Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My group is starting Bolt Action so I picked up the Blitzkrieg starter. I’m no stranger to model building, but there are zero instructions to this thing when it comes to the infantry. I have two cavalry-ish bases with rounded corners and two 50mm rounds that I don’t see a place for. Are the snipers supposed to lay in the ovals? If so how do they see over stuff?

Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, it looks like it according to the website, as the bottom-right guy is showing.

It's a little fiddly when trying to move the model around but if you want I guess you could build the base up with some slate or something to give it some elevation.

Edit: and the rounds are for the LMG teams it looks like. Unless you got the starter army in which case the rounds are for the infantry gun artillery piece and the mortar team.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 11, 2021

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Does Bolt Action use true line of sight? If not then it doesn't really matter if the model is prone, you can just pretend he's looking over any fences or walls or whatever you put him behind.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Endman posted:

Does Bolt Action use true line of sight? If not then it doesn't really matter if the model is prone, you can just pretend he's looking over any fences or walls or whatever you put him behind.

I’ve never seen true line of sight used in historical games, so I would not sweat about prone minis. I have lots of prone weapon teams in my WW2 armies.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No, you look over your prone models in bolt action.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Perfect, thanks guys

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

My group is starting Bolt Action so I picked up the Blitzkrieg starter. I’m no stranger to model building, but there are zero instructions to this thing when it comes to the infantry. I have two cavalry-ish bases with rounded corners and two 50mm rounds that I don’t see a place for. Are the snipers supposed to lay in the ovals? If so how do they see over stuff?

Help?

I just built these, so if you run into any more issues just ask! Some people also like to use the prone guy for the LMG. (Me, I am that people).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean, the most likely to be prone warlord models are snipers and spotters, and having to use true line of sight would mean vastly reduced efficiency for those who need it the most.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Seems non-UK customers really should consider going for bulk orders only from Warlord now:

” EuroZone
Orders to the EU will be subject to a minimum order value of 50 EUR. Orders below this amount will not be able to be processed. A shipping fee of 24 EUR will be applied at checkout on all orders under 150 EUR. Orders of over 150 EUR will offer free courier shipping.

All orders between 50 EUR and 150 EUR will have the option to select a free box of one our best selling plastic sets during the checkout process to help offset the cost of shipping.

North America
Orders to NA will be subject to a minimum order value of $50.00 and orders below this amount will not be able to be processed. Additionally all orders between $50.00 and $150.00 will now be subject to a $25.00 shipping fee. Orders of over $150.00 will offer free courier shipping.

For orders of a value between $50.00 and $150.00 will now have the option to add one of a selection of our best selling plastics to an order of a value for free. This offer will be available as part of the checkout process.
Rest of the World
Orders to the Rest of the World will be subject to a minimum order value of £50.00. Orders for these regions below the minimum order value will not be able to be processed. All orders up to £150.00 will be subject to a £25.00 shipping fee. Orders of over £150.00 will offer free courier shipping.

During the checkout process, you will have the option of adding one of our best-selling plastic box sets to your order free of charge. This offer is designed to offset the shipping cost.”

Thanks a lot Boris Johnson!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm impressed that Brexit managed to gently caress non-EU shipping too.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Arquinsiel posted:

The tories are a special kind of incompetent, also its probably because we were working with EU trade agreements before so we had to make new ones all over for everyone which, like I said, tories are a special kind of incompetent

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

It’s a perfect storm. The pandemic has caused some kind of weird shipping crunch where shipping to and from China is booming, with other lanes being abandoned and container logistics are all hosed up. This led to shipping rates doubling, tripling or even more the last months. The pandemic situation is so bad that some ships don’t even load new cargo when coming from China to California, because it is more profitable to immediately go back instead of say, loading up with grains, which is loving up the US food trade to Asia. poo poo is weird and I had no idea, but I stumbled over it some weeks ago and couldn’t stop reading about it.

https://www.google.se/amp/s/financi...081206ccf2/amp/

https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.hellenicshippingnews.com/the-container-shortage-crisis/amp/

So all shipping is messed up right now, but UK is turbofucked as something like 40% of their exports disappeared overnight and few knowing how to do proper customs paperwork to the EU, which makes arranging shipping a terrible mess.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 12, 2021

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

And yet the pound is still like 1.40 to the dollar for some reason. Not gonna lie, was kind of hoping Brexit would crash the pound and make the exchange rate more equitable.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

My immense backlog will see me through these trying times.

Switching gears a bit and painting some feudal Japanese. They will be a gang of wako pirates that I can use for Test of Honour, Saga and maybe some other skirmish games. Super fiddly figures from Zenit, but superb details.

WIP, getting the bigger blocks done first and then I'll tackle the lacing and putting patterns on the cloth parts.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I was looking at previews for Stargrave today (the upcoming Sci-Fi version of Frostgrave) when I saw this picture.

Computer, enhance.

"We were somewhere around Alpha Centauri, on the edge of the system, when the drugs began to take hold."

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
It's my local post that are actual money-grubbing bastards. Under 100 euros it's a flat 24 euros fee for handling and adding vat. This led to the hilarious situation of something of a 30 euro order costing 60 in total or so. In Germany it's only 6 for handling I believe, so it's also euro customs, with the added benefit of local handling being pretty arbitrary.

But I'm also just going to finish the backlog and shopping eu from now on. I wanted to send a goon some sprues and other stuff, 36 standard shipping (before it would have been 10 euros at most) and filling out some customs forms. It's hosed. And I hope the smaller companies somehow can survive.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I just placed an order today from Warlord. They charged me $14 for courier shipping.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I did a late pledge for the March to Hell: Rome set of 3D printing files since it should be everything I need to build both sides for a Boudica campaign. Really happy with the quality of these prints for 15mm! I can crank out about 1 of those 40x15mm infantry stands every couple hours, which sure as hell is faster than I'll be able to paint them. I even threw together a movement tray in TinkerCAD

I feel like I'm living in the future

Edit-- leaning toward Hail Caesar since it seems to be the most popular ancients system that isn't DBA

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 12, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Grab Dux Bellorum from Osprey too. Your Romans won't be quite right for their Sub-Roman British, but with a little bit of shenanigans you can probably build usable armies for it out of the two armies you are making for Hail Caesar.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
It's even 30% off with the march sale. I got my (amazon) copy last week, but haven't had time to read it yet.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I did a late pledge for the March to Hell: Rome set of 3D printing files...

Their site says they scale up to 28mm, have you tried once at that size, and if so are the proportions wonky?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

lilljonas posted:

Rest of the World
Orders to the Rest of the World will be subject to a minimum order value of £50.00. Orders for these regions below the minimum order value will not be able to be processed. All orders up to £150.00 will be subject to a £25.00 shipping fee. Orders of over £150.00 will offer free courier shipping.

During the checkout process, you will have the option of adding one of our best-selling plastic box sets to your order free of charge. This offer is designed to offset the shipping cost.”

This is presumably going to change how much other online stores sell this for I guess? Also, how wide is the choice to get the "free but you're paying a lot more for shipping" box?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wondering if anyone can recommend a decent squad level modern? Something less wispy washy than Force on Force or Spectre Ops.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What it is about those that you don't like so that we can guide you in different directions?

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Empress 100%

Edit: woops, thought you meant minis. Though Empress does have a one page ruleset. D20 based, and it manages to be both simple and fiddly at the same time.

Wowshawk fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 13, 2021

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Cassa posted:

Wondering if anyone can recommend a decent squad level modern? Something less wispy washy than Force on Force or Spectre Ops.

There's No End In Sight which has all the pros and cons of nordic weasel games. For a wildcard choice I like Combat Patrol, there's a cold war supplement for it that's free on the website if you want to look it over. Both of these are platoon level games but have abstraction and detail rules which would fit single squad action if you wanted to keep it small. You could also just use Black Ops, as that would be fast with the option to run a players vs game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Springfield Fatts posted:

Their site says they scale up to 28mm, have you tried once at that size, and if so are the proportions wonky?

As far as I can tell the proportions are all the same, it's an exact 1:1 scaling. The downloads have both 15 and 28 versions in each zip file

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
At least the WW2 March to Hell I'd never do in 28mm unless I wanted an army that was on part with Worms 3D in realism.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The feeling when you realize you've committed yourself to an army where pretty much every piece of cloth will have a freehand pattern:

This'll end up awesome, I can feel it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Holy poo poo

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Class Warcraft posted:

And yet the pound is still like 1.40 to the dollar for some reason. Not gonna lie, was kind of hoping Brexit would crash the pound and make the exchange rate more equitable.

Its been pre crashed since 2016, then we ended up NOT crashing out with no deal so people's worst hopes weren't realised and I'm not living off rat onna stick without ketchup sorry if this makes your mans more expensive :shrug:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

perfidious albion strikes again

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

At least the WW2 March to Hell I'd never do in 28mm unless I wanted an army that was on part with Worms 3D in realism.

Yeah that's why I was asking if they'd look wonky. Dunno, an entire force of that would be memorable at least.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

What it is about those that you don't like so that we can guide you in different directions?

Basically I want something as tight and dynamic as Infinity.

Force on Force is fine but the reactive fire is just too much, and like Spectre Operations it feels like there's too many variables to account for to make it any fun as a pickup game.

I'd be down for them at like a games day with a big preset mission all setup.

What I'm looking for is something that doesn't expect me to put the finish on their product.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Still have to finish putting the shields on, but a unit of legionnaires, a leader, all the bases and the movement tray isn't bad for an afternoon of printing.

I was worries 3 ranks wouldn't look full enough but I'm pretty happy with that.

And yeah, I think these sculpts would look wonky in 28mm but I think they're decent in 15mm

Next up is printing a bunch of Celts with their dicks out

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 14, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Still have to finish putting the shields on, but a unit of legionnaires, a leader, all the bases and the movement tray isn't bad for an afternoon of printing.

I was worries 3 ranks wouldn't look full enough but I'm pretty happy with that.

And yeah, I think these sculpts would look wonky in 28mm but I think they're decent in 15mm

Next up is printing a bunch of Celts with their dicks out

At 15mm I think the kinda cartoonish proportions work fine and should make them easier to paint.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lilljonas posted:

At 15mm I think the kinda cartoonish proportions work fine and should make them easier to paint.

Exactly. I think exaggerating the features works best at small scales, but it would look odd at 28mm.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Seeing those and anycubic having a sale has convinced me to finally pull the trigger on a printer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cassa posted:

Basically I want something as tight and dynamic as Infinity.

Force on Force is fine but the reactive fire is just too much, and like Spectre Operations it feels like there's too many variables to account for to make it any fun as a pickup game.

I'd be down for them at like a games day with a big preset mission all setup.

What I'm looking for is something that doesn't expect me to put the finish on their product.
Funnily enough that's the exact complaint I had with Infinity back in 2nd edition - too many variables.

Osprey's Black Ops might be a little bit more "your and my guys turn up and fight", but TBH I didn't find the unit activation particularly good. Skirmish Sangin provoked a similar reaction to Infinity for me, in that I got bored and stopped reading the rulebook, but I didn't have anyone handy to teach me the game "live" so that died. Oscar Sierra Charlie (OSC: Part 1 Skirmish :negative:) seems to have died a death. I'm not sure if "Part 2 Vehicles" even exists yet, because their website is 500'ing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Does anyone have a preferred US-based online store for war games stuff? I ordered from one of the ones listed in the OP a few times, but they've since gone out of business.