Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Actually, there is one way to play around that: just never assume you can stagger enemies, and always dodge when they wind up an attack.

I realize that this is not a solution in the sense that this might very well make the game much less fun for you, it's just what I do to combat that issue. I keep seeing LPs and posts by people who just expect that they can stunlock enemies and get deeply offended when the enemy does not play along, and I get it, that's frustrating, but again, you can't just expect that stunlocking will work after your first 20 lessons in that regard.

If it helps, in many Souls games at least if you hit an enemy while they're NOT attacking, you can get that stunlock going, though sometimes they can decide that they will now start an attack that ignores that they were chain-flinching a moment ago because gently caress you. That's the real fuckery imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My reflex in all games is to beat on someone for no more than a second before dodging away. I just assume that if I stick around any longer I'm going to get punished.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The mindfuck level In Spider-Man is completely bullshit. Not only is the ground covered in poison but it keeps rising. And then you got scorpion tails that knocks you into the poison.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Lone Badger posted:

My reflex in all games is to beat on someone for no more than a second before dodging away. I just assume that if I stick around any longer I'm going to get punished.

My gaming ethos since the age of 10 has been "this fucker keeps hitting me with his poo poo! Now I'm gonna hit him with MY poo poo!"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Alhazred posted:

The mindfuck level In Spider-Man is completely bullshit. Not only is the ground covered in poison but it keeps rising. And then you got scorpion tails that knocks you into the poison.

Use your acrobatic spider powers to avoid this!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

If you don't have it yet, the skill that allows for two Web Zips in a row without losing height helps in this level.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, web zips is really the only way to beat that level. Too bad I concentrated on the two other skill trees instead.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Point launch probably helps a lot as well.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Lone Badger posted:

Absolutely. The stagger not working issue makes no sense to me because I’ve never gone into boss fights in any of the From games with the assumption I can ever stagger them. If I can get more than two attacks without getting punished for it, that’s a rare treat. If I manage to hit them during an attack and interrupt it, I consider myself lucky and don’t try to rely on it

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Nuebot posted:

So Frost Punk is a really cool looking city builder game but as far as I can tell, it was developed by people who think the coolest way to play a game is to follow a wiki guide or fail over and over again for the most asinine reasons. The idea is that you have to manage all your resources to keep people alive; coal, to keep your town warm, wood and steel to build things, and food to feed your people. If they get cold they get sick, if they get sick they can't work and the biggest challenge is that it just keeps getting colder forever. But also sometimes people just get sick, because gently caress you. Also food, as a resource, costs way, way more than anything else, accrues slower and the most effective way to get it also has a higher, and nearly impossible to mitigate, chance of making people sick. If you get a random event that impacts your food production, it's basically game over because people will go hungry, which also makes them sick, which just leads to a spiral until you lose. Everything has enormous resource costs for minimal gain too. Like, the basic setup is that your town has a generator that keeps everyone warm and alive that consumes coal constantly. Every single upgrade for it increases its consumption by 100%, if you don't get these upgrades then any expansions you make will freeze, get sick, and gently caress you over the instant it gets cold. But don't worry; there are upgrades that decrease how much coal it consumes! By 10%. About a third through the upgrade tree.

Basically it feels like a cool idea spoiled by being developed under the design idea that if you don't do everything perfectly at all times, you're just never going to make it past the first speedbump because the instant it gets cold everyone's just going to get sick and die anyway, even if you have all of your temperatures maxed out because all it takes to get your entire population to get sick and die is to walk outside when it's cold. And it's always cold.

It seems like every few months the game goes on sale and I think it looks interesting and might be my thing. Then I read some reviews similar to yours and always decide to skip it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The game that pissed me off the most with hyperarmor was Code Vein. In Dark Souls if you took a big fuckoff sword to a regular enemy you could flatten them pretty easy but the enemies in Code Vein pretty much don't react to being hit in any way unless you're specifically backstabbing or parrying them.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

exquisite tea posted:

My gaming ethos since the age of 10 has been "this fucker keeps hitting me with his poo poo! Now I'm gonna hit him with MY poo poo!"

The best offense is a lot more offense

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
That is what I loved about 95% of Sekiro’s enemies and bosses. If you’re hitting them they actually need to react to you.

Hell, even the final boss needs to react to your attacks, it’s like you’re having an actual fight.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The quicker you kill something, the less time it has to damage you. The most effective healing spell is the one that you don't need to cast.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

That is what I loved about 95% of Sekiro’s enemies and bosses. If you’re hitting them they actually need to react to you.

Hell, even the final boss needs to react to your attacks, it’s like you’re having an actual fight.

Most of the time he needs to react to your attacks. other times he ignores them with no warning and neither gets staggered out of his animation by them nor animation cancels to block them. there is no way to know where these gotchas exist other than to eat poo poo until you memorize them all through trial and error.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Getting food in frostpunk is basically "build hunters lodges" because those buildings are kept incredibly hella warm even without external heating and just because people leave to go hunting doesn't mean they're not hella warm at their workplace

Seriously they don't start getting chilly until it's like -70

The big trick is to keep your sick person count to low as possible, which means medical centers early and often. People only get sick as a result of the cold, and never get sick if their house and workplace is bright red on the temperature thing ( but will occasionally get sick if the temperature reads comfortable )

Edit: The frostpunk defender has logged on. I'm going to go with the "praising with faint drat" method and say frostpunk was actually pretty easy to master compared to some of the colony sims I've played. Most colony sims have weird little mechanical rules that have to be learned over the death of a dozen colonies, and it didn't take too long for me to get into the higher difficulties of frostpunk compared to rimworld, banished, or oxygen not included

Even ISLANDERS, a colony sim with exactly one mechanic, ends with a few dead colonies until you get the hang of it (big recommendation, by the way, very chill)

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Mar 8, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Evilreaver posted:

Getting food in frostpunk is basically "build hunters lodges" because those buildings are kept incredibly hella warm even without external heating and just because people leave to go hunting doesn't mean they're not hella warm at their workplace

Seriously they don't start getting chilly until it's like -70

The big trick is to keep your sick person count to low as possible, which means medical centers early and often. People only get sick as a result of the cold, and never get sick if their house and workplace is bright red on the temperature thing ( but will occasionally get sick if the temperature reads comfortable )

Edit: The frostpunk defender has logged on. I'm going to go with the "praising with faint drat" method and say frostpunk was actually pretty easy to master compared to some of the colony sims I've played. Most colony sims have weird little mechanical rules that have to be learned over the death of a dozen colonies, and it didn't take too long for me to get into the higher difficulties of frostpunk compared to rimworld, banished, or oxygen not included

Even ISLANDERS, a colony sim with exactly one mechanic, ends with a few dead colonies until you get the hang of it (big recommendation, by the way, very chill)

Hunter lodges are great, until you get the random event that cripples their production by 90%. I've literally never not gotten that one. It's starting to feel like these "random events" aren't actually random and that's the only one they have. I've also just straight up never found another steam core in the wild, despite my longest game thus far lasting to the second storm.

But I'd love to keep my sick people count low, too. But medical care is also kind of bad: it takes 5 people to staff one, and they can slowly heal 5 sick people (but not grievously sick people) but sometimes people getting medical care still get sicker even if they're warm and fed. The only way to heal those people is to go like three research tiers deep and get the medical upgrade, which can house ten people. Meanwhile no matter how warm my city is, how much food I have or how secure thing are, after a storm half my population always gets sick; then gets sicker because it takes as many people to staff the medical utilities as it can hold so unless all production is halted (which it's already being slowed due to the sick people) it's just flat out impossible to care for everyone. Also -70 happens like, fifteen days in and then the game never really goes above -30 or -40 after that and it only gets colder as you get more storms. So you're on a super tight time limit to get basically everything locked down or the first storm will turbo gently caress you.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, you're playing endless mode. Yea, they're fuckin bullshit, clearly made by the devs after people like me played the scenarios on the hardest difficulties and started :smug:ing about it, AKA Darkest Dungeon Syndrome

E: I really liked the scenarios (enough to complete them multiple times on challenge modes, anyway) and bounced off hard from endless. Survived my first storm and peaced out

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Mar 8, 2021

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

Islanders is great.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So Frost Punk is a really cool looking city builder game but as far as I can tell, it was developed by people who think the coolest way to play a game is to follow a wiki guide or fail over and over again for the most asinine reasons. The idea is that you have to manage all your resources to keep people alive; coal, to keep your town warm, wood and steel to build things, and food to feed your people. If they get cold they get sick, if they get sick they can't work and the biggest challenge is that it just keeps getting colder forever. But also sometimes people just get sick, because gently caress you. Also food, as a resource, costs way, way more than anything else, accrues slower and the most effective way to get it also has a higher, and nearly impossible to mitigate, chance of making people sick. If you get a random event that impacts your food production, it's basically game over because people will go hungry, which also makes them sick, which just leads to a spiral until you lose. Everything has enormous resource costs for minimal gain too. Like, the basic setup is that your town has a generator that keeps everyone warm and alive that consumes coal constantly. Every single upgrade for it increases its consumption by 100%, if you don't get these upgrades then any expansions you make will freeze, get sick, and gently caress you over the instant it gets cold. But don't worry; there are upgrades that decrease how much coal it consumes! By 10%. About a third through the upgrade tree.

Basically it feels like a cool idea spoiled by being developed under the design idea that if you don't do everything perfectly at all times, you're just never going to make it past the first speedbump because the instant it gets cold everyone's just going to get sick and die anyway, even if you have all of your temperatures maxed out because all it takes to get your entire population to get sick and die is to walk outside when it's cold. And it's always cold.

This kinda surprised me because I'm not very good at city builders. However, when playing the game I just played from start to end without those speedbumps. What I remember fondly is how the game was more focused on the cycle of increasing warmth/labour demand, rather than overcomplicated logistic-chains of like Anno or Pharaoh. It was less arranging a very complex puzzle and more ramping production with redundancies.

Did the game get difficulty-patched or something?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Playing Prey: Mooncrash... the rogue-lite version of Prey... was having a blast with my first run, felt I was doing good... then the game goes and introduces the Corruption mechanic... ugh. So what the Corruption Timer does is slowly fill a bar unless I can find items to decrease the corruption. When a bar fills, the game world bumps up in difficulty and respawns enemies. Once you max our Corruption Level 5, your run is ends and you are booted out of the simulation, forcing you to start over.

Okay, all good, I can deal.

Get used to the Corruption mechanic... do a few more runs, unlock some characters, complete some missions...

Then the game tells me it's speeding up the Corruption Timer. What the gently caress, game! This is already the lamest mechanic! Let me explore and loot poo poo!

At least it gave me a Mimic in a beanie. And a top hat...

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MiddleOne posted:

This kinda surprised me because I'm not very good at city builders. However, when playing the game I just played from start to end without those speedbumps. What I remember fondly is how the game was more focused on the cycle of increasing warmth/labour demand, rather than overcomplicated logistic-chains of like Anno or Pharaoh. It was less arranging a very complex puzzle and more ramping production with redundancies.

Did the game get difficulty-patched or something?

Saying you played "start to end" implies you played the (very good) scenario(s).
This guy is talking about Endless, which is a Bad Mode where they broke everything that worked, ramped the difficulty, and basically made the game suck.

Scenarios/story mode good, endless baaaaaaaaad

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sally posted:

Playing Prey: Mooncrash... the rogue-lite version of Prey... was having a blast with my first run, felt I was doing good... then the game goes and introduces the Corruption mechanic... ugh. So what the Corruption Timer does is slowly fill a bar unless I can find items to decrease the corruption. When a bar fills, the game world bumps up in difficulty and respawns enemies. Once you max our Corruption Level 5, your run is ends and you are booted out of the simulation, forcing you to start over.

Okay, all good, I can deal.

Get used to the Corruption mechanic... do a few more runs, unlock some characters, complete some missions...

Then the game tells me it's speeding up the Corruption Timer. What the gently caress, game! This is already the lamest mechanic! Let me explore and loot poo poo!

At least it gave me a Mimic in a beanie. And a top hat...

You'll eventually unlock the plan for that reset item so you can craft it at fabricators. It pretty much breaks the game. And I imagine the devs added it knowing it would.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
I felt the same about the timer at the start, I even put off buying Mooncrash because of it for a while. But to my mind it's not as bad as it seems - higher corruption levels give greater rewards, and when you start skilling up your characters (especially the engineer) the corruption becomes easy to manage.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha that's a relief to hear. i didn't think you could fabricate the delay timer but that'll be a reall gamechanger when i get it

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
huh also discovered that "boss" enemies drop delay timers like crazy--just picked up two from a single moon shark. started playing more aggressively to combat the corruption and the game is rewarding me.

seems i spoke to soon :shrug:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah once your guys start getting powerful skills, you'll find yourself zooming through the levels with goals in mind. I really liked it, despite absolutely haying timer mechanics.

Oh, remember though, only beat the entire thing (have everyone escape in a single run with no deaths) when you're absolutely done - once you do this, it's impossible to return to the simulation without restarting the whole game. Worst part of that dlc in my opinion.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Morpheus posted:

Oh, remember though, only beat the entire thing (have everyone escape in a single run with no deaths) when you're absolutely done - once you do this, it's impossible to return to the simulation without restarting the whole game. Worst part of that dlc in my opinion.

ahhh what the gently caress! this is the new little thing dragging this game down, haha! thanks for the heads up

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

You can use an engineer skill to disassemble one item to fabricate even if you haven't found its recipe. You can easily break the timer by making that one item a time delay.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Phigs posted:

You can use an engineer skill to disassemble one item to fabricate even if you haven't found its recipe. You can easily break the timer by making that one item a time delay.

:aaaaa:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Good GOD I hate the street bosses in Yakuza Kiwami 2.

So, quick rundown: there are three different types of random encounters you can fight in Kiwami 2. There's delinquents, which are piss-easy, thugs, which are a bit harder, and yakuza, which are the hardest but still not really a threat.

Early on in the game, you unlock street bosses. These are bonus mini-bosses that, in order to fight them, you need to first fight 5 groups of delinquents/thugs/yakuza in order for them to show up. There's 3 bosses associated with each enemy type, and a different set of bosses in both cities, for a total of 18 street bosses.

Here's the thing that really makes me go from 'whatever' to 'I hate this': the random encounters... are random. You have no control over what enemies spawn around you. The guide I'm following claims it's location-based, but I've still had thugs popping up in areas it says should spawn yakuza, so either it's lying or there's still a degree of randomness you have no control over. And the bosses don't give a gently caress about the enemy types they're not associated with; you can murder a billion delinquents and the you won't get any closer to challenging the yakuza bosses.

On top of that, there's no in-game list of which street bosses you've taken out. The closest you get is that, each time a boss becomes available, you get an email about it, but these emails don't actually mention the boss' name or what enemy type they were associated with. The only thing they give you is the location of the boss, so you end up having to loving cross reference the emails you have with a list of all the street bosses and their locations to see who you're missing.

And the crap icing on the poo poo cake is that there's a skill unlocked for beating all of the street bosses. That is not to say you get a skill for beating all of them. No, you get the ability to BUY a skill for beating all of them.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Trying to Platinum Death Stranding is starting to get real annoying. Most of the delivery receipiants are pretty simple: give them stuff and get level ups with them. A few, and the game never tells you, need you to read their emails to remove gating to their levels.

This is really obnoxious because you can deliver a huge load to them, perfectly and timely, only to realize they wanted you to read their stdh.text email rants first before delivering your load and you get no likes at all. And many of these emails don't pop up unless you rest at a shelter, which takes at least a minute.

Just let me deliver load after load Kojima! I'll read your stoned ideas eventually, but don't force me.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Evilreaver posted:

Saying you played "start to end" implies you played the (very good) scenario(s).
This guy is talking about Endless, which is a Bad Mode where they broke everything that worked, ramped the difficulty, and basically made the game suck.

Scenarios/story mode good, endless baaaaaaaaad

Yeah. The Devs should have avoided adding endless mode. It wasn't originally part of their development roadmap, they *knew* it wasn't going to be a good fit for the game mechanics they had made and then just put it out anyway because people wouldn't stop asking for it.

Never listen to gamers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sounds like a marketing issue. Unlock it by completing all the story missions (or through a cheat code), and name the mode 'hell freezes over'

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Never listen to gamers.

Please don't attempt to ensnare people within logical paradoxes

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

Please don't attempt to ensnare people within logical paradoxes

It's a.defense against bot posting.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Thundercracker posted:

This is really obnoxious because you can deliver a huge load to them, perfectly and timely, only to realize they wanted you to read their stdh.text email rants first before delivering your load and you get no likes at all.

The likes get queued up, if you've delivered enough to hit multiple gates just do lost cargo to trigger their dialogue and rocket to lv.5

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Been playing DooM Eternal after beating doom 2016. I am playing on the Ultra Violence difficulty, the game has been a good challenge except for a couple fights that I have died countless times on, almost feels like RNG a little but I am sure actually completing the area is just me playing better/cautiously.

Only things dragging the game is the cyber mancubus doing its AOE attack, and the loving marauder. Cyber mancubus AOE has prolly killed me more than anything else, at least on ultra violence it pretty much drains you from full health to dead in only a couple seconds.

The marauder should just be removed from the game, it feels like a failed dark souls boss. The game insists on midrange being the only way to attack but it seems midrange changes depending on the map. It turns the game from hectic run and gun into “okay time to grind the fun train to a halt so we can slog through the most unfun enemy in the game”. I would love the marauder if he just had the blocks everything shield removed.

I really enjoy this over doom 2016, it seems all the negative reviews I read seems they only beat maybe the first two levels then hosed off saying the game series was ruined.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Loop Hero requires too much attention for an autobattler, dangit. I can't listen to podcasts with this, too much to do! :argh:

Also I'm super bought into the story, but it seems like the kinda game that I'm not going to sufficiently "get" and won't be able to see the end :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Evilreaver posted:

Loop Hero requires too much attention for an autobattler, dangit. I can't listen to podcasts with this, too much to do! :argh:

Also I'm super bought into the story, but it seems like the kinda game that I'm not going to sufficiently "get" and won't be able to see the end :saddowns:

Loop Hero wound up being such a disappointment. Once you beat the first level you've basically seen everything the game has to offer and you're just going to be grinding that same content over and over for increasingly rare resources in large amounts to unlock small persistent upgrades. It would have been a much better game if they went to the trouble to hand-make a bunch of different levels and campaigns instead of throwing a bunch of cards at you and telling you to build your own fun.