Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

sebzilla posted:

Is there a different between serial and spree? Where does "mass murderer" come into it?

I mean for the first it's basically what owl fancier said, do you kill a bunch of people in one event or over time, and mass murderer is the superset which contains other types of large scale death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

feedmegin posted:

Romans didn't use chariots in combat, just at triumphs/for races, that's more a Bronze Age thing :hist101:

NAMES BAZILEUS

LUV GREENS

'ATE BLUES

SIMPLE AS

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

MikeCrotch posted:

NAMES BAZILEUS

LUV GREENS

'ATE BLUES

SIMPLE AS

Oi, you!

*points to sign on the taberna door*

"No colours!"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sebzilla posted:

Is there a different between serial and spree? Where does "mass murderer" come into it?

A Spree killer actually has to come from Lusatia, otherwise they're just a serial killer who laughs the whole time.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

MikeCrotch posted:

NAMES BAZILEUS

LUV GREENS

'ATE BLUES

SIMPLE AS

My favourite emperor was Anastasius, who tried to do the Partick Thistle Defence and supported the Reds

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

duo cervī̆siae et uno fasces capsicum annuum rigidas, quaeso

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Two deers and a fascist pepper year inflexible cheese.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:yum:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
That cheese is in a flexible format

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

If you kill people one after the other you are a serial killer, if you kill people simultaneously you're a parallel killer.

:golfclap:

If you kill them retrospectively does that make you a paradox killer?

Borrovan posted:

So if you've only killed 2 people, and somebody's scared that you might murder them, would their fear of being murdered by a serial killer be rational or not? Like, you wouldn't be a serial killer until after killing them

Agatha Christie's first novel, The Mysterious Elements of Style, starring the Austrian philosopher-detective Gest Wittenin, was inexplicably less successful than the later Hercule Poirot series.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I do think the fact that this has become such a general discussion about men is to deflect from the fact that this was a police murder and we just legalised police murder

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's actually impossible to murder anyone because of Zeno's paradox.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It seems like you need a political solution and to do some direct action like the protests in India (I think) a while back, I guess those are being banned though

In absense of political action we just turn to yelling at our nearest acquaintances to not attack women or tweeting about it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think it needs to "deflect" from that because I would be very surprised if most people even know about the spycops bills. If most people interpret it in a gendered fashion that probably suggests that they have a more immediate experience with gendered violence than police violence. Which is... obviously true? Not least because a lot of police violence is also gendered violence.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 12, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Police murder people all the time, but it was a white woman on this occasion which makes it very bad.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah I don't think it's all manufactured but I do think some of it is cynical.
Talking about 6pm curfews for all men and crazy things that just start arguments for the news to push.

And it helps to push the "did the cops know? (almost certainly)" into the long grass

I hope something good will come of it but I kinda just think it's gonna be another big national argument with no political impact other than the country continues lurching rightwards.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Two deers and a fascist pepper year inflexible cheese.

Google Translate says 'the fasces in one of two Capsicum annuum crisp ale, and, I beseech thee,' but I was aiming for 'two pints of lager and a packet of crisps, please'.

Quite like 'I beseech thee' though, more people should say that in pubs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did actually get that but it is more fun to deliberatley guess the wrong translation :v:

Instead of cheese you could also go with accountant

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah I don't think it's all manufactured but I do think some of it is cynical.
Talking about 6pm curfews for all men and crazy things that just start arguments for the news to push.

And it helps to push the "did the cops know? (almost certainly)" into the long grass

I hope something good will come of it but I kinda just think it's gonna be another big national argument with no political impact other than the country continues lurching rightwards.

I mean saying it is cynical is also putting gender violence at a lower level than police violence when they are both a product of the same patriarchal capitalist system

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

sebzilla posted:

Being a cabinet member I think.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Borrovan posted:

My "not a serial killer" t-shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by the shirt

i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Rumda posted:

I mean saying it is cynical is also putting gender violence at a lower level than police violence when they are both a product of the same patriarchal capitalist system

I mean, from the point of view of the establishment they would be much happier about general discussion of male violence than specific discussion about of violence. Both conversations are important, but one of them is absolutely going to be minimised in the media.

Both of them are going to be minimised in the media.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Rumda posted:

I just mean gender violence can easily become part of the culture war media stuff, whereas the police stalking and killing women is more obviously an institutional problem.

Obviously both require large political changes to make the streets safe for women, but that's not the argument I'm seeing in the media I'm basically seeing people argue about whether it's the victims fault or not.

Which is basically like we have a problem with flooding caused by lots of rain but instead of debating what to do were debating if rain is wet and half the media is arguing that it isn't

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Communist Thoughts posted:

I just mean gender violence can easily become part of the culture war media stuff, whereas the police stalking and killing women is more obviously an institutional problem.

Obviously both require large political changes to make the streets safe for women, but that's not the argument I'm seeing in the media I'm basically seeing people argue about whether it's the victims fault or not.

Which is basically like we have a problem with flooding caused by lots of rain but instead of debating what to do were debating if rain is wet and half the media is arguing that it isn't

and the fact that half the media is victim blaming because it was woman shows that we need to focus on the gendered aspects of this to fix that

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Remains confirmed as her :( Such a lovely lovely situation

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Not to detract from the fact that someone getting murdered is an awful thing all round regardless, it is interesting that this is the one occasion where that gets primetime news coverage for days on end. I remember at least two murders of young women happening while I was in Glasgow, both pretty horrific, and while both were big news locally I don't remember either getting significant attention at the national level, and they certainly didn't influence the general discourse of the time in the same way this one has.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer

This is why I have five shirts and pick the one best for the occasion.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Not to detract from the fact that someone getting murdered is an awful thing all round regardless, it is interesting that this is the one occasion where that gets primetime news coverage for days on end. I remember at least two murders of young women happening while I was in Glasgow, both pretty horrific, and while both were big news locally I don't remember either getting significant attention at the national level, and they certainly didn't influence the general discourse of the time in the same way this one has.

Yeah I'm surprised too. What's the reason? Just white+attractive+london+it's been a while since the last one?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah I'm surprised too. What's the reason? Just white+attractive+london+it's been a while since the last one?

Yeah, I mean of the two I recall one was a working class schoolgirl and the other an Irish student, so...

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 12, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i'm not a serial killer

How many serial killers are you? :ohdear:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

A lot of journos living near Clapham Common probably helps.

Also the apparently motiveless cop killer is unusual.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

bessantj posted:

Take the purse home. Find her Facebook by using her ID in that purse.

You wouldn't find my Facebook page, and even if you did manage to contact me, I'd probably have cancelled my bank cards by then.

'Excuse me, you dropped your purse' is the 100% correct answer, I think. Then I can at least turn my head and look at you, and you can hold it out to show me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My NHS national covid survey kit arrived today. Can't even use it because I have to book a luxury courier with a fridge van to pick it up.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Mass murders are usually defined as more than 4 people in a single location at a single time, spree killers are series of murders with no cooling off period across multiple locations, serial killers are usually defined by working in cycles with cooling off periods between murders

So kill 10 people at the post office your a mass murder, kill 10 people while driving between post offices your a spree killer, kill 10 postmen over the course of a year your a serial killer.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
"you've dropped your purse I'm just going to leave it here" I shout, lobbing it at the woman's feet and sprinting in the opposite direction to present the smallest possible threat

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I have nothing against the royal mail rozzers

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

A lot of journos living near Clapham Common probably helps.

Also the apparently motiveless cop killer is unusual.

Now I'm thinking of that poor bastard last century who was hanged for murdering his wife and kid who said no, his neighbour must have done it, only for them to say "but he's a cop, why would he do such a thing?" only to find out years later that the cop was a serial strangler.

And yes I was reminded about it because of Abi Thorne's latest PT video. Been listening to the outro song on repeat since too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A few years back I saw a woman get in a car and close the door on her scarf leaving it dangling on the road and the car stopped in traffic a little bit ahead of me so I ran to the car and knocked on the window and was trying to gesticulate about the scarf but she didn't speak English and was terrified at this random person banging on the door and ranting incoherently while pointing at my neck and the ground and the door until I eventually took my scarf off, pointed at it, then pointed at the floor and she looked and realised and went from terrified to relieved and embarrassed.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1370015292835979269

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

"you've dropped your purse I'm just going to leave it here" I shout, lobbing it at the woman's feet and sprinting in the opposite direction to present the smallest possible threat

One step away from an unironic "you can't even SMILE at a woman without them saying it's harassment" post.