Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Huh, a bunch of tankies fuckin love imperialism if it's The Right People doing it.

Those People

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I always assumed "tankie" meant the kind of irony-poisoned rear end in a top hat leftist who thinks the USSR was good and worships Stalin because when he did authoritarianism, he had the decency to wrap himself in the red flag.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sydin posted:

I always assumed "tankie" meant the kind of irony-poisoned rear end in a top hat leftist who thinks the USSR was good and worships Stalin because when he did authoritarianism, he had the decency to wrap himself in the red flag.

That's most often what it's applied to. "The jackboot is actually very good if it has 'People's' written on it."

That and often Xi lovers who when confronted on any of the many problems in china, often just start rapidly playing whataboutism and then go haywire if you drop the bomb on them that you don't like the US's problems either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Enough of secondhand criticisms, if you wanna slam someone, you post a link to their stupid idiot ramblings on twitter or a timestamp of the moronic brainpoison they spewed out in their youtube video with a timestamp

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

Enough of secondhand criticisms, if you wanna slam someone, you post a link to their stupid idiot ramblings on twitter or a timestamp of the moronic brainpoison they spewed out in their youtube video with a timestamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRTfcMeqhig&hd=1

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's strange how Lupin and Tonks are made into a straight, later dead, couple when they are so transparently gay-coded (closeted man and poly woman) Meanwhile nobody really gave a poo poo about Dumbledore because he's the stock geezer mentor, yet somehow he is gay only it's never said or implied anywhere in the text.

At least as far as I've heard, having not read it myself, there's a bit towards the end of book 7 where he pontificates on Grindelwald in a way where you could conceivably connect the dots. But it's still pretty telling that it only comes up whisper-loud, at the end of the final book, after the dude is already dead, and not a single time before that.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think we’ve reached the point where you shouldn’t take anyone who says tankie seriously

Though this applies to any shorthand used to delegitimization your opponent without needing engagement I suppose

lol get a load of this goon

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

John Murdoch posted:

At least as far as I've heard, having not read it myself, there's a bit towards the end of book 7 where he pontificates on Grindelwald in a way where you could conceivably connect the dots. But it's still pretty telling that it only comes up whisper-loud, at the end of the final book, after the dude is already dead, and not a single time before that.
I thought it was pretty clear subtext at the time, and Harry not knowing the details of his teacher's romantic / sex life (especially given what those details were) seems fine.

The problem is less with Dumbledore and more with the lack of representation elsewhere.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

While we all appreciate video essays praising the best Dark Souls game I don't think that's what that poster was asking for.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigRed0427 posted:

Apparently JK compares being a cis woman to being disabled? What the gently caress?

now you peaked my curiously. as someone with disabilities, id like to know the comparison because i am sure its funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
broke: get Jenny a furry award for her Bronycon vid

woke: get Jenny a loving Hugo

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1370470757080305667

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

grindelwald annoys me because he is an interesting idea. a powerful smart dude who along with his friend/bf got corrupted and when they faught said bf's sister dies and the dude ends up doing alot of really bad poo poo before getting caught and sealed away in jail. like the book implies he is precursor voldemort but with other stuff. the movie just makes him weird hitler with a skull bong. i think what annoys me is there are cool ideas about the harry potter world, its just they only care about the dumb poo poo or the main protags. i liked the first fantastic beasts because it was just quirk magic herper running around catching/saving animals and being empathetic and poo poo. 2 was just stupidly dark and takes a trait of newt and turns it into maximum overdrive and than sidelines him for johnny depp looking like he doesn't know where he is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Yardbomb posted:

Huh, a bunch of tankies fuckin love imperialism if it's The Right People doing it.
They sure love defending Assad and calling the Kurds imperialist pawns

Like there are things I think anarchists need to let the gently caress go, like Krondstat it happened a 100 years ago (and it was mostly Trotsky's doing) and anything involving the Russian Revolution needs to be put through the analysis that the conditions that allowed it to happen are probably not going to be the same when hopefully there is future revolution.

I also just get annoyed at Anarkiddies who think doing insurrection and blac bloc poo poo or flipping a city garbage can is praxis.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

grindelwald annoys me because he is an interesting idea. a powerful smart dude who along with his friend/bf got corrupted and when they faught said bf's sister dies and the dude ends up doing alot of really bad poo poo before getting caught and sealed away in jail. like the book implies he is precursor voldemort but with other stuff. the movie just makes him weird hitler with a skull bong. i think what annoys me is there are cool ideas about the harry potter world, its just they only care about the dumb poo poo or the main protags. i liked the first fantastic beasts because it was just quirk magic herper running around catching/saving animals and being empathetic and poo poo. 2 was just stupidly dark and takes a trait of newt and turns it into maximum overdrive and than sidelines him for johnny depp looking like he doesn't know where he is.

grindlewald was probably JK's most interesting idea because you could see he originally was meant to be a story of a man with good intent and horrified by visions of the future trying to stop suffering only to wind up going down that exact path and making his visions come true. Like, it's a simple story, nothing super unique, but it's an interesting one for the morality of HP that's usually much more black and white based on if the protagonists like you or not. Yea the base story of 'Grindlewald's suffering is at his core his own fault' is a sad one because through Dumbledore and all we see that unlike Voldemort and Malfoy and all he wasn't actually always that way.

Then it just becomes the most boring 'he was, actually, always that way and I guess that means Dumbledore wanted to pork wizard hitler???'

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

achillesforever6 posted:

They sure love defending Assad and calling the Kurds imperialist pawns

Like there are things I think anarchists need to let the gently caress go, like Krondstat it happened a 100 years ago (and it was mostly Trotsky's doing) and anything involving the Russian Revolution needs to be put through the analysis that the conditions that allowed it to happen are probably not going to be the same when hopefully there is future revolution.

I also just get annoyed at Anarkiddies who think doing insurrection and blac bloc poo poo or flipping a city garbage can is praxis.

They did let it go, the reason its back now is because the internet is full of angry Stalin is amazing teens regurgitating the old soviet unions lies about it being a White guard plot. Several years ago all the bad poo poo authoritarian groups did was only brought up in historical discussions, because no one denied that they happened or that they were really bad things. This is the same reason Tankie went from an obscure British terminology as the last of the old school tankies literally died off, to being a major buzzword now. Soviet nostalgia and support for any brutal despot who talked about government industry was on the decline as the obvious failures of these ideologies were simply inescapable realities, and more research was uncovering just how hosed and broken they truly were. Now sadly its reversed to the point where if anything its much worse than ever since in addition to reigniting all the old lies we now have open fascists genocidal campaigns still able to find plenty of useful idiots.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

When I first came across tankies I thought it was people being ironic and doing a bit.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought it was pretty clear subtext at the time, and Harry not knowing the details of his teacher's romantic / sex life (especially given what those details were) seems fine.

The problem is less with Dumbledore and more with the lack of representation elsewhere.

Honestly if Harry Potter had remained 7 books/8 movies and Joanne had not gone Full loving TERF, I'd have been perfectly happy to accept "yeah I never spelled it out but Dumbledore was gay" because that's a perfectly reasonable stance: the book is from Harry's perspective, he's not exactly digging around in his headmaster's sex life, and yeah, "Dumbledore let Grindewald go way, way too far because he was in love with him" is definitely the subtext going on in how he describes that stuff to Harry.

Unfortunately we instead live in the timeline where Joanne wrote a whole rear end movie about Grindewald's backstory and decided to still have Dumbledore's big gay crush be subtext, then went mask off TERF six months later just in time to strangle the franchise's chance to become a generational classic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stay off twitter. There’s nothing good on there.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1370268209044094976?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

grindlewald was probably JK's most interesting idea because you could see he originally was meant to be a story of a man with good intent and horrified by visions of the future trying to stop suffering only to wind up going down that exact path and making his visions come true. Like, it's a simple story, nothing super unique, but it's an interesting one for the morality of HP that's usually much more black and white based on if the protagonists like you or not. Yea the base story of 'Grindlewald's suffering is at his core his own fault' is a sad one because through Dumbledore and all we see that unlike Voldemort and Malfoy and all he wasn't actually always that way.

Then it just becomes the most boring 'he was, actually, always that way and I guess that means Dumbledore wanted to pork wizard hitler???'

i mean the issue is also you make him the most black and white villain possible too. he tosses his pet out the window and ices a 5 year old in the first 30 min i believe. like i am cool with dead eyed sociopath villians who make excuses for their actions like MCU thanos and to some extent darth vader.

anyway, my issue is i liked him when he was just a loose concept in the books. he was some long caged and semi forgoten monster from like 70 years ago who you knew used to be some vague threat and possibly some radical type but it was mostly known for being friends/partners with dumbledore and that in a fight, dumbys sister died. for all we know he could have been some wizard "Propaganda of the deed" who walked out and blew a bunch of gilded age wizard leaders away with a gun. idk. thats more interesting than "stop nukes or something".

CmdrKing posted:

Honestly if Harry Potter had remained 7 books/8 movies and Joanne had not gone Full loving TERF, I'd have been perfectly happy to accept "yeah I never spelled it out but Dumbledore was gay" because that's a perfectly reasonable stance: the book is from Harry's perspective, he's not exactly digging around in his headmaster's sex life, and yeah, "Dumbledore let Grindewald go way, way too far because he was in love with him" is definitely the subtext going on in how he describes that stuff to Harry.

Unfortunately we instead live in the timeline where Joanne wrote a whole rear end movie about Grindewald's backstory and decided to still have Dumbledore's big gay crush be subtext, then went mask off TERF six months later just in time to strangle the franchise's chance to become a generational classic.

yeah. like if they had actually sorta hinted at it(which i think they sorta do maybe) but i havent read the book in like a decade. if she wasnt a bigoted poo poo head, id almost feel bad because she basicaly destroyed he legacy by doubling down on being a loud terf rear end in a top hat. if she hadnt done that, she would be remembered as some weird lady who had dumb hot takes and did dumb poo poo with her series.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 13, 2021

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Violet_Sky posted:

My headcanon is that Tonks/Lupin were bi/pan. Tonks was also genderfluid.

Something that drives me crazy about Joanne being a TERF is that she created a world where it's trivially easy for someone to change their gender expression if they wanted to. They teach kids how to make potions that can transform you into someone else in year one or two of school, and there are wizards who can transform into animals at will. There's no way that there aren't wizards who have devised ways to physically change their gender if they wanted to

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While it makes sense for Harry to not be privy to all of Dumbledore's personal life, what makes it gross is how it came and went without much notice but then JK swung back in a year later to try and milk the publicity/ally points by proclaiming it as some kind of big reveal.

Shinji2015 posted:

Something that drives me crazy about Joanne being a TERF is that she created a world where it's trivially easy for someone to change their gender expression if they wanted to. They teach kids how to make potions that can transform you into someone else in year one or two of school, and there are wizards who can transform into animals at will. There's no way that there aren't wizards who have devised ways to physically change their gender if they wanted to

Reminds me of the Baldur's Gate situation, where they added a trans character and despite belts that turn you into a man/woman having existed since forever in the setting suddenly it was a Big Problem for Certain People that someone chose to do it intentionally.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 13, 2021

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Shinji2015 posted:

They teach kids how to make potions that can transform you into someone else in year one or two of school

They don't, actually. They had to get a book out of the part of the library that students are very explicitly not allowed to get books out of without a teacher's permission.

Mind, the potion still exists, so.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1370572243445645312

Cinema Bobert thinks Shrek is really reactionary or something???? I don't know lol

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
That tweet about Twitter being 90% making up a guy in your head and then getting mad at him.

:goonsay: Also, most of the Shrek stuff toward Disney was over studio drama anyway (edit: Which he acknowledge below...so it's even dumber). So even in his dumb example it would be something like Lord and Miller getting revenge over Solo by having Kathleen Kennedy forcing Shrek to do a boring safe adventure with no jokes that he has to break out of.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 13, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Come on. I don't buy that none of you have an opinion about this.

MiddleOne posted:

Tom Nicholas destroys Johnny Harris with facts and logic

It's about a sponsor-deal for a video I somehow don't remember watching. Still caught me by surprise that someone who produces overtly political content for a living got suckered into something that is so blatantly political propaganda.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i dont know who either of those people are and neither the text in the link or the spoiler makes me interested in finding out!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Hi my name’s Kathleen Kennedy (but queer/POC-coded) Faarquad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1370572243445645312

Cinema Bobert thinks Shrek is really reactionary or something???? I don't know lol

The original Shrek was made to make fun of what an rear end in a top hat Michael Eisner was though because he fired or forced Jeffrey Katzenberg out of Disney. Its plot is literally “Michael Eisner is a huge loving rear end in a top hat and he’s ruining animation (read: Fantasyland) because he’s a huge loving rear end in a top hat.”

How the gently caress does a man with the word “Movie” in his chosen moniker not understand cinema history?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The weird thing is that he even notes the "Industry Insider" jokes which he insists no one actually liked in the original Shrek and that they really liked the sincere fairytale stuff. Which, actually, I'm pretty sure most people remember the jokes about Not-Disneyland.

MiddleOne posted:

Come on. I don't buy that none of you have an opinion about this.

Okay, I put it on.

It's a really long video that probably crosses the line into "doesn't respect my time." He outright repeats himself a few times and drags every issue out into the minutiae. I know there's a need for entry-level stuff and hand-holding and I'm probably not the target audience, but it could have been about half as long and twice as focused. The idea isn't that complicated.

Short version for anybody who wants to know. Johnny Harris, an apparently successful former Vox reporter who previously did/does good work (taking this on faith), put out a video talking about the hot new idea for Stakeholder Capitalism. At the end he notes that the video was in partnership with the World Economic Forum. A few pokes would seem to reveal that it was a close partnership and bordering on a Sponsored Post, according to Nicholas. Harris acts like an independent journalist and criticizes mainstream media, but he was happy to uncritically push the World Economic Forum's ideas in a seemingly unrelated video out of money or sincere belief.

And, well...yeah. That's how the news works. Surprise. It's like 50% barely hidden propaganda and press releases. Someone should point him toward the Citations Needed podcast to really blow his mind. The idea that YouTube wouldn't be tainted by it is painfully naive.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 13, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hello I am a 40-year old man and if you criticize the company that makes my Hulk Iron Man Star Wars cartoons then you are racist

Augus fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 13, 2021

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

John Murdoch posted:

While it makes sense for Harry to not be privy to all of Dumbledore's personal life, what makes it gross is how it came and went without much notice but then JK swung back in a year later to try and milk the publicity/ally points by proclaiming it as some kind of big reveal.

I just realized how hilarious it is that Rowling had this thing about not chasing "woke cookies" in her manifesto when that's literally what she's been doing with poo poo like this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Augus posted:

hello I am a 40-year old man and if you criticize the company that makes my Hulk Iron Man Star Wars cartoons then you are racist

I mean, Cinema Robert has the faintest inkling of a point: the loudest voices in the room at the moment screaming at/about Disney are the alt-right and their weird self-reinforcing QAnon, But For Movies e-cult, but he's just... a loving dumbass about it. They make it actively difficult to find actual fault with Disney because they're so loving awful they poison the discourse by default.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Solitair posted:

I just realized how hilarious it is that Rowling had this thing about not chasing "woke cookies" in her manifesto when that's literally what she's been doing with poo poo like this.

As with many reactionary positions, projection is baked into the foundation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When she started posting that poo poo, people were joking about how in five years she’d be saying Hagrid was really trans the whole time and Anthony Goldstein was non-binary, as she’d just be watching for new bandwagons to jump as cultural acceptance grew for different identities, but we sure did get a curve thrown there. I was going to say that I wish the other thing had happened instead, but her getting dumpstered right out of pop culture and her grown fans repudiating her books and viewing them again with critical eyes is probably better for social progress overall.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the last couple of pages have left me wondering do you people even deserve a long furby video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-1jIYc1lWw

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

...Tubman and her master
That sure is a gross word to use in this context. I'm sorry someone called someone a tankie though, that most have been really gross, awful and diminishing for you to read. :,(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

How the gently caress does a man with the word “Movie” in his chosen moniker not understand cinema history?

Because Bob only truly understands the history of World 8, Dark Land.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What I’m gathering from this is TS is awful but his fans are very devoted. Reminds me of the destiny stuff going on right now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Somehow I think ThoughtSlime might not actually be as bad as Kyle Rittenhouse Defender Guy, but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CharlestheHammer posted:

What I’m gathering from this is TS is awful but his fans are very devoted. Reminds me of the destiny stuff going on right now

Seems like an overreaction to compare TS to Destiny right away.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 13, 2021