Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/steven_swinford/status/1370658726580006913?s=21

Countdown to Labour opposing this in the name of appearing fiscally responsible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We used cardboard boxes to move stuff at home so dad could have a bed downstairs before he died, and I swore 'never again'.

It's rare to be able to use them for more than one move, and when you have for example books which are very heavy, you can only put a few in each box and if it's raining or whatever and the bottom drops out of the box - bleurgh. The crates, I rented them for 8 weeks and gave them back after 4 weeks and got a partial refund.
Also, I didn't have any bookcases etc, so I bought a set of 3 bays of shelving (no bolts required) off Big Dug, piled all my stuff onto those (one of my friends was like - why not just put everything in bin bags and sort at your leisure - well hello I don't want to look like shitsville here let alone my flat being absolutely tiny and if my stuff was just in bin bags it would have covered every inch of floor space.).
I eventually had twin track shelves put up last September (was supposed to happen in March, but you know, covid etc) - well out of the range of any potential flooding. And then sold the Big Dugs on.

I used this company for the crate hire: https://www.cratehire-uk.co.uk/

VVV I know.

Wish I'd known this before my last move! Cardboard boxes are the devil's spawn and we were constantly terrified the bottom was going to come out of them even if they were only half full.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My partner works at a box factory so when we moved she just went in and picked up like 50 heavy-duty potato boxes for free 😎

The boxes they sell you at self-storage places or whatever are all shite and way below spec for anything slightly heavy, that’s why everybody is having an awful time with them

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I have absorbed a lot of information about cardboard by osmosis over the past few years

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/steven_swinford/status/1370658726580006913?s=21

Countdown to Labour opposing this in the name of appearing fiscally responsible

I'll believe the tories when I see it but huge lol that the predictions they might outflank Labour from the left are proving so prescient

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But what about the business rate holiday extension.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

New pod's out for your weekend enjoyment:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1370702247219331073?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NFTs? Neo Feudal Technocracy mate

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol if you "enjoy" things

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

peanut- posted:

This is the angle that our national newspaper of record decided is the most important part of the vaccination story.

This country is sick in the head.

For a second I was like "wait a minute, there aren't that many people on the world, did they confuse millions with billions" and then I remembered it was a British newspaper, so they probably meant money

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

I've barely stopped laughing at the Elizabeth class carrier and the F35s from your last pod, hopefully this one is as funny.

Fascist gets thrown around a lot these days, but the government banning all protests that cause disruption to business feels like an actual precursor to fascism.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it’s too windy

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

bump_fn posted:

it’s too windy

I live in a Victorian house built in 1908 and the windows have never been updated. It's windy inside. :(

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's a terrible name for them. Just awful.

It's in Shakespeare though.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Surprise T Rex posted:

I live in a Victorian house built in 1908 and the windows have never been updated. It's windy inside. :(

lol yeah i don’t miss my old flat that did this

on the other hand apparently the apartment buildings roof had a build flaw and the wood in the roof is rotting through and they had to put up scaffolding with a tarp to fully cover the roof to repair it so sleeping sounds like you’re in a plastic bad taped to a jet engine

but the landlord is the one who has to shell out tens of thousands in repair costs so at least my rent isn’t paying his mortgage

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

bump_fn posted:

but the landlord is the one who has to shell out tens of thousands in repair costs so at least my rent isn’t paying his mortgage

Sorry about next years 500% rent increase.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lungboy posted:

I've barely stopped laughing at the Elizabeth class carrier and the F35s from your last pod, hopefully this one is as funny.

Fascist gets thrown around a lot these days, but the government banning all protests that cause disruption to business feels like an actual precursor to fascism.

This is just making the legal excuse easier. Police can and have been doing this for ages. "oops you assaulted a cop we all saw it, break it up!"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

sinky posted:

Sorry about next years 500% rent increase.

lol v:smith:v

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

We are going all in on far right anti civil rights stuff, good thing we have a forensic lawyer as head of the opposition who can defend them

Oh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Surprise T Rex posted:

Lots you can do with that cling film stuff that you apply to window panes, or a lil bit of silicone to fill gaps or the lil foam runners you can put into the frame. All stuff that costs a couple quid for much more cosiness, and requires almost zero DIY skill

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Surprise T Rex posted:

We have nothing but single glazed sash windows but luckily being thoroughly middle class the Scottish Government is giving us a massive loan to pay for us to have them all made into double glazing.

Though not as much as they're lending us to update out heating, we can get a £10,000 loan to cover the work, which they give us back £7,500 back as a grant so effectively we're borrowing £2,500. The quirk is you get the loan 'after' the work in completed so if you don't have £10,000 in the first place you can go gently caress yourself.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah we're borrowing money from my mum to have it done (and trying to plan a wedding at the same time, lol help me my money is disappearing).

Scheduled in for May, cannot loving wait.

This is after having to replace the roof last year because even though we had done a survey when we bought the house the roofer clearly just never had a look, and went "yeah it's fine, normal wear and tear" on a slate roof with holes in it that had never been replaced since the house was built either.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1370713754959183876?s=20

This is hilarious. The Indy has found someone claiming to be a Marquess of Annaville, a title that doesn't exist, & they clearly couldn't even be arsed checking.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

dugs where i'm from is an unfortunate name for boobs

crispix posted:

the idea of paying for cardboard boxes is just offensive to me tbh
:same:

Am thinking of getting some nice sized plastic baskets for under the sink though, just replaced some of the pipework recently and its reminded me how much shite there is under there.

Aramoro posted:

We have nothing but single glazed sash windows but luckily being thoroughly middle class the Scottish Government is giving us a massive loan to pay for us to have them all made into double glazing.
Are you keeping them as sash? You can get some nice double glazed sash windows now.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

To me, dugs (Dougs) are shits. Cockney Rhyming Slang innit

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
We suggested to our landlord that he might want to take advantage of the free £3000 from the Mayor of London's warmer homes scheme to improve the house he rents to us. He came round and ranted at us about how "tenants don't do that" and we were probably plotting to steal his house from him

It's been another chilly winter of astronomical heating bills

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Anyone who's paid actual cash money for a cardboard box has been had. I dread to think how much the cardboard box inspector fees were on top of the purchase price.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's fine as long as you can sell it to someone else for 20% more in 5 years time.

London works the same way.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1370713754959183876?s=20

This is hilarious. The Indy has found someone claiming to be a Marquess of Annaville, a title that doesn't exist, & they clearly couldn't even be arsed checking.

The story is utterly convincing, but also utter madness.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Maugrim posted:

We suggested to our landlord that he might want to take advantage of the free £3000 from the Mayor of London's warmer homes scheme to improve the house he rents to us. He came round and ranted at us about how "tenants don't do that" and we were probably plotting to steal his house from him

It's been another chilly winter of astronomical heating bills

You can apply for that yourself but you'll need the landlord to ok it unfortunately.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

London works the same way.

I believe I already said cardboard box

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

willie_dee posted:

The story is utterly convincing, but also utter madness.

I think they've taken it down, you can still see the headline on their website but when you click through the story isn't there. It's cached for anyone else who wants to read it, though: https://webcache.googleusercontent....n&ct=clnk&gl=no

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Where was all this very useful information and links about renting moving boxes a week ago?!

Related: London tap water sucks

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Lungboy posted:

You can apply for that yourself but you'll need the landlord to ok it unfortunately.

Sounds more like Maugrim's landlord has that bizarre emotional attachment that small-scale landlords seem to develop, where they get very upset at the idea of you doing anything to "their" property, don't like you thinking of it as "your home" because it's not yours, it's theirs.

Give me a cartoon landlord who's only motivated by money over one of them.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Niric posted:

Where was all this very useful information and links about renting moving boxes a week ago?!

Related: London tap water sucks

it took me a while to get used to it, a brita jug worked in the meantime

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

big scary monsters posted:

I think they've taken it down, you can still see the headline on their website but when you click through the story isn't there. It's cached for anyone else who wants to read it, though: [url]https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Le-GTDyJutAJ:https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/meghan-markle-black-british-harry-oprah-b1816497.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=no[/url]

I’ve tried to see if I can follow it in any way, but the guy is claiming to be married to one of the many children of a king in Swaziland, and has then given himself a random title to link him to uk royalty?!

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

willie_dee posted:

I’ve tried to see if I can follow it in any way, but the guy is claiming to be married to one of the many children of a king in Swaziland, and has then given himself a random title to link him to uk royalty?!

Worked for Idi Amin.

Last time I checked, there were, Meghan aside, literally zero people who could credibly be described as both ‘black’ and ‘British aristocracy’. A couple of Dukes with one black great-great-grandparent, and a couple of other people who just bought, or outright claimed, titles.

I don’t want to risk jumping to any rash conclusions based on that, but it is possible there is a bit of structural racism going on.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Lungboy posted:

That's exactly what we were hoping to do, we were literally just giving him a heads up and asking for his permission to go ahead with it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bobstar posted:

Sounds more like Maugrim's landlord has that bizarre emotional attachment that small-scale landlords seem to develop, where they get very upset at the idea of you doing anything to "their" property, don't like you thinking of it as "your home" because it's not yours, it's theirs.

Give me a cartoon landlord who's only motivated by money over one of them.

Yes, a classic landlord convo from when I was a student, over a bit of collapsed masonry:

"Why on earth would we kick our own front doorstep in?"
"It's not your front doorstep, it's MY front doorstep!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

willie_dee posted:

I think he's claiming to be an aristocrat in his own right, who happens to be married to a prince. If you look up the name of his supposed royal husband you won't find much except some social media stuff belonging to someone who almost certainly is not a prince, and an extremely dubious wiki page whose author's only other contribution is to the page on Alexander Maier-Dlamini.