Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tom Nicholas destroys Johnny Harris with facts and logic

It's about a sponsor-deal for a video I somehow don't remember watching. Still caught me by surprise that someone who produces overtly political content for a living got suckered into something that is so blatantly political propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

ThoughtSlime is, as usual, good and right.

Slime's cool, he got challenged to a ~debate~ by some weird tankie and his answer was "why the gently caress would I indulge that"

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Dias posted:

Rowling probably has some heavy baggage she didn't have any chance to unpack because she became Rich As gently caress first and rich people don't need to do any self-reflecting.

She made a big deal about being homeless while she wrote the first novel, but I heard she was mainly just sofa-surfing in her mates big townhouses in Edinburgh, so she probably had cursed upper-middle class British brain to begin with.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"As poor as it is possible to be in modern Britain, without being homeless"

Apparently she was just on welfare and social housing stuff.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

literally a temporarily embarrassed millionaire

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

I wanna know what wizards living int he middle of nowhere Arizona are up to at some truck stop

I'm bringing this up. Give me some magical breaking bad, or like a show about truckers who are also wizards, making their way through magical trucker life. Suddenly their magic truck breaks down and they have to survive against deadly magical desert creatures for the night until a blue collar wizard mechanic arrives.

Edit: And yes, his wand is a wrench.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 12, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dias posted:

Slime's cool, he got challenged to a ~debate~ by some weird tankie and his answer was "why the gently caress would I indulge that"

do you mean when TS tried to do some weird sick burn about the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact being proof anarchists are better than communists, and when even other anarchists pointed out what a dogshit slam that was because the pact was signed after the Soviets got their plan to form an antifascist bloc with the UK and France rejected and they had no real other option but to sign a non-aggression deal they knew would be broken they got really huffy and accused the other anarchists of wanting to murder the ~real anarchists~ because that's what all communists really want?

TS is loving stupid as hell my dude, like easily one of the dumbest on breadtube poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think we’ve reached the point where you shouldn’t take anyone who says tankie seriously

Though this applies to any shorthand used to delegitimization your opponent without needing engagement I suppose

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 12, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'hey you're saying something kinda dumb, your version of things isn't accurate and also completely absolves the capitalists in the west from their outright support and positivity to Hitler's Germany'

'lol I bet you want to literally murder me, a youtube moron, like all communists do'

What an epic smackdown of tankies.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
I mean, has he said anything dangerously wrong in his videos? Because that's all I care about. I don't give a poo poo if he's wildin' out on some petty business on Twitter. Everyone is the worst version of themselves on Twitter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I dunno he's an anarchist so probably but I'm not watching that stuff

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think we’ve reached the point where you shouldn’t take anyone who says tankie seriously

No, tankie is good like chud is, you just use it for Stalin, Pol Pot, Kim, CCP rear end kissers instead of Hitler and Pinochet and so on rear end kissers.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

sexpig by night posted:

do you mean when TS tried to do some weird sick burn about the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact being proof anarchists are better than communists, and when even other anarchists pointed out what a dogshit slam that was because the pact was signed after the Soviets got their plan to form an antifascist bloc with the UK and France rejected and they had no real other option but to sign a non-aggression deal they knew would be broken they got really huffy and accused the other anarchists of wanting to murder the ~real anarchists~ because that's what all communists really want?

TS is loving stupid as hell my dude, like easily one of the dumbest on breadtube poo poo.

I think it was because this random dude called redlight or whatever challenged him to a debate and debates are inherently stupid and worthless but sure, whatever floats your boat. Also, tankie.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I have absolutely no idea what sectarian arguments are motivating all this but TS passes the sniff test for me in that his policies and beliefs seem rooted in a desire for the wellbeing of others and disdain for power.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DoctorWhat posted:

I have absolutely no idea what sectarian arguments are motivating all this but TS passes the sniff test for me in that his policies and beliefs seem rooted in a desire for the wellbeing of others and disdain for power.

I'unno, he's chill, would eat edibles with the dude and Bobby Duke.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
foolishness. without power, how can you hope to protect the ones that you love? YERRRAAAAAAAGH~

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

is vergil, son of sparda, a tankie: the longest thread in the history of forums

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Dias posted:

I think it was because this random dude called redlight or whatever challenged him to a debate and debates are inherently stupid and worthless but sure, whatever floats your boat. Also, tankie.

debates are stupid and worthless when they're against people guaranteed to argue in bad faith. i think leftists can probably debate each other or at least discuss different perspectives on the same historical event without devolving into bad faith exchanges.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DoctorWhat posted:

is vergil, son of sparda, a tankie: the longest thread in the history of forums

I think he's just a monarchist, dude's way too into Victorian era cosplay and other Romantic bullshit. Also y'know, son of a Feudal Lord and all.

Impermanent posted:

debates are stupid and worthless when they're against people guaranteed to argue in bad faith. i think leftists can probably debate each other or at least discuss different perspectives on the same historical event without devolving into bad faith exchanges.

I don't think anyone ever set an "internet debate" without the intent of WINNING it, which is the problem. Cue that Sarah Z video, etc.

Dias fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 12, 2021

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I also have strong feelings about people that I've never actually listened to, because I have the strongest, most powerful brain of them all. Thought Slime refuses to debate me and mine because he's AFRAID of being destroyed on the battlefield of logic and reason, and not because they have a long history of disdain for online debates.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyBEBVEMweI

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

yea these are both basically correct although most of the time he isn't really talking about the kind of stuff that anarchists are really annoying about. mostly he just says kind of banal or obvious things with a kind of stage presence one can only describe as "guy who took multiple calligraphy classes in college." He's an inoffensive non-grifting version of peter coffin.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

egg tats posted:

I also have strong feelings about people that I've never actually listened to, because I have the strongest, most powerful brain of them all. Thought Slime refuses to debate me and mine because he's AFRAID of being destroyed on the battlefield of logic and reason, and not because they have a long history of disdain for online debates.

I reacted to a thing he did, I'm not gonna watch all his videos to monitor for other weird lies. I'm sorry? I don't want to debate him, debates are stupid.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

thought slime seems like a good person. i have anarchist and marxist friends and i've only had to break up one argument in the past year

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

egg tats posted:

I hope he notices your efforts man

A knight without his king is a sad sight

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

cool good faith here

e; not that you have to watch his videos but "he said something stupid on twitter and is an anarchist so he's probably said something harmful in his videos" is dumb, and as far as I am aware wrong.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 12, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
teh youtube anarchist lol

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

"heh, yet you live in society, curious" and the rest

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you can't say anything harmful if your big gun videos are stuff like "feels like calling people degenerates is a bad idea" and other incisive, devastating insights

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tankies gets misused a lot for sure but using it to describe those authoritarian communists who are still way into imperialism is very good. I say this as someone who doesn't buy into the vanguard idea at all.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I mean this thread is debating whether or not tankie is a legit term on the same page someone made excuses for the Soviet invasion and occupation of its neighbours whilst providing material aide to the German war machine.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

All you ever need to see to understand why tankie is a valuable "lol gently caress off" phrase is to see one of the insane Kim/DPRK apologists who have absolutely drowned themselves in the gin and juche.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

nah tankie as term might be rooted in anti-soviet american propaganda but that doesn't mean it's actual usage is always incorrect.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though this applies to any shorthand used to delegitimization your opponent without needing engagement I suppose
I'll keep using terf thanks

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

BFC posted:

nah tankie as term might be rooted in anti-soviet american propaganda but that doesn't mean it's actual usage is always incorrect.
I'll keep using terf thanks

The term comes from the Communist Party of Great Britain membership who were about to leave in disgust and used it to criticise the other members who were so far gone they still openly supported the destruction of Budapest by soviet tanks. It has nothing to do with American propaganda, you can trace back the terms first appearance in print to an interview in the late 50s with a hardline Stalinist who accepted the designation as an accurate one.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I've only seen a couple of his vids but Thought Slime seems like a cool dood. Also, tankies (the term itself) is good when it's not being used by conservatives/neolibs to describe anyone who wants universal healthcare lol

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

genuinely thanks for the history lesson. I'd heard muddied things on the origin.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

All you ever need to see to understand why tankie is a valuable "lol gently caress off" phrase is to see one of the insane Kim/DPRK apologists who have absolutely drowned themselves in the gin and juche.

Yeah, there are Marxist Leninists who I disagree with but can respect and overall feel like we're working towards the same goal and there are /pol/ doomposting tankies which aren't worth engaging and eventually become so insufferable they get exiled from leftist spaces anyway...

Regardless, I was just saying Slime is cool and ignores the latter. I apologize for using the t-word, comrades.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Seems like that’s the point of to not take things seriously. Doesn’t mean there aren’t moments where that makes sense.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

in practice tankie is used for pretty much anyone who engages in even mild criticism of imperialism so it's hard to take seriously. if I see it I'm asking myself "so are they referring to a media literate skeptic of WMDs in Iraq or some nazbol kid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

even mild criticism of imperialism

Huh, a bunch of tankies fuckin love imperialism if it's The Right People doing it.