Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

So, was that tease of Savarna in the jail just that? It's been a month since we've seen her, right?

As for Allison, I purchased all the £1 offerings he had. I might start with volume five since the cover art looks good and I recognize the characters from Giant Days. The artist has earned $15 from me over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

I'm secure enough to say I laughed at a loving Intelligent Life just because it's in-jokey enough to have come from this thread and its posters. Also Jock giving Nerd the appropriate amount of counter-sass he deserves.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

riderchop posted:

you think this one's about fuckin

I reckon

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

El Spamo posted:

Ok, it's annoying because Bernice is actually doing a good here. Tara was hit by a car and should be examined by a doctor or paramedic or someone. Definitely get that knee checked out.

But because this is a poo poo comic, it's going to be about the EMTs fawning over Bernice because she's having a meltdown and Bernice turning herself inside-out because she looked at and was touched by a hot EMT.

I am expecting Jack to be one of the EMTs, regardless of the fact he has not been shown to be an EMT before.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set wears them hard.

Working Daze needs to just ignore this lazy rear end in a top hat.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is an ancient fear.

Cul De Sac is just happy to help!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All I really liked this one today for some reason

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

boy did I read this the wrong way at first

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (April 6, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 8, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 27, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 19, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 19, 1935)

Dark Laughter (January 16, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (January 11, 1948)

Those Were the Days (February 7, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (June 10, 1965)

Wee Pals (June 10, 1965)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slammy posted:

Dinky Fellas (June 10, 1965)

Morrie Turner is easily my favorite of all the older artists these threads introduced me to.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (February 7, 1952)

OK, this one got me. :allears:

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze needs to just ignore this lazy rear end in a top hat.

But enough about the authors...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The_Other posted:

(as well as lacking the supernatural / paranormal elements some people seem to dislike that show up in the Bad Machinery cases.)

This makes no sense to me. That's what makes them fun.

One point in favor of this theory is that searching for "Heathcliff Monday" did turn up a picture of Heathcliff in some trash with a clothespin on his nose saying "Mondays stink!"

However, this picture seems to be from the old artist of Heathcliff. The current artist has a different take.

In Heathcliff lore, we know Heathcliff wears helmets of things he enjoys: ham, gravy, nap, ape, beer, family, hey, ween, etc. Since he is wearing a helmet that says Monday, we can conclude that Heathcliff is in fact fine with Mondays. And yes, the caption says "I hate Mondays" but the bird in the tree is the one saying that, not Heathcliff.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Morrie Turner is easily my favorite of all the older artists these threads introduced me to.

He ruled. So smart and so sweet.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Thank heavens he didn't live to see Donnie being elected president.

In today's Blueberry: Crowe rolls a twenty on that charisma check, or Crowe forgets that people can rotate 180 degrees, or Graig's expression in that last panel is priceless

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

Hitz and Mrs. (December 27, 1923)

I love this way of handling a strip transition.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Dark Side of the Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Howard Beale posted:

I love this way of handling a strip transition.

Yeah, it feels very clever for its time!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SubNat posted:

I assume that means college/university then? Interesting either way.
Is it like a ceremonial thing within the frats? Here in Norway they're only relevant for ~april -> May 17th for the last grade of highschoolers, as part of the Russe-uniform.
Something like it, the kind of frat I'm thinking of is generally extremely big on tradition and ceremony and the hats are just part of it, plus they're generally a fringe part of academic culture.

Our high schoolers are generally extremely casual, I've never heard of any class wearing a uniform, but there is a tradition of having class t-shirts made at least among Gymnasium graduates, which is the highest level of upper secondary education. Generally they'll have the graduation year printed on them, often also a list of your classmates, and usually some kind of motto that's often a silly pun on Abi (short for Abitur which is the qualification you receive). There's no fixed design or anything, it's all very light-hearted and relaxed.

:eng101:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Strontium posted:

Quite true. Back in the old days cords were very helpful in limiting the damage you could do to your controllers via video game rage.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Some Guy TT posted:

Quite true. Back in the old days cords were very helpful in limiting the damage you could do to your controllers via video game rage.

lmao at people who threw their controllers instead of twisting them until they heard cracks and realized they were maybe TOO mad at a PS2 game

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Johnny Walker posted:

No reason to be ashamed of your night of passion, Curly and Stiffy.

I honestly cant see another explanation.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The comic skips a chapter where István spends some time at the Perttilä farm and has a strange and overwhelming feeling of familiarity with strong implications that he was the old Larsson's son (brother of Maria and those seven who died in the war) who was kidnapped by the cossacks.

We also skip some political scheming by Torsten Bertelsköld.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 13, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (February 14-18, 2000)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well now I'm wondering how old Fenton is. The lack of parents and flippant response to the idea of going back to school suggests he's college age. Or does it? Vin was doing the job too and he was...wait a minute, he was in Rudy's school, so he should be way younger than any of them! Did the birds seriously kidnap a middle school student to do whatever it was they couldn't just source from other birds?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
At the very start of the strip, Rudy and Bruno and Fiona were in their last year of junior high, so 13-14; Lindesfarne was 16-17, so she was a sophomore or junior in high school; and judging by the context, Vin is a year or two older than Rudy et al, and Fenton is a year older than Lindesfarne. And about a in-strip year has passed since then. So:

Rudy, Bruno, Fiona, Corrie: 14-15 (freshies in high school, except for Corrie who's not attending)
Vin: 15-17 (sophomore or junior)
Lindesfarne: 17-18 (senior)
Fenton: 18-19 (was a senior when he got nabbed by the birds, decided not to go back to school afterwards)

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

He is the worst.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So Fenton doesn't remember the past year he spent working in Microsoft, which includes the experiences and skills he learned from it, and he still managed to get the job in Kevin's startup company. Nepotism strikes again in Holbrook's comics.

Also, it's a bit messed up how both Lindesfarne and Fenton acknowledge that he spent an entire year missing and doesn't have any memories about it, and the two just picked up their relationship where it left off. No talking about Lindesfarne's grief of losing her boyfriend and the months she spent trying to find him, or Fenton losing an entire year of his life while the people around him have moved on with their lives. Lindesfarne got in the way of the birds's masterplan because she was too curious about the domestication gene, yet somehow she's not even interested in the mystery right in front of her eyes.

I guess nothing really matters so long as Holbrook gets to make his toys smooch and pregnant. :v:

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I don't know why but it's surprising, but pleasant, to see a Something Positive reference in the comic.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Crab Dad posted:

I honestly cant see another explanation.

I think the intent is they're just unused to being in such fancy surroundings instead of a ramshackle bunk room or sleeping outside on the ground.

E: they'll have their night of passion after they're used to the feeling of a downy pillow and the luxury of a full mattress and comforter.

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 13, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

*slaps everyone's hands away from their mouse*

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics
Terry and the Pirates, so racist caricatures ahoy

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

That is hysterical!