Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I see a bunch of people posting about maces. Are they better than the Stagbreaker megamace you can make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I want old biomes to be valuable again as I progress. There’s apparently some iron callback later on, but I want an item from a late boss to unlock something new to care about in Meadows, etc. I don’t know how it would work exactly, but that’s why I haven’t sold five million copies of my game in a couple of months.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LLSix posted:

I see a bunch of people posting about maces. Are they better than the Stagbreaker megamace you can make?

Yeah, the one handed maces. Stagbreaker is pretty terrible

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stagbreaker is obsolete the instant you get it.. all bronze weapons outdamage it.

Obviously it has a fun AE effect and I won't fault anyone for having fun with it but it's just a cute toy.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Campbell posted:

The boat visibility mod is great but defaults to 500 which is probably 4 or 5x what unmodded is. I can’t live without it now but would’ve been content w starting it to 250 or so in the configuration file and then upping it from there if needed.

I'm pretty sure default is actually about 50m so it's a massive step up by default. I set it to 200m straight away and that feels about right, that's the sort of distance that you can easily see things at in good weather. I'm pretty sure 500m is above the games max draw distance even, it's a stupidly high default.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

causticBeet posted:

Going to be interesting to see how they roll out new content. I think they should definitely focus on it because I can see a lot of folks dropping off hard once they near the current “top tier” if they are not engaged in the building.

Adding new biomes will be difficult, since they will be played out so fast if they release them 1 by 1. With that said, I definitely hope it’s something they prioritize, because as I start to approach the 5th biome I definitely don’t want the exploration to stop.

Yeah I think after I beat all the current bosses I'm dropping the game for a year so I can enjoy all the new poo poo at once.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

xzzy posted:

Stagbreaker is obsolete the instant you get it.. all bronze weapons outdamage it.

Obviously it has a fun AE effect and I won't fault anyone for having fun with it but it's just a cute toy.

I have stagbreaker and it's been useful for killing skeletons and large groups of greydwarves. We don't have bronze yet, but we should... probably get on that at some point, I guess.

We're just so far away now...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For anyone who wants to avoid deforestation/stripmining for wood/stone, just keep a Greydwarf nest alive. They spawn fairly quickly, and the 1/2-starred dwarves drop a good amount of wood/stone. You can farm up base-building materials pretty quickly without incurring terraforming costs.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

xzzy posted:

Stagbreaker is great for Sunken Crypts because the AE goes through mud piles, letting you clear out adjacent rooms before you can even see what’s in them.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

SKULL.GIF posted:

For anyone who wants to avoid deforestation/stripmining for wood/stone, just keep a Greydwarf nest alive. They spawn fairly quickly, and the 1/2-starred dwarves drop a good amount of wood/stone. You can farm up base-building materials pretty quickly without incurring terraforming costs.

Raise it up or mine down around it, place some fires and you can create an autofarm.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Nighthand posted:

God, the first two swamps we found in my large group game had zero crypts, and the third one only had one, and that one was small. Then the next one had four, and we scrounged just barely enough iron to get everyone one piece of armor and either a weapon or tool.

Then we sailed out to find the bonemass altar and there were seven more dungeons right around it, lol

Yeah the bonemass swamp(s?) seem to be just teeming with Crypts.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

fennesz posted:

Yeah the bonemass swamp(s?) seem to be just teeming with Crypts.

I think you're all trying to read patterns into a RNG.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

That's good to know thanks! Are there goon servers / discords or should I look elsewhere?

Check out https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3959626!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Larger swamps probably make up the bulk of the game's swamp area, so Bonemass is almost certainly more likely to end up in one, even if the smaller swamps are more common. And the biggest factor in number of crypts seems to be swamp size.

At the very least it seems like it would be worth checking out his swamp first if you're looking for a big one.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It seems to me that there's a radius about halfway from the spawn where the swamps that DO spawn are usually larger, and the bonemass is usually in that range, so the bonemass is likely to be in a bigger swamp, but yeah it's by no means guaranteed.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone in the thread know anything about modding in new textures? Not sure how big a pain in the rear end it would be to swap out some of the dumber looking weapon textures with something better.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's an excellent idea actually. Would love to have a non stupid texture for the black metal shield.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
There's some mods on the Nexus that enable replacing textures (along with a bunch of texture replacement mods), so probably check those out.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
One dumb idea I had was that every time you upgraded an item, the texture becomes higher resolution.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do the same but with enemies. two star lox are incredibly detailed, nature-documentary poo poo. one star lox are ps4 quality. no star lox are

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PSA: Don't wear the strength belt when fighting bosses. morder pulled in a stone golem that got me from off screen when it had only a sliver of health left. But since I auto collected all the rocks from the landscape they broke, I got stuck in an inventory dialogue and couldn't get away in time. And after the forth try or thereabouts it got pulled close enough to my portal to blow it up. I'm now naked at home and the nearest portal is in the plains :thumbsup:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Weembles posted:

I think you're all trying to read patterns into a RNG.

I was looking at some random seeds at Valheim World Generator website and it seems that crypts are more likely to appear in larger continuous biomes, but bosses seem to spawn quite randomly.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

genericnick posted:

PSA: Don't wear the strength belt when fighting bosses. morder pulled in a stone golem that got me from off screen when it had only a sliver of health left. But since I auto collected all the rocks from the landscape they broke, I got stuck in an inventory dialogue and couldn't get away in time. And after the forth try or thereabouts it got pulled close enough to my portal to blow it up. I'm now naked at home and the nearest portal is in the plains :thumbsup:

What inventory dialogue is that? And how does the strength belt play a part in this?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Meatgrinder posted:

What inventory dialogue is that? And how does the strength belt play a part in this?

I assume we're missing the part of the story where the golem killed him and due to all the rocks in his inventory he couldn't pick up his body fast enough to get away and reequip

And the part where he built his boss portal way too close to the boss

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The funny part is, they could have just hit the "take all" button, and re-equipped all their stuff at leisure, because the "Corpse Run" buff from clearing your gravestone gives a massive damage resistane boost for a full minute. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If your corpse can fit in your inventory, both slot and weight wise, you just touch the gravestone and you get the poo poo. If it can't, such as if you were wearing the lifting belt and your corpse inventory weighs more than you can normally carry, it brings up a dialogue.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If your corpse can fit in your inventory, both slot and weight wise, you just touch the gravestone and you get the poo poo. If it can't, such as if you were wearing the lifting belt and your corpse inventory weighs more than you can normally carry, it brings up a dialogue.

This is especially "fun" if your corpse is in the ocean and you forgot to eat some food before getting it.

On that note: Eat some poo poo before doing a corpse-run. Berries or whatever, doesn't matter so long as you have >25 stamina.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

OwlFancier posted:

That is correct, hence my mention of the "take all" button. Won't matter that you'll be encumbered at first, because due to the buff you can just stand there and take a few hits while you equip your belt and armor and get moving.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Meatgrinder posted:

If your corpse would set you to overweight you get a dialogue screen instead.

Azhais posted:

I assume we're missing the part of the story where the golem killed him and due to all the rocks in his inventory he couldn't pick up his body fast enough to get away and reequip

And the part where he built his boss portal way too close to the boss

The part about the portal was implied, yes. And yes molder had a sliver of health left, but the golem got me. I got a bit over confident since the movement pattern was easy.

Strength belt, because otherwise the inventory

Nordick posted:

The funny part is, they could have just hit the "take all" button, and re-equipped all their stuff at leisure, because the "Corpse Run" buff from clearing your gravestone gives a massive damage resistane boost for a full minute. :v:

What the. The flying crystal attack killed me in one hit. I had time to chuck out two stone piles and that was it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

genericnick posted:

What the. The flying crystal attack killed me in one hit. I had time to chuck out two stone piles and that was it.

Hm, now that you mention that, I do believe that the buff only applies to physical damage. So yeah the frost damage would still gently caress you up I suppose.

EDIT: Actually no, wait: You only get the buff once your gravestone breaks. So if you were still in the inventory screen trying to sort poo poo out manually, you wouldn't have the buff yet.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 12, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This game has got me googling examples of ravelins and caponiers. All I needed was a simple bridge and hut by the black forest so I could get some more copper. Instead I'm making a 17th century colonial fort.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nordick posted:

Hm, now that you mention that, I do believe that the buff only applies to physical damage. So yeah the frost damage would still gently caress you up I suppose.

EDIT: Actually no, wait: You only get the buff once your gravestone breaks. So if you were still in the inventory screen trying to sort poo poo out manually, you wouldn't have the buff yet.

Ah, yeah that explains it. Anyway it's troll leather against deathsquito time.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 12, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

This game has got me googling examples of ravelins and caponiers. All I needed was a simple bridge and hut by the black forest so I could get some more copper. Instead I'm making a 17th century colonial fort.

Rewind a bit because Vikings were active from 800 to 1050. :v:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The worst part about the tombstone inventory thing is that Valheim doesn't auto-stack like items, so if you run over 2 pieces of wood and a greydwarf eye while running back to your corpse, oops, you're over your inventory space limit. Get rekt while you try to toss poo poo and get your armor back. It's another one of those basic QoL things that I don't know why they aren't in before EA release. Even Grounded didn't have paper doll armor slots at release, and that's a AAA studio. They made sure their hunger and thirst mechanics were tuned for tedium, and you only got half your mats on building refunds, though!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, while we're on the topic of damage types and stupid deaths:

I was sailing along a coastline, just chilling and filling out my map a bit. Happened by a swamp. No big deal, swamps are whatever at this point.
Except suddenly, there was a loving drake out of nowhere. A drake, in the swamp. Where it rains all the time, so I was wet. Which not only cancels out your frost resistance but makes you weak vs. frost damage to boot. So before I even finished my thought of "wtf is a drake doing here", it loving one-shot me from 100+ hitpoints.

I'm not even mad, that was loving hilarious. (I might be a little bit mad had there not luckily been a portal nearby.)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Nordick posted:

So, while we're on the topic of damage types and stupid deaths:

I was sailing along a coastline, just chilling and filling out my map a bit. Happened by a swamp. No big deal, swamps are whatever at this point.
Except suddenly, there was a loving drake out of nowhere. A drake, in the swamp. Where it rains all the time, so I was wet. Which not only cancels out your frost resistance but makes you weak vs. frost damage to boot. So before I even finished my thought of "wtf is a drake doing here", it loving one-shot me from 100+ hitpoints.

I'm not even mad, that was loving hilarious. (I might be a little bit mad had there not luckily been a portal nearby.)

I swear this game has some kind of Left 4 Dead style Director AI that throws ridiculous poo poo at you at the worst time.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
you can see the drakes migrating across the oceans sometimes, just for something to do I guess. usually in ones and twos.

that ai director thing is probably true too, the second I load up the hold of a ship there'll be a sea serpent somewhere along the voyage.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

xzzy posted:

Rewind a bit because Vikings were active from 800 to 1050. :v:

Yes, and even more pointlessly this is on my solo seed, so I don't have any buddies to man the battlements. Screw it, its cool!

Really I'm just compensating for having to pause all my building projects in our multiplayer world due to lag. Hopefully we can scout out a new site close to plains and mountains so I can begin building anew.

Our base is like a vortex of bugs, although they mostly occur when 3+ people are online. Mushrooms and wood levitate up into the air. It takes about half a minute for the 20-odd pigs to pop in to my Pig Hole. Invincible greylings are running in place or teleporting through walls. Doors only open for some players so our current method of egress is jumping out of windows. One bonus feature is that we can cram an extra 10 or so ore and coal into the forges before the game updates.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 12, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a spot I’d like to put a base, but it’s a relatively low piece of land that borders on the ocean, so I’m wondering how to avoid getting overwhelmed by storm surge. Does building a natural earth wall hold it back, or do I need to raise everything above the top of the wave level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's no fluid simulation in the game, it's just a wavy mesh that rises up and down. So if you don't want any water to clip through your base you need to build above the highest point water can reach.