Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i am addicted to vaccine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

collect em all

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

brugroffil posted:

Today is the one year anniversary of me "asking" (telling) my boss was shifting to full-time WFH rather than couple days a week I had been doing. Been to the office one day to pick up some equipment since!

I think a lot of people can relate.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gravybong posted:

I got my slut juice appointment. hail satan.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
I went for a PCR at an urgent care Wednesday at 8pm and had my results Thursday at 4pm. There were signs all over the office that it would take 5-7 days for results. Nobody is getting tested, Covid is over.

(It was negative but I did it to make sure that my scratchy throat and congestion were only allergies what with this new variant in NYC.)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
https://twitter.com/P_H_S_Official/status/1370323762676137987

'some' being 30% after one jab and 54% after two, no info on efficacy of either vaccine in use in the UK

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
ugh now I understand why walgreens always seems to have open appointments...even when they're available you can't loving book them because their broken rear end website can't schedule your second dose

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

quote:

A complete analysis of vaccine efficacy among 147 PCR-positive cases (51 cases in the vaccine group and 96 in the placebo group) demonstrated an overall efficacy of 48.6% against predominantly variant strains (95% CI: 28.4, 63.1). The vast majority of cases circulating during the efficacy analysis were due to the B.1.351/501Y.V2 variant circulating in South Africa. All five cases of severe disease observed in the trial occurred in the placebo group. Among HIV-negative participants, 55.4% efficacy was observed (95% CI: 35.9, 68.9). The complete analysis shows that vaccine-induced protection began 14 days after dose 1 (42.7% 95% CI: 25.0, 56.3), although increased efficacy was observed 7 days after dose 2, the primary endpoint for the study.

I don't know if I would call 55.4% high levels of efficacy, nor if I would conclude it offers full protection against severe cases and death, when it looks like the numbers in the placebo group were 5 severe cases and zero deaths.

By that logic not being vaccinated offers full protection against death, which doesn't seem correct.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pingui posted:

I don't know if I would call 55.4% high levels of efficacy, nor if I would conclude it offers full protection against severe cases and death, when it looks like the numbers in the placebo group were 5 severe cases and zero deaths.

By that logic not being vaccinated offers full protection against death, which doesn't seem correct.

they even adjusted for HIV in the trial and couldn't get it higher. though 50%+ is still better than complete escape

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Barry Foster posted:

https://twitter.com/P_H_S_Official/status/1370323762676137987

'some' being 30% after one jab and 54% after two, no info on efficacy of either vaccine in use in the UK

loving finally

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Novavax who wants that janky rear end megabloks poo poo

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

chmods please posted:

I went for a PCR at an urgent care Wednesday at 8pm and had my results Thursday at 4pm. There were signs all over the office that it would take 5-7 days for results. Nobody is getting tested, Covid is over.

(It was negative but I did it to make sure that my scratchy throat and congestion were only allergies what with this new variant in NYC.)

I think this is a big cause of the decline in cases and also positivity rates. Cases because people aren't getting tested as much unless they have a bad case and positivity rates because that causes an increasingly large percentage of tests to be from workplaces that test everyone regularly (and in most cases those workplaces are already vaxxed) rather than just if they are sick or were exposed.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
this is the best news I've heard in ages

https://www.publichealthscotland.scot/news/2021/march/covid-19-vaccine-linked-to-a-reduction-in-transmission posted:

Where healthcare workers had received a second dose of the vaccine at least 14 days before, their household members had a rate of Covid-19 which was at least 54% lower than household members where healthcare workers had not been vaccinated.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://khn.org/news/article/cdc-gu...u-new-research/ posted:

CDC’s ‘Huge Mistake’: Did Misguided Mask Advice Drive Up Covid Death Toll for Health Workers?
Yes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Believe Fauci rather than Chinese who actually had a track record strategy at turning the pandemic around!

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

I went to the Walmart site to sign up and linejump and they say you just provide a work paystub, work badge, or other proof to confirm eligibility lmao.

Kroger doesn’t check poo poo btw. they told me if you answer the questions correctly on the site that’s good

got part 1 of Pfizer slut juice yesterday hell yeah

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Burn Zone posted:

Kroger doesn’t check poo poo btw. they told me if you answer the questions correctly on the site that’s good

got part 1 of Pfizer slut juice yesterday hell yeah

It's like going on Gamefaqs.com to pick the right "Choose you Own Adventure" choices

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

etalian posted:

Believe Fauci rather than Chinese who actually had a track record strategy at turning the pandemic around!

Sinophobia isn't racist if you couch it in words like freedom and democracy.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Mar 12, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Thoguh posted:

I think this is a big cause of the decline in cases and also positivity rates. Cases because people aren't getting tested as much unless they have a bad case and positivity rates because that causes an increasingly large percentage of tests to be from workplaces that test everyone regularly (and in most cases those workplaces are already vaxxed) rather than just if they are sick or were exposed.

wouldn't you see hospitalizations/deaths getting out of sync with cases?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’ve had bad stomach pain all week, but no fever, sense of smell and taste is fine... I’m trying to decide if I should get a covid test to be sure. I got the first dose of Pfizer on Tuesday last week and symptoms didn’t start till Sunday night so I don’t think that’s it

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

Yeah probably. A friend of mine got it back during the November rise and their attitude was basically "I just lost my sense of smell, why bother with a test which is going to tell me something I already know". Their case was never bad enough to need a doctor or hospital so they'll never be counted.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

brugroffil posted:

hard to say at top line because vaccines really should be hitting those numbers at this point too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pingui posted:

Sinophobia isn't racist if you couch it words like freedom and democracy.

Well all the western news articles were hilarious trying to explain away the success of the Chinese "all hands on deck approach" for how they turned things around in just 6 weeks...

Well they have less freedoms, the government shouldn't tell people what to do a in pandemic Un-Western!, Masks would make things worse or how do we know if the Chinese numbers are accurate?

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Just got the J&J juice. I got a hot tip last night about a shipment of juice being sent to a pharmacy. Supposedly there wasn't any notice given to any customers or people on a list. I think the people working at the pharmacy only found out about it yesterday afternoon. Like their original plan was to basically ask anyone who came in if they wanted a shot. Lined up 15 minutes before the pharmacy opened, was first one there. 2 min later, there was a line forming behind me. By the time the pharmacy opened, I would guess there were 15-18 people total in line, all there for the shot. I was told it was only a hundred doses, so that was a good chunk of them spoken for right there. A little paperwork, but nothing to verify.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

etalian posted:

Lmao it's similar to how the For Profit US Hospital system actually laid off hourly workers during the pandemic since the crisis cut into the more profitable hospital services.

Why is the work of mass jabbing left to private pharmacies?

The MN National Guard has 13k people. They're not all deployed right now. Why doesn't the state mobilize them into districts based on geographic proximity and population, set up field hospitals, and commence with a mass jab?

As vax comes in, you do a roll call in your district or just open the tent flaps and let the arms roll in until you're out. Then do it again when the next shipment comes in.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I’m so loving excited for a normal 4th of July where there is totally not going to be anyone dying of COVID and everyone is vaccinated and everyone has their jobs back and with higher wages and rent and bills for the last year have all been forgiven, and all those dead people are brought back to life.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The MN National Guard has 13k people. They're not all deployed right now. Why doesn't the state mobilize them into districts based on geographic proximity and population, set up field hospitals, and commence with a mass jab?

As vax comes in, you do a roll call in your district or just open the tent flaps and let the arms roll in until you're out. Then do it again when the next shipment comes in.

MN national guard is busy being ready to put down people who don't like it when cops get away with murder

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

etalian posted:

Well all the western news articles were hilarious trying to explain away the success of the Chinese "all hands on deck approach" for how they turned things around in just 6 weeks...

Well they have less freedoms, the government shouldn't tell people what to do a in pandemic Un-Western!, Masks would make things worse or how do we know if the Chinese numbers are accurate?

I hope it eventually dawns on people that it was mostly projection. It won't though, the think pieces are still manufacturing that consent.

"We lied, so just imagine how much the dastardly Chinese must be lying! I am not a racist, but..."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blue squares posted:

I’ve had bad stomach pain all week, but no fever, sense of smell and taste is fine... I’m trying to decide if I should get a covid test to be sure. I got the first dose of Pfizer on Tuesday last week and symptoms didn’t start till Sunday night so I don’t think that’s it

Those don’t sound like typical symptoms.

My old thinking was “why would anyone get tested if they’re not borderline hospital cases already?”

With the monoclonal antibody treatments now available, I would consider getting tested so if it did turn out I had COVID, I could get on those and potentially head‐off serious disease progression.

If you do get tested, wear good PPE, including eye protection. I don’t know the specifics of the testing facilities available to you, but it’s an excellent way to encounter a coronavirus carrier in the flesh.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

It's cause they signed a bunch of contracts with kushner for exclusivety rights

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

brugroffil posted:

more details...

COVID hospitalizations out of Florida, by age

hospitalizations of children and 18-45 year olds is pretty drat level over the year

but here's cases:

:sun:

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I’m so loving excited for a normal 4th of July where there is totally not going to be anyone dying of COVID and everyone is vaccinated and everyone has their jobs back and with higher wages and rent and bills for the last year have all been forgiven, and all those dead people are brought back to life.

it owns to hear biden talk about 'a more normal' 4th of july when it was already a given, vaccines or not, that most people were just going to do whatever they wanted - just like what they've been doing since late spring of last year.

seeing segments on NBC news about 'Life After Lockdown' still gives me a fresh little crack/ping. i mean, people have been asked to do the absolute bare loving minimum of wearing a mask and not packing 78,000 fans into a stadium. that's not 'Lockdown'.

i know the thread already knows all this, but i just had to scream into the void for a minute lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

IF ONLY THESE PROBLEMS HAD SOLUTIONS MY GOD SHUT THE gently caress UPPPPPPPP

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

covid isn't even real, I ain't ever seen a virus

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

they even adjusted for HIV in the trial and couldn't get it higher. though 50%+ is still better than complete escape

It is and honestly we cannot even tell if this is inferior without similar numbers from Pfizer and Moderna. Hopefully it is.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Phil Layshow posted:

Just got the J&J juice. I got a hot tip last night about a shipment of juice being sent to a pharmacy. Supposedly there wasn't any notice given to any customers or people on a list. I think the people working at the pharmacy only found out about it yesterday afternoon. Like their original plan was to basically ask anyone who came in if they wanted a shot. Lined up 15 minutes before the pharmacy opened, was first one there. 2 min later, there was a line forming behind me. By the time the pharmacy opened, I would guess there were 15-18 people total in line, all there for the shot. I was told it was only a hundred doses, so that was a good chunk of them spoken for right there. A little paperwork, but nothing to verify.

the system works!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Phil Layshow posted:

Excellent.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Danish CDC: "No no, there is no increased spread, we've just started including positive tests administered by private providers."

They didn't before?!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Those don’t sound like typical symptoms.

My old thinking was “why would anyone get tested if they’re not borderline hospital cases already?”

With the monoclonal antibody treatments now available, I would consider getting tested so if it did turn out I had COVID, I could get on those and potentially head‐off serious disease progression.

If you do get tested, wear good PPE, including eye protection. I don’t know the specifics of the testing facilities available to you, but it’s an excellent way to encounter a coronavirus carrier in the flesh.

yeah I really do not want to go the one place I know will be a destination for covid havers unless I really need to. I am seeing a GI doc next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Vaccines are more available than they were but are still very supply constrained so they'd be busy like an hour a week if they did that. Distribution sucks rear end but lack of mobilizing field clinics is way less impactful than the lack of having a centralized sign up and notification system.