Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If you want black, European aristocracy there's Countess Mary Von Hapsburg.

Who was also a commoner before she married in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Niric posted:

Where was all this very useful information and links about renting moving boxes a week ago?!

Related: London tap water sucks

If you're storing water in cardboard boxes it's not the quality of water that's the issue

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1370713754959183876?s=20

This is hilarious. The Indy has found someone claiming to be a Marquess of Annaville, a title that doesn't exist, & they clearly couldn't even be arsed checking.

Does nobody have a copy of Debretts on their shelves any more?!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really get the general push to somehow tell people to stop engaging with stuff you don't think is politically optimal.

Like that isn't how people, or interest, works. People experience things as they come into their range of perception and they react as their tendencies dictate, saying people shouldn't do that just seems like arguing that the world must simply be different because you don't like it.

If you just ignore the culture war stuff it's not going to somehow make the other stuff happen instead, and to be honest I find that dismissing everything as "culture war" ignores the fact that one side of that war is usually very materially invested in the outcome, one side is often extremely affected by cultural attitudes.

It's culture war when the right do it, because they don't need it, but it gets a response because it touches on the real lives of real people. People who drop bombs don't care about who or what it hits, they have systems to abstract them from their actions, it's just what they do for a living, but the people who get hit by them are real and materially affected by that, the same is true for cultural issues. The instigators may be merely contemptible, but the people affected are real.

Did you watch the whole vid? Cause he does say that although it's a fight we can't win, we also can't just choose not to engage because we cede the narrative to the right which is losing even harder.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
And one year later here we are

https://twitter.com/YearCovid/status/1370675250271162374?s=19

A reminder that this has always been policy, whether the quiet part was said loud or not

Mebh
May 10, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Did you watch the whole vid? Cause he does say that although it's a fight we can't win, we also can't just choose not to engage because we cede the narrative to the right which is losing even harder.

I do wonder how well his chosen response actually works in that you engage with them with curiosity and get them to justify it. Sure that'll annoy trolls, but most of the people round here (S. Yorkshire) who pick up the BS right wing talking points aren't that.

They still have a genuine malaise at the core of it that things aren't as good as they used to be. They're worse off financially and are being told all the things they like, from red meat to media they used to enjoy, are bad.

Then they usually go on a rant about Corbyn being a nut because of his brother and how mental illness is caused by spirits attaching themselves to people, but not in the case of their daughter who has a rare form of epilepsy, no thats a medical thing, but those Romanians that are always trying to steal my tools, they're scroungers.

It's like... A never ending barrage of switching talking points all entirely made up from bullshit that has no bearing in reality and as soon as you get them to agree that maybe one thing isn't quite right they pull out another one to justify why we shouldn't help the poor or disabled or anyone.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I stumbled across this blogpost in 2011 and it's stuck in the mind since: https://jwmason.org/slackwire/some-should-do-one-others-other/

quote:

Some of you should do one, and others should do the other.

Succinct. And also neatly illustrates the difference in organisational philosophy between the Old Left and New Left, noting that the NLF (better known as the Viet Cong) in South Vietnam itself was deeply party-hierarchical and centralized. This anecdote is more indicative of the mythology the New Left would have preferred to draw in the late 1960s, perhaps.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 13, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UKMT March 2021 - Some of you should do one

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Guavanaut posted:

UKMT March 2021 - Some of you should do one

You have the power to make it so

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Maugrim posted:

That's exactly what we were hoping to do, we were literally just giving him a heads up and asking for his permission to go ahead with it.

Apply anyway and hope they don't bother contacting him?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Met police continuing to cover themselves in glory by snatching women at a candlelight vigil for a woman murdered by a met police officer

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the women should just go nuts imo, just raid scotland yard like so many boudicas

just nick a mini digger from somewhere and wreck the big spinning sign and everything :mad:

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
burn this country to the loving ground

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Met police continuing to cover themselves in glory by snatching women at a candlelight vigil for a woman murdered by a met police officer

If the Met wanted to guarantee a violent protest tomorrow this would be the way to do it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

If the Met wanted to guarantee a violent protest tomorrow this would be the way to do it.

We all know they love a good beating.

e: https://twitter.com/graceblakeley/status/1370830446393765888

TheRat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 13, 2021

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
https://twitter.com/ladyjaggar/status/1370819688784093191

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Violently shoving a tiny lady who is trying to pick up her glasses because why?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

gently caress the police

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

why would a rapist and murderer want to join the police? very difficult to understand

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1370838142845132807

rarely see him use that kind of language.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The met are responding the same way the american police did to the protests after they murdered George Floyd. It doesn't make any sense from a strategy point at all. Its absolutely bonkers.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

err they lit a candle? Not sure what more he wants

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

keir starmer weeping in his office rn, desperately sad that he is no longer DPP and cannot let this rapist & murderer off no charges

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

serious gaylord posted:

The met are responding the same way the american police did to the protests after they murdered George Floyd. It doesn't make any sense from a strategy point at all. Its absolutely bonkers.

The strategy is "we can get away with this and you can't stop us".

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

kyojin posted:

err they lit a candle? Not sure what more he wants

you're being extremely uncharitable their response has gone much further than a single candle

there's at least two now

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1370823318866104321?s=19

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Keir is probably waiting for his erection to go down

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

XMNN posted:

you're being extremely uncharitable their response has gone much further than a single candle

there's at least two now

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1370823318866104321?s=19

oh don't worry she's really going hard now

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1370840524677079040?s=20

probably gonna say "goodness, what's happening!" and "we're better than this!" soon, too. watch the gently caress out.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Even the Tory press are all wtf about this. Astonishingly braindead strategy from the Met.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pistol_Pete posted:

Even the Tory press are all wtf about this. Astonishingly braindead strategy from the Met.

who is going to hold them to account for this? loving kiere starmer? he's going to put out a message saying that clearly the violence was caused by a shortage of police and angela rayner is going to post a picture of a brutalized protester with "yauusssss slay queen for supporting your democratic rights".

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bit of a horror story this one:

I keep thinking of that time I got this dude fired twice from poo poo zero hour delivery jobs.

Because he used to live in the area I did 10 years ago and our kids were in the same class at primary school. Fast forward 5 years and pure coincidence when they took his children away and put a indefinite restraining order on him they were moved to the same estate I had moved to, and twice he showed up at my door with parcels. He was taking delivery jobs to stalk the kids and neither Yodel or Hermies actually did any checks on the guy.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ronya posted:

I stumbled across this blogpost in 2011 and it's stuck in the mind since: https://jwmason.org/slackwire/some-should-do-one-others-other/

Succinct. And also neatly illustrates the difference in organisational philosophy between the Old Left and New Left, noting that the NLF (better known as the Viet Cong) in South Vietnam itself was deeply party-hierarchical and centralized. This anecdote is more indicative of the mythology the New Left would have preferred to draw in the late 1960s, perhaps.

very zen, but mason surely knows that 'pointless debates about tactics' are their own reward and always have been. sure, the barrier to entry is lower now than it was in 2011, and 'debates' is overstating it. but a decent echo chamber provides more validation than canvassing or changing public opinion one lib at a time. plus, if you're like that video guy whatevil posted, you can get more money, fame and even a route to being a full-time tactics debater by being sarcastic for 15 minutes

i was flicking through florence given's women dont owe you pretty and while i found it a terrible read (and was relieved to find it criticised by the black activist who florence said inspired it), there was a useful phrase in there florence cribbed about a comfort zone being a beautiful place but nothing grows there

all of which is to say, keep posting. recently ive been thinking a lot about your reminder that corbyn, too, promised more police

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CoolCab posted:

oh don't worry she's really going hard now

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1370840524677079040?s=20

probably gonna say "goodness, what's happening!" and "we're better than this!" soon, too. watch the gently caress out.

How can we attack the police when they were kind enough to hold her still for the flash photographer to line up the shot.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

BBC stoically refusing to cover it, even the loving Telegraph has it as the lead

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

He's been getting grumpier and grumpier with Keith lately.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

kyojin posted:

BBC stoically refusing to cover it, even the loving Telegraph has it as the lead

The BBC needs to tell us about how a teenage girl headbutted a man (who groped her, but that's less important)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Comrade Fakename posted:

Seems weird to hang out in a place where they want you gone.

Says a lefty still in the Labour Party.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

kyojin posted:

They have finally put it on their news homepage, only a couple of hours late.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Says a lefty still in the Labour Party.

Ha ha, we’ve all had a laugh, gently caress off you racist transphobe.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

They have finally put it on their news homepage, only a couple of hours late.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1370846515032375300?s=20

fortunate that the vigil was unsafe, otherwise the police would look like total loving psychopaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeQY9-fYYpA

When the Political Editor of the Sunday Times does a better job holding the filth to account than the Leader of the Opposition. gently caress you Smithers you worthless little turd.