Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ojetor posted:

It feels like GS is meant to be limited by MP, but then Thief also has Steal Spirit which for some reason recovers 3x the mana stolen. Just use Steal Spirit like twice and you're back at full MP for more Godspeed Strikes. No need to even setup an MP battery or anything. No brakes on the Godspeed train.

Whenever I use Steal Spirit I get like 20 MP. Though now that I think about it, I used Thief as a sub job. Is that the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I have a ton of beasts in the bank but it doesn’t feel like the Beastmaster passive is doing anything, how does it work exactly?

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Whenever I use Steal Spirit I get like 20 MP. Though now that I think about it, I used Thief as a sub job. Is that the problem?

I'm pretty sure it depends on what you're using it on. The logic seems to be the more MP the enemy has, the more you drain. I typically get returns of over 100 MP from Mage types. Be aware that using it on undead enemies actually DRAINS MP from you

It also counts as a weapon attack, so if the enemy is weak to your equipped weapon it gives more.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really like having a varied set of jobs in these games- no one sharing the same one unless it's to level it up but holy poo poo I was getting mad at the W/R/R/V trial so I said gently caress it and had a shieldbearer with salvemaker and 3 assassins/thiefs godspeed everyone straight to hell..

This is kind of absurd, this won't work on everything right?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Ragequit posted:

Pretty sure Steal Spirit is based on attack so you need an actual physical attacker to get a reasonable amount of MP.

Y'know, as opposed to GS which is based on Speed so even caster/support jobs can easily do massive damage with it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Watching LPs-I notice that Solar/Lunar Powered still get a decent amount of use even later on in the game, anyone else think they're good?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really like having a varied set of jobs in these games- no one sharing the same one unless it's to level it up but holy poo poo I was getting mad at the W/R/R/V trial so I said gently caress it and had a shieldbearer with salvemaker and 3 assassins/thiefs godspeed everyone straight to hell..

This is kind of absurd, this won't work on everything right?

The game has at lest one trick up its sleeve, but once you have one strong damage alpha, you're pretty much good to go. Have fun with the weapons though! The poo poo you can pull is really funny. If you want to see absurd damage, check out Hellblade and Ultima strike with Red Mage Convert HP/MP

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Junpei posted:

Watching LPs-I notice that Solar/Lunar Powered still get a decent amount of use even later on in the game, anyone else think they're good?

They're pretty good to keep your healer's MP up during dungeons if you can't be arsed to buy 99 Ethers.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ojetor posted:

They're pretty good to keep your healer's MP up during dungeons if you can't be arsed to buy 99 Ethers.

Wouldn't replacing them with MP regen and half mp be better? Only time I'm ever out is when a enemy specifically tells me 'no you can't cast now' and steals all of it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Solar/Lunar powered drop off hard the more powerful abilities you get. MP Saver is generally better, MP regen is better, but just get Ethers/use Salve Maker.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Solar/Lunar give 4% MP/turn and bonus stats.

MP Regen is only 5% MP/turn, so it's a pretty bad tradeoff. It does save you from having to wait for day/night in the world map before entering the dungeon I guess, but the cycle is very fast in this game so it's not a big deal.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Josuke Higashikata posted:

use Salve Maker.

As much as I'm horny for Chemist in FF5 I don't think I ever touched Salve-Maker at all in my run.

Maybe next time I'll give it its fair shake.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ojetor posted:

That's a good tip. In general switching weapons during combat is completely free and it can make a big difference. Particularly later in the game when you have a variety of weapons with useful bonuses like the elemental staves, weapons that are good against enemy types and shields that resist elements.

It did not occur to me that you could do this.

Of course this is also one of those games where I'll spend all my time unlocking all the various jobs just in case I want to use them and by the time I have all of them fully unlocked I'll be done playing the game.

Imagine if this took the BotW approach and said, "Here are all the jobs and abilities. Go bongos."

Probably wouldn't retain people for as long but man would the discovery period be intense.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Junpei posted:

I use a Maxed out spiritmaster (with white mage sub) and have never run out of MP. He can also top off my two damage dealers as well and I finally stopped needing ethers except if I don't feel like waiting a turn for refills.

Edit: does GS only use speed, or is it based on attack power and buffed based on speed? I'm bumping up to weight limits for some weapons but not sure if they matter for the skill or not.

Also, if you've reached 999 attack power is there any reason to buy newer weapons? My Vanguard is sitting there already and changing weapons doesn't affect the value unless the extra is hidden. The only thing I can see is that the newer weapons have greater chance to be targeted which hopefully raises damage in battle and that 999 cap doesn't also cap the vanguard damage bonus...

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 12, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

PageMaster posted:

I use a Maxed out spiritmaster (with white mage sub) and have never run out of MP. He can also top off my two damage dealers as well and I finally stopped needing ethers except if I don't feel like waiting a turn for refills.

Edit: does GS only use speed, or is it based on attack power and buffed based on speed? I'm bumping up to weight limits for some weapons but not sure if they matter for the skill or not.

Also, if you've reached 999 attack power is there any reason to buy newer weapons? My Vanguard is sitting there already and changing weapons doesn't affect the value unless the extra is hidden. The only thing I can see is that the newer weapons have greater chance to be targeted which hopefully raises damage in battle and that 999 cap doesn't also cap the vanguard damage bonus...

I don't know if there are hidden extra values above 999, but the 999 you see on the status screen definitely includes the Vanguard bonus already. The specialty doesn't seem to raise damage like it says, it just adds to your attack stat.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fadam posted:

I have a ton of beasts in the bank but it doesn’t feel like the Beastmaster passive is doing anything, how does it work exactly?

If you’re talking about their mastery ability, it literally just boosts the character’s stats. If you try to change from lv 12 Beastmaster to another job, you’ll notice that their stats drop off dramatically. Tbh it’s kind of absurd how huge the stay boost is.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game definitely feels a little bit harder than the other two, but not so much that it’s unfun. Granted, I’m early on so I don’t have a lot of jobs yet, but I’ve been able to get through it just fine even if I’m not steamrolling everything. :shrug: Game’s great AFAICT.

Do people really have an issue with the game?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Clarste posted:

I don't know if there are hidden extra values above 999, but the 999 you see on the status screen definitely includes the Vanguard bonus already. The specialty doesn't seem to raise damage like it says, it just adds to your attack stat.

I well that's a lot of gear I can finally swap out then; looks like Seth is stuck at his damage cap for the game short of bumping crit chance, and it's still less than my Godspeed Strike character!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Specialties only trigger when they're in the main job slot, right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fancy Hat! posted:

Specialties only trigger when they're in the main job slot, right?

Yes, unless you specifically have something equipped that lets them apply in the sub job slot.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fancy Hat! posted:

Im just starting out Chapter 3, and I got Salvemaker. But the dungeon are really starting to give me trouble and I'm burning through Ethers with my team, and I can't seem to do more than 1/8 an enemies damage with alot of moves. Is there an optimal team I should be using? I've got my Thief/Ranger, Healer (W Mage/Bard), Damage Magic ( Black/Red Mage) and Muscle (Shieldmaster/Vanguard) and im hovering around Level 30. Should I just be braving more for these rando fights, cause I need them to stop lasting more than a couple minutes.

Chapter 3 I've noticed is where you really need to start kitting for MP longevity. Solar/Lunar powered for your mages can do work consistently over a boss fight. Aspir attack is really nice for physical attackers who use MP for their attacks (BST, Zerker), If you're spamming godspeed you also have steal spirit, which conveniently gives you enough MP to do it. Maxing out pictomancer on everyone is hugely useful for both the BP usage reduction for your zerker Crecent / Freelancer Bodyslam / goon jumps, ect usage as well as the HP-> MP ability to keep your hard casters active.

I just got Drg and maxed out a couple more jobs. After re-working my current array of jobs I'm rolling RDM/BLM, DRG/THF, Shieldmaster/WHM, and Pict/BST. I'm thinking if I get enough JP stones or just grind it out using multi-battles I'm going to push all the characters into getting at least the BP reduction in pictomancer. Pretty sure I'm 3/4 on the RDM +bp revenge.

vvv Fair, but it is a nice boost when you've got the physical attackers finishing off something that has 200 hp.

There is a pretty stiff difficulty spike going into chapter 3, but this is also the point in the game where you have enough of the jobs unlocked and leveled that the really sick nasty combos start showing up too

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 12, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Chapter 3 I've noticed is where you really need to start kitting for MP longevity. Solar/Lunar powered for your mages can do work consistently over a boss fight. Aspir attack is really nice for physical attackers who use MP for their attacks (BST, Zerker), If you're spamming godspeed you also have steal spirit, which conveniently gives you enough MP to do it. Maxing out pictomancer on everyone is hugely useful for both the BP usage reduction for your zerker Crecent / Freelancer Bodyslam / goon jumps, ect usage as well as the HP-> MP ability to keep your hard casters active.

TBH ethers are cheap enough that's it's probably more efficient to spam those rather than waste turns auto-attacking for Aspir or using Steal Spirit.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

This game definitely feels a little bit harder than the other two, but not so much that it’s unfun. Granted, I’m early on so I don’t have a lot of jobs yet, but I’ve been able to get through it just fine even if I’m not steamrolling everything. :shrug: Game’s great AFAICT.

I just finished it, and as the world's biggest Bravely Default fan it didn't *quite* reach that level of amazing for me but I thoroughly enjoyed the game and think it's great!

This is after being extremely skeptical due to the demos, but it turns out they thought about most of the things I was worried about and it just didn't show in the demos.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pollyanna posted:

From what I've seen here and other places people seem to think it's a great game overall with a whole bunch of flaws.

For me a proper quest log would do wonders. I'm still not particularly sold on the story either.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

stev posted:

From what I've seen here and other places people seem to think it's a great game overall with a whole bunch of flaws.

For me a proper quest log would do wonders. I'm still not particularly sold on the story either.

I'm not the worlds biggest BD fan overall but yeah that's my take on BD2. It's a fun game in spite of itself with some flaws that completely take me out of the action from time to time, but the rest brings me right back in. Probably a solid 7/10 for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The story isn't as strong as BD1 and a quest log would be very much appreciated, but otherwise I really like it. The cast grew on me really quickly, too.

It definitely does things differently than Default/Second but that's not in itself a bad thing. It's a lot easier to max out a job very shortly after getting it this time, and the level 12 specialty every job has also seems to encourage you to continue using mastered jobs because some of them are really strong. That particular dynamic ends up making me really want to take a bit to grind up new jobs whenever I get them, rather than just continuing on with the story and leveling jobs naturally as I go through dungeons. I can understand someone else feeling that way and not liking it, but I haven't really minded it, so it's not really a negative for me.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

The story isn't as strong as BD1 and a quest log would be very much appreciated, but otherwise I really like it. The cast grew on me really quickly, too.

It definitely does things differently than Default/Second but that's not in itself a bad thing. It's a lot easier to max out a job very shortly after getting it this time, and the level 12 specialty every job has also seems to encourage you to continue using mastered jobs because some of them are really strong. That particular dynamic ends up making me really want to take a bit to grind up new jobs whenever I get them, rather than just continuing on with the story and leveling jobs naturally as I go through dungeons. I can understand someone else feeling that way and not liking it, but I haven't really minded it, so it's not really a negative for me.

I hope if there's anything everyone can agree on, it's how good the JP curve is

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think I still feel a little bit mixed about how powerful the level 12 job specialties can be.

Leveling jobs naturally is really well balanced this time around, especially thanks to the underdog bonus and how quickly you can gain your first few job levels and get a new job up and running. But mastered jobs are so strong that it can feel like a real downgrade to make your primary job one that you haven't already mastered when you're doing anything remotely challenging.

I'm mixed on it because I also really like that jobs have job-specific specialties that you can't just equip on another job as a passive. Which job is your primary and which is your secondary is a real choice that takes more into account than just what a job's stats are, and I think that's really cool. So in the long run I think it's a good thing--and again, I haven't really minded just burning some JP orbs or doing a beach chain battle when I want to level up a new job or two--but I can see someone feeling like it makes the game grindier for them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's good but the good is riding entirely on the back of how solid the job system concept is for the core of a game.

It feels like a real regression from Bravely Default and especially from Bravely Second which both had a much firmer grasp of things like UI design, QoL improvements and dare I invoke the argument again, pacing.

Even the job system itself is a step back now that I've had time to play with it at the lategame. Where Default and Second very much expected you to break the game; the ways in which you could break the game were meticulously understood. That there are, not one, but two infinite turn setups in this game indicates to me that the implications of the abilities in the job system were much less well understood this time around.

It also plays out in boss fights where the difficulty is derived late from everything just having counter all to gain 1 BP and act with max BP at all times, where Bravely Default for example, created difficulty by performing the exact same tricks the player could perform.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Honestly there are also real problems here. I joked early when I was playing about being in freelancer jail for the prologue and chapter 1 because JP up was the level 12 ability but the way levels and abilities are assigned leads to super weird stuff like Black mage level 11 costing as much as Black Mage 1-10 but rewarding an ability that's no better than Black mage 10 and the same thing is then true again from Black Mage 12.

It's absolutely maddening because the game is still good even with all of this, it just could easily have been great.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the specialities are very powerful, and adds complexity to building your party for bosses, I'm into it. it feels great when you realize cross-class synergies, such as Swordmaster's second speciality enables the subjob's specialities when you're dualwielding, so now I've got a dualwielding Swordmaster/Berserker who's much faster and whose Level Slash pierces Default and has Full Force behind it. it also feels hard for me to complain about the JP required for level 12 when it's ~1900 and I gain 75 JP a fight in Chapter 5-- I don't even have the Freelancer's JP increasing abilities. that's just a dungeon's worth of fighting, never mind the JP items you get from exploring.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

stev posted:

Yeah, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The good outweighs the bad and once the job system gets going it becomes really fun to experiment with different ways to kill things quickly lol

I was reading a review that criticized the game’s obsession with grinding but tbh I got everyone to lv 12 Freelancer in under an hour using chain battles and haven’t needed to grind since.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The good outweighs the bad and once the job system gets going it becomes really fun to experiment with different ways to kill things quickly lol

I was reading a review that criticized the game’s obsession with grinding but tbh I got everyone to lv 12 Freelancer in under an hour using chain battles and haven’t needed to grind since.

I have found that while the JP up abilities are nice, they are almost unnecessary. And frankly, that's three slots that more interesting abilities could reside in. They aren't useless but I finally replaced them and I'm having a bit more fun. If I do a bait-related grind loop I may re-equip them for a second but beyond that I grind faster when I kill faster.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Today I learned that (lategame job spoilers) Rewarding Results from Phantom doesn't give a gently caress WHO you apply a status to, just that you apply one. Very useful for my Thief/Berserker with the Phantom superweapon knife. :getin:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm at the presumably final dungeon in ch4 and my main complaints are the lack of a quest log, dungeons sometimes feeling too big and meandering, and that there's no summoner job because the summons in bd1/bs were rad as hell.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just wanna play more BnD. Give me more opponents game! :argh:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have done zero grinding and haven’t had a problem at all. Are you all trying to master the jobs as soon as you get them...?

Your Computer posted:

I just finished it, and as the world's biggest Bravely Default fan it didn't *quite* reach that level of amazing for me but I thoroughly enjoyed the game and think it's great!

This is after being extremely skeptical due to the demos, but it turns out they thought about most of the things I was worried about and it just didn't show in the demos.

I am also pleasantly surprised! I’m enjoying it a lot so far.

stev posted:

Harrow posted:

I haven’t had any problems managing my quests. What are people having trouble with?

As for the story, it’s gonna be real fuckin’ hard to outdo BD1’s story highpoints. I loved all the (BD1 spoilers) twists on the stereotypical FF story and how the game used its narrative structure and elements to surprise the player and mess with their assumptions. There’s no putting that genie back in its bottle. That said, even BD1’s story got slow and boring at times, so it’s not that hard to be on its level otherwise.

Inflammatory posted:

i'm at the presumably final dungeon in ch4 and my main complaints are the lack of a quest log, dungeons sometimes feeling too big and meandering, and that there's no summoner job because the summons in bd1/bs were rad as hell.

I’ll echo this tho, but I think that’s just kind of an issue with RPGs overall these days. Quantity over quality. Dungeons are never good outside of Zelda.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Natural 20 posted:

It's good but the good is riding entirely on the back of how solid the job system concept is for the core of a game.

i think i agree with this, i enjoy grinding out new jobs and combining them and their passives to break poo poo, its very enjoyable.

but thinking about it, i'm in chapter 3 now i think, and i haven't actually really enjoyed a boss battle yet. they're either trivial or just bamboozle me with counters and i scrape through.

maybe its rose coloured glasses but i remember enjoying a bunch of persona boss fights where my squad was up and running but the bosses could still challenge me and it sorta came down to key decisions on the individual turns and i had a good amount of information to make those decisions.
i've definitely won and lost battles based on recognisable decisions in a turn in BD2 but i'm usually just super cautious cause i have no idea whats gonna happen on the enemy turn or even my turn sometimes

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Honestly I think that this might be my favorite iteration of Final Fantasy's job system. Mostly because stats don't scale with job level at all, honestly, but the specialties system is also nice (it still has job level-based power differences but it's at least in a more interesting way than just. bigger numbers. :V)

Though I almost kind of wish there was no way to get specialities on other jobs...? If nothing else the fact that I can get the specialities on other jobs to a limited degree makes it even more agitating trying to puzzle that out instead of just living with the fact that I can only use the specialties of my main. And it's really annoying that Sub-Job Specialty 2 is on a post(/end?)game class - not that it's especially surprising given the potency of Specialty 2s but...

Also more specific to this game but I dislike that Surpassing Power is a level 12 ability, especially since if you don't want to use Hellblade otherwise on a character it's the only passive on them.

Inflammatory posted:

and that there's no summoner job because the summons in bd1/bs were rad as hell.

also this 100%

give me Promethean Fire again you cowards!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Communist Thoughts posted:

but thinking about it, i'm in chapter 3 now i think, and i haven't actually really enjoyed a boss battle yet. they're either trivial or just bamboozle me with counters and i scrape through.

I mean, I’m only on chapter one, but I haven’t had any issue with boss fights. They’re challenging, and I scraped through a couple, but they’ve never felt unfair or unfun.

What difficulty are you on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also freelancer is a perfectly good job and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong. :colbert: