Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Bloop posted:

I wonder which firefighters will show up
Oh goddammit I didn't even think of that.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I believe that is Rene on the wanted poster. Belluso is his last name.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was this Mary Worth plotline written by a dog?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Regarding Luann, I’d like to point out that Bernice manages to start all her sentences with “I” in that whole strip. I found that to be pretty funny and not the least bit surprising.

Yes, the form it took was different than I expected, but she is still pulling the spotlight as hard as she can. (My mistake was thinking there was a place in her heart for self-reflection or remorse. Oh, what a fool.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

but you what why would you

why would you need the license plate when you know it's your cousin

who you lived with and definitely know the address whah

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 12, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

but you what why would you

why would you need the license plate when you know it's your cousin

who you lived with and definitely know the address whah

could also be a stolen car?

who knows, its all dumb

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Did anybody catch the license plate of the car my cousin owns? PS I know where my cousin lives because I had to move out to avoid being around them"

efb

Vargo posted:

Wallace

Second panel Spud

Please tell me this is all setup so that Sunday's strip is going to - somehow - be equivalent to a TikTok

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JethroMcB posted:

Second panel Spud

:laffo: thank you for pointing that out

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah, this new story lacks whatever bad machinery had. I don't really care for the style tbh.

I haven't read Steeple so I can't speak to that, but this, NEMS and Wicked Things have all felt like lesser works,

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

Please tell me this is all setup so that Sunday's strip is going to - somehow - be equivalent to a TikTok
Oh I hope. In fact if that is not the payoff then I'm sorry but Rivera is bad at the job. Yes, many other creators wouldn't think of setting it up like that either and they are also bad at the job.

The Bloop posted:

could also be a stolen car?
I guess but

"We arrested your cousin, turns out the car she ran you over with was stolen, too."

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (May 18, 1990)

Russeluer are a thing over in Finland too? You learn something new every day.
I'm kind of curious what started the whole graduation-cap thing, if it's a staple all across scandinavia.

Moomin Goes Wild West

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SubNat posted:

Russeluer are a thing over in Finland too? You learn something new every day.
I'm kind of curious what started the whole graduation-cap thing, if it's a staple all across scandinavia.

Back in the olden times university students had to wear an uniform and the cap is a leftover from that. Or that's at least the Finnish story.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

As someone who just started paying attention to those comics, I can’t say i don’t enjoy Circus Windows. I really like the art and color, but the story is, definitely lacking.

Like, we the readers know that something is going on, since that guy got roughed up, but as far as they know, the circus has procured a way to put up posters at random places.

Sssssssssooooooooo?

The real story is Mildred getting Lottie out of her funk.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kennel posted:

Back in the olden times university students had to wear an uniform and the cap is a leftover from that. Or that's at least the Finnish story.

Interesting, seems like they were used in Denmark in the 1700s+, which probably formed the basis for them in tradition.
In Norway we started using them in 1905, supposedly being inspired by german students wearing them a year prior.

Are they still a thing in Germany? I imagine there's got to be some germans kicking around in the thread.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

I don't comment about Modesty much but I'm thoroughly going to enjoy her and Garvin murdering all these idiots like Predator

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (August 18, 1933)

Peanuts (March 15, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean: Yesterday was the gag's "big payoff". Now we have two days open to let this sequence fizzle out like a wet fuse.

She married a professional comic book artist. Why wouldn't she think he's a nerd?

Crankshaft

"Classic" Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 12, 1937)

Out Our Way (April 9-11, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (May 7-9, 1917)

(spoilered for mild stereotyping)

Dok's "Putt Putt" Duck (June 30, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 12, 2021

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Quick question - are any of the materials in the Scary Go Round collections here:

https://gumroad.com/scarygoround?sort=page_layout

Available on one of Allison's sites? Thinking about picking those up if not.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

loving :rip:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 5, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 5, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 5, 1989)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

you think this one's about fuckin

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard, as I've been instructed that the sharks would have massive dongs if they were male, i'm proud to announce these are lesbian sharks, or gay sharks without penises! Take your pick!

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

No reason to be ashamed of your night of passion, Curly and Stiffy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean: Yesterday was the gag's "big payoff". Now we have two days open to let this sequence fizzle out like a wet fuse.

She married a professional comic book artist. Why wouldn't she think he's a nerd?

What a terrible loving relationship these two have. Not only does he not bother to tell his (wife/girlfriend/gently caress buddy/whatever) that he needs glasses, but she's so vapid that she thinks "glasses == nerd"?

I didn't think it could get dumber than that storyline from a few years ago when Westviewers thought that anyone other than their little community would give a poo poo about someone airing their town's (probably pretty tame) dirty laundry on Youtube.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (July 5, 2009)

I don't know whether to sigh more about it only being 12 years or it already being 12 years since twitter

technically it was founded in 2006 so it'd be 15 years but whatever

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

riderchop posted:

something something moustache rides

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Luanne-iverse: Hit by a car == Walk it off

B Kliban

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

riderchop posted:

1: it's probably just about hugging and kissing this time.
2: they could be trans masc sharks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm enjoying this Mark Trail strip because it feels legit? Like, Mark isn't writing off Rusty's newfangled technology nonsense - I mean he was at first, but he's actually listening and willing to try it out. That's sweet, and I hope it goes well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ah man, I forgot to turn my monitor on again.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm enjoying this Mark Trail strip because it feels legit? Like, Mark isn't writing off Rusty's newfangled technology nonsense - I mean he was at first, but he's actually listening and willing to try it out. That's sweet, and I hope it goes well.

it's also cute that rusty's so excited to tell him how to do the thing he likes

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 24th, 1940

Axa

I suspect that critical thinking might not have been part of the curriculum in the dome.

Edit:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze gets meta about lazy character building.

I loving hate these ones because they show that it doesn't have to look as loving dogshit as it does and yet, they choose to keep it that way. Like, they're not good, don't get me wrong, but I'd much rather look at that than the non-euclidean bullshit it normally is.

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 12, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Hostile V posted:

1: it's probably just about hugging and kissing this time.
2: they could be trans masc sharks.

:hmmyes:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Comic Strips 2021: Crazy People Amusing Themselves

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SubNat posted:

Are they still a thing in Germany? I imagine there's got to be some germans kicking around in the thread.
In fraternities, yeah. Which themselves are at once completely different from and oddly similar to a US fraternity.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

B Kliban is mostly completely incomprehensible to me but I got a good laugh out of this one.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Johnny Walker posted:

No reason to be ashamed of your night of passion, Curly and Stiffy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

catlord posted:

I loving hate these ones because they show that it doesn't have to look as loving dogshit as it does and yet, they choose to keep it that way. Like, they're not good, don't get me wrong, but I'd much rather look at that than the non-euclidean bullshit it normally is.
I never noticed this before, but back in the original strip the artist was getting top billing.

Which is appropriate, because they clearly put more effort into the comic than Zakour.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

In fraternities, yeah. Which themselves are at once completely different from and oddly similar to a US fraternity.

I assume that means college/university then? Interesting either way.
Is it like a ceremonial thing within the frats? Here in Norway they're only relevant for ~april -> May 17th for the last grade of highschoolers, as part of the Russe-uniform.

I am here for Curly and Stiffy, as well as the wonderful shark couple/s.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 12, 1944)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Re: Circus Windows storyline, I would agree that the "mystery" Mildred presented to Lottie (how did the circus get all those posters in all those empty shop windows?) is pretty weak and probably has a mundane explanation, although I do feel that there is another, potentially more sinister mystery that the circus is hiding. I would also agree that Mildred is mainly using this mystery to cheer Lottie up.

Transmodiar posted:

Quick question - are any of the materials in the Scary Go Round collections here:

https://gumroad.com/scarygoround?sort=page_layout

Available on one of Allison's sites? Thinking about picking those up if not.

Allison took down all of the Scary Go Round comics from his website. The only webcomic that is still up online and for sale on Gumroad is Bobbins.horse. With the Scary Go Round comics I find the later ones are better, as Allison improved both his art and writing. Some of the earlier stories often crammed too many characters and plot lines together. I would maybe start with the last book, Recklessly Yours as that features the first appearances of five of the six Bad Machinery kids (Mildred doesn't show up until the first Bad Machinery story). I would also recommend Murder She Writes which is a really good murder mystery starring Lottie (as well as lacking the supernatural / paranormal elements some people seem to dislike that show up in the Bad Machinery cases.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
the phantom should be luchadores beating up fascists 24/7, really