Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Which of the Celtic tribes would you say are the strongest/easiest? Dumnonia and Brigantia are fun, but the British isles are so sparsely inhabited that I think being isolated is making things harder rather than easier in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I wanna play as Aemilius Paulus, Hannibal, and Alexander, not as Maurice of Nassau.

Wasn't Hannibal unable to successfully besiege Rome or other Roman cities?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jabarto posted:

Which of the Celtic tribes would you say are the strongest/easiest? Dumnonia and Brigantia are fun, but the British isles are so sparsely inhabited that I think being isolated is making things harder rather than easier in the long run.

Almost certainly Arvernia, you're going to have to deal with Rome eventually anyway and being a federated tribe is a massive advantage - you have a much easier time civilising than a migratory tribe while still getting a huge levy size bonus, and your matching government bonus gives an extra 20% tribesmen output. They also have really good cultural levies (40% archers, 35% HI and the rest is cav + chariots).

The alternative is just staying on Britannia since I don't think the Rome AI will ever get that far, it prefers to go east over north in 2.0

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I haven't tried them in the new patch but Insubria used to be fun.

You'll, uh, need to go south fast, though. :laugh:

e: Actually, if you want a challenge run, try going migratory as one of the Pannonian Gaulish tribes and forming Galatia the historical way.

e2: "A challenge run" is the exact opposite of what you asked for but that specific play has been on my mind a lot recently.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 12, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

White Coke posted:

Wasn't Hannibal unable to successfully besiege Rome or other Roman cities?

Hannibal never attempted it but probably because he didn't have the supply train to stay encamped so close to the enemy while they actively had armies harassing. I've seen it said that Hannibals lack of siege weapons resulted in him not being able to take the city, but he never really displayed a desire to. His occupation efforts were chiefly concerning supply - usually ports like Capua. He had access to Greek engineers after large parts of Magna Graecia defected, plenty of money to pay them (the Barca's silver mines is what allowed them to raise their large mercenary army), and he spent like 15 years in Italy, so no shortage of time either. The truth is that he always pursued decisive battle with the Romans in the hope that he could continue to convince the socii to defect.

When the Romans went to Africa too, they sieged and assaulted Utica again only for a supply port. They didn't lay siege to any other cities, only desiring to destroy the Carthaginian army in front of the senate so they could force a peace deal.

I guess my point is that in this era, the mindset of generals was to defeat the enemy in pitched battle to win the war. This is unlike most of EU4's era where capturing strategic, fortified locations was the prime consideration.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It should be said cities changing hands happened a lot. Most summaries don’t talk about it because it happened so much it would get tedious and in the end it didn’t really matter

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hannibal never attempted it but probably because he didn't have the supply train to stay encamped so close to the enemy while they actively had armies harassing. I've seen it said that Hannibals lack of siege weapons resulted in him not being able to take the city, but he never really displayed a desire to. His occupation efforts were chiefly concerning supply - usually ports like Capua. He had access to Greek engineers after large parts of Magna Graecia defected, plenty of money to pay them (the Barca's silver mines is what allowed them to raise their large mercenary army), and he spent like 15 years in Italy, so no shortage of time either. The truth is that he always pursued decisive battle with the Romans in the hope that he could continue to convince the socii to defect.

When the Romans went to Africa too, they sieged and assaulted Utica again only for a supply port. They didn't lay siege to any other cities, only desiring to destroy the Carthaginian army in front of the senate so they could force a peace deal.

I guess my point is that in this era, the mindset of generals was to defeat the enemy in pitched battle to win the war. This is unlike most of EU4's era where capturing strategic, fortified locations was the prime consideration.

Sure, but there are plenty of famous/significant sieges as well: Alexander at Tyre, Demetrios at Rhodes, Alesia, Masada, the conquest of Dacia, Syrakuse, the Tartar Ditch, many different sieges of Spanish tribes, etc etc. And of course the Romans are famous for their fortifications.

I mean this is apart from the game mechanic of forts, although in general I think I'm positive on it in imperator. AI should probably build more.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, again, I'm not saying sieges were unimportant in this time period. I'm saying that EU4 style mechanics encourages EYW-esque wars where I can win without ever facing the enemy. I just think epic fortifications like at Rhodes, Syracuse, etc. should be rarer and not every drat siege, and that battles should give more warscore

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The warscore from battle system is actually totally hosed in Imperator, it's based entirely on what percentage casualties the winning army inflicts on the losing one, on a per-battle basis. So stackwiping 2k enemies is worth more than fighting an epic pitched battle where you're outnumbered 2:1 but just barely win.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I haven't tried them in the new patch but Insubria used to be fun.

You'll, uh, need to go south fast, though. :laugh:

e: Actually, if you want a challenge run, try going migratory as one of the Pannonian Gaulish tribes and forming Galatia the historical way.

e2: "A challenge run" is the exact opposite of what you asked for but that specific play has been on my mind a lot recently.

Honestly so have I. I've always found the Galatians fascinating historically, and I love playing games where I can migrate and settle in a totally new area.

I'm just not sure what a 50-pop barbarian tribe is supposed to do against the Antigonids.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah, again, I'm not saying sieges were unimportant in this time period. I'm saying that EU4 style mechanics encourages EYW-esque wars where I can win without ever facing the enemy. I just think epic fortifications like at Rhodes, Syracuse, etc. should be rarer and not every drat siege, and that battles should give more warscore

what does EYW stand for?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sorry, eighty years war

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jabarto posted:

Honestly so have I. I've always found the Galatians fascinating historically, and I love playing games where I can migrate and settle in a totally new area.

I'm just not sure what a 50-pop barbarian tribe is supposed to do against the Antigonids.

The scripting pretty heavily biases the Antigonids to collapse after the death of Antigonus now, which will probably leave Asia Minor more vulnerable. Then... ok, so, I haven't tested any of this, but there's a couple of cool things that migrations can do that I think might let you grab the land without having to fight much of a war.

I think the strat looks something like:

• Expand normally
  • Reduce centralisation & switch to migratory tribe
  • Shift pops around so all your territories are eligible to migrate

When Asia Minor goes to pot:

• Migrate
  • Walk several hundred pops worth of migratory cohorts all the way to Galatia
  • Spread your stacks out like you're carpet sieging
  • Raze/Pillage with every stack to provoke a war
  • As soon as your stacks capture the territory they're on, settle them
  • Immediately raise levies

Best case scenario, half the enemy country will be yours before they can even raise their levies. Might also want to build up a merc fund and ally, say, Macedon.

Big problem of course is that migratory cohorts are always LI, and LI suck hard.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Pretty sure I’m trying that after I finish this BK game. Do any of the tribes have cool unique stuff like the Euxinos missions? Those were really fun and gave me a hundred plus years of interesting goals. I don’t have any DLC but I’ve played enough now that I’ll probably buy some, especially if tribes have any

Looks like they don’t. I don’t have a burning desire to play as the diodochi or particularly close to rome so I’ll get everything on a sale.

a fatguy baldspot fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 13, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is there a good tutorial to watch since apparently this is good now?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Most of the tutorials I've seen aren't very comprehensive but Paradox has some tutorial videos on their one of their Youtube channels which give a decent overview

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

My current game had an exciting set of events where the Seleucids conquered all of Syria and Egypt down to just east of Alexandria, but the Antigonids somehow survived, annexed both Thrace and Macedon, and took all of Egypt's Greek territory plus Cyprus. So the entire East is split into two massive, stable blobs with a tiny defensible border between them along the Nur Mountains. It's by far the most stable Diadochi setup I've seen though I expect Egypt to fold if one of the others goes at them seriously.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ports being buildable kinda fucks with me, since I feel pressured to also build a fort along with them in order to mitigate pirates. I feel like destroying the vast majority of ports and just concentrating them in key cities/areas for naval build-up is the smart way to do things, particularly because ports don't seem to really give good bonuses anyway and are just there to help facilitate naval poo poo.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does the manpower mechanic and pop types interact with how many levies are in a province?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Baron Porkface posted:

Does the manpower mechanic and pop types interact with how many levies are in a province?

Manpower no, pop culture yes. I think

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I think they said a pop's social strata would play into it during the dev diaries but that doesn't seem to have made it into the game (aside from slaves not being eligible, of course).

So one thing I'm finding out is that population really doesn't increase much over the course of the game? Even if you go completely nuts stacking pop growth modifiers it takes 30-50 for a single pop to form, and a lot of pops can die during wars from enslavement and levies getting obliterated. Is there any way to populate a relatively sparse region even if it takes a while?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jabarto posted:

I think they said a pop's social strata would play into it during the dev diaries but that doesn't seem to have made it into the game (aside from slaves not being eligible, of course).

They've not clarified whether this is bugged or not, frustratingly. They said the levy calc was bugged, but didn't say how it was bugged... then fixed it in 2.02, without touching the class part... but it's still bugged, so we still can't draw any definitive conclusions.

I figure it probably got cut, but it'd be nice to have an explicit breakdown of how it's supposed to work.

Jabarto posted:

So one thing I'm finding out is that population really doesn't increase much over the course of the game? Even if you go completely nuts stacking pop growth modifiers it takes 30-50 for a single pop to form, and a lot of pops can die during wars from enslavement and levies getting obliterated. Is there any way to populate a relatively sparse region even if it takes a while?

Slaving. Lots and lots of slaving. If you keep sacking cities your capital region will end up nice and fat eventually.

Migration helps too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It is definitely possible to have levies where you don't get the higher tier units because you have very few citizens or nobles (most noticable with tribes) but the system doesn't quite work how I think most people were expecting where you could continually improve the quality of your levies by increasing your numbers of citizens and nobles.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

It is definitely possible to have levies where you don't get the higher tier units because you have very few citizens or nobles (most noticable with tribes) but the system doesn't quite work how I think most people were expecting where you could continually improve the quality of your levies by increasing your numbers of citizens and nobles.

It's not just that, I've been having scads of elephant levies show up in regions which are almost 100% Gaulish. Post-2.0.2

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How do you, or can you, divorce spouses? Antiochus I had no children so when his slightly younger brother died shortly after he did it forced me to put everything on hold while I re-stabilize the empire. I'm also at risk of losing the bloodline trait since no one in the family wants to get married, and I can't make them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

White Coke posted:

How do you, or can you, divorce spouses? Antiochus I had no children so when his slightly younger brother died shortly after he did it forced me to put everything on hold while I re-stabilize the empire. I'm also at risk of losing the bloodline trait since no one in the family wants to get married, and I can't make them.

Not sure if there's a divorce option but you might be able to set your spouse as rival and assassinate her?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah gently caress, I spent 2 innovations on a bad path that went to a node I've already unlocked. Wish I could edit the save but Imperator seems to have a significantly more obtuse savegame format, at least when it comes to inventions.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Ah gently caress, I spent 2 innovations on a bad path that went to a node I've already unlocked. Wish I could edit the save but Imperator seems to have a significantly more obtuse savegame format, at least when it comes to inventions.

Load the game in debug mode (it's a steam runtime option) and then save, it saves the game uncompressed which you can edit like most other Paradox game saves

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

It's not just that, I've been having scads of elephant levies show up in regions which are almost 100% Gaulish. Post-2.0.2

That just sounds like something is still broken :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah, I've done the debug mode stuff, I mean that apparently the game stores whatever inventions you have unlocked in a giant fuckoff 1s and 0s array instead of tying a specific invention to a tag. Hence, the obtuseness

Also apropos of nothing but I've noticed that slave estates seem to be complete dogshit, unless this UI mod I'm using isn't showing that it also reduces slaves needed per trade good (if it actually does that). I spent like 8k building slave estates everywhere I couldn't put down a farm or mine, and my gold income increased by a measly 3 or some nonsense. Absolute trash. Think I'll just learn how to to live with unoptimized city placement and stack slaves in them if I want real tax income, though commercial income is just too powerful even then

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 16, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The one thing slave estates are good for is eking a little extra food out of a province that doesn’t make enough and can’t import more

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Also apropos of nothing but I've noticed that slave estates seem to be complete dogshit, unless this UI mod I'm using isn't showing that it also reduces slaves needed per trade good (if it actually does that). I spent like 8k building slave estates everywhere I couldn't put down a farm or mine, and my gold income increased by a measly 3 or some nonsense. Absolute trash. Think I'll just learn how to to live with unoptimized city placement and stack slaves in them if I want real tax income, though commercial income is just too powerful even then

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The output/civ bonus on Slave Estates is worth 0.00525g per month per slave, by the way. 0.063 per year. At 200g, that's 3175 slave years to break even. A plains settlement with max population will have about 14 slaves in it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to build farms and mines everywhere you can and found cities everywhere you can't but idk maybe it's also not good to build so many cities

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

There are bloodlines in this game??

White Coke
May 29, 2015

a fatguy baldspot posted:

The Argeads, Aiakids, and each of the Diadochi have them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Only for the Diadochi, Alexander the Great's family, and I think they added an Epirote bloodline as well. They should at least have an Achemenid and Maurya bloodline as well.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do i enforce white peace?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

A small hotfix patch just dropped, it doesn't fix the annoying nonexistent prisoners bug but it does fix reversed river crossings and provincial capitals getting incorrectly moved around

Paradox thread

Also I'd like to take the opportunity to recommend this small mod which adds some more military traditions and heritages to parts of the map which currently lack them, in particular the greater Illyria / Dacia / Scythia regions, it makes it a bit more fun trying out different tribes when they're not all quite so similar to one another. It's nothing which doesn't fit in with the rest of the unmodded game design and it "fixes" the particular weirdness of Dacians fighting with Phalanx tactics.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 17, 2021

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

toasterwarrior posted:

It doesn't reduce the slave count for goods, so it's +30% production for slaves and that is mere +0.005 gold/month from each slave there.
50% food is the more important bonus because it helps feed the cities of the province, but that shouldn't be a problem unless you made too many territories into cities, up to 3 usually have no food issues anyway.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

If you have enough influence to make more than one city per province you’re expanding too slowly :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i need to stockpile the influence to keep my governor and legates from causing a civil war tho

I will admit that getting rid of an annoying governor by intentionally botching a trial so the kick off their attempt at power while my cohorts are ready to strike is satisfying tho