Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

The truth of the matter is that Andrew Cuomo is one the major leaders of the Democratic Party and so yes, these attacks are being leveraged by Republicans to attack Democrats. Is that fair? No. But that's politics, it isn't fair. So we have to be realistic about how much platforming these accusations are helping Republicans.

This isn't about any one person, this is about the future of the nation after all. We have to do what's best for America even if a broken clock is right in this one instance.

no loving way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

surprised they had time to say that between being chain probated

The bad news is he has now started chain-probing people.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

It’s time to admit Andrew Cuomo is an extraordinarily talented politician

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

THS posted:

It’s time to admit Andrew Cuomo is an extraordinarily talented politician

Hes a progressive who can get things done

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
andrew chomo

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Judakel posted:

andrew chomo

:chome:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why do people keep saying PMC is this some sort of QCS dogwhistle?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i thought he was supposed to be the next president

or is biden knocking out challengers to his throne

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Asproigerosis posted:

Professional Managerial Class or Private Military Contractor

Honestly they both work in the same ways and piss off exactly the kind of people who deserve to be pissed off.

PMCs really tend to like PMCs because they take the messy parts of living away like having a loving brain or conscience.

It works both ways!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Asproigerosis posted:

it means technocrat. professional-managerial class.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Asproigerosis posted:

PMC is the fancy word for the bosses, compared to the capitalists

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

The truth of the matter is that Andrew Cuomo is one the major leaders of the Democratic Party and so yes, these attacks are being leveraged by Republicans to attack Democrats. Is that fair? No. But that's politics, it isn't fair. So we have to be realistic about how much platforming these accusations are helping Republicans.

This isn't about any one person, this is about the future of the nation after all. We have to do what's best for America even if a broken clock is right in this one instance.

pretty sure it is about one person specifically

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Judakel posted:

andrew chomo

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Evengelicals have as many kids as they can pop out.

lol that the dems' parental means-testing is gonna result in mormons & quiverful & hasidic chud families getting massive amounts of government money.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lmao

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1370439405845024782

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

The people whose job it is to tell you that no, you can't have Thursday off to visit your sick mother. Now get that tps report on my desk and vote blue!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Willa Rogers posted:

lol that the dems' parental means-testing is gonna result in mormons & quiverful & hasidic chud families getting massive amounts of government money.

Biden did clearly state that he believed it was important to keep his first wife knocked up until she produced a girl.

Nichaels got the news paper clipping saved somewhere. It's insanely hosed up.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

gropin broads is my right as an italian

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

I Was just thinking last night that I literally dont know a single person in the Seattle that isnt in tech that has kids. No one can afford them. And that dogshit bill does nothing to help most of them and shits too expensive here to survive.

:yooge: social darwinism

silicone thrills posted:

Professional Managerial Class or Private Military Contractor

Honestly they both work in the same ways and piss off exactly the kind of people who deserve to be pissed off.

PMCs really tend to like PMCs because they take the messy parts of living away like having a loving brain or conscience.

It works both ways!

just gulag all PMCs regardless

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

zegermans posted:

gropin broads is my right as an italian

Oh, I'm gropin' hea'!

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

hes never ever going to resign. he'll govern from jail

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmaol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Nichael posted:

The exception being Maverick, so we can have little a cyborg ninja, as a treat.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Fuligin posted:

this is so alien to me. Without avs id be lost. Identical ones i simply treat as one person

if you don't have an avatar you might as well not exist in my eyes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Judakel posted:

andrew chomo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

really queer Christmas posted:

PMC is the fancy word for the bosses, compared to the capitalists

I think it also generally applies to professions that are currently privileged in our society and involve being surrounded by other people from similar socioeconomic backgrounds. The latter part is relevant because it results in there being a shared culture among such people (and often an isolation from people who aren't from that sort of background).

Like your average "small business owner" has a directly hostile relationship with labor (since they directly deal with hiring/firing them), but your random high-paid tech/finance worker is more likely to just be disconnected from such people and constantly surrounded by people from a similar socioeconomic background to their own. Neither one is really better or worse than the other, just different.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

Biden did clearly state that he believed it was important to keep his first wife knocked up until she produced a girl.

I've got counter dossiers on all my enemies who have dossiers on me.

quote:

The loose talk that would give him numerous headaches over the years was already apparent in a late 1970 News Journal profile, one of the first features to detect and suss out his ambitions for the 1972 election and beyond. Biden told reporter Jane Harriman, for example, that he wanted his wife, Neilia, to stay home for the time being to “mold my children.” While he cautioned that he wasn’t “a ‘keep ’em barefoot and pregnant’ man,” he was “all for keeping them pregnant until I have a little girl.” Neilia would deliver the couple’s first daughter, Naomi, in late 1971.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lol at the media treating this as a somber announcement beforehand when it's just more tough guy bullshit

CUOMO TO DELIVER HEARTFELT MESSAGE: "gently caress YOU I AIN'T GOING NOWHERE""

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

white evangelicals beliefs always boil down to "more white babies", they're freaks

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nichael posted:

:yooge: social darwinism

Nichael you are a a person in the PMC class and that is what allows you to slum it and volunteer for failed campaigns.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nichael posted:

I've got counter dossiers on all my enemies who have dossiers on me.

Not "their children", "his children".

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I hate Cuomo's loving voice.

Thoguh posted:

Nichael you are a a person in the PMC class and that is what allows you to slum it and volunteer for failed campaigns.
sure, but a core tenet of my belief system in the left is embracing hypocrisy and doing whatever is necessary to accrue power. meaning gulag all PMCs (that aren't me or Silicone Thrills).

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nichael posted:

I hate Cuomo's loving voice.

sure, but a core tenet of my belief system in the left is embracing hypocrisy and doing whatever is necessary to accrue power. meaning gulag all PMCs (that aren't me or Silicone Thrills).

Im not a manager of anything or anyone thank god.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
its time for andrew cuomo to pack-n-go-home

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the gimli/legolas meme but it's "i never thought i'd be fighting side by side with a class traitor"

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

Ytlaya posted:

USPol is also a very specific manifestation of liberalism that is relevant to the generation of most of the people on these forums. It's the specific liberalism of "the 30-something PMC millennial."

My view of things is that a lot of the SA user base can basically be described as people who started posting around college age and then, over the next 10+ years, split politically based off of class. Like some people transitioned from college to high paying law/finance/tech jobs, while others were not so fortunate, and this is part of why there's such a political split.

I initially started due to browsing the forums at an internship in college and a supervisor came in and I realized that a lot of SA avatars are not good to have on during work (someone had a red text avatar that said "BIG AND BLACK" and I told my supervisor I was browsing a finess forum, which was technically true because I was reading the SA fitness/diet subforum).

I think one of the biggest times it confused me is when Ze Pollack's username was changed to Yeowch My Balls (them being forum-banned from D&D is also one of the reasons why I lost interest in posting there - they were the best at zeroing in on the specific ways posters were bad).

The Greyjoy mod took issue with me reiterating how Neera Tanden is simply one of the top toxic ghouls in US politics after she withdrew her OMB nomination. If you correctly illustrate how America is an oligarchy and not a democracy (and that your vote is meaningless), you’ll get labeled a “doomer” and probed. If you correctly highlight how the Paris agreements do gently caress all about climate change other than to manufacture legitimacy of the oligarchy, then you’ll get labeled a “doomer” and probed. And so on. I don’t know what the problem is there. It’s reads like a terminal case of Stockholm Syndrome with the Democratic Party; Joe Biden’s voting record is literally more to the right than most republicans and most of them simply don’t want to hear it.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Organ Fiend posted:

So maybe I'm just an idiot MAGA chud who needs to learn to code, but who exactly will be using this?

I'm assuming that this is primarily passenger rail, right? So its not like this is going to reduce interstate trucking traffic. For that matter, even if it did do freight, what would it add that current freight lines don't already have?

It seems like this is mainly a replacement for some/most passenger air travel. Who the hell is flying across the country all the time? Who has the time and money to do this (even if you eliminate air fare because "trains")? I'm not flying all over the place, taking vactions just because plane tickets are so expensive. I'm not driving cross country to visit friends and family all the time because gas is too expensive or the traffic is too bad. I can't be away form work that long, and I can't afford to blow all that money on food and lodgings. I'm sure this is true for most people as well.

This seems like something specifically for PMC people who fly constantly for pleasure and business. And its not like they can't afford the plane tickets. This is so they can make the trips more comfortably, and with the whole "I'm saving the planet" self-satisfaction.

Am I wrong here?

It's more for City to City. Like if I could take the train from Des Moines to Chicago for the weekend that would be a lot better than driving.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

Im not a manager of anything or anyone thank god.

:same:
I'm PMC I guess culturally! But my prospects and long term trajectory are substantially less PMC than some of the best leftist activists in this region. And that shouldn't surprise anyone. Poor people can't participate in politics because the entirety of this loving country is designed to shut them out. Privileged people should use whatever modicum of wealth they have to enable others, and tear down systems of oppression.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I finally officially removed my USPOL bookmark. Absolute petty children.

total self-own by admitting you had it bookmarked in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

actionjackson posted:

total self-own by admitting you had it bookmarked in the first place

we all make mistakes and it's important to learn from them :unsmith: