Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

serious gaylord posted:

There are currently 5 IOPC investigations going on into the Sarah Everard case.

1 about how the Met responded to the initial report of her going missing.
1 about how they arrested the officer.
1 for how he got injured in custody.
1 about how she went missing in the first place (This is starting to sound like he might have been in uniform/in a marked car)

And finally one about how they swept an indecent exposure allegation against the murderer on the 28th of Feb under the rug.

Absolutely institutional failure.

Is there any good reading someone who really struggles daily to be a good feminist due to inherent toxic masculinity (me) can go to read what should be done to increase the safety of women in the UK?

kingturnip posted:

I can't decide if it's reassuring to see Jess Phillips making the most of an opportunity for self-promotion, or horrific.
Society may have accepted dead women, but it's also accepted dead teenagers in inner cities. It's a shame Jess Phillips doesn't give a poo poo about them.

Listening to the BBC, it was interesting that more women are murdered by people they know, as if that was important, vs almost double of murder victims being male. What am I missing that makes women who are murdered more important than double the amount of men last year? The only thing I can think of is the idea that men are dying because they are implicit in the violence that occurs where as women only ever have violence imposed upon them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm working from memory but I think the murder rate is something like 95% committed by men, which is a significant bit of context to the other statistics. (e: 92%)

I also admit I kind of laughed when you can see harold shipman on the murder chart because they enter them based on date of offense being recorded so he adds a huge spike to the graph when they convicted him.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

willie_dee posted:

Is there any good reading someone who really struggles daily to be a good feminist due to inherent toxic masculinity (me) can go to read what should be done to increase the safety of women in the UK?
My partner was telling me yesterday there's a bunch of chat on the local web groups for South London about what men can do to help women feel safer. Sounds like a lot of it boils down to recognising that women are always likely to consider you a threat & acting accordingly (personal space, don't walk behind women at night, cross the road if necessary, that sort of thing).

I realise that you said "safety" rather than "perceived safety" though, so you could maybe try killing all pigs?

Also try not to do any sex crimes.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

OwlFancier posted:

I'm working from memory but I think the murder rate is something like 95% committed by men, which is a significant bit of context to the other statistics. (e: 92%)

I also admit I kind of laughed when you can see harold shipman on the murder chart because they enter them based on date of offense being recorded so he adds a huge spike to the graph when they convicted him.

That makes sense, especially when you add in the relationship element.

I know there’s Claire’s Law abs Sarah’s law people can do to find out if someone’s been convicted of a crime, where you can find out if you are at risk. I’m wondering could this be expanded? If domestic abuse can be seen as unforgivable as drink driving standards wise (bar by people who do drink drive) then maybe once you’ve been convicted of beating up a woman you have that stigma in society forever.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Becoming a better ally is an ongoing process that starts with your willingness to listen to - fully listen to and try to understand - the voices of those you want to be an ally to. You're not going to read a single article, go "that makes sense" and immediately shed an entire upbringing's worth of ingrained sexism, racism, homophobia or transphobia.

By reading what women write, thinking about what you read and relating it to your own attitudes and behaviours, both past and present, you will experience some uncomfortable realisations and start to internalise why those attitudes and behaviours are... Not great. Which leads to breaking out of the patterns, gradually. Like all brain changes it's a stressful process which is why you get a lot of people choosing the easier route of just rejecting the idea that those behaviours are even a problem, or that they have ever exhibited those behaviours (hashtag not all men).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Get a dog.

The only times I am outside at night it's when I'm walking my Nina dog.
Whenever I do encounter people at night, I have to give them space (because that's what you do when walking a dog, to prevent them from trying to jump up.) And people seem more at ease because you have an obvious reason for being out there, and not just cruising.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Listening to the BBC, it was interesting that more women are murdered by people they know, as if that was important, vs almost double of murder victims being male. What am I missing that makes women who are murdered more important than double the amount of men last year? The only thing I can think of is the idea that men are dying because they are implicit in the violence that occurs where as women only ever have violence imposed upon them.

It is personally a bit frustrating to see the "but what about men"? question pop up. I know it's not what you mean, you're more asking, if we care about murder then why are we discussing it in relation to one group but not another? But all of this discussion is happening in response to a particular set of events and it's ok for the country to dwell on related issues for a bit. It's also that there's a common factor in lots of killings of women (sex & relationships) so maybe there is a related set of steps that could be taken to significantly reduce homicidal violence against women. Whereas for homicides against men, there may be many different underlying factors - partner violence, yes, but also crime/gangs, general personal aggressiveness, financial disputes, and so on - that require different conversations and solutions.

I would like to think that something might change but I feel like these conversations have been had over and over for decades and gender- and sex- based violence still looms large. I have spoken to men this week who were not only surprised at the 97% of women have been sexually harassed statistic, but surprised that none of the women they spoke to were surprised. Obviously getting street harassed is nothing like physical assault but it potentially comes from the same well of sexism - and makes you feel targeted simply for being a woman.

I usually conduct my life with little concern about these things - for many reasons I feel my probability of experiencing sexual or other violence is low, and I feel totally comfortable taking my quiet walks at night and listening to a book. So much so that it took me a moment to twig why another woman ran away from me recently (I'm tiny, but I was in dark clothes and crossed to her side of the street). Reflecting on it this week, I realised an unfit man of average height could overpower me easily despite me being fairly strong for my size. As could an average sized woman I guess, but somehow my probabilistic thinking doesn't make me worry as much about that.

TreeTrunks
Aug 16, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Get a dog.

The only times I am outside at night it's when I'm walking my Nina dog.
Whenever I do encounter people at night, I have to give them space (because that's what you do when walking a dog, to prevent them from trying to jump up.) And people seem more at ease because you have an obvious reason for being out there, and not just cruising.

I appreciate you being mindful of giving people space, but I'm also wary of men walking dogs alone at night.

This is no reflection of you, I don't know you, it's a reflection of how scary it is to be alone outdoors, as a woman, at night. I was told to put my door key in my fist to use as a weapon, just in case, when I walked home from an after junior school club in winter when it was getting darker outside.

Every female-presenting person I know has had a similar 'talk' and every female presenting person I know has experienced some form of sexual assault.

Apologies if this is not the time or the place for this post.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really mind being aware of the fact that I resemble a large murderous gorilla. Frankly if people didn't avoid me I would think there was something wrong with them. I would avoid me if I saw me.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Man looking like he has a fake 'Marcel Wave' rubber chin here.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Whenever I see someone walking a dog after 10pm I assume they're a serial killer using the dog as an excuse to cruise.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Have any of you with no health issues been told about your covid jab yet?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TreeTrunks posted:

Apologies if this is not the time or the place for this post.

I think it's always the time and place for that.

I cross the street whenever possible in circumstances where being a Large Man could freak someone out, and I try to remember as much as possible to offer to walk people home or check in on them or whatever. I've also inserted myself to defuse some obvious public displays of DV over the years, but tbh there's also probably been many times where I just had a bad feeling and didn't say or do anything. And the times I've gotten involved I may not have always handled it great or even ended up making it worse in the long run, I don't really know :smith:

stev posted:

Whenever I see someone walking a dog after 10pm I assume they're a serial killer using the dog as an excuse to cruise.

If they have a cat on a lead just run

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

TreeTrunks posted:

This is no reflection of you, I don't know you, it's a reflection of how scary it is to be alone outdoors, as a woman, at night. I was told to put my door key in my fist to use as a weapon, just in case, when I walked home from an after junior school club in winter when it was getting darker outside.

My partner was literally today talking about how she and every other woman she knows was taught to do this, you're entirely right

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jippa posted:

Have any of you with no health issues been told about your covid jab yet?

I'm in Wales. I have no health issues and I'm 60. I got a letter a few days ago giving me an appointment for Monday. Another friend similar - she's a year older than me and having her first one on Sunday. My sister (59) and my niece (28) had their first jabs about a month ago - they both have health issues.

I was talking to one of the other people who lives in my block, she's in her mid 80s and all the other 80+ people in the block had had theirs but she heard nothing. Then someone said it might be because she hadn't been to her GP for 10 years so they might not know about her.

So she called the doc and sure enough, they had removed her from their lists as she hadn't been for 10 years and she got an appointment fairly soon afterwards.

Harassment chat:

A male friend with very long hair down to his bum bought something quite large and it was hanging in a bag over his shoulder (Saturday afternoon in a busy London street!). From behind, he looked as if he were female. He said to me next time I saw him that it was the first time he had any clue what it might be like to be a woman because he was cat-called, overheard comments and so on coming from behind him from guys who obviously thought he was a woman.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 12, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

jacksbrat posted:

It is personally a bit frustrating to see the "but what about men"? question pop up. I know it's not what you mean, you're more asking, if we care about murder then why are we discussing it in relation to one group but not another? But all of this discussion is happening in response to a particular set of events and it's ok for the country to dwell on related issues for a bit. It's also that there's a common factor in lots of killings of women (sex & relationships) so maybe there is a related set of steps that could be taken to significantly reduce homicidal violence against women. Whereas for homicides against men, there may be many different underlying factors - partner violence, yes, but also crime/gangs, general personal aggressiveness, financial disputes, and so on - that require different conversations and solutions.

I would like to think that something might change but I feel like these conversations have been had over and over for decades and gender- and sex- based violence still looms large. I have spoken to men this week who were not only surprised at the 97% of women have been sexually harassed statistic, but surprised that none of the women they spoke to were surprised. Obviously getting street harassed is nothing like physical assault but it potentially comes from the same well of sexism - and makes you feel targeted simply for being a woman.

I usually conduct my life with little concern about these things - for many reasons I feel my probability of experiencing sexual or other violence is low, and I feel totally comfortable taking my quiet walks at night and listening to a book. So much so that it took me a moment to twig why another woman ran away from me recently (I'm tiny, but I was in dark clothes and crossed to her side of the street). Reflecting on it this week, I realised an unfit man of average height could overpower me easily despite me being fairly strong for my size. As could an average sized woman I guess, but somehow my probabilistic thinking doesn't make me worry as much about that.

Are you sure about that? Sometimes I think men don't realise just how much stronger they are than women. Mind you I think the reverse is true as well, I've helped women in my family carry things and they've said "be careful it's very heavy" so I've braced myself to lift something heavy and nearly ended up throwing it into the air.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

There's always clerical errors too - a friend with health issues (& frequent appointments, so definitely still on the books!) hadn't heard anything so called her GP, and there had been some mistake along the way. She's getting it today :toot:

If you think your age group/risk category should have had it by now and they're on to the next one, you should probably check. I think different areas/GPs are going at different speeds.

I'm some months away but almost certainly going to get mine before my mum and maybe my health-issues-having dad because I was smrt enough to emigrate to GRATE BRITANE.

bessantj posted:

Are you sure about that? Sometimes I think men don't realise just how much stronger they are than women. Mind you I think the reverse is true as well, I've helped women in my family carry things and they've said "be careful it's very heavy" so I've braced myself to lift something heavy and nearly ended up throwing it into the air.

I am very smol which is why I think other women could beat me up. But that's why I specified that even an unfit man would be strong enough to completely neutralise me. It's quite sad to lift heavy things in the home gym all the time and know it's not really going to save you.

jacksbrat fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 12, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bessantj posted:

This is true too. I was just saying this the other day when myself and another woman were struggling to lift a cupboard into a car.
Despite my size, I'm not that strong (actually one of my PE teachers wrote on my school report once 'she has outgrown her strength'.) I say to my brother if he's helping me with anything "Be careful it's really heavy" and he hoists it on his shoulder as if it were a bag of feathers.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

My partner is a hard-as-nails sarf london lass & I'm fairly sure she could beat up quite a lot of men. Her take is still "please cross the road" as she would prefer not to have to think about it.

e: off-topic the barbers are opening up in Wales on Monday & most people haven't noticed yet, I just managed to get an appointment for Monday afternoon & omg I am so happy (I already needed one & had an appointment right before the last lockdown was announced in December), just a heads-up for any Wales goons (Cymrwns?) who might want to beat the rush :)

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 12, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

'she has outgrown her strength

Lol that's a classic report card burn, I could see why you would remember that a half century later

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the BBC continues its slow decline towards the unenviable status of state broadcaster: https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1370256264509464577?s=19

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol that's a classic report card burn, I could see why you would remember that a half century later

That's nothing. One of my brothers who was always getting into trouble for fighting got "he behaves like a vengeful tomcat on heat" back in the days when you could write things like that on kids' reports!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's nothing. One of my brothers who was always getting into trouble for fighting got "he behaves like a vengeful tomcat on heat" back in the days when you could write things like that on kids' reports!

Lol, "too horny and angry for school!"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Venomous posted:

the BBC continues its slow decline towards the unenviable status of state broadcaster: https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1370256264509464577?s=19

luv 2 live on rainy fash island, where even milquetoast left of centre comedy is just too spicy for our lovely authoritarian palates

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Has a year of lockdowns resulted in an increase or decrease in murders? I guess it would be interesting to consider that against the old stats about how most women who are killed are victims of people they know. Like theres not much point in calling for a male 6pm curfew if you're just increasing the chances of people getting murdered. I assume to be honest lockdown hasn't increased the murder rate but probably has the incidence of domestic violence against women.

I agree theres a big difference between safety and perceived safety and its probably valuable to separate the two quite distinctly when forming strategies to combat them. The actions men might be asked to take to alter their behaviour would be very different in each instance. The curfew idea would not be to save womens lives (directly) but to increase their perceived safety. Actions which might reduce their likelihood of being murdered are obviously education, but more acutely could be things like altering consumption of media, from generally sexist things to outright pornography. Access to mental health care would surely be important.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

jacksbrat posted:

I am very smol which is why I think other women could beat me up. But that's why I specified that even an unfit man would be strong enough to completely neutralise me. It's quite sad to lift heavy things in the home gym all the time and know it's not really going to save you.

Unless you're ant sized you're probably stronger than you think you are.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is true too. I was just saying this the other day when myself and another woman were struggling to lift a cupboard into a car.
Despite my size, I'm not that strong (actually one of my PE teachers wrote on my school report once 'she has outgrown her strength'.) I say to my brother if he's helping me with anything "Be careful it's really heavy" and he hoists it on his shoulder as if it were a bag of feathers.

It's good to know in the gynocracy of the future men will still have one use.

Venomous posted:

Why the 'free speech' right will be up in arms about this surely!

bessantj fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 12, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

Unless you're ant sized you're probably stronger than you think you are.

Ants: famously not strong for their size

(E: please ignore, I'm just being annoying with my morning coffee)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ants: famously not strong for their size

(E: please ignore, I'm just being annoying with my morning coffee)

It's all false, steroid use among the ant community is rife and just not talked about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol, "too horny and angry for school!"

hell, same

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

It's all false, steroid use among the ant community is rife and just not talked about.

Don't even get me started on bees and that "royal jelly" poo poo

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Has a year of lockdowns resulted in an increase or decrease in murders? I guess it would be interesting to consider that against the old stats about how most women who are killed are victims of people they know. Like theres not much point in calling for a male 6pm curfew if you're just increasing the chances of people getting murdered. I assume to be honest lockdown hasn't increased the murder rate but probably has the incidence of domestic violence against women.

I agree theres a big difference between safety and perceived safety and its probably valuable to separate the two quite distinctly when forming strategies to combat them. The actions men might be asked to take to alter their behaviour would be very different in each instance. The curfew idea would not be to save womens lives (directly) but to increase their perceived safety. Actions which might reduce their likelihood of being murdered are obviously education, but more acutely could be things like altering consumption of media, from generally sexist things to outright pornography. Access to mental health care would surely be important.
Around here, there certainly seems to be at least a perceived increase in harassment & sexual offences. There's been a number of high-profile incidents reported, and I've also had students come to me with related issues that I'm not going to talk about. There was one high-profile case with some incel who went on a sexual assault spree to "punish" women for wearing tight clothing, which sounds like it could be something like frustrated creeps snapping in lockdown. It could also be that there's fewer people around and women are more likely to be alone, so there's more opportunity. Could even be something to do with the brothels being closed. Or, it could just be that there's gently caress-all other crime, or the same number of sex offenders out-and-about but far fewer ordinary people, which makes it all more visible.

Whatever it is, the students are full of horror stories & even if it's only a "perceived" increase I really hope people start to notice the ordinary scale of harassment &c & take it seriously.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I remember reading a statistic that a women is murdered by her partner every 3 days in the UK, which is a pretty close number per year to the amount of murders that Jess Phillips read out in parliament. Domestic violence is the biggest issue and it's at home behind closed doors that needs to policed much better. I hope that doesn't get forgotten.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
speaking of domestic abuse when do I call someone about my neighbours

there's been some shouting on and off since I moved in, which mostly seemed to be "stuck in a small flat with several children for weeks" sort of stuff which isn't ideal but I wasn't sure what to do about it really and it wasn't constant

in the last few days it suddenly got a lot worse and nastier sounding, and basically sounded like they were both telling each other to get out, the guy ended up leaving for a day or two, came back to get something (or just cause an argument idk) but now seems to have come back properly as there was more shouting at 7am this morning

it doesn't really sound violent but it's all a bit concerning and it can't be a great place for those kids to be. do I call social services?

how angry does an argument have to sound before you call the police idk. no one really tells you these things

not massively worried about them figuring out it was me, there's six flats on their stairwell and you can hear the shouting from outside the building

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in a group chat for trying to plan a stag do and even as "wheeey lads" as they all are, the thing with Sarah has kicked off a few discussions about how we as men can help, and it took me by surprise. I just don't think I often see that kind of thing in a male-only space.

I thought yesterday for the first time about how I've felt sketchy walking down dodgy streets and stuff before, but that while I always think of the "keys in the fist" type advice, I also kind of rationalise in my head that people are likely just going to want my stuff and will otherwise leave me alone, so if I just pass my phone over unlocked and give them all the cash I have on me, I'm probably going to escape unharmed (if shaken).

It seems obvious in hindsight, but for women that experience is fundamentally different because an attacker is more likely to want you, rather than anything you have on you, and even in the case of a "less violent" attacker (i.e. not physically planning to stab you or something) you're still likely to come out of it harmed by the experience more than I would if someone jumped out of a bush with a knife on me.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I've always found the keys in the fist thing weird as it's a crap way to punch as it makes it hard to ball your fist properly and if you don't know how or aren't used to punching is completely useless anyway.

Much better to just carry a knife.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I have no idea of the answer to your question but having been a repeat victim of female-on-male domestic violence in two separate relationships I've found police involvement to invariably make things worse, so apply with caution. I don't know how that applies to "ordinary" male-on-female DV, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can give you some more useful advice.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

altering consumption of media, from generally sexist things to outright pornography.

Lol when i said this I phrased it badly and did not mean men should just always be watching pornography.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Flayer posted:

I've always found the keys in the fist thing weird as it's a crap way to punch as it makes it hard to ball your fist properly and if you don't know how or aren't used to punching is completely useless anyway.

Much better to just carry a knife.

I think you'd get better mileage out of holding a roll of coins or something similarly dense in your fist, if you weren't keen on bringing a knife with you everywhere. Most people couldn't open a knife in a shaky-hands adrenaline panic without hurting themselves, and i doubt a lot of ladies are going to carry Bowie knives around.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol when i said this I phrased it badly and did not mean men should just always be watching pornography.
Wasn't there a county by county study in somewhere like Utah that showed that serious sexual assault decreased almost exactly in proportion with when they got broadband internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think you'd get better mileage out of holding a roll of coins or something similarly dense in your fist, if you weren't keen on bringing a knife with you everywhere. Most people couldn't open a knife in a shaky-hands adrenaline panic without hurting themselves, and i doubt a lot of ladies are going to carry Bowie knives around.

Guns for women then.