Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

diagonal movement?

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1368738586527371266?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Parkouring!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tip posted:

This is already taken by a casual sex app for D&D players.

:lol:

The what

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
SAroblox? I don't really care but will it make any of you money? My kids seem to enjoy it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I was gonna call it "Chogue" as in Chess + Rogue (mostly because it sounds funny),

Uh oh. *Does some quick Googling.*

Whew. No strong prior associations for Jombat.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I was gonna call it "Chogue" as in Chess + Rogue (mostly because it sounds funny), but I did a quicker twitter search the other day and it turns out someone already beat me to it by four years. might have to check it out after the jam is over

updated the sprites a lil bit (will have to change the colour scheme so it doesnt blend in with the blood spatter) and there's a gameover state now

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1369813853823852544

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl9dvoUY5pc - in a good way

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Holy poo poo that camera shake in combination with changing colors hurts my eyes :psypop:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

drat, I was definitely feeling very crypt of the necrodancer when I first starting implementing movement and just having the sprite make little jumps on a grid instead of any kind of walk cycle, but I had completely forgotten about this boss encounter. I gotta go back and replay necrodancer now

don't think I'm gonna make it in time for the jam end (or at least I'll probably go over 7 days) but I added a horse

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1369957173950697475

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Finally hit the panic groove. Intense 9-hour-no-break workday, and now I'm pushin' a one-word commit roughly every song.

And these aren't my usual double-digit runtime songs either.

Feels good to at least make the effort.

e: I mean the commit message is one word.

The commits themselves are like ten.

efb: tendons. Don't think I've ever hit the wall quite so abruptly before. Guess I'll pet the meowy-cat with my feet 'til such a time as endurance returns.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 12, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hammer Bro. posted:

e: I mean the commit message is one word.

The commits themselves are like ten.

mine are normally like "dsfargeg" or "loving works"

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eve of the final night here and I'm only just now "playing" my 7DRL game for the first time.

It's more compelling than it should be given that I know how it works.

Or maybe I'm just compelled by trying to make it work. Lot o' numbers need fiddlin'.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
So I went ahead and tried texturing one of my stupid spaceships. Here it is next to its untextured original. It didn't even took that long after I figured out all the software involved and drawn some height textures to stamp on it. Overall I'm pretty happy with the result, and working on it was pretty enjoyable, and doing next one with already prepared materials should be much faster. If I had to do it with painting over UVs in gimp I would go insane. Also big thanks to that goon who posted step-by-step instructions how to bake normal maps in blender :tipshat:

I ended up using blender and quixel mixer. I've tried trial of substance painter, but ended up with quixel mixer. It is free and substance wasn't that much better for the stuff I need. It is pretty mind boggling to me that neither of these has checkbox to mirror brush... like, come on, substance has these hard surface modeling textures in special category of which half is asymmetrical, give me option to use mirrored version dammit!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:toot: 7DRL Submission Successful! :toot:

It's JRPG combat with randomized / stacking stat modifiers. It's actually more fun than I was expecting in the one-more-run sense, as you can get some busted stats going if you roll the right multipliers but then so can the enemies.

Steals a bit of the Brave/Default system from Bravely Default because I really like the risk/reward of going all-in. I also like the way in which I've simplified the concept of Magic and pitted the stats against each other -- if you want to go crazy you'll probably have an Achilles' Heel.

Of course it hasn't been played by anyone other than myself so I'm sure it won't make sense or work at all for the general public. And I've already noticed a minor bug even in that screenshot. But that's game jams for you.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
It looks like I'll probably make it, I'm $17 short with 15 hours remaining: https://igg.me/at/sequence-storm-olokun-dive

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

baby puzzle posted:

It looks like I'll probably make it, I'm $17 short with 15 hours remaining: https://igg.me/at/sequence-storm-olokun-dive

Curious to know how many plays you think you might have gotten on Steam just through the IGG campaign.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

baby puzzle posted:

Threw some money your way. Good luck with the expansion!

I made a new trailer for my Steam page yesterday. It's mostly a recut / recreation of the previous trailer, but with some of my more recent developments added, and a faster flow with shorter shots and more frequent cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XeD7f0DBY

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Threw some money your way. Good luck with the expansion!

I made a new trailer for my Steam page yesterday. It's mostly a recut / recreation of the previous trailer, but with some of my more recent developments added, and a faster flow with shorter shots and more frequent cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XeD7f0DBY
That trailer is way better than your last ones imo, I especially liked seeing the boat with the paint job and the one after it with the entire deck covered with guns in action.
I think you could cut the very last "action" scene after the disco laser at 50s and it would be just about bang on.
But it's defiantly done a much better job of keeping my attention than the last ones, good job!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

So I went ahead and tried texturing one of my stupid spaceships. Here it is next to its untextured original. It didn't even took that long after I figured out all the software involved and drawn some height textures to stamp on it. Overall I'm pretty happy with the result, and working on it was pretty enjoyable, and doing next one with already prepared materials should be much faster. If I had to do it with painting over UVs in gimp I would go insane. Also big thanks to that goon who posted step-by-step instructions how to bake normal maps in blender :tipshat:

I ended up using blender and quixel mixer. I've tried trial of substance painter, but ended up with quixel mixer. It is free and substance wasn't that much better for the stuff I need. It is pretty mind boggling to me that neither of these has checkbox to mirror brush... like, come on, substance has these hard surface modeling textures in special category of which half is asymmetrical, give me option to use mirrored version dammit!

hey that looks pretty great! I too am making spaceships, but they don't look very good hehe. I'm going for a more turn based strategy style of game, with a "pixelize" pipeline, but I might try out quixel mixer after seeing your results. I'm not super happy with the monochromatic models, though with normal maps exported the lighting can be kind of nice.

FWIW, I found this Blender plugin can really help if you get stuck creatively: https://github.com/a1studmuffin/SpaceshipGenerator

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

My 7drl is sorta done. It has an ending. It has like half the features I wanted. Hell I cut ability slots, most class features, and half the leveling today. It's a thing.

The art is all repurposed stuff as my art partner was busy this week except the awesome bit of art he used for a cover

As per usual I had some dumb idea about redoing old game stuff in roguelike form. In this case turn based Dungeon Hack/EoTB/etc. One day I will achieve the enlightenment of reasonable scope and slip beyond the half built prototypes of fools.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

cmdrk posted:

hey that looks pretty great! I too am making spaceships, but they don't look very good hehe. I'm going for a more turn based strategy style of game, with a "pixelize" pipeline, but I might try out quixel mixer after seeing your results. I'm not super happy with the monochromatic models, though with normal maps exported the lighting can be kind of nice.

FWIW, I found this Blender plugin can really help if you get stuck creatively: https://github.com/a1studmuffin/SpaceshipGenerator

One thing to keep in mind about quixel mixer is that it is very much beta software (not only in some unfinished stuff, e.g. no support for emission, but also in a way where undo/redo sometimes fucks up, or exporting in lower than working resolution will make normal maps super strong). But it has some nice things like "positional gradient" in layer mask (which is how the green paint was done). I don't know if something like this is in substance (I didn't spend too much time in that). I kinda wish these painting softwares had something like "paint everything in this 3d box".

Unless you have some zooming I'd say your models look detailed enough, so adding some color + emission would be enough imo.

Generated stuff is great if you can tweak it into something you like, and isn't super repetitive :) (stuff you linked seems alright). I actually had a big luck in finding a concept artist that designed around 5 ships for one faction and I salvaged some of the drafts he did, so it doesn't look too bad even after my modeling skillz are done with it.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

FuzzySlippers posted:

My 7drl is sorta done. It has an ending. It has like half the features I wanted. Hell I cut ability slots, most class features, and half the leveling today. It's a thing.

The art is all repurposed stuff as my art partner was busy this week except the awesome bit of art he used for a cover

As per usual I had some dumb idea about redoing old game stuff in roguelike form. In this case turn based Dungeon Hack/EoTB/etc. One day I will achieve the enlightenment of reasonable scope and slip beyond the half built prototypes of fools.

This is great and really scratches the Dungeon Hack itch. I love the art style.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

Generated stuff is great if you can tweak it into something you like, and isn't super repetitive :) (stuff you linked seems alright). I actually had a big luck in finding a concept artist that designed around 5 ships for one faction and I salvaged some of the drafts he did, so it doesn't look too bad even after my modeling skillz are done with it.

yeah, I use the spaceship plugin to get a general idea for a silhouette, then blow it away and try to model something by hand. it works okay. I've been spending a lot of time trying to identify what kinds of features give a nice shape when scaled down and pixelized. One thing I do, for example, is subdivide a plane a couple of times, inset each quad inside, then extrude it a bit and bevel the edges of the extruded part. when rendered down it can give a nice 'window' effect. similarly taking on random spheres and stuff seems to break up the surfaces. greebling is fun :)

Where did you find a concept artist? I was looking at Fiverr maybe for various small tasks (some logo stuff, character portraits, etc).

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 15, 2021

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I have $600 that I want to use just for advertising. What's the best way to do it? I think I want to pay somebody to do something.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

cmdrk posted:

yeah, I use the spaceship plugin to get a general idea for a silhouette, then blow it away and try to model something by hand. it works okay. I've been spending a lot of time trying to identify what kinds of features give a nice shape when scaled down and pixelized. One thing I do, for example, is subdivide a plane a couple of times, inset each quad inside, then extrude it a bit and bevel the edges of the extruded part. when rendered down it can give a nice 'window' effect. similarly taking on random spheres and stuff seems to break up the surfaces. greebling is fun :)

Where did you find a concept artist? I was looking at Fiverr maybe for various small tasks (some logo stuff, character portraits, etc).

It was some years ago (long hobby project...), but I think it was either on r/inat (I'm pretty sure here I found a guy that did 3 music tracks, and another guy that did voice acting for RTS unit) or deviantart (I've spammed a lot or artists there, and I'm pretty sure at least 1 other dude there did some quick concepts, and 1 another did 1 3d model). I've been also trying to get some help on various forums where there are modders active, but it's really hard to find someone to work for free :classiclol: (I guess not having a project based on some popular IP doesn't help either). But I was looking for free stuff, so if you're willing to throw some money around, there are probably better places.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I tried to do a little work on fiverr (as a seller) and it seemed a total nightmare so I'd be surprised if you can find decent results. Even if the seller is in a country where the CoL is so incredibly low that they can charge the kinds of prices most clients find acceptable on there then they still have to deal with the shtty platform/fiverr as a company sucks. Upwork seems a lot more reasonable but it doesn't seem to be for smaller jobs like that.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Last night I sat down to try to finally... finalise the structure of the game and realised I need a few more items for the player to get in dungeons, and sooo

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/1371882657286656006?s=20

This is obviously going to be a pretty late item, but fuckin hell is it fun to use.

Also I changed my UI so I could make slighly taller rooms

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

Last night I sat down to try to finally... finalise the structure of the game and realised I need a few more items for the player to get in dungeons, and sooo

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/1371882657286656006?s=20

This is obviously going to be a pretty late item, but fuckin hell is it fun to use.

Counterpoint: it could be an early item and be a defining part of the experience of playing the game. It looks heckin' fun to use, so why not have more of it? Don't save your best stuff for last!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Counterpoint: it could be an early item and be a defining part of the experience of playing the game. It looks heckin' fun to use, so why not have more of it? Don't save your best stuff for last!

Well so that was why I was trying to nail down progresion because this needs to be a ways away from the jumping ability because once you get this you'll never bother jumping again

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Shoehead posted:

Well so that was why I was trying to nail down progresion because this needs to be a ways away from the jumping ability because once you get this you'll never bother jumping again

I don't know how puzzly you want to make this game but that sounds like an opportunity to introduce a reason to jump anyway!

Maybe certain regions or obstacles can be jumped through but not thrown through! Or maybe using the throw has side effects while you are standing on certain surfaces which jumping lets you avoid!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Can you figure out a way for the two to work together? For example, jumping gives altitude, which the grappling hook doesn't. Maybe jumping allows you to dodge attacks, while you're still vulnerable while grappling? I think you can carve out niches for both of them so they'll remain relevant. Honestly my big concern would be what your control scheme is like. Core skills and abilities will tend to want to be always available, but if you're going for a Link's Awakening-style control scheme, then you'll be constantly swapping items around and that can really interrupt flow.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Yeah, I try to make abilities that I code to be different from each other rather than straight upgrades.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

baby puzzle posted:

I have $600 that I want to use just for advertising. What's the best way to do it? I think I want to pay somebody to do something.

no really help me. What would you do to advertise with a few bucks? Twitter and Reddit are very expensive. Do I need to get creative?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
600 is not enough for anything material in the online channels, just do the normal indie thing and dont spend money

maybe go to a brutally obscure convention w booth but it would have to be after the roni and also really brutally obscure. gas money for showing up to meetups?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

baby puzzle posted:

no really help me. What would you do to advertise with a few bucks? Twitter and Reddit are very expensive. Do I need to get creative?

It's $30 to run a banner on SA for a month. :v:

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

My game isn’t art fart enough to be obscure. Hmm. But it have a small but vibrant fan base. I mean, I literally just raised 2500 in the last month! So I think there are other interested people out there.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i mean, a big rear end booth at e3 will help a lot (for finding a publisher lol) but that aint $600

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tip posted:

It's $30 to run a banner on SA for a month. :v:

that's actually not bad advice

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tunicate posted:

that's actually not bad advice

I'm surprised that anyone on SA even sees the banners (I don't), but I ran a couple banners on here before and had good results relative to the cost.

It does seem like there's a low upper limit on effectiveness, paying $60 to have it in the ad rotation twice didn't really double the clicks I got and running an ad for the same thing for months will probably just expose you to mostly the same people.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

When it comes to assembling levels out of modular assets, do you guys think it's worth merging stuff in Blender before importing it? I suspect this is thinking way too optimally, but it bugs me that it takes 4 corner pieces, 4 wall pieces, a door frame and a floor/ceiling to create a room in-engine: that's overhead from 11 gameobjects when I could merge everything pre-export and get away with just 1 object, or 2 if the door moves and needs to be animated.

On the flip side the asset management stuff is way easier if I'm importing standard pieces, since (for the most part) I only need to texture 2 pieces per wall and a single instance of each special piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The overhead from the additional game objects might not be as much of an issue as you might think. You'd also get some benefits from being able to properly frustum cull the separated models rather than if the room was just 1 model.

In my experience it's only when you get in to scenes with tens of thousands of game objects/actors where you might see some performance issues with having them all separated, but prefabs (or blueprints for UE) can help mitigate against that a bit.

It may be worth setting up an extreme example of one of your levels to measure performance between the two setups, even with the one room you've made.