Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Thanks to my team being spread across the entire country I occasionally end up with solid meetings from ten till two. Those are easy to plan around: you either eat a late breakfast or you prepare lunch ahead of time. What's infuriating is when you have a meeting from ten to eleven and another from twelve to one, and then some shitbird tries to schedule something between the two at like 9:45. No, gently caress you, I'm not attending.

KillHour posted:

If your calendar has a free spot in it, someone will fill it. Block out your lunch as busy.

Recruiting would often slam an interview on my calendar in the middle of my lunch, or "early in the day for engineers commuting, but not too early for normal people" (like, 9:30am) with no warning. I started putting a 12-12:30 block of "lunch" on my schedule and putting my morning gym sessions in as well.

Our team uses an app called Clockwise where you can say "I want 10 hours of focus time a week and a 30 min lunch generally at 12 every day" and it will move other appointments and recurrings around to give everyone on the team as much unbroken time to focus as possible". If someone schedules somethign at 12, that's fine, it will just shift my lunch a bit - likewise if it someone puts something in my focus time it will move it to the beginning/end of it if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

RoboBoogie posted:

How bad was the deployment?

It wasn't really that bad.

We came from an AS/400 system that had been in use for...20 years? So taking people from a keyboard-based console interface to a mouse-driven, web-based GUI was a struggle.

"I enter a payment by hitting #5, #2, F12, tab tab tab..."

That's way faster since the interface has about zero lag and they have the keystrokes in muscle memory. Now they have to move the mouse over to Customers, then Payments, then pick the customer, blah blah.

It also didn't help that the existing data was absolute poo poo. Multiple versions of the same customer, some had to be merged because one department uses one and another uses the other record with the same name. * in a customer name means they are disabled, x means something else, but those also mean other things to different people.

They also pushed for re-creating the old system in Netsuite since you can 'customize it'. Bad, bad idea. Just change the way you do things to fit the new system, not the other way around. They also did goofy poo poo like created invoices for negative numbers instead of doing a credit memo.

Everyone hated it for the first year, and then everyone that mattered, loved it. Handful of end-users still hated it but oh well.

The other problem was things that weren't included or the included version was poo poo. Like taxes, credit cards, e-commerce, check printing, ACH....So we ended up spending more money on those things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

klosterdev posted:

M365 lets you limit who can create a Team, but you have to be subscribed to Azure AD Premium to get it, despite a mess of random user-created Teams being an equilibrium of their own creation

You can also set them to expire by default, which is hella fun.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

shoutouts
to this coworker
who seems to be
unable
to form
a coherent thought
using more than five words

The year is 2021 and you now have a way to raise my blood pressure from 2500 miles away by pressing the enter key on your keyboard

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

shoutouts
to this coworker
who seems to be
unable
to form
a coherent thought

The year is 2021 and you now have a way to raise my blood pressure from 2500 miles away by pressing the enter key on your keyboard

I’m in this post and I dont like it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Naramyth posted:

I’m in this post and I dont like it

I know
exactly
how
you feel

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's still preferred,,,,,,,over a colleague,,,,,,,,, that uses a random amount of commas
and 5 different combinations,,,,,,,of colours and fonts,,,,,in his emails..........

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm going to throw this loving printer out of a window

It's a brother hl-3230cdw that I set up brand new as a replacement, the drivers on the server are correct, I updated the loving firmware, I set it to manual feed mode.... and nothing I do will recognize paper in the manual feed or pull it to print. I have loving tried everything and there's a 100 teachers trying to print certificates on fancy paper standing around wanting to know what the problem is. i loving hate printers

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I'm going to throw this loving printer out of a window

It's a brother hl-3230cdw that I set up brand new as a replacement, the drivers on the server are correct, I updated the loving firmware, I set it to manual feed mode.... and nothing I do will recognize paper in the manual feed or pull it to print. I have loving tried everything and there's a 100 teachers trying to print certificates on fancy paper standing around wanting to know what the problem is. i loving hate printers

The manual feed guides are probably like half a millimeter off where they should be.

Printers are the worst.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Polio Vax Scene posted:

shoutouts
to this coworker
who seems to be
unable
to form
a coherent thought

MODS I feel attacked rn

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

In today's things that are pissing me off...

Companies have gone overboard with reducing the friction to create an account. The number of people I run into with 5 microsoft accounts and no idea what they are for makes it a nightmare to help them.

One is their office365 business email subscription
One is their office365 desktop applications subscription
One is an account with no paid subscriptions, it was just accidentally created when trying to sign into one of their other accounts, it's username is *theirpassword*@domain.onmicrosoft.com
One is an account that was created by entering their phone number, instead of their email address
One is their account that their $300 amazon windows 10 in S mode laptop forced them to create.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
People who schedule meetings for 3:30 on a Friday afternoon need to be slapped. Those people need to be slapped twice if they let the meeting run 20 minutes over.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hughmoris posted:

People who schedule meetings for 3:30 on a Friday afternoon need to be slapped. Those people need to be slapped twice if they let the meeting run 20 minutes over.

One of the nicer things about being a West Coast employee of an East Coast company is that meetings are usually done by 2 pm Pacific daily.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

I don't accept meeting invites after 1-2pm on Fridays...

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Got a request from a different location to help get device data into their data management system (spc)

Two big issues their new device only has controller software no data collection or communication software.

Their new spc software uses Active X and requires IE 6 or less.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Domus posted:

So you have to take your hands off the keyboard, mouse to the add button, and then return to typing the next line. For 200 items per shipment. Multiple daily shipments. I can’t fathom there not being a shortcut key for the add button, but no one knows what a shortcut key is.

Keyboard shortcuts own, they're so much faster once you get into a routine. For your issue, try tab to get to the Add button.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our “programmer/analyst” stinks.

He setup a new database connector this week and tries to blame it breaking on server patching. My boss wanted some new reports ASAP this week so it was an ordeal. Anyway, the two of them couldn’t figure out why the reporting system was broken.

I overheard “bob can figure it out” while I was taking backups to the safe.

“Working on anything else before you leave today?”

I leave at 4 so I’m not starting on this at 3:30 if you want it fixed before I leave.

Piece of cake to fix. Website gives an error, it runs on Tomcat so the logs are there, turns out someone uploaded a JRE 11 version of the database driver, when we need 8. Ripped the bad files out, had him re-upload the right version, we fixed it in 20 minutes.

At least I got out of sitting on a FortiNet sales call. My boss is the perfect example of someone who asks the dumbest questions and eats up the bullshit answers sales guys give.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Polio Vax Scene posted:

shoutouts
to this coworker
who seems to be
unable
to form
a coherent thought

I turn this off for work but my casual posting is this.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Where the hell would I download a legit copy of IE 5.5/6?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

joebuddah posted:

Where the hell would I download a legit copy of IE 5.5/6?

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/internet-explorer/

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Microsoft used to host Windows VMs with older versions of IE preinstalled, but it looks like they only go back to IE8 now.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Bob Morales posted:

At least I got out of sitting on a FortiNet sales call. My boss is the perfect example of someone who asks the dumbest questions and eats up the bullshit answers sales guys give.

Guess you get to be the next "replace all the firewalls" project lead. Execution is end-of-month because the Fortinet sales guy needs to make his monthlies.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

We came from an AS/400 system that had been in use for...20 years? So taking people from a keyboard-based console interface to a mouse-driven, web-based GUI was a struggle.

That's way faster since the interface has about zero lag and they have the keystrokes in muscle memory. Now they have to move the mouse over to Customers, then Payments, then pick the customer, blah blah.

It also didn't help that the existing data was absolute poo poo. Multiple versions of the same customer, some had to be merged because one department uses one and another uses the other record with the same name. * in a customer name means they are disabled, x means something else, but those also mean other things to different people.

They also pushed for re-creating the old system in Netsuite since you can 'customize it'. Bad, bad idea. Just change the way you do things to fit the new system, not the other way around. They also did goofy poo poo like created invoices for negative numbers instead of doing a credit memo.

Everyone hated it for the first year, and then everyone that mattered, loved it. Handful of end-users still hated it but oh well.

The other problem was things that weren't included or the included version was poo poo. Like taxes, credit cards, e-commerce, check printing, ACH....So we ended up spending more money on those things.

We had the same thing moving from a terminal-screen ERP that was 30 years old to Dynamics. Sales/C-levels had been complaining for years about how our competitors were stealing our customers and leads because they had so much more to offer in terms of connectivity and integration system-wise. This was a safe argument as they knew our owner wasn't likely to spend money to change it, as he had programmed about 40% of the system himself. Then I convinced him otherwise and we moved to a modern ERP where you didn't have to execute every basic step of the flow yourself, had data validation and centralised data management, reporting options, etc. They hated it and tried their very best to use it like the old system.

Accounting lead kept telling me how the new system wasn't logical. What she meant by this was 'different than our old system'. She had zero experience in working in other companies or with other systems. She was offended when I pointed out that her basis for comparison was one extremely old, extremely customized, locally developed computer system.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

Microsoft used to host Windows VMs with older versions of IE preinstalled, but it looks like they only go back to IE8 now.

Thanks . I was hoping there would be an official MS path. As I don't want to encourage downloading software from non official places.

I'm truly baffled as to how a new soft suite that requires a 20 year old version of IE wouldn't include it. Or why it has that requirement in the first place

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 13, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

joebuddah posted:

Or why it has that requirement in the first place
Because the business software world thinks in terms of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" while considering "broke as gently caress and ready to fall apart but hasn't quite yet" as "ain't broke".

That and the people who do care usually don't have the authority to put a hard stop on a software purchase for being lovely, if they even know about it before the purchase occurs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

wolrah posted:

That and the people who do care usually don't have the authority to put a hard stop on a software purchase for being lovely, if they even know about it before the purchase occurs.

What do you mean, rubber stamping WONTFIX on every critique and request during user acceptance testing is totally normal, right??? :v:

(gently caress me with a rake salesforce is the shittiest ticketing system ever conceived by man)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Guess you get to be the next "replace all the firewalls" project lead. Execution is end-of-month because the Fortinet sales guy needs to make his monthlies.

They want to use more FortiNet stuff like their antivirus (forticlient) and maybe some whiz bang cloud AI cyber defense horse poo poo

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

joebuddah posted:

I'm truly baffled as to how a new soft suite that requires a 20 year old version of IE wouldn't include it. Or why it has that requirement in the first place

Can you even include old IE versions? I thought they used to be bundled with the OS tightly

J
Jun 10, 2001

joebuddah posted:

:stare:

Does IE6 even work on windows10? Or is this being deployed on computers with older versions of windows? :ohdear:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ISP sent us an OMG YOU HAVE EXHCANGE ON THE WEB YOU GONNA GET HACKED courtesy email, like nine days late.

Boss calls to tell me “our isp said we got hacked”

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

J posted:

:stare:

Does IE6 even work on windows10? Or is this being deployed on computers with older versions of windows? :ohdear:

You need to run Windows XP for IE 6. As far as I remember, Windows Vista comes with IE 7, and Windows 7 comes with IE 8.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

mllaneza posted:

Keyboard shortcuts own, they're so much faster once you get into a routine. For your issue, try tab to get to the Add button.

I just add an extra tab so I’m in the quantity field, and then hitting enter will add the line. My issue is that netsuite sales orders have a spreadsheet like interface, without any of the features that make a spreadsheet good. You cannot copy/paste a line. You cannot move the data from one sheet to the other. And most annoying for me, you can only insert one line at a time, with a button, no shortcut key. There is noticeable lag between every entry.

I’ve previously worked for a business that did reports for banks. They used excel, and I am blazingly fast at data entry using any normal means of input. Now it’s like having one hand tied behind my back, with a blindfold on. I feel for those workers who went from old consoles to GUI’s. It’s like everything is in slow motion. Very very frustrating.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
So, my (ex-)boss/owner of the company took over the IT responsibilities when I left. He's now in the hospital with COVID. Who's going to take care of the printer issues and password resets now? :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sixth and maimed posted:

So, my (ex-)boss/owner of the company took over the IT responsibilities when I left. He's now in the hospital with COVID. Who's going to take care of the printer issues and password resets now? :ohdear:

Is it still considered a low-risk outbreak in your old workplace?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Low risk for sixth and maimed, now :v:

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, never worry, it still is. You see, these 6 people (that I know of) - who got sick in the same two-week period - all contracted COVID independently from each other and most def. not in the workplace. Why, everybody follows the rules, keeps their masks on at all times and respects a 5-foot distance from each other (only they don't, in reality).

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Low risk for sixth and maimed, now :v:

Very much this! I got out just in time, apparently.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Sounds like an on prem deployment right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

RoboBoogie posted:

Sounds like an on prem deployment right?

The AS/400? Yes, I'm sure they all are. I know we had a vendor or two of AS/400 ERP software that said we could 'deploy in the cloud', but I'm not sure what they really meant by that. Hosted, I assume.

NetSuite isn't available to run on-prem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sixth and maimed posted:

Oh, never worry, it still is. You see, these 6 people (that I know of) - who got sick in the same two-week period - all contracted COVID independently from each other and most def. not in the workplace. Why, everybody follows the rules, keeps their masks on at all times and respects a 5-foot distance from each other (only they don't, in reality).

found the problem. if everyone was six feet away from each other they’d all be fine. it’s actually illegal for covid to infect you at six feet or more