Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
PlayStation 4 thread: all about Xbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the PS4 is over

until Reis8 comes out

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PS4 is shutting down on the 26th as we all move on the playing Monster Hunter Rise on the Nintendo Switch.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

Fridge Corn standing in front of Blockbuster video, wrapping an oily rag around a pitch fork, demanding to be set free from tyranny

EDIT: sorry this is very ignorant, did you folks have Blockbuster over there or was that a US chain? I have to assume the UK model is something like "Mrs. Pranny-whatsit's Magnetized Ribbon Consortium"

I know what blockbuster video is

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Tbh the biggest appeal of HZD is that every time I play it I feel like playing the very much superior Witcher 3 again.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Video games

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
*walking away from the lone blockbuster cashier with a netflix DVD in my hand like the end of Shane*

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

boop the snoot posted:

Tbh the biggest appeal of HZD is that every time I play it I feel like playing the very much superior Witcher 3 again.

I understand the comparison but HZD and TW3 don't even feel like the same genre to me

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bust Rodd posted:

Fridge Corn standing in front of Blockbuster video, wrapping an oily rag around a pitch fork, demanding to be set free from tyranny

EDIT: sorry this is very ignorant, did you folks have Blockbuster over there or was that a US chain? I have to assume the UK model is something like "Mrs. Pranny-whatsit's Magnetized Ribbon Consortium"

we had blockbuster plus others and local ones too. i got my ps3 from blockbuster from a dude with green hair who used to give me game tips on poo poo i would buy and i 100% think he was a side-goon (goon who is himself in the real world)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VideoGames posted:

*walking away from the lone blockbuster cashier with a netflix DVD in my hand like the end of Shane*

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I worked at a locally-owned video store for 4 years and it was the best job I ever had

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I worked at a video store for 3 years in high school and it absolutely ruled. It was exactly like the movie Empire Records. You incidentally watch every movie and play every new video game despite not owning any consoles lol

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 12, 2021

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

One of the nice things about Game Pass is that you can also earn points which in turn can be used to extend your Game Pass subscription.

Personally, I think it's great. There's a lot of games that I had never heard of prior to the service that I tried and loved. Never heard of Journey to the Savage Planet, downloaded on a whim, loved every minute.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

PS4 is shutting down on the 26th as we all move on the playing Monster Hunter Rise on the Nintendo Switch.

Hell Yeah, I either have to get my switch fixed or get a new one in the next 14 days

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fridge corn posted:

looking at the Gamepass library there's almost nothing on there that I would be interested in playing that i haven't already played. Maybe if i had gotten on it at the start of the gen I would have gotten some value out of it but atm it looks pretty barren of interesting titles

This but for PS Plus

Edit: like no joke, it hits hard and feels like I've burned money like the joker when one or more of the dripfeed ps plus games is something I already played or wouldn't want to play

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gamepass is why I don’t even bother to spend money on mid tier games I kind of only want to play since they always seem to end up there. And then every now and then you get some real Day 1 gems like Streets of Rage 4.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

boop the snoot posted:

PlayStation 4 thread: all about Xbox

Playstation's hard where Micro is soft

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bust Rodd posted:

I worked at a video store for 3 years in high school and it absolutely ruled. It was exactly like the movie Empire Records. You incidentally watch every movie and play every new video game despite not owning any consoles lol

funny cause working at game stores means you dont have time to play games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

We would have movies playing on a TV in the store but I would usually just put Simpsons or Seinfeld DVDs on.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This but for PS Plus

Edit: like no joke, it hits hard and feels like I've burned money like the joker when one or more of the dripfeed ps plus games is something I already played or wouldn't want to play

Yeah I agree actually. The ps+ offerings are usually pretty poor. I refused to sign up for the longest time only finally doing so late last year to do some bloodborne coop with a buddy (which ended up never happening). I have gotten some mileage out of ps+ with the ps+ collection convientiently coinciding with getting a ps5 right at the start of a 6 week furlough, giving me loads of time to play persona 5 and MHW. Of course MHW would have been useless without ps+ anyway cuz I wouldn't have been able to hunt mons with fellow goons otherwise

But other than that I've played maquette which is a bit of a disappointment, lady corn downloaded concrete genie and played it for about an hour, and I claimed but didnt download control ultimate edition cuz I already platted the game on ps4.

At least ps+ is relatively cheap and comes with other benefits even if the complementary game selection is a bit disappointing. I assume xbox live or whatever their equivalent of the "pay twice to use the internet" service is a separate subscription from gamepass?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

At least ps+ is relatively cheap and comes with other benefits even if the complementary game selection is a bit disappointing. I assume xbox live or whatever their equivalent of the "pay twice to use the internet" service is a separate subscription from gamepass?

Gamepass Ultimate includes Xbox Live Gold but I dunno about the other tiers

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Gamepass Ultimate includes Xbox Live Gold but I dunno about the other tiers
There's just GP, GP PC, and GPU which is console and PC and Live Gold

Xbox Live Gold also still gives away four games a month separate from Game Pass.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
And gold was going to get a 2x price hike before the Internet collectively showed them the finger.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The worst numbers game disguised as an action game is God of War where it took me a while to realize enemies are invulnerable to your attacks and their attacks become unblockable for some reason if your gear level is too low.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WaltherFeng posted:

The worst numbers game disguised as an action game is God of War where it took me a while to realize enemies are invulnerable to your attacks and their attacks become unblockable for some reason if your gear level is too low.

I hate when games gate stuff by level like this

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rinkles posted:

And gold was going to get a 2x price hike before the Internet collectively showed them the finger.

Wow I just had to look this up thinking you had to have misinterpreted something. How did this idea even make it to the announcement stage? Did they really think enough people would just go “oh well guess I’ll pay double” instead of “guess I’m just canceling and/or switching to another console”

Holy moly

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Wow I just had to look this up thinking you had to have misinterpreted something. How did this idea even make it to the announcement stage? Did they really think enough people would just go “oh well guess I’ll pay double” instead of “guess I’m just canceling and/or switching to another console”

Holy moly

The cynic in me thinks they announced it purely to get the goodwill of "rolling it back"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The cynic in me thinks they announced it purely to get the goodwill of "rolling it back"

That actually does make sense, although on the other hand if that was the play I would assume they would’ve rolled it back from a 60 dollar hike to a 5 or 10 dollar hike. A 10 dollar hike sounds pretty bad but when you were just faced with a 60 dollar hike it sounds pretty darn good!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity. especially by the company that put Don Mattrick in front of reporters.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Coca-Cola ‘Classic’ isn’t a good strategy and hasn’t proven the test of time. You actually just never recoup lost customers most of the time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gate keeping is a bad look

otoh gatekeepers get to wear cool trenchcoats and goggles

fridge corn posted:

I know what blockbuster video is

There's literally only 1 Blockbuster left, and it's a 3 hour drive from me. AMA

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Isn't it basically an independent video store that uses the Blockbuster name for novelty purposes?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

do they have anything good

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

I was gonna say it had to be longer than that for you because it's just under 3 for me and I live south of you, but I guess going east first and then south really just is faster than the I-5 corridor.

my question: have you ever actually been to it?

second question: back when they both existed, which did you prefer--Blockbuster or Hollywood Video?

veni veni veni posted:

Isn't it basically an independent video store that uses the Blockbuster name for novelty purposes?

I mean it's just a franchise location that never closed, even after Blockbuster corporate did.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 12, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

When I was growing up there was a local independent rental shop called A to Z Video which everytime my dad couldn't help but call it A to B Video, referencing its poor selection

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm sorry, that wasnt a question

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I preferred video stores pre Blockbuster takeover when they were all cluttered and full of weird poo poo you'd never heard of instead of stocking 200 copies of I Know What You Did Last Summer. My local store had a section just for those 80s japanese extreme gore movies lol.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hollywood video always seemed to have way more personality to me. that's what i think of when i think of the archetype of the classic video store. blockbuster by comparison was just a building with some tapes in it

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

fridge corn posted:

When I was growing up there was a local independent rental shop called A to Z Video which everytime my dad couldn't help but call it A to B Video, referencing its poor selection

My father had a similar joke about a place near where I grew up. There was also a place called IntaVideo that had a separate room for the adult films, so my father would joke that he was going to penetraVideo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Not quite.

Weedle posted:

do they have anything good

No. But also there's a Kevin Smith Netflix doc about it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9ls_3tJ1Y

morallyobjected posted:

I was gonna say it had to be longer than that for you because it's just under 3 for me and I live south of you, but I guess going east first and then south really just is faster than the I-5 corridor.

my question: have you ever actually been to it?

second question: back when they both existed, which did you prefer--Blockbuster or Hollywood Video?

Definitely not.

Hollywood for sure. But Also in Eugene when I was young we had a dope indie place called Flicks N Picks which was sort of renowned in the region. I preferred them for movie rentals, but Hollywood was closer and also did Genesis/PSX rentals. In PDX we have Movie Madness which I think might have the biggest collection in the entire country.