Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lurking Haro posted:

Hell Gate was a bit underwhelming. It looked like it only sucked out the magma.

I thought that was the plan. Expose the dragon so she could poison it again.

Then she complained about it tanking the hit, and I was very confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

She was surprised Hell Gate didn't kill it, it "tanked" the blow.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It’s a shame this wasn’t brought over from the manga

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rubellavator posted:

She was surprised Hell Gate didn't kill it, it "tanked" the blow.

>_>

I know what tanking a blow means. My point was it wasn't clear with how the effect was animated that she was targeting the dragon with the attack and not the environment.

Edit: Really earning that red text, huh?
VVVVVVVVVV

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 7, 2021

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

>_>

I know what tanking a blow means. My point was it wasn't clear with how the effect was animated that she was targeting the dragon with the attack and not the environment.

Then that's what you should have wrote instead.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rubellavator posted:

Then that's what you should have wrote instead.

Why? Why be redundant when the context is there in the thing they were replying to

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Yeah, I was slightly disappointed with how they depicted Hell Gate in this episode, since it made it a bit unclear whether it was a direct attack or not.

For reference, this is how the Light Novel describes it:
Immediately, the whole area goes dark.
Even the glow of the magma is swallowed up by the intense darkness rising from the ground.
It's as if the darkness of hell itself is seeping into this world from below.
It engulfs the magma, the ground, the enormous fire dragon.
The overflowing darkness swallows everything.
(...)
The darkness engulfs everything, converges, and abruptly absorbs back into the ground and disappears.
As if it were sealed away.
As if the gates of hell had closed shut once more.
(Kumoko finishes off Rend - she reflects on her win/grabs the body)
Checking out the area, I can tell the ground in a three-hundred-foot radius around me has sunk about fifteen feet lower.
The area where the darkness all converged and got sucked in at the end has become an especially deep hole.
Staring into the opening with Appraisal, I see it's so deep that it goes outside my detection range.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Lets not fight each other, what are we Isekai protagonists!?

AlternateNu posted:

I thought that was the plan. Expose the dragon so she could poison it again.

Then she complained about it tanking the hit, and I was very confused.

I was a bit confused too as its been a while.

Manga version is a lot clearer:

Rereading as well I much prefer the tone of the manga version of the fight as it conveys a much more melancholic atmosphere, like she's taken down Artorias.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I have a feeling that animating that would have been difficult

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I just finished the 4th LN and I hope the anime gets there this season both because it was cool and because I have thoughts.

Edit: stayed up too late and main lined Vol 5.

... Holy poo poo Piss!!

8one6 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 8, 2021

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I have now watched up to current. I do think its enjoyable in this format and indeed Aoi Yuuki is amazing - But, I think there's a frequent issue with the fights being unclear at points. Not consistently unclear, but just patches of most of the fights, especially the early ones.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Preview for episode 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C93jh9wG3KM

Translation, courtesy of Reddit:

Old Man voiceover: "I am Ronandt, the man said to be the greatest human mage.
Also, the master of the Hero, Pupil #1.
Still, I have a bitter past. Before I took him in, I met That Person..."

Kumo voiceover: "Next time: Who is this old man?
This is normally my [voiceover] spot. Like, seriously, who is this old man??????"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
She's almost there...

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’m anime only and agree hell gate was underwhelming. I thought that it pulled everything to hell and the dragon was able to resist being pulled in but was still damaged.

Anyways unless it’s likely to come up I’m still confused why she has a second magic brain. Can someone explain that?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
She got it because Parallel Minds gives one mind per level, and assigned it to magic as well because Abyss Magic is monstrously difficult to cast and Magic Brain 1 wasn't enough to both handle Abyss Magic and the other Poison/Heretic magic she was using throughout the fight.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Anyways unless it’s likely to come up I’m still confused why she has a second magic brain. Can someone explain that?

She got the skill up to level 3, so she has three extra brains. Each one gets to decide what they're in charge of, and this one ALSO decided it wanted to be in charge of magic. Which is useful to her, because for a relative-newbie, the high-level magic she has access to (like Abyss magic) is too tricky for just one brain. The first time she tried casting Abyss magic, with just a single Magic Brain, it backfired.

It's like that thing in Naruto where he wasn't good at making the ball of energy spin, so he'd just summon a shadow clone to spin it for him while he concentrated on other stuff

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 9, 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's because more Aoi Yukis is better.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The voice didn't say Parallel Minds hit max level, right? Are more Aoi Yuukis possible?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is how this happened, right?

https://i.imgur.com/oGJomhC.mp4

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 9, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

The voice didn't say Parallel Minds hit max level, right? Are more Aoi Yuukis possible?

An interesting thought!

8one6
May 20, 2012

There's no way the season is getting to volume 7 (which I just finished) so it needs to get at least a second season.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I mean going off every other skill we've seen so far, presumably there would be a total of 11 possible aoi yuukis.

But considering the ED only shows mind, body, magic 1 and magic 2, I think that's all there is for now.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Don't some skills get locked off if you max out another one and they get rolled into a new one?

Skill Evil Eye reached Lvl. 10.
Gained Skill Astigmatism Lvl. 1.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
One more level of parallel mind and she'll be unbeatable when it comes to patting her head and rubbing her stomach at the same time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lurking Haro posted:

Don't some skills get locked off if you max out another one and they get rolled into a new one?

Skill Evil Eye reached Lvl. 10.
Gained Skill Astigmatism Lvl. 1.

Wisdom rolled up several skills into one.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wisdom rolled up several skills into one.

Especially since one of said skills (Detection) was itself a composite skill.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Episode 10 thoughts: I'm curious if people who read the old stuff thought this was portrayed better in the manga or the anime...

The manga gave us this scene twice, first from Kumoko's perspective, then again from the human perspective. That was useful for the comparison, but did drag a bit. I feel like the anime gave us just enough to get Kumoko's POV, but I have a hard time judging, since I've already read her POV a couple times.

I do miss that we lost Kumoko talking poo poo about the four summoned animals, since she sees them as crappy versions of the Sì Xiàng.

Also, this was the first time I'd seen the OP translated.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 12, 2021

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

8one6 posted:

There's no way the season is getting to volume 7 (which I just finished) so it needs to get at least a second season.

It's already a two-season series, so we may just get to there. Also, today's episode confirms a few things discussed earlier:

1. There's a 15-year gap between Kumoko's story and the human one.

2. How she sees herself is not how she really appears to others. She's still a cutie, of course.

3. Listening to Aoi Yuki argue with herself is a delight. :)

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Kumako silently chewing out the adventuring party was a great little gag.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

For those of you who wanted her current skill list and stat breakdown, I think there's a slight mistake in parallel minds since I think it should be level 3 (original Kumo + 3 others):

What do the anime only folks think is going to happen now that she hit level 10 in taboo?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Bobulus posted:

Episode 10 thoughts: I'm curious if people who read the old stuff thought this was portrayed better in the manga or the anime...

The manga gave us this scene twice, first from Kumoko's perspective, then again from the human perspective. That was useful for the comparison, but did drag a bit. I feel like the anime gave us just enough to get Kumoko's POV, but I have a hard time judging, since I've already read her POV a couple times.

I do miss that we lost Kumoko talking poo poo about the four summoned animals, since she seems them as crappy versions of the Sì Xiàng.

IIRC, (manga spoilers)in the manga they were shooting arrows at her, which made what she did a bit more clearly self defense, but otherwise I thought it came across pretty clear: Kumoko wasn't attacking them at first, and her angry gesturing looked extremely threatening to the humans but after all these episodes we could tell that was just Kumoko being Kumoko. But yeah, the real question is how non-manga readers will react to it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, that was a nasty spider this episode. I hope Kumoko will stay clear of that beast. :ohdear: Also that happened 15 years ago. Just imagine how terrifying it has to be in the present.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thinking about it, I wonder if next episode will rewind a little, or if we'll just flat-out skip some fairly important scenes... LN/Manga spoilers: Aren't we missing a scene where she meets a group of adventurers that are hurt, she heals them, and they give her fruit? Or am I getting mixed up on scene order?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doodles posted:

2. How she sees herself is not how she really appears to others. She's still a cutie, of course.
And it's not even just the head area. The coloration of her back is also completely different since in the human perspective she's just completely white other than her eyes, while on her perspective the back of the spikey area (basically her butt) is kind of a grey/black. This is a somewhat interesting choice because it is different than the LN monster file picture. Nevermind it's just because we mostly got a view from the front against a dark background so it's harder to notice.

Bobulus posted:

I do miss that we lost Kumoko talking poo poo about the four summoned animals, since she sees them as crappy versions of the Sì Xiàng.

I don't think they put subs for the ED before as well.

Bobulus posted:

Thinking about it, I wonder if next episode will rewind a little, or if we'll just flat-out skip some fairly important scenes... LN/Manga spoilers: Aren't we missing a scene where she meets a group of adventurers that are hurt, she heals them, and they give her fruit? Or am I getting mixed up on scene order?
Yes. They are one of the adventurer groups that was mentioned in the episode. I think she also slaughters a different group, but I could just be getting that mixed in with Ronandt's party

kirtar fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 13, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

Bobulus posted:

It's after the first encounter with humans.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bobulus posted:

They've been shuffling stuff around from LN 3. (LN Spoilers) In this encounter we had today she was already evolved to a Zoe Ele before the battle, and had reached the requisite level to evolve from the encounter with humans you mentioned where she is gifted with fruit. We've skipped over the Mother stuff (which happened before the encounter with D) from the first half of LN 3, but I think we're likely to come back to it.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

New anime episode, and a new manga chapter. Today is a good day.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

DurosKlav posted:

New anime episode, and a new manga chapter. Today is a good day.

The manga one is a hell of a cliffhanger, though.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
So did Kumoko keep the cell phone or did she not understand anything those guys were saying to her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Double Plus Undead posted:

So did Kumoko keep the cell phone or did she not understand anything those guys were saying to her?

The cell phone is gone and she did not understand them. From her perspective they rolled on up, burned her web and started brandishing weapons while speaking gibberish

Edit:
Oh and also apprised her, and we saw the effect that had on the old man when she did it to him. Being apprised is not a pleasant experience

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 12, 2021