Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

A.o.D. posted:

Did I just imagine that?

Yes, you unfortunately did.

One Antimony was in the forest timestop for 3 months, so maybe you are thinking of that.

EDIT: 6 months, sorry

life_source fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

I swear I read somewhere recently in the comic where it was explained that the two Annies were the same person just from different points in time.

Did I just imagine that?

No, you're sorta right. It starts here.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2160

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

The next chapter "The Mind Cage" is all about arguing if one or both of the Anni died to create one Annie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fire spirit Annie from several years ago: Hello Court Annie welcome to the mind cage, this is where Annie puts parts of herself she trims off like a bonsai tree even though they happen to have independent thoughts and personalities sometimes. One more and we can start a club!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Did anyone make a "there are two wolves inside him" joke about Loup yet? I'm probably years late with that one.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Loup just has a really nice 3D printer

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pants Donkey posted:

Loup just has a really nice 3D printer

What if Coyote is a jeweller

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a dog eat dog world out there

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CJacobs posted:

It's a dog eat dog world out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk-R1-kabFs

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
God I hope jones is about to point out someone died, because Kat being 100% cool with this poo poo is kind of pissing me off!

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
This entire chapter is just going to be a parade of all the characters giving Annie Prime a big thumbs up, isn't it. :munch:

Edit: "Literally Everyone is Entirely Fine With This Situation"

Strawberry Pyramid fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 15, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Look at that dorky new character, smoozing up to the established ones.

I do kinda like that purple plus green end up in the middle at a blue and suddenly the outfit matches the hairclip and the eyes.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

I wonder if Kat's really OK with this situation or just happy that Annie's happy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
How many years since Jones' last appearance?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Also, has Jones ever really interacted with Kat? Don't really remember any instances.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also, has Jones ever really interacted with Kat? Don't really remember any instances.

The only scenes they've shared (that I can remember) are the first time Jones comes to collect Annie for medium training, then a whole lot later after the whole re-entry thing.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Hair is longer, and some early winter scarves/coats/sweaters on

I think we've timeskipped past "initial fallout"

Also Kat has caught Football Head Disease and I just cannot unsee it now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kennel posted:

How many years since Jones' last appearance?

A week or two, she's in at the very end of the zimmy extra comic.

Edit: at least I assume that's her on page 26 and 27,which she may be about to mention if so

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 15, 2021

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The Court is deeply concerned that you are happy, Antimony.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's been proportional to the overall suffering in the comic thus far so why stop using it as a barometer now?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The Court is deeply concerned that you are happy, Antimony.

Annie your father has died off screen. Some sort of narrative smokescreen I suspect.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I don't really even understand what happened in the last chapter, to be honest.

But we are back to the Singular Annie, then?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, speaking of Zim Grim, I have to wonder if Zimmy created Gamma and that's what the comic is meant to depicting near the end with the goop coming off of Zim Zam. I can't tell if it's meant to be obvious and I'm overthinking it though. Something about Zimmy's special quirk, whatever it is, separating the realm of waking and dreams into two worlds and two people or something like that.

edit:

I'm not gonna lie I only think this because the goop coming off of Zimmy looks like Gamma's hair, but that could be for any reason including that it looks cool, it doesn't have to be some kinda greek myth thing where she sprung from Zimmy's grievous bleeding head wound

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 15, 2021

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ronya posted:

Hair is longer, and some early winter scarves/coats/sweaters on

I think we've timeskipped past "initial fallout"

Trying not to be one of the over-reacting 'the comic is terrible forever now' folks, but if we really have skipped past all the characters reacting to the Annie fusion that seems kind of bad. Even the most generous reading here at least implies Tom is intentionally trolling his audience. Which could still be fine. Maybe he's going to go back and explore all of this with Jones as the mouthpiece for everyone's complaints.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CJacobs posted:

By the way, speaking of Zim Grim, I have to wonder if Zimmy created Gamma and that's what the comic is meant to depicting near the end with the goop coming off of Zim Zam. I can't tell if it's meant to be obvious and I'm overthinking it though. Something about Zimmy's special quirk, whatever it is, separating the realm of waking and dreams into two worlds and two people or something like that.

edit:

I'm not gonna lie I only think this because the goop coming off of Zimmy looks like Gamma's hair, but that could be for any reason including that it looks cool, it doesn't have to be some kinda greek myth thing where she sprung from Zimmy's grievous bleeding head wound

What is this from?

edit: I had no idea there was a Zimmy comic up. I saw that cover image posted here but didn't think anything of it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Maybe he's going to go back and explore all of this with Jones as the mouthpiece for everyone's complaints.

GUNNERKRIGG COURT
Chapter 80:
The Pebble

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

BobTheJanitor posted:

Trying not to be one of the over-reacting 'the comic is terrible forever now' folks, but if we really have skipped past all the characters reacting to the Annie fusion that seems kind of bad. Even the most generous reading here at least implies Tom is intentionally trolling his audience. Which could still be fine. Maybe he's going to go back and explore all of this with Jones as the mouthpiece for everyone's complaints.

Seems less of an overreaction now doesn't it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rumda posted:

Seems less of an overreaction now doesn't it.

No

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

BobTheJanitor posted:

IMHO just having some characters going :wtf: isn't gonna cut it, a proper payoff should have the situation getting blatantly weirder soon. Dunno if Tom's gonna deliver.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yall like to bitch a lot about like three days worth of comics, from a strip that leaves plots to play out for years of real time. Go reread Stone and come back next week or something maybe, you'll be happier that way.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
There's precedent for brutally suppressing inner turmoil under a façade of cheerfulness, but I'm still holding out hope for a "psych, you were in dreamland for months" fakeout

there are already other residents of the court who spend basically all their time in the ether. 'reality' is a bit of a slippery concept in GKC

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 15, 2021

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

YaketySass posted:

IMHO just having some characters going :wtf: isn't gonna cut it, a proper payoff should have the situation getting blatantly weirder soon. Dunno if Tom's gonna deliver.

he will, but i hope he takes years to solve it because that makes people angrier for no apparent reason

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
They should bring back the minotaur for all this. I miss him.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It bothered me when not a single adult had a reaction to the entire-class-kidnapping incident of "the torn sea", as far as we were shown. But here I am, still reading and enjoying the comic years later. "skipping past the fallout to the point where you're not sure if there was any" is part of this comic's fundamental tone, not anything new.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The comic is just not interested in showing a lot of that stuff because it's not really what it's about, it seems. The behind the scenes videos shed a lot of light on how Tom views action sequences in the comic, or viewed when they were filmed at least, and it's just not necessary to the kind of story being told most of the time. We don't need to see the Court's herculean and probably rather violent effort to hold back Loup's never-ending army of plant monsters and shadows while all this is going on, because to Antimony, her father disapproving of her wearing makeup even though she likes it and it reminds her of her mother is pretty much the same thing, because Annie is a teenager. We can just imagine the Court trying to defend the exclusion zone because a few guys wearing Court outfits shepherding rowdy kids and stompin bugs got shown in the background, we rarely need to see them actually doing it in focus because it wouldn't add anything to the comic's primary goal of making terrible things happen to Antimony Carver putting extremely wide-scope and life changing events in the perspective of a teen who is being forced to grow up very quickly.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 16, 2021

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

There's a difference in not focusing on background details and not focusing on a major change happening to the main character, though. No one is complaining that we never get to find out the hopes and dreams of 'generic background court employee in an airtight suit' -- for obvious reasons. People are complaining that the main character got split into two individuals who had enough time apart to experience different things and grow into actual different people, and then got stuck back together off screen and we haven't seen any reaction to it yet. I'm still holding out judgment until we see where Tom is going with this, but I don't think it's really comparable to any other loose ends the story has had before.

#bringbackbasil

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Writers are usually afraid of bringing Basil back too much, lest he become a pesto

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BobTheJanitor posted:

There's a difference in not focusing on background details and not focusing on a major change happening to the main character, though. No one is complaining that we never get to find out the hopes and dreams of 'generic background court employee in an airtight suit' -- for obvious reasons. People are complaining that the main character got split into two individuals who had enough time apart to experience different things and grow into actual different people, and then got stuck back together off screen and we haven't seen any reaction to it yet. I'm still holding out judgment until we see where Tom is going with this, but I don't think it's really comparable to any other loose ends the story has had before.

That's not really the same thing as jumping past the denouement, the two bolded sections are two different complaints.

edit: Also there is no stuck 'back' together really, they were never something that was split apart in the first place

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 17, 2021

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Ditocoaf posted:

It bothered me when not a single adult had a reaction to the entire-class-kidnapping incident of "the torn sea", as far as we were shown. But here I am, still reading and enjoying the comic years later. "skipping past the fallout to the point where you're not sure if there was any" is part of this comic's fundamental tone, not anything new.

There didn't seem to be any consequences from Jack Hyland's sojourn in Zimmingham the first time around, which the Court was fully aware about. "Well our school lost a kid for a few weeks but he's back now! We're cool, right? Let's get lunch."

One could reasonably put down a lot to the established atmosphere of secrecy and putting-children-in-mortal-peril

Subsequently (multiple years later in publication time!), it was revealed that that Juliette and Arthur had been keeping hijinx secret using their MIB powers - at that point, we find out that the incongruously successful scheming since Spring Heeled might not have been intentional on the Court's part, but instead some rogue agents doing their own thing

All this is kind of background fluff, though - putting viewpoint characters in implausible levels of danger for storytelling reasons is qualitatively different from unceremoniously expelling them from the stage. I think we will be seeing some explanation. A timeskip combined with a tonal shift is how Tom prefers to bookend each mini-arc, after all (now that the whole boarding-school-esque conceit of adventures conveniently contained within each school year seems to have fallen by the wayside)

ronya fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well, that settles that.