Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1314889426414301191

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mental imagery: how strong is it for others? For example, let's say I ask you to imagine a green pig hula-hooping on top of a speeding Lamborghini. Which of these is true for you:

1. You can hold the concept in your mind as an intellectual exercise but there's no visual representation either in your mind or visual field

2. Same as 1 but you can kind of form a visual representation in your mind, or at least the idea of a visual representation

3. The concept is clearly represented in your mind as an actual image you can mentally "look" at

4. You can weakly see it in your visual field, overlaid on reality

5. You can strongly see it in your visual field, it looks nearly as concrete as the real world

I'm in between category 1 and 2 and it's hard to believe that people in category 4 and 5 exist but I guess they do? For anyone in those categories, is that description literally the case? It's not metaphorical "seeing", you can actually see it?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 12, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

His standing like that is certainly partly obesity, bur he's also essentially wearing high heels because he's so concerned with his height. Remember the incident where he nearly fell down a gently sloping ramp?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

regulargonzalez posted:

Mental imagery: how strong is it for others? For example, let's say I ask you to imagine a green pig hula-hooping on top of a speeding Lamborghini. Which of these is true for you:

I would say that I can look at the image, but it’s not as vivid as whatever I’m actually looking at, or memories or dreams.

The details don’t exist before I consider them. It’s a mustard yellow Murcielago and a cartoon pig. The Hula Hoop is pink. I couldn’t take a snapshot of the scene tell you what the wheels looked like before I thought about them just now and they got dark hubcaps and big white text on the tires.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

1. You can hold the concept in your mind as an intellectual exercise but there's no visual representation either in your mind or visual field

2. Same as 1 but you can kind of form a visual representation in your mind, or at least the idea of a visual representation

3. The concept is clearly represented in your mind as an actual image you can mentally "look" at

5. You can strongly see it in your visual field, it looks nearly as concrete as the real world

I'm in between category 1 and 2 and it's hard to believe that people in category 4 and 5 exist but I guess they do? For anyone in those categories, is that description literally the case? It's not metaphorical "seeing", you can actually see it?

Platystemon posted:

I would say that I can look at the image, but it’s not as vivid as whatever I’m actually looking at, or memories or dreams.

The details don’t exist before I consider them. It’s a mustard yellow Murcielago and a cartoon pig. The Hula Hoop is pink. I couldn’t take a snapshot of the scene tell you what the wheels looked like before I thought about them just now and they got dark hubcaps and big white text on the tires.

It's basically this for me. I'm solidly a 3. I can kind of force a 4 if I really focus, but it's honestly less entertaining than seeing in imagination.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Somewhere between a 2 and a 3 for me. I can form an image of something and look at it, but I can't hold on to it for any length of time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

i guess im in between 3 and 4?

i can form a strong visual representation, and i can overlay it on top of reality such that it feels like i am actually "seeing" it, but it's certainly not as concrete as anything real.

it requires a lot of focus to maintain the image if it's something complex, but if it's something really simple like a number or letter or basic shape it doesn't take much effort to have it just sort of floating on top of everything

i do have a weakness where my own mental images can easily be "overriden". like when i read a book i usually have a very strong picture of the characters but if any of those characters have been previously cast in a movie by a famous actor, and i'm aware of this, my own imagery can be replaced by the actor. this, for example, completely ruined the book "the russia house" for me because i could not stop picturing/hearing sean connery in my head when i read the book

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

regulargonzalez posted:

Mental imagery: how strong is it for others?
Maybe this is where you started, but I'd recommend reading articles/discussions about aphantasia. And if you want to poll goons in particular, maybe start a separate thread?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

On a walk yesterday I noticed that at least like 3/4 of the cars I saw parked or driving down my street were either white, silver, black, or grey blue.

Are the colors cars are available in more limited now than they used to be? I haven’t gone shopping for a car since 2009 (and even then I got a white one).

This bothers me too, it's super boring and also it's much harder to find your (friend's) car when it's the same colour as every other car.

I have previously asked three recent car buyers why the hell they picked a grey car, and the answer was "it was in stock, and I didn't want to wait". So I guess that's a large part of the answer. And all things considered, it makes sense to only stock the most common colours and get the rest on back order I guess.

It's also hard to find a bike in a fun colour, and those are much easier to misplace. And also generic black bikes are more likely to be stolen because they're less conspicuous at a "used" bike seller.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

BonHair posted:

It's also hard to find a bike in a fun colour, and those are much easier to misplace. And also generic black bikes are more likely to be stolen because they're less conspicuous at a "used" bike seller.

I love my Harley, it was my father’s and I got it when he died, but I hate that it’s all black. I’m afraid it’s harder to see in twilight/nighttime.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I love my Harley, it was my father’s and I got it when he died, but I hate that it’s all black. I’m afraid it’s harder to see in twilight/nighttime.

Turn on your lights. Also install more lights. Also wear more colour.

I was talking about non-motorized bikes though, I don't know if motorbikes aren't actually more colorful because a large buyer segment is idiot men wanting to show off.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Car insurance takes colour into account. Depends on the car, but it can be cheaper to go with a common colour.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

BonHair posted:

I was talking about non-motorized bikes though, I don't know if motorbikes aren't actually more colorful because a large buyer segment is idiot men wanting to show off.

Ah, my bad. Yeah the lights on and reflective gear are easy and obvious, but installing more lights, like around the bottom of the motorcycle, isn’t legal everywhere. When I got my class M license my state had just allowed them though that was about a decade ago.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cars of unusual or bright colors attract attention, including from thieves and cops. most people want to avoid both

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Car insurance takes colour into account. Depends on the car, but it can be cheaper to go with a common colour.

CNBC posted:

Insurance companies will consider a myriad of factors in rate calculations, but color is not one of them.

"Color has nothing to do with rates," Loretta Worters, vice president of communications for the Insurance Information Institute, told CNBC. "I guess that myth just keeps perpetuating."

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I bought my car in white, for the fuel efficiency - as it reflects all wavelengths of light, you don't have to worry about any being absorbed and slowing you down.

This may help explain why it's become more popular. Red can be explained similarly.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Earwicker posted:

cars of unusual or bright colors make you look like a douchebag

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ask any ork and they'll tell you the red ones go faster too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My understanding is that it's mostly a fashion thing. That is, most people don't feel particularly strongly about the color of their car, and it's cheaper for manufacturers to offer fewer colors, so neutral/muted colors predominate. If you really want something different, you get it as an aftermarket modification.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
is there a yoyo/kendama/general skill toy thread around?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

nishi koichi posted:

is there a yoyo/kendama/general skill toy thread around?

I think the answer might be "not anymore". I vaguely recall a juggling etc. thread years ago that died pretty quick.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I am trying to make better use of the space in my apartment, and the best way to do that is to get a couch with locking wheels/casters which I can flip around and use with the TV screen. All I see are couches with those lovely little decorative casters that are barely likely to work and also will definitely scratch up my floors. What should I be looking for?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

regulargonzalez posted:

0. When asked to imagine something, I don't actually do anything because there's literally nothing I can do. If you later ask me what animal I'm imagining I'll say "a green pig" because I can remember the words you said.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

No idea if this is what inspired the question, but it sounds like what you are describing is the concept of a visuospatial sketchpad, which is an aspect of modern psychology's model of working memory.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh that's interesting. Well my driver's ed instructor was kind of a dick anyways, figures he was talking out of his rear end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I am trying to make better use of the space in my apartment, and the best way to do that is to get a couch with locking wheels/casters which I can flip around and use with the TV screen. All I see are couches with those lovely little decorative casters that are barely likely to work and also will definitely scratch up my floors. What should I be looking for?

Rather than limiting your couch options by getting one with built‐in wheels, you could buy casters separately and screw them on. This may raise the couch to a height that is less comfortable. Depending on the couch’s construction, you may be able to work around that, e.g. by using them in place of screw‐on feet that come with the couch.

If you otherwise like a model with lovely decorative casters, you could replace them with better casters.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 13, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

BonHair posted:

I have previously asked three recent car buyers why the hell they picked a grey car, and the answer was "it was in stock, and I didn't want to wait". So I guess that's a large part of the answer. And all things considered, it makes sense to only stock the most common colours and get the rest on back order I guess.
For us, we wanted an interesting color but we also wanted a particular set of options and when push came to shove we ended up with a grey SUV.

Also, the color options nowadays are usually white, black, grey, silver, tan and then one dark color and one bright color. If you don’t like the bright color they chose this year, all the options are boring.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It’s also hard to get the color you want. We got a blue Honda Fit and they had to call around and get it sent from several states away. We could have left the showroom with a silver one, but that was the only color they had at the time.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Oh that's interesting. Well my driver's ed instructor was kind of a dick anyways, figures he was talking out of his rear end.

I was saying the same thing until six months ago- it really is pervasive.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why does the Maillard reaction occur much more readily on a stainless steel / cast iron pan, compared to on a nonstick pan? I just made some smashburgers, and the crust that formed when I used a stainless steel pan was a thing of beauty. I threw a patty on the nonstick pan just to see if it would turn out the same and, no dice. Even with the same heat and pan thickness, the one on the nonstick pan had a pitiful crust whilst the one I made in the stainless steel was crispy. To disprove the "stainless steel pan probably has more heat capacity because it's thicker" the stainless steel pan I used was the exact same as my nonstick one, except the nonstick had been scrubbed off over years of use.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What kind of bit is this guy using in his dremel in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h9Ei9sMJ8w&t=87s

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My mom wants me to invest into a 529A Account on account of my qualifications for it (autism). Is this wise?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

My mom wants me to invest into a 529A Account on account of my qualifications for it (autism). Is this wise?

I'm not familiar with this account type, but a quick googling turned up this page, and particularly this quote: "Money can be withdrawn tax-free when the funds are used to pay for qualified disability expenses." It sounds like the utility of such an account is going to depend heavily on how much you anticipate spending on disability-related expenses. That's not something I can judge for you.

In general though, go ask the BFC Newbies Thread if you want investment advice.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

has anyone here sold their high school or college class ring? I'm digging through some old stuff and I came across it.

this is one of the first ones that came up in my search

https://www.redollar.com/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not familiar with this account type, but a quick googling turned up this page, and particularly this quote: "Money can be withdrawn tax-free when the funds are used to pay for qualified disability expenses." It sounds like the utility of such an account is going to depend heavily on how much you anticipate spending on disability-related expenses. That's not something I can judge for you.

In general though, go ask the BFC Newbies Thread if you want investment advice.

What kind of qualified expenses could autism even justify? I'm legitimately curious, it's not like you can buy a pair of glasses that tell you that you're uncomfortable. I guess therapy maybe? The last psychiatrist I spoke to even mentioned that there were no anti autism drugs.

But also lol, anime wall scrolls and so forth.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

That's an old and widespread urban legend in the U.S., usually applied to red cars, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. A quick google brings up a lot of articles about how it isn't true, and that most places don't even ask for the color when you get a quote, but I know I've heard it my entire life.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

BonHair posted:

What kind of qualified expenses could autism even justify? I'm legitimately curious, it's not like you can buy a pair of glasses that tell you that you're uncomfortable. I guess therapy maybe? The last psychiatrist I spoke to even mentioned that there were no anti autism drugs.

Hopefully sensory regulation things (weighted blankets, ear defenders, fidget toys), or maybe for paying for a carer?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Qubee posted:

Why does the Maillard reaction occur much more readily on a stainless steel / cast iron pan, compared to on a nonstick pan? I just made some smashburgers, and the crust that formed when I used a stainless steel pan was a thing of beauty. I threw a patty on the nonstick pan just to see if it would turn out the same and, no dice. Even with the same heat and pan thickness, the one on the nonstick pan had a pitiful crust whilst the one I made in the stainless steel was crispy. To disprove the "stainless steel pan probably has more heat capacity because it's thicker" the stainless steel pan I used was the exact same as my nonstick one, except the nonstick had been scrubbed off over years of use.

It's less "thickness" and more material. You could make a pan out of cardboard that was as thick as steel, and it would not cook food the same way. Stainless steel and cast iron are generally going to be heavier than a non-stick pan, which is usually going to be made with aluminum or sometimes ceramic depending on manufacturer. There are some makes that will take a disc of some metal and wrap that in aluminum (I might have that backwards), and then paint the non-stick coating over that. But a piece of aluminum cannot hold on to heat as well as a piece of iron or steel the same shape, and size.

In addition to that, you can safely put a steel or iron pan over high heat and be OK, where as putting a non-stick pan over high heat can burn off some non-stick coatings, and that can cause some toxins to become airborne. Also, I would not use any pan where the non-stick coating had been "scrubbed off". If that has come off, it's getting into your food, and it is not safe to eat.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

There are no specifically anti-autism drugs, so to speak, but certain things that autism can cause are medicated for at times. My son had severe self-harming stims when he was younger, and was on medication to try to curb that behavior, as he was a legitimate danger to himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Some people with autism need adaptive communication technology as well.