Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

yea it was a really weird turn, like I get wanting the books to 'age up' with readers and all but yea it's really wacky to go from 'tee hee pumpkin juice and troll boogers and a fun tournament arc' to 'everyone Harry cares for dies in front of him and any safety net he formed gets just wrecked constantly'. Like, it got to as close to kids books could get to GoT levels of writer sadism at some points. Hell even the big finale was weirdly just...mean. Like, why kill the loving owl? Nobody has a deep emotional bond to it but tons of people like a cute animal and get sad thinking about it getting magic-blasted. It's just weird needless tragedy escalation because at that point every action set piece had to involve someone getting wasted.

The massacre of Hogwarts is kind of hilarious with that solemn roll call of the dead that largely amounted to "Who was that? Some Gryffindor rando I guess." Oh, also Lupin and the Auror girl with purple or pink hair who had a deep, lasting connection that was almost entirely off screen but they had enough time to pop out a kid so they could die, biological duty done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

Plus he saw a dude die and a whole bunch of traumatic stuff. Anyone would be hosed up, nevermind a kid.
Having a reason a character is unpleasant to read does not change the unpleasantness.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

The massacre of Hogwarts is kind of hilarious with that solemn roll call of the dead that largely amounted to "Who was that? Some Gryffindor rando I guess." Oh, also Lupin and the Auror girl with purple or pink hair who had a deep, lasting connection that was almost entirely off screen but they had enough time to pop out a kid so they could die, biological duty done.

it's so loving funny that Lupin and Tonks, two characters who were at least on paper huge parts of Harry and his friends' lives both got completely iced off screen. Like, Lupin was Harry's last connection to his father that wasn't Snape's bullshit and Tonks...well was Tonks, she didn't really exist except as a Confirmed Monsterfucker which is at least p. cool, and they just were tossed in the meat grinder.

Rowling's such a fuckin good writer!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Plus he saw a dude die and a whole bunch of traumatic stuff. Anyone would be hosed up, nevermind a kid.

If Dumbledore had properly trained him as a child soldier he would've handled his duty better instead of falling apart once the world rested on him killing a guy like Gohan.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

it's so loving funny that Lupin and Tonks, two characters who were at least on paper huge parts of Harry and his friends' lives both got completely iced off screen. Like, Lupin was Harry's last connection to his father that wasn't Snape's bullshit and Tonks...well was Tonks, she didn't really exist except as a Confirmed Monsterfucker which is at least p. cool, and they just were tossed in the meat grinder.

Rowling's such a fuckin good writer!

Even icing them offscreen isn't theoretically a bad way of showing the toll of the war. The problem is they already spent most of their time and had the majority of their major character moments offscreen, so it was like periodically walking in on a couple in the bathroom... except the last time you walk in on them they're dead on the floor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Even icing them offscreen isn't theoretically a bad way of showing the toll of the war. The problem is they already spent most of their time and had the majority of their major character moments offscreen, so it was like periodically walking in on a couple in the bathroom... except the last time you walk in on them they're dead on the floor.

From what I recall the play in three acts was 'wow you're dating' then 'wow Tonks had a kid' and then 'wow they're dead.' Quite the roller coaster wordsmith, ol' JK.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Tonks did awaken some non-binary people IIRC

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Airtime Thrills - How Europe's Largest Theme Park Became a Ghost Town in One Year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG0ueLkPb-A
(before you ask about the use of the word "Europe" in the title--yes, Ankara is in the Asia part of Turkey, but he's referencing the way the operators marketed the park and how it was written about in the press)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

...you know, this sorta made me realize that just about every single death in Harry Potter either happens offscreen or instantaneously. JK's love of the 'war is hell' sudden-death trope completely mopped the floor with 'dramatic dying words', huh. The only exceptions I can think of are Snape and Dobby, which is hilarious because they're both easily the Shrieking Shack hosts' favorite characters.

Violet_Sky posted:

Tonks did awaken some non-binary people IIRC
As you could say about basically every single aspect, the fandom did more to develop the character than JK did.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1370024770884886537?s=21

Oh by the way, Tim Pool kidnapped his former business partner's cat and held her hostage for months to try and extort some sort of leverage over her and now his burgeoning "teach kids that trans people don't deserve human rights and embrace your wage slavery, you stupid plebs, now watch this sick ollie" media experience platform is now collapsing around him in large part because, well... he kidnapped a loving a cat.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh by the way, Tim Pool kidnapped his former business partner's cat and held her hostage for months to try and extort some sort of leverage over her and now his burgeoning "teach kids that trans people don't deserve human rights and embrace your wage slavery, you stupid plebs, now watch this sick ollie" media experience platform is now collapsing around him in large part because, well... he kidnapped a loving a cat.

Tim Pools a disgusting piece of poo poo example #932409549532

Hope this means he gets ousted from Twitter and everywhere else and becomes completely irrelevant like Milo. I would love to never have to hear his whiny voice again. He's cringier than Ben Shapiro imo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I've heard of cat burglary before, but this is ridiculous!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

nine-gear crow posted:

So reading the article, beyond just how weirdly meanspirited it is to steal someone's pet: he then apparently quietly dropped the cat off at a shelter.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I feel bad for the cat but on the other hand she helped dismantle an alt-right site so thank you, Betsy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's strange how Lupin and Tonks are made into a straight, later dead, couple when they are so transparently gay-coded (closeted man and poly woman) Meanwhile nobody really gave a poo poo about Dumbledore because he's the stock geezer mentor, yet somehow he is gay only it's never said or implied anywhere in the text.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have a feeling that any coding in the text of Lupin or Tonks not being straight is unintentional on Rowling's part, if only because if it were intentional she would have long since paraded it on twitter as yet more proof about how secretly inclusive her book series almost about straight white people was all along.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Nuebot posted:

So reading the article, beyond just how weirdly meanspirited it is to steal someone's pet: he then apparently quietly dropped the cat off at a shelter.

I've never heard much about Tim Pool before and now I hope he gets to be left behind in a shelter of his own..
Ya know, jail.

And of loving course TheQuartering is right there in the tweet timeline defending his honor.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DeafNote posted:

I've never heard much about Tim Pool before and now I hope he gets to be left behind in a shelter of his own..
Ya know, jail.

And of loving course TheQuartering is right there in the tweet timeline defending his honor.

Tim pool is thoughtslime and the serfs go to punching bag because everything he has to say is dumb as a 3 ton bag of bricks

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Sydin posted:

I have a feeling that any coding in the text of Lupin or Tonks not being straight is unintentional on Rowling's part, if only because if it were intentional she would have long since paraded it on twitter as yet more proof about how secretly inclusive her book series almost about straight white people was all along.

Doesn't she consider werewolves in Harry Potter to be an allegory for AIDS? I'm not saying this disproves your point, she does seem like the type to do that and still consider the incredibly gay Professor Lupin as straight.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
In one of her Twitter retcons, yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

In one of her Twitter retcons, yes.

Yeah. At the time Rowling was writing as heteronormative couple as you could image. Any boundaries she wanted to push came later and as we have seen we’re done with all the grace and subtlety of a hammer to the forebrain. JK’s kinda removed all benefit of the doubt that she was being secretly super progressive.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It was made explicit as a retcon, but the subtext was always there. I remember hearing it long before she casually tweeted it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lotus Aura posted:

It was made explicit as a retcon, but the subtext was always there. I remember hearing it long before she casually tweeted it.

It dates back a while not long after the third movie came out the actor had a few interviews where he mentioned he was told to act "like a gay junkie".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nuebot posted:

It dates back a while not long after the third movie came out the actor had a few interviews where he mentioned he was told to act "like a gay junkie".

What could have been...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFqDgWjeHAE

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's strange how Lupin and Tonks are made into a straight, later dead, couple when they are so transparently gay-coded (closeted man and poly woman) Meanwhile nobody really gave a poo poo about Dumbledore because he's the stock geezer mentor, yet somehow he is gay only it's never said or implied anywhere in the text.

My headcanon is that Tonks/Lupin were bi/pan. Tonks was also genderfluid.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DeafNote posted:

Ya know, jail.

Tim Pool positions himself as the "sensible" leftist for conservatives to point to whenever they don't like policy an socio-economic systems that aren't unregulated free market based. They say "oh you leftists have such warped worldviews, just look at Tim Pool, now that's someone who is open-minded and sensible!" to which you watch his video and his views are mostly right-wing and batshit wrong.

https://twitter.com/TimPoolClips/status/1306274803985387533

That thread, as well as that account are doing the work to dismantle that worthless, toxic notion that he's some sensible leftist when he's just a right wing grifter who is sensationalist, wrong, well, just awful.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Filmjoy - Movies with Mikey - Nihilism & Howl's Moving Castle

https://youtu.be/3V21vjxH8VE

Some More News - Catching Up On The Garbage We Missed During The Pandemic

https://youtu.be/4kXE7TkK2Qc

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

That thread, as well as that account are doing the work to dismantle that worthless, toxic notion that he's some sensible leftist when he's just a right wing grifter who is sensationalist, wrong, well, just awful.

The red flags were raised when he made up that racist nonsense about Muslims in London where Muslim immigrants supposedly created "no go zones" where drinking was banned, anyone white was beaten and women were raped by roving Muslim gangs.

And then it turned out he hadn't been to London at all in years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This thread blurs together sometimes so I read that as if it was part of the JK Rowling discourse because I can totally see her writing something abiut rapist Muslim wizards.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Well she wrote about rapist centaurs which are probably an allegory for something.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Well she wrote about rapist centaurs which are probably an allegory for something.

oh god, that whole segment was horrifying. really bothered me as a teenager reading it.

Rowling really has something against overweight people, doesn't she?

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Let's Game It Out - I Turned Valheim Into a Physics-Defying Nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgFzP5m1k_c

LGR - Loading PC Games from Reel to Reel Tape!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d60V9yAPE_s

ProZD - 10 Classic Board Games That Suck (And 10 to Replace Them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SQ3IzU37t8

Thought Slime - We are losing the culture war and I cannot stress enough that as a result society is doomed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpglyKZhJ88

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I think I said this before. But there's a part of me that wants to read that new mystery story because the few reviews I read about it, the TERF poo poo in it is the least wild part about it.

Apparently JK compares being a cis woman to being disabled? What the gently caress?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

I think I said this before. But there's a part of me that wants to read that new mystery story because the few reviews I read about it, the TERF poo poo in it is the least wild part about it.

Apparently JK compares being a cis woman to being disabled? What the gently caress?

Lindsay Ellis quotes from it a few times in her latest video and brings up a whole bunch of fat shaming that just gets crammed in for no reason. Like a lot of "she fatted fattily" kind of descriptions.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Rowling probably has some heavy baggage she didn't have any chance to unpack because she became Rich As gently caress first and rich people don't need to do any self-reflecting.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

haha what posted:

Thought Slime - We are losing the culture war and I cannot stress enough that as a result society is doomed

When a title makes me 100% not care to click, after enough of this chicken little poo poo for years it's started feeling like people just want misery to happen and I'm sick to death of it forever more. :suicide:

And I'm just bitching but it's like really, after enough and if my mood at it's worst, stuff like that makes me wanna ask them for the optimal 'exit plan' if everything is so unsalvageable and bad forever.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 12, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Yardbomb posted:

When a title makes me 100% not care to click, after enough of this chicken little poo poo for years it's started feeling like people just want misery to happen and I'm sick to death of it forever more. :suicide:

The title is sarcastic and describes the mindset of the kinds of reactionaries who care about the Potato Head rebranding.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DoctorWhat posted:

The title is sarcastic and describes the mindset of the kinds of reactionaries who care about the Potato Head rebranding.

Ugh, I thought of the possibility, but it's like when I'm already down I'm gonna assume the worst from language I've seen so much of. :downs:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

That's good. I don't care for TS and was about to make fun of him for that video title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ThoughtSlime is, as usual, good and right.