Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

I'll meet you at that Safeway but only if we go up and over Mount Hamilton

I'm down. Difficult for me to get a whole day for a ride like that on a weekend, though. I become a single dad around 3pm on most Fridays, which is why I spend weekends with this poo poo and not riding more. I can do Mt Umunhum pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

:doh:

I tried putting tape on the nipple, I tried a little suction, I tried a lot of suction.

Mods?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

:doh:

I tried putting tape on the nipple, I tried with all the different adapters that came with the bleeder, I tried a little suction, I tried a lot of suction.

Now, six months later, the answer.

And in fact the great satan, copper grease, is useful for nipple threads to reduce bubbles. Not recommended doing it on wet calipers though, just at the next strip and clean.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had to take a little editorial liberty with it to make it fit in the text length, I barfed a couple times but I got the job done

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Only sat for maybe a month, no issues firing right back up. Cleaned the chain. I need to get a lift or something. I seem to remember I used to give a poo poo enough to not do things like this.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Why did you lift it like that? Did you swap the tires on both wheels at the same time?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Get the rear off the pavement with a floor jack. The lift point on the jack is tiny, meant for cars, and it’s not stable at all with the KLR. So I just leaned it against the truck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

... Why didn't you just use the jack + side stand as a tripod :psyduck:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

No poo poo. You're KLRing wrong.

E: Bonus crutch that got converted into a jack for the ShitBike

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 25, 2021

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Truck felt more stable and also it didn’t occur to me 🤷🏼‍♂️

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

And in fact the great satan, copper grease, is useful for nipple threads to reduce bubbles. Not recommended doing it on wet calipers though, just at the next strip and clean.

Would plumber's tape (PTFE) on the threads be a better choice there?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Would plumber's tape (PTFE) on the threads be a better choice there?

I've seen this done but never done it myself, I have worked on bikes that had it though. It was....I guess technically fine, maybe better than copper in terms of bubble reduction, but the stiffness and limited number of open-shut cycles before it gets shredded put me off.

I use that stuff on other poo poo though. Mostly air tools.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've seen this done but never done it myself, I have worked on bikes that had it though. It was....I guess technically fine, maybe better than copper in terms of bubble reduction, but the stiffness and limited number of open-shut cycles before it gets shredded put me off.

I use that stuff on other poo poo though. Mostly air tools.

Duh, I'd completely forgot the open/shut cycles when you bleed, I think because people were talking about vacuum bleeding where you normally only open and shut it once, but even then you're right it's something that does need to be moved so taping the threads is just making more work for yourself in the future.

(Adds to "repair techniques for just before you sell the bike.txt")

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Old and busted:

New hotness:

Had some clearance issues between the new shocks and the luggage rack so I've pulled the rack for now until I can get around to grinding down the offending tab. It super needed repainting anyway so I'll do that too while I'm at it.

Have a close-up of old and busted:

I'll get around to pulling the springs off these and posting them off to my local powder coating guy ~eventually~

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
It's always something. I tried to take the oldwing around the block a few times to try out the new fuel filter. This was the perfect opportunity for my homebrew taillight mount to demonstrate how metal fatigue works in steel. Luckily the lens wasn't broken and everything still works. I've re-mounted it and it's good to go for another 10 years or so.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fired up the SV and the Goldwing today since it was 45 degrees and they haven’t started since October.

:feelsgood:

The SV of course fired on the first revolution of the crankshaft lol. The Goldwing took some coaxing with the choke but it’s fine.

I’m not even starting the kiddos crf70 until I get around to rebuilding the carb. It ran like garbage when I bought it last fall (“dirty carb” ran like garbage, not “major engine failure” ran like garbage) and a winter of sitting surely did it no favors.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Fired up the SV and the Goldwing today since it was 45 degrees and they haven’t started since October.

The SV of course fired on the first revolution of the crankshaft lol. The Goldwing took some coaxing with the choke but it’s fine.

I’m not even starting the kiddos crf70 until I get around to rebuilding the carb. It ran like garbage when I bought it last fall (“dirty carb” ran like garbage, not “major engine failure” ran like garbage) and a winter of sitting surely did it no favors.

My friend, have you ever heard of Seafoam? You'll never have to clean another carb again.

if you drink it

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I would be very impressed if you could kill a crf70 motor.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Got my fz6n out of winter storage. Fired right up on first push of the button.
Apparently I was kinda distracted and rode 30 miles with my keys hanging from the givi top box. When the lock is in the open position the key cant be pulled out, not sure if this is an intended not loose your key feature, but it helps distracted idiots like me.

Box is closed, but not locked so key is trapped.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Most basic locks work like that, it's so you can't lock the lock in the open position by opening it and then removing the keys.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I changed the stock rear view mirrors over to newer model OEMs.
I didn't like the chrome on the old ones, the general look and the right one had an annoying rattle inside it

I had some doubletake mirrors on it earlier, but I found that to be unnecessary on it, not I bike I need to fold the mirrors in on.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

AnnoyBot posted:

I'm down. Difficult for me to get a whole day for a ride like that on a weekend, though. I become a single dad around 3pm on most Fridays, which is why I spend weekends with this poo poo and not riding more. I can do Mt Umunhum pretty easy.

You can email me at lipbalmdeath at gmail and we can figure something out :hehe:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
New springs trip report: they're good. Noticeably stiffer than the old ones, when it's just me they're perfect at the softest setting. Increasing the preload seems to jack them up a lot as well, so two up shopping runs should feel much less sketchy.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

this was yesterday, but remind me to never change a (front) tire myself again lol

I installed a new shinko 805 90/90-21 on my second set of wheels I just snagged so I can have a dedicated offroad / street set and good lord; rear was easy, but man the front was a pita. did it myself this time just to make sure I'm able to pop a tire off the wheel to install a tube / patch if needed with my tools I keep under my seat. stiff sidewalls on a skinny tire suck for getting the bead seated. ended up having to do the ol WD40 and a torch trick since even ratchet straps / tire in the sun weren't doing it :flame:

I feel bad for the poor techs at my LBS installing these turds for $20 for a set lol gonna drop them a 12 pack of cold snacks this weekend on my way out of town as an apology for making them do that crap lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

E: now in the right thread

I didn’t really need it, but I bought a wheel chock anyway.

This is what happens when I have money to burn not paying for commuting to work.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Martytoof posted:

E: now in the right thread

I didn’t really need it, but I bought a wheel chock anyway.

This is what happens when I have money to burn not paying for commuting to work.
Those things are great. I used mine for a cross-country move and it was perfect

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Started to install a FCR39MX in my DRZ today.

Managed to get the carb in place, but the pipe clamps didn't fit, so waiting on some worm type pipe clamps.

Then I found the throttle cables don't reach. With the outer sheath fully retracted they were pulling the throttle off the stop. So also waiting on a Venhill cable kit.

Then I found the right-hand 90 degree output from the Raptor petcock interferes with the carb resulting in a kink on the fuel line. Not sure how to solve this problem.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Horse Clocks posted:

Started to install a FCR39MX in my DRZ today.

Managed to get the carb in place, but the pipe clamps didn't fit, so waiting on some worm type pipe clamps.

Then I found the throttle cables don't reach. With the outer sheath fully retracted they were pulling the throttle off the stop. So also waiting on a Venhill cable kit.

Then I found the right-hand 90 degree output from the Raptor petcock interferes with the carb resulting in a kink on the fuel line. Not sure how to solve this problem.

You need to log in to see the pictures, but https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1130120-fcr-raptor-petcock-no/

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Cheers. Guess I'm doing the loop-de-loop around the carb.

[edit]
If you paste this into your browsers console on thumpertalk, it'll show the images.

code:
(function(){document.styleSheets[0].insertRule('img.ipsImage {display: block !important;}'); return false;})()
Tried to turn it into a bookmarklet, but couldn't.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 18, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Horse Clocks posted:

Cheers. Guess I'm doing the loop-de-loop around the carb.

I don't know if yours has this, but if not I had the same carb on my beta 390 and this kit made a big difference https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/3932 (and instructions) in helping fix the bog when quickly going from no throttle to WOT.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

builds character posted:

I don't know if yours has this, but if not I had the same carb on my beta 390 and this kit made a big difference https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/3932 (and instructions) in helping fix the bog when quickly going from no throttle to WOT.

I don't recall seeing a check valve. So it's might have already been removed. Either way, I really hope I've picked the right jetting, I don't want to take that motherfucker out.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I check the fairing bolts periodically because they like to work loose, but I still managed to lose one recently. I'm tired of doing dumb orders for a bolt or two, so I think I should be good on them for a while.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I did all fluids and filters this morning, added braided hose to front brake, pulled a baffle from exhaust. The overfueling seems to be caused mostly by the restricted exhaust flow, pretty sure this lovely end can is from a 125. It is fueling much better now, still needs a carb balance and clean but that can wait until next week after I (hopefully) get it mot'd this week.
Needs a new front tyre but should only be an advisory item.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Salisbury Snape posted:

I did all fluids and filters this morning, added braided hose to front brake, pulled a baffle from exhaust. The overfueling seems to be caused mostly by the restricted exhaust flow, pretty sure this lovely end can is from a 125. It is fueling much better now, still needs a carb balance and clean but that can wait until next week after I (hopefully) get it mot'd this week.
Needs a new front tyre but should only be an advisory item.

Nice work SSnape.

I just finished replacing both mirrors on the bike. The long stem Harley ones I just put on are so much better fitting and tolerance-wise compared to the 3 times cheaper "eBay special" clones.

Now to put on eBay the pair of long stem ebay specials I just took off, as well las the original Harley short stem ones the bike came with.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I'll probably stick with the crappy bar end mirrors for the eRat5 at least for the time being, I don't do much dual carriageway/motorway(freeway) riding since I'm out in the country. I'm looking at potential upgrades for the front brake, I'm still not happy with the braking. My options are upgrade the caliper using an Er6 one (pots are uniform size vs the er5c odd size) or I swap out the forks for something dual disk, I don't want to add too much weight or braking though, the frames on these seem to be made of something resembling chocolate. So short of welding some extra support to the frame that's kinda off the cards.
Rear brake is drum and also terrible, I might be able to drop the swing arm, wheel and rear brake from an Er6 but haven't really looked into it yet. Performance shoes are lol so I'm not going down that route.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Salisbury Snape posted:

I'll probably stick with the crappy bar end mirrors for the eRat5 at least for the time being, I don't do much dual carriageway/motorway(freeway) riding since I'm out in the country. I'm looking at potential upgrades for the front brake, I'm still not happy with the braking. My options are upgrade the caliper using an Er6 one (pots are uniform size vs the er5c odd size) or I swap out the forks for something dual disk, I don't want to add too much weight or braking though, the frames on these seem to be made of something resembling chocolate. So short of welding some extra support to the frame that's kinda off the cards.
Rear brake is drum and also terrible, I might be able to drop the swing arm, wheel and rear brake from an Er6 but haven't really looked into it yet. Performance shoes are lol so I'm not going down that route.

Changing to new/better pads would be an easy thing to try, provided you haven't done that already.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

High Protein posted:

Changing to new/better pads would be an easy thing to try, provided you haven't done that already.

Its got a set of reasonable ebc's that have done only a couple of hundred miles, I could upgrade the disk too but eh. I think I'm just asking too much, it has been a while since I've owned a bike with single disk.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Salisbury Snape posted:

Its got a set of reasonable ebc's that have done only a couple of hundred miles, I could upgrade the disk too but eh. I think I'm just asking too much, it has been a while since I've owned a bike with single disk.

I guess it depends on the bike's weight what you can reasonably expect. My 690 based bikes only had a single caliper and stopped fine, but those had 4 pot Brembos, a 320mm disc and were lighter than an ER5. I changed to a radial master and a monobloc but that didn't result in more braking power; the master just in better feel, the caliper actually might have had worse feel. And good point about keeping the frame in mind, fork might be an issue too though at least swapping out the fork for something that's built for more braking power would remove that as a possible point of failure.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Finally installed the OEM outlet on my CB500X today, actually did it without taking off the fairing. It's a bit fiddly, but after having done it, I don't understand why you would take the fairings off just for this. Only thing I might have hosed up is the plug on the bike, because I wanted to look at it and I am unsure if I pulled it out of it's loom or something. Saving that, you can easily access all components from inside the steering column.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Dry weight on the Er5 is bugger all, just under 200kg also bearing in mind the rear sub has been lopped off and all plastics are gone, its shaved a bit off that.
I myself am around 170lbs

If I can squish a four pot on there I will, but I know from a bit of research the Er6 twin pot fits straight on, are widely available and don't cost much even brand new so that's probably what I'll try first.