Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm still of the opinion that there has never been an Annie that belongs in any timeline. Ghost dude's dialogue simply said neither belongs, that doesn't mean one ever belonged in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

What? You mean the temporal issues thing? That they solved by going back and forth on their own timeline and not the alternate timelines which probably have their own Nornes? I fail to see how that disproves or proves anything.

Spirit bureaucrat says they need to see Temporal Affairs to deal with Annie being "shifted." We all assumed the shifting is why there were two Annies. The Thousand Eyes was about dealing with Annie being shifted. More specifically, creating the event that shifted her in the first place, by saving her after falling off the bridge. The Norns (who are Temporal Affairs) then specifically say that there being two Annies isn't a result of Time Nonsense. So, Loup split Annie into two people, without messing with alternate timelines, sent one back to the court, and talked to the other one for six months.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Kantesu posted:

Spirit bureaucrat says they need to see Temporal Affairs to deal with Annie being "shifted." We all assumed the shifting is why there were two Annies. The Thousand Eyes was about dealing with Annie being shifted. More specifically, creating the event that shifted her in the first place, by saving her after falling off the bridge. The Norns (who are Temporal Affairs) then specifically say that there being two Annies isn't a result of Time Nonsense. So, Loup split Annie into two people, without messing with alternate timelines, sent one back to the court, and talked to the other one for six months.

^its this, this is the correct take. Thank god somebody beat me to posting it before i got off work, cuz I was not looking forward to trying to explain it, but this thread went wacko koko nuts and i felt somebody had to.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Kantesu posted:

Hmm on the other hand Brinnie also uses the terminology "shifted" when observing them with her magic eyes, and doesn't seem to question the idea that the Norns could help. If your take is what Tom intended then maybe I and others were thrown that Annie's problem not being "Temporal Affairs" seemed more like a bureaucratic red tape joke than a serious story beat. So I took that to mean that the shifting, while it's messing with parallel dimensions, isn't precisely a temporal issue?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fecha posted:

Hmm on the other hand Brinnie also uses the terminology "shifted" when observing them with her magic eyes, and doesn't seem to question the idea that the Norns could help. If your take is what Tom intended then maybe I and others were thrown that Annie's problem not being "Temporal Affairs" seemed more like a bureaucratic red tape joke than a serious story beat. So I took that to mean that the shifting, while it's messing with parallel dimensions, isn't precisely a temporal issue?

She could tell they were time-shifted but she incorrectly assumed it was the cause of there being two of them. Turns out it was the cause of Annie being alive at all.

E: This is what I think is happening anyway. I don't mean to sound authoritative.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

gunnerkrigg court is passing into pacific rim, nu-annie is a jaeger and court/forest annies are simultaneously piloting her waiting for the boxbot kaiju to reveal itself so they can punch it to death

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

And Tyler Too! posted:

gunnerkrigg court is passing into pacific rim, nu-annie is a jaeger and court/forest annies are simultaneously piloting her waiting for the boxbot kaiju to reveal itself so they can punch it to death

I'd like it if they punched Loup to death.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I am clinging to the vanishingly thin hope this is a cross-chapter "psych, it was all a dream a simulation a Zimmulation all along" fakeout, because man it'd be disappointing otherwise

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The comic has now produced two entities created by weaving the fibers of multiple independent beings together. Will it take a third before you folks finally understand that synthesis in the comic's world does not require the destruction of the participating elements? What do you think happens to your consciousness when you go to sleep at night?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kantesu posted:

Your explanation makes sense and fits as well. I'm not ready to let my own interpretation go yet. But I will definitely keep that interpretation in mind as we go forward.

Lurdiak posted:

She could tell they were time-shifted but she incorrectly assumed it was the cause of there being two of them. Turns out it was the cause of Annie being alive at all.

E: This is what I think is happening anyway. I don't mean to sound authoritative.
I think we all agree on the Anni being alive is a part of her not belonging either way.

CJacobs posted:

The comic has now produced two entities created by weaving the fibers of multiple independent beings together. Will it take a third before you folks finally understand that synthesis in the comic's world does not require the destruction of the participating elements? What do you think happens to your consciousness when you go to sleep at night?

Mine has fun adventures in an alternate universe.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Are the people that keep saying that Courtnie specifically is dead joking or are they serious? Because that take in particular makes no sense to me.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's been repeatedly stated that Coyote and Ysengrin are dead, though, including by the beings involved.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Riot Bus posted:

Are the people that keep saying that Courtnie specifically is dead joking or are they serious? Because that take in particular makes no sense to me.

If a character, who has a unique role and effect on the plot and who's very existence creates an interesting dynamic with other characters, is then permanently removed from that plot to return the story to a similar dynamic prior to their introduction, then that character is functionally dead for the purposes of the story, regardless of if it they are actually "dead" by whatever metric that story cares to use.

Courtnie died on the way to her home planet, for all it matters now to the readers and the author if this sticks as it increasingly appears to.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my only criticism is that this arc should have been a little longer, I would have liked an additional chapter focusing more on the annies. reynard's development is great but it feels weird that it then ends with annie's resolution.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

If a character, who has a unique role and effect on the plot and who's very existence creates an interesting dynamic with other characters, is then permanently removed from that plot to return the story to a similar dynamic prior to their introduction, then that character is functionally dead for the purposes of the story, regardless of if it they are actually "dead" by whatever metric that story cares to use.

Courtnie died on the way to her home planet, for all it matters now to the readers and the author if this sticks as it increasingly appears to.

I guess you can say that, if you think Courtnie's only character trait/effect on the story is wearing makeup and everything else is exclusively Fannie's domain.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CJacobs posted:

What do you think happens to your consciousness when you go to sleep at night?

it's the thirteenth month of roni, sleep is a daytime thing and the night is for depression and alcohol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The criticism of the chapter I do agree with though is that of the pacing. Reading back through it it does feel very strange, like the chapter originally ended on a cliffhanger and spilled over into a second part but it was rewritten or condensed at some point.

edit: A while back, showing Surma in person at all would have been a totally showstopping moment, let alone with Annie in the same room. Maybe it's to do with the aforementioned YA themes of choosing pragmatism over delightful fantasy but it really felt odd how little fanfare there was for that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 11, 2021

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Yeah I agree with that, for sure. I tried rereading the chapter all at once and it didn't really make the pacing feel better. It seems like the Annies were building to some sort of climax with their fight but then that gets put aside for Reynard's conversation and things get derailed into random Zimmyscape stuff (like the part about the elf dude having the hots for the elf girl) and then suddenly we're back to Annie and her situation has resolved off camera.

Regardless of where this is going that didn't feel great, narratively.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

It feels very much like it's not a entire chapter in its own right, like there isn't really a great deal of story telling going on here. I can only guess this is a setup for something that has more than plenty already and can only hope Antimony get to be their own selves again later because this isn't a resolution to anything.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Darth TNT posted:

Anni Anni.

Anni Anni.
Anni Anni Anni

why no e

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Finally, someone with the courage to ask the hard questions

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Everyone knows the multiple of Annie is Anni.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Mazerunner posted:

Anni anni Anni anni anni anni Anni anni

No, that sentence only works with "Buffalo".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

stack them all up on end, in a line

push one over

anni domino

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bussamove posted:

A Burning of Annies

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

CJacobs posted:

The comic has now produced two entities created by weaving the fibers of multiple independent beings together. Will it take a third before you folks finally understand that synthesis in the comic's world does not require the destruction of the participating elemets? What do you think happens to your consciousness when you go to sleep at night?

Riot Bus posted:

I dunno if the previous example of 2 entities being merged into one said that both of the constituent parts are dead and one of said constituent parts agrees then you can forgive people for assuming that the same would hold for the 2nd example.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Bussamove posted:

Multiple Annies is clearly a "handful".

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

madjack posted:

Multiple Annies is clearly a "handful".

A Frustration of Carvers.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Phy posted:

push one over

anni domino

I understand.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

skaianDestiny posted:

I dunno if the previous example of 2 entities being merged into one said that both of the constituent parts are dead and one of said constituent parts agrees then you can forgive people for assuming that the same would hold for the 2nd example.

My point actually was that people seemed to think Courtnie was dead but Fannie wasn't. My argument is that either they are both dead or neither of them are. Deciding that Courtnie is specifically dead but Fannie is not is just bizarre.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bilirubin posted:

A Burning of Annies

A pyre of Annies.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

:shrug: The e is nowhere near the i on the keyboard.
I think it's because while everyone calls her Annie, it sounds the same in my head as Anni and there's no e in her full name so my mind just drops it when I don't think about it.

New chapter has a nice and foreboding title at least.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Looking forward to a cage match between the two Annies fighting for control of the body.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Kinda annoyed that the little preview image in the archives list is from the title page so nothing can be gleamed from it. Although that's hardly the case with those anyway.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Two Annies enter,

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Welcome to the mind cage, idiots.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Phy posted:

push one over

anni domino

Imagine two Annies on an edge of a cliff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Looking forward to a cage match between the two Annies fighting for control of the body.

It's like driving a Jaeger in Pacific Rim.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I swear I read somewhere recently in the comic where it was explained that the two Annies were the same person just from different points in time.

Did I just imagine that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

It doesnt happen with HUMANS.

We should obviously be talking about angler fish instead, where it is quite common for adults to fuse together.

Does either anglerfish die in the process? Who can say, really.

As the Anningler fish is subsumed by the other Anningler fish, the reproductive organs are used to birth new fire-children down the line without running afoul of the fire-soul question, both delighting and horrifying opponents/proponents of this age old fantheory.

Now that I've written that horrifying image into existence, a follow-up question. Is there more gnashing of teeth for this current arc, or Anthony's entrance arc? I think Anthony's arc still has more teeth gnashing but to be fair so far we've only had what, 6 pages of the current arc that has been ticking people off.