Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I really don't like the lack of distinction between home and work spaces. I much prefer it being in another building entirely. Might be my location on the spectrum, might just be a sign I need a shed office at the bottom of the garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Qine

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

goatface posted:

Ugh. Qine

:hmmyes:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you're not friends with at least some of your coworkers your job loving sucks and I can understand why you'd arbitrarily dedicate a portion of your own personal space that you pay good money for to a company that already saps your very lifetime, just to not have to actually go there, which in isolation strikes me as a perfectly mad thing to do.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

chglcu posted:

I think some people are broken and think of coworkers as friends rather than just people who are paid to tolerate each other for 40 hours a week

I guess there's also the people who just have a really lovely setup for WFH due to having kids around and whatnot. Those I can at least understand, just wish they weren't so insistent about dragging the rest of us back with them.

Hello, I am the second half (not due to kids, thank God). I don't have space in my apartment for a full WFH setup and I am keenly aware that I'm affected much worse by ADHD-related issues when in my own home than in the office. I'd be working with fragmented focus from a rickety counter-height dining table on a small single-screen laptop. Versus a dedicated setup I've had months back to improve on.

I'm the only one on my team who continues to go in every day despite the 40 minute commute. The alternative is my productivity crashing and putting my job at risk. (Plus my ergonomic stuff is all at work right now and is a pain to move and set up each time, even if not all of it works.)

I would never try and compel my coworkers to come into the office if they were uncomfortable though. Right now it's split weeks and people seem happy with that. Nobody sick yet (one person had a family member ill, and they isolated and did WFH until they were fully in the clear) and people are starting to get vaccinated.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you're not friends with at least some of your coworkers your job loving sucks and I can understand why you'd arbitrarily dedicate a portion of your own personal space that you pay good money for to a company that already saps your very lifetime, just to not have to actually go there, which in isolation strikes me as a perfectly mad thing to do.

I disagree with this pretty much completely. I wasn't saying you can't be friends with coworkers, but if they're actual friends, you don't need an office to force you together. You can (and should) be decent and respectful to your coworkers. We might have different definitions of friends though. I would say a friend is someone you can go to when you have a problem or need help moving or something and you'll do the same for them. Someone you actually want to go do non-work things with. Someone who you actually care about. Having friends in the office are not necessary for a job to not suck. It's totally okay for them to just be acquaintences.

Also, in my case at least, I'm not dedicating any of my space to my employer beyond the floorprint of the computer they sent me that sits in the same room where I do my work for myself in my personal time. Or I use my laptop and work from my couch or bed when I don't feel like being in that room. I'm also not the kind of person who has trouble switching out of work mode though, which I know isn't the case for everyone.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hello, I am the second half (not due to kids, thank God). I don't have space in my apartment for a full WFH setup and I am keenly aware that I'm affected much worse by ADHD-related issues when in my own home than in the office. I'd be working with fragmented focus from a rickety counter-height dining table on a small single-screen laptop. Versus a dedicated setup I've had months back to improve on.

I'm the only one on my team who continues to go in every day despite the 40 minute commute. The alternative is my productivity crashing and putting my job at risk. (Plus my ergonomic stuff is all at work right now and is a pain to move and set up each time, even if not all of it works.)

I would never try and compel my coworkers to come into the office if they were uncomfortable though. Right now it's split weeks and people seem happy with that. Nobody sick yet (one person had a family member ill, and they isolated and did WFH until they were fully in the clear) and people are starting to get vaccinated.

I personally find my productivity is much better WFH. Not having the distractions of the open office plan all game development companies go with is really helpful. It's also extremely nice to not have to deal with the massive energy drain of being in a constant social situation for hours on end.

It would be nice if companies could find solutions that work for all people, when it's clear even from just this thread that we're all very different. I have zero confidence in that actually happening, though.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 12, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Companies should just make working from office optional, and those working from home get a stipend to cover home office costs, taken from the savings of not having an office full of people. Hey Woah everybody is happy? Can't have that.

chglcu posted:

You can (and should) be decent and respectful to your coworkers.

Lol look at this dweeb

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

SkyeAuroline posted:

My ADHD manifests in a way that makes most “trendy” open office plans with no cubes a nightmare for getting anything done.

Some idiot watching a video 10y away? Can’t take my eyes off it. Coworkers spilling the hot goss behind me... Wearing headphones with no music in them (I got distracted when the playlist ended, then forgot) so people tap me on the shoulder and trigger my social anxieties... overhearing execs talking through their paper thin walls... noticing people coming and going...

I eat healthier in an office. Less to mindlessly binge on.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

MrQueasy posted:

My ADHD manifests in a way that makes most “trendy” open office plans with no cubes a nightmare for getting anything done.

Some idiot watching a video 10y away? Can’t take my eyes off it. Coworkers spilling the hot goss behind me... Wearing headphones with no music in them (I got distracted when the playlist ended, then forgot) so people tap me on the shoulder and trigger my social anxieties... overhearing execs talking through their paper thin walls... noticing people coming and going...

I eat healthier in an office. Less to mindlessly binge on.

Eating is a component of it too, yeah. Most of the time I just keep my lunches (just sandwiches, I'm basic, though I have a couple ramen containers now in case I forget to replace perishable stuff), a box ot saltines, and one or two other things (bananas or whatever) here. Give me my whole fridge and cabinet... eh, I already have a hard enough time, unlimited access is unhelpful.
Fortunately my employer lets me keep headphones on and we're in cubes.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

SkyeAuroline posted:

Fortunately my employer lets me keep headphones on and we're in cubes.

God I miss when developers were upset about having to move from shared offices to tall cubes.

Then it was tall cubes to short cubes.

Then 3/4 cubes with shared courtyard.

Then everyone had their own 4' desk.

Then 3'.

And then somewhere in there they added concrete floors and industrial/no-tile ceilings for that "startup aesthetic". UGH... so MUCH NOISE.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Woo, it's three-hour quarterly meeting day!

Highlights:

We can't have documentation or policies because it's too much work. We can't have competitive pay, OT, or bonuses because actually there is a very complicated policy that clearly outlines..."

HR giving HR awards.

We can't have federal holidays off because the CEO doesn't like holidays.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

MrQueasy posted:

God I miss when developers were upset about having to move from shared offices to tall cubes.

Then it was tall cubes to short cubes.

Then 3/4 cubes with shared courtyard.

Then everyone had their own 4' desk.

Then 3'.

And then somewhere in there they added concrete floors and industrial/no-tile ceilings for that "startup aesthetic". UGH... so MUCH NOISE.

Right now we're at sorta 3/4 cubes with a shared hall. Of course, instead of splitting our team across the hall, we're split across the tall wall with opaque walls in between us. Very good organization.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I think it's going to be hard for there not to be inequity between people who go to the office and get tons of face time and conversations with their bosses and those who work from home and get none of that.

It works right now because everyone is on equal footing for the most part.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Open office designs are loving stupid leave me the hell alone and let us collaborate passive aggressively over IM's like normal people

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Batterypowered7 posted:

Dumb poo poo my work does:

*In a very Ben Stein voice* "We believe in working from work and discourage working from home unless absolutely necessary."

We've been WFH since March of last year and projects have been consistently delivered on time while employee morale has been through the roof, so of course they've slated an end to WFH come July. An old manager of mine is hopeful that they might offer permanent WFH, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it happens.

The megacorp I work for rolled out three different surveys about if people wanted to continue working from home forever. The resounding majority of people just don't want to go back to being in the office full time. I think corporate was trying to get a different response over time because they own a lot of the real estate they occupy and have deals with the state/local governments around tax rates based on on-site employee numbers. The group I'm in basically worked remote all the time, it was usually just my manager and I in our actual office any given day, and his commute was 4 minutes while mine was at least an hour and a half; there hasn't been a ton that's changed besides me not being pissed at other drivers every day.

The last time we heard anything about return to work most people were saying 1 to 2 days in the office per week, and then only if important face-to-face meetings or customer visits happening. With the vaccine rolling out now I'm waiting to see what the final policy will be. My manager has a desk set aside for me if I want to come back, but he's said no one will be required to work on site if they don't want to.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Working from home loving rules because sometimes a job has downtime and not having to pretend to be busy has saved my mental health.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

My Lovely Horse posted:

My coworkers range from pleasant to toxic but I'm not really friends with them, to the extent I'd hang out outside of work.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think it's going to be hard for there not to be inequity between people who go to the office and get tons of face time and conversations with their bosses and those who work from home and get none of that.

It works right now because everyone is on equal footing for the most part.

That's true for some jobs where the manager should be in their role. My manager is nice but was shuffled into the position from another team and has zero clue about what we do, to the extent I have to explain basic tasks. Which owns in some ways as I have near zero supervision and can get my work done, but makes planning larger projects hard as no one above me knows what I'm talking about.

Inzombiac posted:

Working from home loving rules because sometimes a job has downtime and not having to pretend to be busy has saved my mental health.

For sure I like being able to run laundry, spoil the cat, or do dinner prep, and when I'm doing mindless work can have movies on. I'm getting my 40 work widgets done a week without needing to be in an office, everyone should be fine with that.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I have lost so much weight working from home, haha

I worked in a city with way too many good food options and spent way too much money and calories on lunches.

God drat do I miss spicy miso ramen with an extra marinated egg from my favorite place though, and their special black garlic ramen with a side of spicy paste to mix in. :smith:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Code Jockey posted:

I have lost so much weight working from home, haha

I worked in a city with way too many good food options and spent way too much money and calories on lunches.

God drat do I miss spicy miso ramen with an extra marinated egg from my favorite place though, and their special black garlic ramen with a side of spicy paste to mix in. :smith:

:stare:
That's exactly the same lunch I would get when I worked in an office.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am intensely interested in how they try to spin going back to the office because my job title minus near shore is already completely WFH if you're not traveling. Gonna be riots to try and put that back in the box.

I'll be going back in anyway because I live 5 minutes away and like the change in scenery.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Millenials : participation trophies :v: :: Boomers : being named "director" of something

Way too many directors. Youre on some technical project and none of the directors even understand it or its implications because
1) they shouldn't be a director
2) they are a director of some unrelated group and otherwise wouldnt have authority over this, but theyre a director
3) there shouldn't even be a director of that group in the first place
so they assert their legitimacy as director by changing some arbitrary thing that's moot to the project, but now you have to go back and revise and then get their approval again, by which time they all have forgotten their last req's because they were completely arbitrary in the first place. so they give you new arbitrary specs

People get so fed up with this that they go and create their own group, of which they are now director

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Inzombiac posted:

:stare:
That's exactly the same lunch I would get when I worked in an office.

Arashi Ramen near the Alderwood Mall in Tukwila, WA?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Trump administration?

That assumes they had any consequences.

Outrail posted:

How hard is it to have a 'security' cell phone with a gps tracker on it? Avenza is free and is granular enough to show movement from room to room. Talk about over complicating things

I'm tangentially involved in this area. The answer is: surprisingly so, more than you'd think, especially if you have indoor rooms and the building is noisy from certain construction materials.

chglcu posted:

I think some people are broken and think of coworkers as friends rather than just people who are paid to tolerate each other for 40 hours a week

I guess there's also the people who just have a really lovely setup for WFH due to having kids around and whatnot. Those I can at least understand, just wish they weren't so insistent about dragging the rest of us back with them.

Or, there's people like me who are just completely drowning due to a lack of routine, even though technically I can do everything from home. I'm having trouble getting up on time, signing in, doing things, staying focused, and so on. This is why I dragged myself info work all the time in the before times even though WFH was an option. My well being and my work performance have definitely suffered.

Turns out different people have different needs, and maybe some people actually want to have a structured space that is not their living room for a workplace???????????

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah same, I don't want to go back to a 5 day a week commute. But I like my colleagues, I like a half hour cycle in on two mornings a week, I like having the journey to switch on and off for the day rather than dragging myself straight from bed to laptop.

Plus it's so much more efficient because when you're in a client's office today and they know you're gone next week, they actually give you the information you need on time

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I learned Monday that we have a district boss. He's been here months, but no one ever mentioned him. He's never communicated with my branch and still hasn't. Somebody else mentioned him and I was "Who is this?"

He replaced previous District Boss. Previous DB didn't come around but for a few minutes every six months ago, but we knew he was there, in part because he liked to antagonize Local Boss just because he could.

Both Local Boss and District Boss "retired" last year. Local Boss had bragged that he was going to hang on until he was made redundant, so I have no doubt the retirement was on the verge of that. I'd assume the same of District Boss.

Good to know that new DB is carrying on the proud tradition of being as useful as armpits on a marble.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

What I've learned about my work by sometimes working from home for a year is that some weeks have about two hours of things to do per day, and some have nine - and I'm salaried with a nominal 8 hours/day (including the lunch, so 7.5 of work). Leaving work early for the day is easier when it means closing the citrix client.

This has been a long (and Working From Work) week, though. Dumb poo poo my work does: have a secure network with a WFH solution, but make it so hard to do non-routine work that the research groups use internal-only networks instead.

A couple of years back we had a literal letter-to-the-editor debate in a national newspaper over how stifling the security/privacy policies are, with tidbits like surgeons using their private phones to MMS pictures and questions to colleagues, because the P/P department had stifled any useful internal solution. Perfect is the enemy of good, and all that. Nothing of value has changed since then - and they still block github as a security risk on the researcher network.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

For once something not systems related, but people related instead:

how do you do data entry full time for 5+ years and still not understand ctrl-c/v
h o w
physically painful to watch

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SkyeAuroline posted:

how do you do data entry full time for 5+ years and still not understand ctrl-c/v
h o w

We had a long timer in another dept when a newer person asked them for a spreadsheet, took out a ruler and a blank piece of paper and began drawing lines.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We had a long timer in another dept when a newer person asked them for a spreadsheet, took out a ruler and a blank piece of paper and began drawing lines.

Honestly respect, but this is not a long timer, this is a late twenties new hire who cannot leave their own electronics alone so you'd think there would be understanding. Do Macs not have a copy shortcut or some poo poo?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's cmd c/v on a mac, so no excuse there.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Today was the end of my first week at a new job. I have now been paid for 4 weeks of work.

I reached out to HR 2 weeks ago when they accidentally paid me before I even started but it doesn't seem like they are in any hurry to fix this poo poo.

lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

SkyeAuroline posted:

h o w

*highlights texts*

*moves mouse up*

*clicks on edit*

*clicks on copy from the drop down menu*

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Batterypowered7 posted:

*highlights texts*

*moves mouse up*

*clicks on edit*

*clicks on copy from the drop down menu*

So you were watching them over my shoulder after all.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

*working in the terminal*

*highlight text*

"Heh, I know just highlighting copies the text.*

*proceed to ctrl + v instead of right clicking*

"gently caress"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Code Jockey posted:

Arashi Ramen near the Alderwood Mall in Tukwila, WA?

Haha, no, Portland.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Inzombiac posted:

Haha, no, Portland.

Ha, okay. Hell I'm just glad there are so many options for good ramen in the PNW!

Also my place had some absolutely to die for takoyaki.

... I'm gonna need to take a drive down there. The office is closed, but it's worth the drive just for that.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
My work is actually really good for the most part--so much so that I feel guilty even bitching after reading some of the absolute soul-destroying horror in this thread. I think once the COVID dust settles I'm going to be able to go in 2-3 days a week and continue to WFH the rest, which will be pretty much perfect because the gym is close to my office (and holy poo poo I miss it).

Dumb poo poo gripe of the day:

When you're added to an existing email thread, do you:
a) Read the thread to see exactly what's going on and what the details are?
b) Just poo poo out random questions (which have already been answered) based on reading the latest response?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

aas Bandit posted:

My work is actually really good for the most part--so much so that I feel guilty even bitching after reading some of the absolute soul-destroying horror in this thread. I think once the COVID dust settles I'm going to be able to go in 2-3 days a week and continue to WFH the rest, which will be pretty much perfect because the gym is close to my office (and holy poo poo I miss it).

Dumb poo poo gripe of the day:

When you're added to an existing email thread, do you:
a) Read the thread to see exactly what's going on and what the details are?
b) Just poo poo out random questions (which have already been answered) based on reading the latest response?
c) ignore it completely

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
d) attempt to seize control and make it about whatever thing you're working on instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Next week is my last week at my current job. I am still getting north of 200 emails a day, many of which are pleading with me "When will this project be finished?". I've started responding with an email that just says "That is a great question"