Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ymgve posted:

Did you do the inverted castle in SOTN

gently caress galamoth hate that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Artelier posted:

Hmm...maybe I just play them faster than you? I definitely finished AoS within 4 hours first time, it's a short game, even with the true ending requirements. SotN is like two decades at this point though so maybe I'm misremembering and underselling it a bit.
That's possible, I do tend to go through games at a fairly leisurely pace. Ah well, I think I'll sit on it for a bit longer. If nobody else has chimed in about the length of the game before the 2-week return period is up, I can still give it back.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I think Loop Hero has pretty soundly defeated me. I somehow managed to strategize just well enough to beat the Lich that one time, but I haven't had a single "good" run since then in Chapter 1 or 2, my equipment drops have been utter poo poo and often ~3 levels below the loop I'm on despite overlapping battlefields for treasure chests and blood clots, making and clearing the devastated villages for better quests, etc. I unlocked the rogue but he's such a fragile glass cannon and so terrifyingly reliant on cooperative equipment drops that I can't see how to keep him alive for more than a few loops even on Chapter 1. Now I'm at the point where I figure I need to grind out a few more buildings/upgrades to stand a chance, but just about everything now needs these goddamned Orbs of Expansion which I already spent my only one of, have no idea how I got it, and multiple guides claim are dropped exclusively from battles with 5+ units which after 8+ runs of failing to get any by doing exactly that, I don't think can possibly be correct.

I knew I was in for a tough time, but this is all a bit much.
Vampire Mansion + Village is always 5 monsters and three loops gives you a greater heal. You get tons of the orbs. Just be sure to drop a cocoon or something on the other side so bandits won't spawn.

You can change the variables files to make enemies drop much more and better stuff per monster. It isn't CE, but tweaking the difficulty can be fun. There are lots of stuff to change if you want an easier time. Make enemies drop 10 items, have chests with thousands of health, a new perk every 100 XP.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I think Loop Hero has pretty soundly defeated me. I somehow managed to strategize just well enough to beat the Lich that one time, but I haven't had a single "good" run since then in Chapter 1 or 2, my equipment drops have been utter poo poo and often ~3 levels below the loop I'm on despite overlapping battlefields for treasure chests and blood clots, making and clearing the devastated villages for better quests, etc. I unlocked the rogue but he's such a fragile glass cannon and so terrifyingly reliant on cooperative equipment drops that I can't see how to keep him alive for more than a few loops even on Chapter 1. Now I'm at the point where I figure I need to grind out a few more buildings/upgrades to stand a chance, but just about everything now needs these goddamned Orbs of Expansion which I already spent my only one of, have no idea how I got it, and multiple guides claim are dropped exclusively from battles with 5+ units which after 8+ runs of failing to get any by doing exactly that, I don't think can possibly be correct.

Rogue straight up does not work without the Arsenal card, which for him gives a buffer of free HP for every fight. You'd need godlike drops to get anywhere.

In general, Loop Hero is about having enough stacked up bonuses before you go out that you can slam down monster spawning as fast as you can and buzzsaw through them for cards/items/XP, which is the only way to delay the inevitable with monster power increasing every loop. More cards also means spawning the boss sooner which also means easier boss fight. The part of the game you're at right now is a horrible slog and totally unfun, unless you happened to get super lucky with drops.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Palpek posted:

Apart for all the already mentioned ARPG titles I was pleasantly surprised by Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr + Prophecy. It's not some groundbreaking game, it's just solid overall (get it on sale) but it has some interesting concepts and might be the only actually successful sci-fi take on the genre.
Would you be willing to do a more in-depth writeup on Inquisitor and what it's got going for it? I remember when the game first dropped the general reception was pretty :geno:.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why aren't you guys playing the Necromancer, the absolutely most baller class in the game?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cardiovorax posted:

That's possible, I do tend to go through games at a fairly leisurely pace. Ah well, I think I'll sit on it for a bit longer. If nobody else has chimed in about the length of the game before the 2-week return period is up, I can still give it back.

Took me about 4 hours to do the current stuff but I tend to be on the quicker side. 5/6 sounds totally fine to me especially at the..what ten bucks it currently costs?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Ghostlight posted:

Why aren't you guys playing the Necromancer, the absolutely most baller class in the game?

I love that art style. :yayclod:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm a bit divided on the art style - it looks lovely, but it also feels a bit too busy for that kind of strategy game. Just look at those skeletons, they almost blend into the graveyard background.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You don't control the movement or when you engage so it doesn't really matter in practice tbh.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

Me, four hours into Loop Hero: There are other classes??

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FutureCop posted:

I was playing a Duelist for a bit and did get some skills like this drill dash slash or something that made it pretty mobile and fun: is there maybe a better class for more mobile/dodge/skill gameplay, or would they be the best and I should continue with them?

Every build uses some sort of movement skill (often linked to Second Wind, which gives extra uses and reduces cool down), and then there are certain main damage skills that have movement built into them, but aside from that the biggest difference between classes/builds in the sense you're talking about is movement speed. If you want to continue with a duelist, lacerate bleed gladiator is probably close to what you want; super fast and using leap slam to jump around between packs/to avoid boss slams.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

As someone who likes Inquistor (and maybe this was changed since I last played) the big problem it has for some is the progression is very, very, very simple. You know how people talk about boring level up systems that only give you 0.5% better damage or health or whatever? That is 95% of what skill points do in Inquisitor. Active abilities are tied directly to weapon/armor types and do not vary at all - a gun of X type you find at level 1 will have the same active abilities as a gun at level 100.

Basically you better really enjoy the game as it plays because it will not change much at all over the course of many hours.

The psyker gets some more interesting skill builds thanks to generic "spell" slots that can be filled with modifiable spells from an extensive list. Unfortunately, there's one build that lets makes you invincible forever while simultaneously exploding everything on the screen, and every other build (or character) is just squishy plinking by comparison...

Also, Marvel Heroes had some pretty decent movement skills and attack dodging :rip:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 12, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stickman posted:

Also, Marvel Heroes had some pretty decent movement skills attack dodging :rip:
https://i.imgur.com/z89Erte.gifv

Arleneth
Apr 28, 2010

It makes me sad that no other ARPG has a character like the Juggernaut. There was something so satisfying about the charging, elbow dropping, and stomping at high speeds all the time. Had to keep that Momentum resource capped at all times.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
100%'d Ori 2 (well, collectibles, not cheevos) which is something I almost never do. God, what a good game, those things just control so goddamn well. One of the few indie games that both look and play top of their class.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Arleneth posted:

It makes me sad that no other ARPG has a character like the Juggernaut. There was something so satisfying about the charging, elbow dropping, and stomping at high speeds all the time. Had to keep that Momentum resource capped at all times.
I would honestly say that they had some of the most creative character 'classes' of the games in the genre that still used fixed-tree systems. I remember when they announced Magneto I made a joke about regenning his resource by smashing up the decorative items in the stages and then they actually let you do that. It was insanely inefficient compared to summoning a car out of nowhere to dunk on someone's head, but you could do it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Wow, I unlocked the necromancer in Loop Hero, and I can't see myself using the other classes anymore. Having your own party of skeleton friends is just too powerful. Especially if you get that trait that gives you a group of three permanent skeletons with every loop, that made beating the Lich a second time a breeze.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
For anyone struggling to beat the Lich in Loop Hero, don't do what I was by playing cautiously, and trying to limit the number of enemies that will spawn. Try to pack as many enemies onto the path/loop as you can. A goon earlier stated doing this makes him spawn much earlier (playing all the cards you'll get as well). I'd normally encounter him at loop 8-10, but this time it was 6, and I beat him.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Rogue as mentioned is very reliant on the Arsenal card, I personally can't play her without it. For early game warrior, stick with meadow/mountains and focus on the strategic basics (which might not seem basic): get as many goddamn spawns as you can per loop, as that means more xp and more loot before everyone levels up. Managing risk/reward is the entire schtick, so spreading the fights all around the map plus using a vampire mansion to throw a vampire in is generally the best idea. There can be a max of 4 monsters on any given tile on the overworld, with a +1 from vampires etc. Big stacks are dangerous but eventually become inevitable, the solution is a lot of counter+vamp(+defense)(+atk all, etc). Time/days is on your side with meadows, as long as the map doesn't clutter too badly. Use tile interactions to get better/more loot via hungry groves and bloody paths and vampires etc, spamming the map with early easy fights is the strongest thing you can do; a common mistake is to only take villages/wheat fields and be surprised you're 4 loops in before you can blink.

The boss himself can be taken at any time (if you've handled his palace spawn) as long as you're relatively strong. Be aware that everything I mentioned above that's good vs large packs is useless vs him, you might want to have some transformative gear changes into evade and/or atk speed before the fight. Technically, dragging the game out as long as possible allows for stronger bonus stacking, eg 75% evade is a hell of a lot stronger than 25% evade plus a bunch of other mixed stats.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ghostlight posted:

Because he's insanely slow

-This post made by the Rogue Gang

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Broken Cog posted:

Because he's insanely slow

-This post made by the Rogue Gang

Goblins hard-counter Necromancer. In general, you need to figure out what the strong points of each class are and lean incredibly hard into them. It is, quite literally, min-maxing - the board game.

As for Torchlight 2 - Engineer class, you just need to set up a bunch of active skills. I had most of them on the quick bar and by the end of the last act I was firing off about 5 to 8 of them in quick succession. It was YEARS ago, so I don't remember the details anymore.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 12, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ghostlight posted:

You really should have a river in there. Rivers pay for themselves basically at all times, the only reason not to use them is awkward interactions (oasis) and early game clutter/card dilution.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What happened to the dungeon crawler genre? I remember a few years ago there was a revival with Legend of Grimrock and Might & Magic X, both of which I really loved. I tried LoG 2 but I lost interest in it after awhile because of the lack of direction- I'm open to restarting it, but when I look at other games, they seem like they're for grognards who love the Wizardry series.

I couldn't get into Labryinth of Refrain because I find the Disgaea-esque music and character design to be incredibly grating, and I hear Stranger of Sword City is super groggy.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
There’s Bard’s Tale IV, but I haven’t tried it yet. The current reviews are better than I remember them being on release, so maybe it’s decent?

I was actually really enjoying Labyrinth of Refrain back around when it came out, but ran into a 100% crash on completing a quest and couldn’t advance, so dropped it rather than replay all those hours.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Serephina posted:

You really should have a river in there. Rivers pay for themselves basically at all times, the only reason not to use them is awkward interactions (oasis) and early game clutter/card dilution.
Yeah I unlocked the river after doing that achievement and it's since entirely replaced the dunes in my build.

Also, yeah, goblins will gently caress up your poo poo as a necro but they only spawn if you're using mountains and those are entirely replaced by just putting ancestral crypt in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

chglcu posted:

There’s Bard’s Tale IV, but I haven’t tried it yet. The current reviews are better than I remember them being on release, so maybe it’s decent?
Someone journaled their playthrough of Bard's Tale IV over in the Retro RPG thread and let's just say that no, no it really isn't.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What happened to the dungeon crawler genre? I remember a few years ago there was a revival with Legend of Grimrock and Might & Magic X, both of which I really loved. I tried LoG 2 but I lost interest in it after awhile because of the lack of direction- I'm open to restarting it, but when I look at other games, they seem like they're for grognards who love the Wizardry series.

I couldn't get into Labryinth of Refrain because I find the Disgaea-esque music and character design to be incredibly grating, and I hear Stranger of Sword City is super groggy.

They still exist here and there, there's Etrian Odyssey on handhelds/consoles(?) but it's Extremely Anime and some of the later game character designs are aggressively not cool. That sci-fi one whose name escapes me came out last year, as well as I think one other.

Ultimately I think the war between people who want dungeon crawlers and people who want dungeons crawlers that actively hate you - Wizardy-likes et al - means that it's just not a genre that is as ripe for revisiting as CRPGs and things of that nature.

E: Also I suspect they're weirdly hard to make and make good for a few reasons.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 12, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They made like forty thousand first person or overhead anime dungeon crawlers for PSVita and they all have names like Consecration: Root Labyrinth: Dusk OverNight 2 and a bunch of them have been ported to Switch/PS4/PC but since they're from the PSVita they have pandering anime bullshit like "your character's breasts grow as they gain levels" or some poo poo

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 12, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The United States posted:

They made like forty thousand first person or overhead anime dungeon crawlers for PSVita and they all have names like Consecration: Root Labyrinth: Dusk OverNight 2 and a bunch of them have been ported to Switch/PS4/PC but since they're from the PSVita they have pandering anime bullshit like "your character's breasts grow as they gain levels" or some poo poo

I've owned a Vita since launch and unfortunately I know exactly what one you're talking about

It got denied classification in Australia and the English release in general was cancelled, because one of the characters was very clearly a pre-pubescent girl

well anyway, Experience makes some horny dungeon crawlers (Demon Gaze is silly horny, Operation Abyss is mostly a few attacks that are...weird) and some that are pretty normal (Stranger in Sword City), Elminage Gothic is uh, very old school Wiz, the PS3 Wizardry isn't bad and got a Steam port at some point I think?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Cardiovorax posted:

Someone journaled their playthrough of Bard's Tale IV over in the Retro RPG thread and let's just say that no, no it really isn't.
Yeah that dude's wrong. BT4 owns enough that I 100%'ed it.

It's a lot like M&MX.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah Bards Tale 4 is quite good. Just a couple of unfortunate difficulty spikes and pits that drag down the game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

God I knew that Dark Alliance trailer reminded me of something. :allears:

It's what the Dark Alliance people imagined in their head when they ere making that trailer.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

The Joe Man posted:

Yeah that dude's wrong. BT4 owns enough that I 100%'ed it.

It's a lot like M&MX.

I also enjoyed both of those games. The puzzles in BT4 are too numerous and repetitive, but there's a song in the game that lets you bypass (most of) them if you want.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Vaporum: Lockdown came out recently if you want an industrial style Grimrock. Its kind of got an active-pause combat which I much prefered to Grimrocks bizarre multi-headed character cooldowns. Can't comment on the first game.

Theres also Starcrawlers which is more of a turn based party RPG.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

They're out there! Not as many as I'd like, but there are more titles you should check out that you've probably missed.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

StrixNebulosa posted:

They're out there! Not as many as I'd like, but there are more titles you should check out that you've probably missed.

I played Aeon of Sands - The Trail recently. You have to be okay with the deliberately goofy writing, and the combat's a little awkward, but it's a nice world to explore and there's a good variety to the maps/environments considering the desert setting. It takes like 12 hours for a playthrough so it's relatively brisk, but you can't see everything in one go anyway (any dialogue choice can lock you out of certain paths/maps but open others elsewhere). Not top tier or anything, but good fun with heart and personality.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I totally forgot I had backed Bard's Tale IV on Kickstarter, seems like a good time to give it a go!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Check out The Quest. It's an HD port of an iOS game and it's pretty meaty considering it's origins. Grid based movement, puzzles, plenty of talking and side quests. One expansion is available on Steam if you want more and if you're not completely adverse to phone gaming, there's like 3 or 4 more expansions on there. Pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Check out The Quest. It's an HD port of an iOS game and it's pretty meaty considering it's origins. Grid based movement, puzzles, plenty of talking and side quests. One expansion is available on Steam if you want more and if you're not completely adverse to phone gaming, there's like 3 or 4 more expansions on there. Pretty decent.

Yeah the quest is really good IMO.

Lots of meat there