Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel if you're forum banned from more than one forum, regular banning you is just easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Modding is incredibly arbitrary and often has more to do with enforcing fads within the forums as opposed to actual things. On the one hand, it is dumb because it enforces a kind of groupthink that stifles actual discussion. On the other hand, it does a great job fostering communities which are what make SA something special to this day. It's a very "broken windows" philosophy of enforcement but it makes the neighborhood a nice clean place where bad elements never really get a chance to take root. It's one of the reasons why SA doesn't have the Nazi problem that is endemic to the rest of the internet. A well maintained lawn doesn't have any beautiful wild flowers (RIP old internet) but it also doesn't have any noxious weeds .

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

VinylonUnderground posted:

A well maintained lawn doesn't have any beautiful wild flowers
excuse me

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Given that you are one of the most beautiful wildflowers on the forum and have been permabanned more than once, I would think you of all people would understand the metaphor.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Modding is incredibly arbitrary and often has more to do with enforcing fads within the forums as opposed to actual things. On the one hand, it is dumb because it enforces a kind of groupthink that stifles actual discussion. On the other hand, it does a great job fostering communities which are what make SA something special to this day. It's a very "broken windows" philosophy of enforcement but it makes the neighborhood a nice clean place where bad elements never really get a chance to take root. It's one of the reasons why SA doesn't have the Nazi problem that is endemic to the rest of the internet. A well maintained lawn doesn't have any beautiful wild flowers (RIP old internet) but it also doesn't have any noxious weeds .

So the moderator crew is basically the home owner's association of the forums. That's...a pretty apt metaphor.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Neo_Crimson posted:

Kerning Chameleon was banned from D&D, ADTRW, and CSPAM for being too insane (lol) before being permabanned.

Iirc he was also banned from a few GBS threads. Just a profoundly weird and unpleasant dude.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Who What Now posted:

You can post in the gas chamber?

No.

:thejoke:

I'm not sure if it is a forums permission thing or if all the threads are just closed.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Antivehicular posted:

(I know that there was a recent poster who was intended to have special coding to only be able to see PYF, but that seems to have ended very badly before it could be implemented.)

Anyone got more on this? While PYF's my beat, I don't recall ever hearing about that. Could they only see PYF, or only post here?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Anyone got more on this? While PYF's my beat, I don't recall ever hearing about that. Could they only see PYF, or only post here?

Wasn't that Dailokotos? They had planned to set something up like that, but then they just got perma'd because they were harrassing people over pms I think.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah it turns out that posters who are bad enough that multiple subforums tell them to get lost aren't really well suited to be posting here at all. Really makes you think.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

JacquelineDempsey posted:

There was a poster who, by his own acknowledgement, had a very unhealthy relationship with the forums at large. He did however have a good outlet in PMF and behaved well in PYF, so when things came to a head and he was next up for a permaban I advocated to instead trim down his forums permissions to only ones in which he seemed happy and productive. His recent (at the time) posting had me worried about his mental health and I did not want to see him suddenly and completely cut off from his only resource. The poster agreed to this experiment enthusiastically but it went about as well as any of you here probably could have advised me that it would have.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No one should ever be banned or permabanned. Only hellbans should exist and if you're hellbanned only other hellbanned posts should be viewable.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

No one should ever be banned or permabanned. Only hellbans should exist and if you're hellbanned only other hellbanned posts should be viewable.

an actual leper's colony

i wonder, would users in good standing be able to VIEW the leper's colony? maybe just the thread titles, "seeing it from the outside" to make it thematic?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Lib and let die posted:

an actual leper's colony

i wonder, would users in good standing be able to VIEW the leper's colony? maybe just the thread titles, "seeing it from the outside" to make it thematic?

:perfect:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

There was a poster who, by his own acknowledgement, had a very unhealthy relationship with the forums at large. He did however have a good outlet in PMF and behaved well in PYF, so when things came to a head and he was next up for a permaban I advocated to instead trim down his forums permissions to only ones in which he seemed happy and productive. His recent (at the time) posting had me worried about his mental health and I did not want to see him suddenly and completely cut off from his only resource. The poster agreed to this experiment enthusiastically but it went about as well as any of you here probably could have advised me that it would have.

And he made a pretty grotesque appearance in this thread just recently and it really drove home that these forums are not good for him

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You tried :bird:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I unironically love that you tried to find a way for him to have a healthy relationship with the forums, even in a much-narrowed form. You’re so good. :kimchi:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lima posted:

You tried :bird:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Solice Kirsk posted:

that would result in a secret underforum that would make 4chan look like pet island

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

whenever goons find secret underforums they seem to start sexting so this probably isn't a good idea

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

You guys are really kind, thank you :)

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

whenever goons find secret underforums they seem to start sexting so this probably isn't a good idea

:lol:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah it should be more like a "bad posts gulag". confine bad or otherwise quarrelsome posters to only be able to post (and in extreme cases, only be able to read) in a special subforum for a certain amount of time. don't make it totally unmoderated though, you still need to drop bans for really bad poo poo.

also other people should be able to view and participate in the gulag.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Call it the Whine Cellar

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SA's Greatest Secret Sexting Underforums

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Pick posted:

Call it the Whine Cellar

:nice:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pick posted:

Call it the Whine Cellar

Oh I like this! Someone text Jeff, once again the SA's Greatest Sagas thread has solved all the forum's problems!

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah it should be more like a "bad posts gulag". confine bad or otherwise quarrelsome posters to only be able to post (and in extreme cases, only be able to read) in a special subforum for a certain amount of time. don't make it totally unmoderated though, you still need to drop bans for really bad poo poo.

I suggested that at a forum I used to moderate. The counter argument was that having a secret forum carries with it a certain amount of "cred". My counter to that counter argument is that if we trap all the bad posters in one area no one else can see: who cares? There was an attempt at a compromise where other posters could go in there too. Never materialized.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I suggested that at a forum I used to moderate. The counter argument was that having a secret forum carries with it a certain amount of "cred". My counter to that counter argument is that if we trap all the bad posters in one area no one else can see: who cares? There was an attempt at a compromise where other posters could go in there too. Never materialized.

SA already has a secret forum and if anything it gives the posters there even less cred!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

SA already has a secret forum and if anything it gives the posters there even less cred!

It's true, nobody respects the mods

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

No mods
No masters

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oldpainless posted:

No mods
No masters

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

hmm

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Mod Masters would have been a pretty great name for a ska themed 90's tag team wrestling team.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That would have been incredible and I'm already regretful it never happened

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've been advocating for a form of probation like this. Essentially they are locked in there for a bit. No one else can post in it so it could be a forum of fine Art or people screaming into the void. The timer makes it all the better (they may actually fear release).

Others cannot post in it.

My working title was The Comedy Cock Cage.

Pick posted:

Call it the Whine Cellar

But I'd happily differ to that suggestion

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Rooted Vegetable posted:

I've been advocating for a form of probation like this. Essentially they are locked in there for a bit. No one else can post in it so it could be a forum of fine Art or people screaming into the void. The timer makes it all the better (they may actually fear release).

Others cannot post in it.

Isn't that post my favorite

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know this is from a page back but I actually really like Ice Phish's cyberpunk cyoa

:negative:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Guy Mann/Of Science/Sleeveless is forum banned from Games and Cinema Discusso, I don’t know of anyone with more than two forum bans.

Tenement Funster still can’t even see TFR though.

A CD mod banned me because I was making fun of the shortcomings of the Joker movie and its fans at a time when the kind of breathless nerd that thought it was going to inspire IRL mass shootings was running slipshod over the forums. Games was a brand new mod swinging their dick around on their first day of modship and working through some stupid grudge they had over an old post I made based on some information that wound out to be inaccurate. In both cases I was totally in the right and the subforums are worse off for the decisions of the people in power acting on hurt feelings rather than enforcing actual rules.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A CD mod banned me because I was making fun of the shortcomings of the Joker movie and its fans at a time when the kind of breathless nerd that thought it was going to inspire IRL mass shootings was running slipshod over the forums. Games was a brand new mod swinging their dick around on their first day of modship and working through some stupid grudge they had over an old post I made based on some information that wound out to be inaccurate. In both cases I was totally in the right and the subforums are worse off for the decisions of the people in power acting on hurt feelings rather than enforcing actual rules.

Shut up Guy Mann

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Hey remember when you posted a "worst movies of the decade" thread in CD and got so mad that people replied with Age of Ultron that you closed the thread? Pretty pathetic imo.

Or hey do you remember when you got banned for saying that a minor who got assaulted tricked the perpetrator into doing it for the attention? Should have been a perma imo.