Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Once I finally found some swamps and got some iron and a longboat and iron armor I'm enjoying the game a hell of a lot more than I was around the part where you have to explore on the super slow karve/raft while dodging death from mosquitos and serpents. Longboat feels a lot faster than Karve so it's a lot less frustrating when you have to go against the wind.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I was sailing out of a swamp and a skeleton archer ran out, stood completely submerged in the water, and was able to plink away at my boat with its arrow while I sat there in dead/against the wind trying to get out of its range, until somehow a bunch of wood arrows exploded my boat in the middle of the ocean and I died.

That one felt pretty video-gamey and frustrating, but wasn't too bad because I had friend in the server.

But single player or on a casual friends server... use the console commands before quitting. it's an EA game.

Lakitu7 posted:

Once I finally found some swamps and got some iron and a longboat and iron armor I'm enjoying the game a hell of a lot more than I was around the part where you have to explore on the super slow karve/raft while dodging death from mosquitos and serpents. Longboat feels a lot faster.

fair and based on the roadmap this part of the game will be more like 1/2 or 3/5 of the game rather than creeping up on endgame.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

bus hustler posted:

based on the roadmap this part of the game will be more like 1/2 or 3/5 of the game rather than creeping up on endgame.

I'm close to done with Iron, but don't I still have mountains and plains so a heck of a lot of game still before the end of EA content?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm close to done with Iron, but don't I still have mountains and plains so a heck of a lot of game still before the end of EA content?

Fair but by the time you get there you've usually found the mountain & plains biomes, so it makes sailing easier but you don't necessarily need it to complete the game. We got into iron pretty "late" (finally found bonemass/crypts/iron).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
My mistake was definitely using the raft. gently caress the raft, I can't ever see a reason to use it unless you spawned in on a meadow-only island.

Also if their roadmap is accurate I'm sure they'll address it in their sea update.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, fair enough. I definitely found plenty of plains while looking for swamp, and mountains seem to be in the middle of every big land mass including my start one. My big mistake was sailing east/west looking for swamps. At least on my map they're all a short distance north/south. Is that a common feature of the mapgen and thus generic good advice or just how my map happens to be?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Mine are mostly east/west so far.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Ravenfood posted:

Mine are mostly east/west so far.

Oh well. It seemed plausible. Thanks!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there any way to build a big stone bridge connected to the big pillars in the plains? On a first try wood seems to not support the stone structures.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wood can’t handle more than the slightest bit of tensile load so a free hanging stone bridge (or stone bridge with wooden supports) isn’t going to work. You could build a ton of stone pillars in the style of an aqueduct though!

Alternatively it’s apparently possible to reinforce lengths of stone by running LOTS of core wood beams through it, so you could experiment with that technique.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One crafty viking discovers the secret of rebar.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
am i the only one who prefers sailing around in a karve to a longship? i'm doing raids against fuling villages for fun with the karve from various portals i have around the map, then bring flax/barley home and worry about the scrap later (plus i can just get it by being loud at night at my castle and the materials come to me!)

if you didnt know, parry + special attack with maxed frostnir one shots all the base fulings. trying to combo them knocks them out of reach so this is a way better way to fight them

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

am i the only one who prefers sailing around in a karve to a longship? i'm doing raids against fuling villages for fun with the karve from various portals i have around the map, then bring flax/barley home and worry about the scrap later (plus i can just get it by being loud at night at my castle and the materials come to me!)

if you didnt know, parry + special attack with maxed frostnir one shots all the base fulings. trying to combo them knocks them out of reach so this is a way better way to fight them

I prefer it too solo. Longships handle awkwardly primarily due to having their pivot point for turning be the very front of the boat. It's very easy to get a little distance from the shore only to have your turn jam the back end right back onto the ground. That in conjunction with having way more momentum that makes it incredibly difficult to shift from reverse rowing to forward rowing and just overall increased size makes them sometimes crazy hard to un-beach in moments where being snappy about it is important.

In my mind longships are for the 2+ big supply runs where you need to hold size, and karves are perfect for solo goofin.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there an accepted build order for bronze age stuff? I was going to do an axe first, but it takes forever and a day to mine with the bone pick, so I'm wondering if I should upgrade the pickaxe first.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pickaxe is always first for me, as it's the chokepoint for getting more upgrades.

Then it's just kind of whatever seems good in the moment, usually something is bugging me that needs solved (getting hit too hard, not doing enough damage, need to clear a forest, whatever).

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Alternatively it’s apparently possible to reinforce lengths of stone by running LOTS of core wood beams through it, so you could experiment with that technique.

That seems to work up to a point. Specifically two full core wood beams. Not quite enough for what I wanted to do, but I can make do.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there an accepted build order for bronze age stuff? I was going to do an axe first, but it takes forever and a day to mine with the bone pick, so I'm wondering if I should upgrade the pickaxe first.

I'd still say axe, getting to chop down birch trees for fine wood unlocks a whole bunch of things, most importantly portals, but also functional boats, good comfort furniture, fermenters, and more. The bone pick sucks somewhat, but you also just need a workshop to repair rather than a forge.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Definitely the axe for finewood. I got by mining copper with the bone pick and a repair workbench and held out for an iron pick, which (similar to the bronze axe) acts as an explicit material-gathering gate.

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

mastershakeman posted:

I usually snipe them with Draugr Fang, guarantee one-shot-kill from stealth, then watch the other run around like headless snakes.

genericnick posted:

Is there any way to build a big stone bridge connected to the big pillars in the plains? On a first try wood seems to not support the stone structures.

Yes, there is. Use wood iron beams as support. You can do it to a certain extent. Build your bridge out from one pillar to achieve half of the actual length then build the other half from the other pillar. But if the pillars are too far apart then you're out of luck.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

Axe first. The antler pickaxe will last long enough for you to get as much ore as you can carry (which isn't much) before it breaks. The axe gets you access to fine wood which gets you the finewood bow (assuming you didn't get enough wood from chopping other trees into birch trees), which is both a significant upgrade over the crude bow and really important for killing trolls. It also gets you the karve boat (which is way better than the raft), a ton of decoration for comfort, and portals.

I haven't upgraded to a bronze pickaxe yet because I'm finding it easier to build a workshop and shed near a copper deposit and repair the antler pickaxe on-site, then haul the ore out either on foot or by cart depending on terrain, and having to drop a forge as well as a workshop would be annoying.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bioshuffle posted:

My order was: bronze axe to get fine wood, cultivator. Straight to swamp , use 3x bone antlers to go after iron piles since I read that bone pick works just as good for them as bronze or iron. Then make iron mace level 3 and banded shield, iron pickaxe upgrade a few times, and straight to silver. Finally there go for cloak right away then just go insane on silver.

Obviously needed copper/tin/iron for various forge upgrades and ships but basically just skipped ahead multiple tiers with troll armor and good food and got lucky it worked out for me.
Now I need a bunch of iron again but I'm glad I never made any bronze/iron weapons or armor outside the mace/shield
I actually did make a bronze atgier which was dumb

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The other night we went crypt seeking.

We were denied.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

The other night we went crypt seeking.

We were denied.

Mine below the entrance and you can enter

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/xHEekj4.mp4

goddamn i love this game; the soundtrack just lined up from spotify while i was recording too

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Might need some walls at some point

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any decent way to do a lighthouse pre-stoneworking? I can't do one out of wood because I can't drop a fire on wood so now I think I'm down to just placing a bunch of sconces on a tower or something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ravenfood posted:

Is there any decent way to do a lighthouse pre-stoneworking? I can't do one out of wood because I can't drop a fire on wood so now I think I'm down to just placing a bunch of sconces on a tower or something.

Might wanna wait until you get a little further in.
There is a proper bonfire that you should build around.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The nice thing about the antler pickaxe is that you can use a workbench to repair it. You can get pretty big hauls by repairing in the black forests and using a cart.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Molybdenum posted:

The nice thing about the antler pickaxe is that you can use a workbench to repair it. You can get pretty big hauls by repairing in the black forests and using a cart.

Ravenfood posted:

I haven't upgraded to a bronze pickaxe yet because I'm finding it easier to build a workshop and shed near a copper deposit and repair the antler pickaxe on-site, then haul the ore out either on foot or by cart depending on terrain, and having to drop a forge as well as a workshop would be annoying.

Just build a portal, drop your ore in a chest next to it, and pop back to base to repair.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Thanks for the tips! Made myself a bronze axe and crafted myself a cart. Any tips for making a cart highway through hilly terrain? I'm having a hell of a time trying to make a smooth path that can navigate those hills.

I spent all day yesterday making a fence perimeter around my harbor base, but I didn't realize they can simply go around the damned thing by getting into the water. Maybe I can just make an artificial hill to keep them out?

This is a good game.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Bioshuffle posted:

Thanks for the tips! Made myself a bronze axe and crafted myself a cart. Any tips for making a cart highway through hilly terrain? I'm having a hell of a time trying to make a smooth path that can navigate those hills.

I spent all day yesterday making a fence perimeter around my harbor base, but I didn't realize they can simply go around the damned thing by getting into the water. Maybe I can just make an artificial hill to keep them out?

This is a good game.

Flatten ground in the uphill direction when you use the hoe

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Just build a portal, drop your ore in a chest next to it, and pop back to base to repair.

:doh: well, I'll be doing that from now on. I've got a decent supply of fine wood and Surtling cores now, but early on I was struggling to get either in decent quantities. Either way, you should still get a bronze axe before a bronze pickaxe, which was the original question.

E: and thanks for the tip on waiting for a bonfire.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Building a moat-accessible cellar for an existing structure took some doing but drat if it wasn't worth it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i had to haul this thing starting from the beach

my first mistake was misreading the karve needing 80 bronze bolts as the karve needing 80 bronze

at least i got to kill lots of trolls

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The Colonel posted:

i had to haul this thing starting from the beach

my first mistake was misreading the karve needing 80 bronze bolts as the karve needing 80 bronze

at least i got to kill lots of trolls

Well if it makes you feel any better your main base will probably never need any additional bronze, ever. :banjo:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can be handy to make a temporary portal to send non-ores through the portal first to lighten the load and make the cart easier to handle.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone got farming tips? Keeping the seeds far enough apart they all have room to grow and none are wasted is tricky. The game isn't great at this sort of precision placement. I wish it just didn't allow you to plant too close together.

The best I've come up with is alternating columns by half a row. That is, I place the plants in the second row are about a viking shoulder's width to the side and then placed midway between the rows to their right and left. Then the plants in the third column are placed half a row off-again, which is the same as being in the same rows as the first column. Having an extra set of seedlings to judge placement with helps me avoid drifting too far off from a straight line.

The torches help with night-time farming. Multiplayer server so I can't always just go to bed and wait for daylight.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Make the farm bigger

Also raid fulings because barley and flax are way better to manage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Where do I get honey?