Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Definitely wouldn't be pulling off any StealthGamerBR shenanigans, that's for sure :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Am I crazy for wanting Microsoft to buy Sega? It's not like Microsoft is a studio destroyer like EA. I mean they seem to be pretty good at buying a studio and letting them work on whatever they want. I mentioned supporting it on the Two Best Friends subreddit and they acted like I took my dick out at the salad bar.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
As a greedy dude who wants everything to be on Game Pass I definitely want it to happen. Can't complain too much though, having all the Yakuza games on there is pretty impressive already.

It would probably be a net negative for the industry as a whole which is why it got the reactions it did, but you just gotta be honest with yourself and say that doesn't matter to you as long as it means you get the games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It would not be good if Microsoft bought Sega. It should not happen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Am I crazy for wanting Microsoft to buy Sega? It's not like Microsoft is a studio destroyer like EA.

Rare wants a word

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Consolidation of media is bad generally.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Microsoft destroys game studios and really popular IP's. Halo, and Gears of War were massively popular system selling killer apps on Xbox 360 until Microsoft bought them, and now no one cares. Rare was regarded as one of the best game developers in the 90s while they were under Nintendo, and every since they joined Microsoft, they really haven't made a good game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sega should buy xbox imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nobody should buy an Xbox :grin:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

microsoft just had to buy up these like two dozen studios because they killed their entire last crop

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

microsoft just had to buy up these like two dozen studios because they killed their entire last crop

Yeah the knives were out from 2014-2015

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

there’s still a large hole in the BC program that’s roughly shaped like my 360 library. Microsoft please fix

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sea of Thieves is far and away Rare's biggest hit

Kinect Sports was also a multimillion seller. I assume Kinect Sports 2 sold like dirty rags though

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 13, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I can see why some people would be upset about Persona no longer being an exclusive series I guess but that's one of the main reasons I'd be down with Sega being bought. Microsoft is pretty chill and would allow more games like Sonic Mania to be made which would be a good thing as well. They know to let studios thrive now so if anyone's gonna buy them I'd definitely prefer MS than anyone else. Other companies in a position to do so have a history of shutting down a lot of really good studios, whereas Microsoft seems like more of a safety net these days where you know your library is safe and there's more variety of genres in the studios they own than anywhere else. I like that they're letting their devs experiment more as well and sure they have their core franchises but nothing's locked. Rare put out Sea of Thieves, they bought Obsidian who make great RPGs and they're trying out an entirely new genre, and Playground Games now have a second studio taking a crack at a Fable game. Their experimentation with IPs is fun as well, like the Minecraft Dungeons spinoff or Gears Tactics which owns, and even Halo of all IPs having RTS games made.

I think Sega's definitely preparing for a sale, so rather MS than anyone else since that's where they'll be safest and able to carry on with their output. Other potential buyers have too many devs in their graveyards, with the only exception I can think of being Take Two maybe? They're looking to acquire and expand as well and missed out on Codemasters before EA swooped in at the last second.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly Sega's PC publishing seems like the big thing they would bring to the table + Yakuza + Persona.

Oh and we could hopefully finally get Dreamcast backwards compatability.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Barudak posted:

Sea of Thieves is far and away Rare's biggest hit

Isn't that mostly because the market's so much bigger now?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

I can see why some people would be upset about Persona no longer being an exclusive series I guess

These people are weirdos. All the persona games should be on Switch. There’s a few and 4 is on PC so maybe in a hundred years, P5R will be on Xbox X2

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, Phil probably really likes the Total War games that Creative Assembly have been putting out. Shame they lost the Alien license though because Alien Isolation was great. MS have been very vocal about wanting a Japanese studio however and Sega definitely makes the most sense.

I was wondering about Relic Entertainment as well since Company of Heroes is good and the first two Dawn of War games are incredibly fun, and it turns out Microsoft already has them working on Age of Empires IV for them. I hope they take a crack at making a fourth Dawn of War game sometime since although the third was pants the first two were really great games. First (and all the DLC packs) was a solid traditional RTS but DoW2 took a really interesting approach with the shift from base building to more focus on micro-managing units and all of their abilities. There's still a dedicated community to this day adding more maps/races/units etc. and even watching matches is entertaining.

So many good memories of playing Dawn of War 2 multiplayer :allears:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

These people are weirdos. All the persona games should be on Switch. There’s a few and 4 is on PC so maybe in a hundred years, P5R will be on Xbox X2

It's still odd how P4 and P5 Strikers are on PC but not P5/P5R. I think it's inevitable however. I'm just glad the Xbox BC program kept Persona 4 Arena even if the sequel never made the cut. Arc System Works are incredible devs but they're obviously busy with Guilty Gear Strive and wrapping up support for Dragonball FighterZ right now with the millionth Goku DLC character and I'm bummed we'll probably never see a Persona 5 Arena from them.

Capcom should let them take a crack at Marvel vs. Capcom 4 :swoon:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Isn't that mostly because the market's so much bigger now?

I mean, even accounting for a larger market it completely dwarfs their past work and was a smash hit sales wise years competing in said wider market despite also being a success on game pass.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Am I crazy for wanting Microsoft to buy Sega? It's not like Microsoft is a studio destroyer like EA. I mean they seem to be pretty good at buying a studio and letting them work on whatever they want. I mentioned supporting it on the Two Best Friends subreddit and they acted like I took my dick out at the salad bar.

Most of the studios Microsoft has bought in their big spree haven’t been under them long enough to put out a single game - and even then we’re already seeing signs of trouble. They’ve absolutely been a studio destroyer on par with if not worse than EA as recently as three or four years ago.

It’s bad enough that Microsoft’s response to the (correct) criticism of “Xbox One has no exclusives” was to just buy a ton of existing studios (many of which were doing fine!) instead of investing in new talent.

Like look at Halo Infinite and tell me Microsoft offers healthy development environments.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halo Infinite's problems so far appear to be too relaxed an environment and they didn't clean house on 343 after the MCC collection.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Halo Infinite seems pretty healthy? Microsoft has given 343 a lot of time to work on the game and despite being scheduled as a launch release they gave them an extra year when they asked for it, and it looks like it's paying off judging by what we've been shown so far. Turn 10 was on a schedule where a new Forza Motorsport game was due as well but they've obviously requested more time and been granted it without issue, they haven't even hinted at a launch date yet. Microsoft isn't just buying existing studios either but also creating new ones as well, such as The Initiative with a lot of quality talent (seriously, it's a really impressive list of people who flocked to that studio) and also The Coalition who have taken over the Gears IP and been doing a great job after Epic nearly killed it.

I don't see what trouble there has been? I know 343 saw a couple of people leave but at the same time you could point at a studio like Naughty Dog who has seen a lot of major roles leave the studio over the years with a reputation for being a very toxic and unpleasant place to work (never mind the sexual harassment scandals etc.) with a revolving door of staff since they cannot retain talent due to horrific crunch, but they still managed to put out TLOU2 to critical success, even if it had to be delayed.

For Microsoft to tell the developers of one of the biggest IPs in gaming to take their time and not rush getting a new release out the door is very indicative of a healthy development environment. They definitely seem anti-crunch at the very least, which is a rarity in the industry.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They probably gave them extra time because what they showed got laughed off the internet.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Very fair point, but I can think of many others that would either shut them down or just push the game out anyways. For Microsoft to say "Have an extra year" is healthy, imo. The fact that 343 didn't freak out and actually took the feedback to heart and could even laugh about the Craig the Brute meme indicates that they have a healthy development environment as well, usually studios get very defensive and uptight in those kind of situations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They probably gave them extra time because what they showed got laughed off the internet.

:|

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dishonoured 2 was laggy as hell the last time I played it which was on my one X.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Just noticed the draw distance is busted as well there, the mountains in the background aren't even rendering properly. I hope there's some decent environmental variety in the game since Halo 4 & 5 did a good job with this, but a concern for Infinite singleplayer is if the whole ring looks like that which will get old really quickly. I think they went too crazy with those hexagon rocks as well, they look far too basic compared to prior Halo titles where they weren't perfect and essentially copy & pasted models but instead all had unique properties and appeared more natural. 343 are good at designing traditional Halo wide-linear levels but it seems they're going really big for this and more akin to Destiny-sized environments. Will probably be great from a gameplay perspective but I wonder if the artists will be strained too much from the scale of it. Craig definitely looks strained.

Imagine if they let id Software take a crack at Halo :stare:

Probably a good combo, actually. Let id handle singleplayer which they excel at and let 343 handle multiplayer which is where they excel.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just over here still crying about Ensemble games and FASA

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I mean the best chance for more Atlus games on PC is a Microsoft buyout.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the microsoft fans have gotten too gassed up about a non-catastrophic console launch this is ridiculous

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

14 Sentinels, exclusive to the Xbox Series X-2 361

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I found this kind of irritating though I haven't fully tested it. If you have a drive selected as the default install drive, when you download a patch for a game it will install the whole game there, even if you have it in another location. I ended up with a bunch of games installed on both drives.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

graventy posted:

I found this kind of irritating though I haven't fully tested it. If you have a drive selected as the default install drive, when you download a patch for a game it will install the whole game there, even if you have it in another location. I ended up with a bunch of games installed on both drives.

This hasn't been my experience. I have an external USB SSD as my default install drive and I'm not having multiple copies of games all over the place. Are you on an Insiders build?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement xbox360 fan? I have mine on my desk now for Tiger Woods 09/NCAA 14/Rock Band 3 fun times every now and then, and I'm boy is the fan noise distracting.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zerot posted:

This hasn't been my experience. I have an external USB SSD as my default install drive and I'm not having multiple copies of games all over the place. Are you on an Insiders build?

I think I am, and I had my internal as default.

I didn't really have a chance to investigate I was just irritated to find my drive complaining about being full, only to discover two copies of a bunch of mp games I should probably not have bothered installing in the first place.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Man they sure want you using the Batmobile all the time in Arkham Knight.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Man they sure want you using the Batmobile all the time in Arkham Knight.

Stealth.
Tanks.
Missions

:blastu:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Every stealth tank mission becomes trivial once you realize you can use the drone hack on them.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

the start of 1 is probably the worst part of the game. it gets better for sure. also you don't need to bother burning corpses

Yeah I forgot how rough the first part of Evil Within 1 is. It gets good once you unlock guns and can kick the asses of the dudes who hunt you at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So you actually do stealth missions in the Batmobile?