Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
These days you get thrown in prison for being English and a man and smiling at a woman, these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

A few years back I saw a woman get in a car and close the door on her scarf leaving it dangling on the road and the car stopped in traffic a little bit ahead of me so I ran to the car and knocked on the window and was trying to gesticulate about the scarf but she didn't speak English and was terrified at this random person banging on the door and ranting incoherently while pointing at my neck and the ground and the door until I eventually took my scarf off, pointed at it, then pointed at the floor and she looked and realised and went from terrified to relieved and embarrassed.

Lol. So basically this:

.but making throat slitting gestures at the same time?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

One step away from an unironic "you can't even SMILE at a woman without them saying it's harassment" post.

*danny dyer* you can't even bean a dame on the back of her bonce with a targeted 50-yard chuck of her jar without the PEE SEE police calling you some kind of psychopath

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol. So basically this:

.but making throat slitting gestures at the same time?

Yes but I wasn't that fat yet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

One step away from an unironic "you can't even SMILE at a woman without them saying it's harassment" post.
Not sure how you simplified molecular input line entry at a woman but you should def be arrested and thrown in jail for trying, these days.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Necrothatcher posted:

A lot of journos living near Clapham Common probably helps.

Also the apparently motiveless cop killer is unusual.

she worked in marketing and her boyfriend was a director of marketing

I'm not judging any part of this, if a friend or family member or partner went missing I'm sure we'd all do whatever we could. "Whatever we could" is a different proposition for a london based director of marketing who, presumably, has an address book full of media people.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

The last murder I remember getting this much press was the one in Bristol a few years back, where everyone assumed it was the landlord because he was a bit weird, and the press ruined his life.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I recall some years back, a pretty blonde teenager had gone missing (sorry, can't remember the name at all - say it was Jane). And there was blanket coverage for weeks from the press.
Then one day, they found some remains of a girl, and the next day headline on one of the papers: "It's not Jane!" in a sort of 'hurrah' font. And I'm thinking: Wtf, it's a dead girl, and they're cheering that it's not Jane"
(It might have been Milly Dowler)

Same with the Soham murders. Two pretty blonde girls. Meanwhile IIRC a black girl similar age had been murdered somewhere (might have been Scotland) and not a peep anywhere.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
somewhere on some dusty corner shop window there is still a yellowed newspaper cutout missing poster for Maddie

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

The last murder I remember getting this much press was the one in Bristol a few years back, where everyone assumed it was the landlord because he was a bit weird, and the press ruined his life.

lol poor landlord

crispix posted:

somewhere on some dusty corner shop window there is still a yellowed newspaper cutout missing poster for Maddie

Not to be too grim but if I were one of maddie's parents (and I hadn't killed her myself) I would be loving hoping she was dead by this point

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Gislane Maxwell took Maddie imo.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tesseraction posted:

My NHS national covid survey kit arrived today. Can't even use it because I have to book a luxury courier with a fridge van to pick it up.

I was supposed to do one of these and I booked the courier and everything and then when I went to do the test there wasn't a swab in the packet. It was just sealed and empty.

So I had to send the guy away empty handed and my record of never being tested for covid remains intact

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

Not to be too grim but if I were one of maddie's parents (and I hadn't killed her myself) I would be loving hoping she was dead by this point

That's a big If there

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lol if the parents had been Gary and Shelly from Easterhouse they'd have been locked up and the other two kids would have been taken immediately by the social

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The bus was way over-capacity today but that soon changed when my cat did a liquid poo poo in the carrier and made the entire upper deck utterly inhospitable to human life

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean, if you had killed her yourself and it turned out she wasn't dead after all I imagine that would only be more disturbing

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Ahh, the moment I knew I was irredeemable as a human being was finding it utterly hilarious that the Maddie thread in GBS was able to celebrate living longer than the poor girl herself.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

Also the apparently motiveless cop killer is unusual.

the guy apparently liked whipping his dick out in public, I wouldn't exactly describe him as motiveless

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Technically 2 steps away because I was being ironic

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Failed Imagineer posted:

:same:

The Crown is an enjoyable watch, but it is (a) very badly written [my missus is a script editor and development exec and the show drives her absolutely mental at least once per episode], and (b) it is decidedly a masterpiece of pro-Royal propaganda.

Can you ask her the reasons and do an enormous effort post as to why? Please!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Julio Cruz posted:

the guy apparently liked whipping his dick out in public, I wouldn't exactly describe him as motiveless

I mean there's a lot of space in between 'flasher' and 'actual murderer'

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xeno posted:

Can you ask her the reasons and do an enormous effort post as to why? Please!

Ehhhh if I asked her to do this for my internet friends the response would just be a

:chloe:

Infinitely expanding.

Suffice to say, I think the main issues are just the reams of extremely artificial and clunky expository dialogue, overly-obvious symbolism/lack of subtlety, and weird pacing issues.

But imo the performances are mostly great, and like I said before the production detail is incredible and a lot of the cinematography is very nice to look at.

That's just my pleb opinions and interpretation of her grumbling though, I'm sure she could be talk at length but she's in the middle of prep for a show that's shooting in April so I'm just not gonna mention work in any way unless prompted :yikes:

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 12, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean there's a lot of space in between 'flasher' and 'actual murderer'
There is, but there is also a very obvious motive for a known sex offender to abduct & murder a young women

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Tiny-faced former DUP mayor not jailed after getting shitfaced and asking a 15 year old boy to 69 (probably) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56374647

make sure to have a shout at him if any of you see him about london

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think that's technically a 69

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
if there was a perfect way to signal to someone that you're not a threat then people that were a threat would immediately start using it to cover themselves. like when people thought wearing a safety pin would show you weren't a racist and then racists just started wearing safety pins. there's still things that are less bad, of course, but the only real solution is to create a world where people don't have reason to live in constant fear.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think that's technically a 69

Nah it's a 1690

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Same with the Soham murders. Two pretty blonde girls. Meanwhile IIRC a black girl similar age had been murdered somewhere (might have been Scotland) and not a peep anywhere.
Nick Davies mentions in "Flat Earth News" that hes heard multiple stories from journalists who were sent out to cover stories about particular tragedies only to be called back part of the way there because the victims were black. And that book came out in 2008, so hes probably heard a few more by now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kustomkarkommando posted:

Nah it's a 1690

Ah yes, when the paedo armies defeated Are Brave Catholic Boys

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer
i'm not a serial killer

Cop killer :cheers:
Cop killer :nono:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/DurstApologist/status/1370410564250443778

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Its a shame Paul Weller went fash.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ehhhh if I asked her to do this for my internet friends the response would just be a

Infinitely expanding...

That's just my pleb opinions and interpretation of her grumbling though, I'm sure she could be talk at length but she's in the middle of prep for a show that's shooting in April so I'm just not gonna mention work in any way unless prompted

Maybe if you could somehow run around in front of her and run at her from that direction she would be less likely to react badly to your request?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

if there was a perfect way to signal to someone that you're not a threat then people that were a threat would immediately start using it to cover themselves.
I started pondering whether you could go for something so ridiculous that they wouldn't, like a huge dildo or something, but then I remembered when the alt-right wore diapers and held a group tantrum outside a school to own the libs so I don't think there's a depth.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ah yes, when the paedo armies defeated Are Brave Catholic Boys
*5 Ryan reports later* We regret to inform you...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Fumble posted:

Its a shame Paul Weller went fash.

He always was a tory right back from the 70s.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I feel like Sebastian Payne is the nega universe clone of Nathan J Robinson

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

I feel like Sebastian Payne is the nega universe clone of Nathan J Robinson
I really want to dislike Nathan J Robinson but I'll read one of his articles and think "...yeah hes alright actually". He might be posh and faking being English, but he has made sacrifices; hes read several books written by Obama era White House staffers and writers. You know, the sort of person that would go to to write for Vox or appear on Pod Save America. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Flayer posted:

A spree killer is when all the kills are in a span of less than 2 weeks (yes I watched Mindhunter, why do you ask?)

Was season 2 any good?

Guavanaut posted:

I started pondering whether you could go for something so ridiculous that they wouldn't, like a huge dildo or something, but then I remembered when the alt-right wore diapers and held a group tantrum outside a school to own the libs so I don't think there's a depth.

*5 Ryan reports later* We regret to inform you...

I don't think running at a woman with a huge dildo will do much to convince her you aren't a sex offender

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

I really want to dislike Nathan J Robinson but I'll read one of his articles and think "...yeah hes alright actually". He might be posh and faking being English, but he has made sacrifices; hes read several books written by Obama era White House staffers and writers. You know, the sort of person that would go to to write for Vox or appear on Pod Save America. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Is he the one that got fired from the Graun because he made a joke about the amount of money the US gives to the IDF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Maybe if you could somehow run around in front of her and run at her from that direction she would be less likely to react badly to your request?

Could you show us how with an MS Paint? It almost sounds like one of those maths problems about trains.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 12, 2021