Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I'm on that Peacekeeper quest where you have to get a whole bunch of stims in raid and holy poo poo Labs just loving kicks you in the teeth over and over if you're trying to learn it. I have zero gear fear but losing 800k rubles in keycards and gear because some shithead TTV guy with 4 viewers is camping a corner 3 raids in a row loving sucks rear end. Plus the found in raid rules make it so if you can't extract you're just absolutely hemorrhaging money. It sucks because I'm finding that I'm actually having a lot of fun playing the map, I wish they'd lower the cost of the keys so that players besides poopsockers can actually afford to play the loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

sum posted:

I'm on that Peacekeeper quest where you have to get a whole bunch of stims in raid and holy poo poo Labs just loving kicks you in the teeth over and over if you're trying to learn it. I have zero gear fear but losing 800k rubles in keycards and gear because some shithead TTV guy with 4 viewers is camping a corner 3 raids in a row loving sucks rear end. Plus the found in raid rules make it so if you can't extract you're just absolutely hemorrhaging money. It sucks because I'm finding that I'm actually having a lot of fun playing the map, I wish they'd lower the cost of the keys so that players besides poopsockers can actually afford to play the loving thing.

You don't actually need that quest for anything. It's not kappa required and doesn't lead to anything that is. I completed it without setting foot in labs. Mostly through killing sanitar and scav case loot.

So if you're frustrated by the quest you can just ignore it for now.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

FileNotFound posted:

My only issue with the recoil system is that it encourages mag dumps and discourages burst fire.

This basically makes it the best call to strap in a giant mag, prefire and just never let go off the trigger - and don't even bother ADSing...

With that said, I don't know how they could make the system better so I accept it as it is and run 50 round drums on my M1...

The recoil control skill reducing first shot recoil instead of a blanket reduction to all recoil would be a start.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Spent all evening last night getting stuffed into a locker by groups of terminator armored chads and finally got a single face tap on a lvl 51 dude immediately as he leaned and poked his head around a corner to murder me and a buddy.

The guy was geared to the teeth and carrying at least one other high level pmc's gear/loot and I felt his rage through the internet like a disturbance in the force.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Spent all evening last night getting stuffed into a locker by groups of terminator armored chads and finally got a single face tap on a lvl 51 dude immediately as he leaned and poked his head around a corner to murder me and a buddy.

The guy was geared to the teeth and carrying at least one other high level pmc's gear/loot and I felt his rage through the internet like a disturbance in the force.

Was running interchange with a friend and it was my first run with the 11SR card. I was struggling to find the bathroom and he was struggling to find the safe room so that we could ensure we get the loot immediately on door opening.

I find the bathroom before he finds the saferoom and end up hiding in a corner.

Cue chad who had just killed killa coming to use 11SR, shot one round and got him in the head. Full chad gear and pristine killa loot. Dude must have been so salty. iirc got a roller from the saferoom as well.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I was thinking of buying this game this weekend, so disappointed to see the low thread rating and a lot of complaining. Just had a few quesitons about the investment:

Is the game rewarding to play? Highs and lows or just a grind?
Is there a time commitment to it? Can I just play the odd 1-4 hours here and there? I just spent a year playing Rust solo and the thing that has burnt me out is the amount of time needed to get of the ground and maintain a base.
Is playing solo viable or is it basically that the bigger group wins 9/10? Are your gains from playing as a group tied to each other? Eg. Quest/story progression

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I was thinking of buying this game this weekend, so disappointed to see the low thread rating and a lot of complaining. Just had a few quesitons about the investment:

Is there a time commitment to it? Can I just play the odd 1-4 hours here and there? I just spent a year playing Rust solo and the thing that has burnt me out is the amount of time needed to get of the ground and maintain a base.
Is playing solo viable or is it basically that the bigger group wins 9/10? Are your gains from playing as a group tied to each other? Eg. Quest/story progression

The game is very rewarding when you pull off a big scoring raid but those highs tend to be infrequent. Most of the game is breathing a sigh of relief as you barely squeak by and there will be times when you feel like you're wasting your time and not learning or improving at the game at all (you are, it just won't feel like you are).

You can invest as much time or as little as you like really. Raids have a set time limit (I think the longest is 50 minutes) and you will extract from the map before that time ticks down, unless of course you get killed. Some people might tell you that if you can't invest a heavy amount of time at the start of a fresh wipe you'll be left in the dust, but that's bullshit, I started playing this game last wipe, four months in, and while it was rough, I did just fine.

Solo is completely viable. You have to play a little slower, a little more careful, but once you start to improve at the game you can and will run into groups and take them out single handedly. Maybe not regularly, but it will happen.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

The game is tremendously rewarding and sometimes incredibly punishing and frustrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzaNzJnh9l8

Starting out can be very tough.

There is a pretty involved grind if you want to go down the path - but you don't really have to as such.

Game is totally solo viable but you will run into groups and of course a squad will have an advantage over a solo player.

There is no real story as such but there are multiple quest chains.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

In my opinion, yes extremely but for the same reasons as it is frequently infuriating. It's full loot PvP which means anything you have on you when you die (outside of your secure container) is lost. Did you just spend 5 raids looking for your last quest item only to be shot by an extract camper? Too bad, try again.

However, it goes the other way to. When you kill someone you get a strong sense of satisfaction that you just outplayed them and now you get to reap your just rewards. It's very high risk, high reward. If you like games like that, this is for you but it can be infuriating at time. It's definitely a game I have to take breaks from when I get tilted.

You can play as much or as little as you want. The only grind are quests which you don't have to do if you don't want to, but not doing quests will impede your progress to getting cheap high tier gear from traders as you have to complete quests to get reputation with them to unlock more stuff.

Is playing solo viable or is it basically that the bigger group wins 9/10?

Absolutely viable solo. Playing with a large group can actually make the game more difficult. There are no names over people's heads so the only way to know if that's your friend or an enemy is to know what your squadmate looks like and have good communication. I am not great at playing in squads greater than 3 people as I get confused.

Are your gains from playing as a group tied to each other? Eg. Quest/story progression

Whether in group or solo quest progression is maintained and isn't scaled in any way.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The game is flawed but amazing (and amazing in part due to its flaws)

Extremely rewarding to play, as others have said, while the lows are often frequent the the highs are incredibly high (on a level that few/no other games duplicate), and the overall experience is intense/immersive throughout

The game is a time sink, but not in the sense of needing to continually grind to maintain a base - instead it's because the game is incredibly knowledge-based (on a level you won't really get until you actually play it) and you need to play many many hours to really get "good," but it absolutely doesn't matter if that experience comes in small fits and starts over multiple wipes

the periodic wipes (which are associated with major patches and sort of feel like D3/POE "seasons") do mean you'll need to spend some time leveling and re-doing quests to get trader rep up, but how far you want to go with that is up to you - getting to level 40 where you've got everything unlocked takes most people non-trivial amounts of time, but re-leveling to the point where you've got decent enough gear is very quick (and the chaotic thunderdome of early-wipe is when most people think the game is at its most fun), and there's nothing to defend/so little to maintain within a season that you never need to worry that you can only play a couple hours in the next week/can't play for X days/whatever

I pretty much exclusively play solo, as do other players (and streamers). Obviously being in a larger group is often advantageous and playing solo requires a different playstyle/general approach, but there are distinct advantages to playing solo in that you don't ever need to second-guess your targeting decisions/source of sounds the way groups of players do, and the game's basic gunplay/damage model is such that if you genuinely get the drop on a group you can potentially tear through them before they're able to respond (and/or take advantage of the previously mentioned need for people in groups to be more cautious about targeting decisions/noise sources to get successive picks via rapid repositioning). Quests are all individual - teammates can be an amazing asset in helping you achieve some quest tasks, but in general they can't actually achieve things for you (exceptions would be things like giving you a found-in-raid item you need and they don't, but they're still giving it up/will need to find/have found one themselves at some point).

LGD fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 12, 2021

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for the info. Bought it now (loving expensive for a Beta lol!). I'll join the discord but will probably play a few weeks to get the super basics out of the way.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Thanks for the info. Bought it now (loving expensive for a Beta lol!). I'll join the discord but will probably play a few weeks to get the super basics out of the way.

Do offline raids with no pve on one or two maps until you know where to go, the most frustrating part for me learning was that the exits are mostly inconspicuous and have no way at all of knowing where they are without pulling up a map online. Some are easier to tell but most are just a description of an area and you have to be in a specific spot to extract.

Also offline will let you learn the mechanics and maps without losing all your starting gear and $

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Do offline raids with no pve on one or two maps until you know where to go, the most frustrating part for me learning was that the exits are mostly inconspicuous and have no way at all of knowing where they are without pulling up a map online. Some are easier to tell but most are just a description of an area and you have to be in a specific spot to extract.

Also offline will let you learn the mechanics and maps without losing all your starting gear and $

This is true, though at some point you're going to need to jump into the deep end and as a new player there's pretty much no way to avoid getting frequently rolled, so I wouldn't spend more time doing this than it takes to get basic familiarity. You're going to die a lot at the beginning regardless, and due to things that offline play wont' tell you because even perfect knowledge of map geography/extracts doesn't tell you anything about map flow/PMC spawns. This will become apparent if/when you use scav runs to accumulate gear and familiarize yourself with maps (and you definitely should use them as a new player) - you'll notice a big discrepancy in how some maps play between your scav and pmc runs. This is because the random time/location of scav insertion makes your location vastly less predictable to PMCs, which greatly increases your odds of successful avoidance or getting the drop on experienced players.

Also if you are conscientiously doing offline raids I'd also suggest doing some with pve enabled, because it'll help you work on your approach to AI scavs (who are legitimately dangerous, especially to new players)

Weirdoman
Jun 12, 2001

I was walking down the street when I saw a bovus. And then it hit me...I was hit by a bovus.
When I first started out, I thought it would be fun to figure out as much as I could on my own without looking up any guides or such. My very first raid I was carefully choosing where to start and settled on shoreline. I load in and find it was pitch dark, as I didn't know you could choose which time of day to start. Well, I can't just quit and restart so I figure I'll just wander along this road quietly until something comes into view. Then I found something.

So I learned 2 things that raid, pay attention to the time, and shoreline has landmines.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I also found out the hard way that Shoreline has a mined area. If I'd realized that's what they were, I could have retraced my steps and been fine, since the first one didn't kill me. But I panicked and thought it was a mortar or a grenade launcher from the sealed off area from invisible Russian military like the snipers on customs so I just tore rear end out of the area and stepped on another one :saddowns:

The one nice thing about dying to mines is you know that stuff is coming back in insurance.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

LGD posted:

Also if you are conscientiously doing offline raids I'd also suggest doing some with pve enabled, because it'll help you work on your approach to AI scavs (who are legitimately dangerous, especially to new players)

Yeah I agree with everything posted here. I'd say this is the order to take for sure.

1. Offline raids with no pve just to learn the spawn spots and paths to the exit from them.
2. Offline raids with pve enabled to learn scav behaviors and spawn locations of loot and scavs
3. Jump into a real game solo with in-game headphones and curl up into a fetal position silently and listen for footsteps.

I also agree with the sentiment about group games being somewhat difficult in regards to communication. It's a constant comms game of "was that you moving? I heard movement." or "I have no visual on you anymore, sorry if I get spooked and kill you" or "I see a PMC, he's by the *generic description of map asset that could be literally every location in the map*"

tjones
May 13, 2005
You: At logistics, where are you?
Buddy who never updates pos: Hold on, I hear footsteps...
You: Where?
Buddy: Over here

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

When me and my group were first starting, I was playing with my roommate whose computer is literally right next to mine where I can clearly see the monitor. We were in a dark warehouse and I lost track of my friend, then saw a PMC coming from an angle I was positive my friend didn't go. I start frantically asking him if that's him I'm looking at, he's saying yes over and over again, I'm looking at his screen but can't see myself or recognize the scenery, so I shoot and kill my friend. I got better about it, but that's the baseline of how easy it is to do friendly fire if you aren't laser focused on keeping track of your teammates

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

My very first game of Tarkov I actually thought that I as a USEC player should not shoot other USEC players. So first time I saw a player I scoped in and tried to identify him to make sure I was about to kill a BEAR.

Never figured out if he was a bear or not because he poped me in the head as I stood there staring at him like an idiot.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

No game has ever raised my heart rate to the levels tarkov does. It is intense and punishing but ultimately the most fun and rewarding shooter i have ever played but certainly not for the faint of heart

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

please consult your cardiologist before buying tarkov

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

5 kills to epsilon, everyone in Factory please stop returning fire in case its me

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Any Euro goons that play in the Discord? I dont mind playing in NA but this is a game where the net code is already dodgy so...

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

tjones posted:

:greenangel:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

tjones posted:

I bet he gets TKd a lot too.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Does anyone use soundlock or anything like that? I have a ton of hearing loss from my flight deck years, so some ranges are dead to me unless I have the vol cranked. Then I get shot in the head and blow my ears out.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

bird cooch posted:

Does anyone use soundlock or anything like that? I have a ton of hearing loss from my flight deck years, so some ranges are dead to me unless I have the vol cranked. Then I get shot in the head and blow my ears out.

There's a good set of baseline settings for soundlock and equalizerAPO in the discord useful links

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
To quote a friends retelling of our match of Tarkov:

quote:

D, Lucca, and Burt go on a Scav run. Lucca announces he is the one wearing the big Texas style cowboy hat. His silhouette is unmistakable. A player Scav runs up to them but does not shoot at the group. They also decide not to shoot him and began to following this guy. A little while later, 3 AI Scavs walk up to the group as they're all standing around a campfire. They also don't shoot anyone. Everyone is now standing around not shooting at each other in a big friendly group. No one is shooting anyone. Scav comradery is high on the fact that no bullets are being fired.

D: "So anyway I started BLASTING!"

The bullet-riddled cowboy hat rustles in the wind.

Editor's note: not the actual quote, but new player in our group panicking for literally no reason

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

There's a good set of baseline settings for soundlock and equalizerAPO in the discord useful links

Thank you. I just started messing about in the discord

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Just Chamber posted:

Any Euro goons that play in the Discord? I dont mind playing in NA but this is a game where the net code is already dodgy so...

Whenever I'm on the Discord there don't seem to be a lot of other Euros playing (or any at all). I tried to play with NA Goons but I got disconnected every time for high ping so I stopped trying.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

People like the looting in Tarkov, but there really isn't that convincing a reason to. If its early in the wipe, you go out and quest with buds and stuff. If its late, you do some basic quests and just occasionally shoot a guy in the face for lots of free stuff (this always works, but late in raids there are lots of people who are very crap at videogames and giant loot pinatas).

You're not zoned out of the game by not having gear. You need a few decent bullets and some time spent with the penetration charts and you can kill anyone, usually. You don't necessarily need any armor of your own.

Skill-leveling is actually the one way in which Tarkov gives grinders a completely unfair and pointless advantage. Strength makes people run faster, jump higher, throw grenades further and carry more loot (last one is true I think?). Gun mastery skills simply make guns more viable in full auto. The latter you can fix by just clicking heads/chests with an SA-58, the former you're kind of hosed for.

tjones
May 13, 2005
If you're not murdering your friends in abrupt bouts of anxious confusion are you really playing tarkov?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Strength makes people run faster, jump higher, throw grenades further and carry more loot (last one is true I think?).
All of these are true. Also at Elite Strength neither of your equipped guns count towards the carry weight, so you can cram even more stuff in your backpack. The jump height increase is massive, you can jump over so many walls on Customs, it's insane. Still can't open Goldenstar on first try though :v:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

theres a tag in the discord for Eurogoons, but the numbers on that end have certainly come down from a couple wipes ago when there were no ping limits/disconnects.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

tjones posted:

One of my group was using "here" but after two weeks of the rest of us saying "here is not a direction" and refusing to act he's finally using some form of "blue fence" "north".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nutsak posted:

One of my group was using "here" but after two weeks of the rest of us saying "here is not a direction" and refusing to act he's finally using some form of "blue fence" "north".

I'm the idiot who starts describing where I am literally before I realize what's up so catch me on Interchange being like "Uh I'm near the tall blue fence."

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I am just stalled out. I don't seem to be getting any better and I can't keep up with the cash flow. Not sure what to do.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

bird cooch posted:

I am just stalled out. I don't seem to be getting any better and I can't keep up with the cash flow. Not sure what to do.

Time to scav!

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Oh yeah, for sure. I just squirreled away a few rubles but that's been the play loop as of late. I quest with some kits, get slapped and then scav and stash run. But that's blunting my desire to keep playing. I was progressing for a while, but now I'm doing the same cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bird cooch posted:

Oh yeah, for sure. I just squirreled away a few rubles but that's been the play loop as of late. I quest with some kits, get slapped and then scav and stash run. But that's blunting my desire to keep playing. I was progressing for a while, but now I'm doing the same cycle.

Change it up, naked pistol factory runs, with flashlight, at night.