friends, and if you were a paladin you'd get Lay On Hands which can give a big chunk to one person...those are the main sources of healing I can think of that druids don't have access to.