Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Tamba posted:

traps that make noise if someone gets caught? :shrug:

Yup exactly that. usually they're spaced closer together so they can clack together and make noise to alert you where someone's come into contact with the string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm a LN reader and just checked the wiki and I didn't realize Buirimus is THAT guy. I thought this was a completely separate guy.

Yup. He gets sent up there as punishment for the events that unfold next.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Look how cute and happy she is in her safe little house, where no one would ever disturb her.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

a kitten posted:

Look how cute and happy she is in her safe little house, where no one would ever disturb her.

I cant help but think about what kumoko actually looks like now that we've seen her twice...

manga+LN spoilers
I do wonder where they're gonna slide in kumoko attacking mother, because like, the humans find her base full of taratect corpses which is part of why they attack her in the first place isnt it? like this tiny spider is able to kill high rank mobs so easily, and eat them!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Renzuko posted:

I cant help but think about what kumoko actually looks like now that we've seen her twice...

manga+LN spoilers
I do wonder where they're gonna slide in kumoko attacking mother, because like, the humans find her base full of taratect corpses which is part of why they attack her in the first place isnt it? like this tiny spider is able to kill high rank mobs so easily, and eat them!

If you're talking about when Julius's party went in earlier in the series (LN spoilers regarding the timeline), that's 10 years after the scene shown in this episode

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Renzuko posted:

manga+LN spoilers

Specifically, they roll up and attacked her this time because (LN background to to the attack in the last episode) her fear aura is causing all the monsters in the upper level to bug out into the countryside, causing problems for the human settlements nearby.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope she learns how to habla isekai one day. It would suck to only be able to talk to your three other brains and, occasionally, an evil god.

Actually, can she make actual Japanese come out her spider mouth or were her and D talking mentally/magically in Japanese? It'd suck for her to run into someone from the class only for her attempts at Japanese to be unintelligible.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gyges posted:

I hope she learns how to habla isekai one day. It would suck to only be able to talk to your three other brains and, occasionally, an evil god.

Actually, can she make actual Japanese come out her spider mouth or were her and D talking mentally/magically in Japanese? It'd suck for her to run into someone from the class only for her attempts at Japanese to be unintelligible.

Judging by how she was "chewing out" the adventurers it sounds like the best she can muster are horrifying spider noises.

Also someone was asking what anime onlys thought of the new people and I like them, Ronandt seems like a cool old guy and I hope his serious demeanor in the present was just because of the situation and not because he got traumatized by our spider protagonist, him messing with the other dude is funny so it would suck if he lost that side of him.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Gyges posted:

Well, in this episode when she starts waving her arms angrily at the adventurers, the audio is just creepy monster noises. And I like to imagine from her PoV she was angrily ranting about them destroying her home again, so I'm going with not able to speak actual Japanese.

IIRC D did specify she could read Kumoko's thoughts, so she might have just been pretending Kumoko was actually speaking.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gyges posted:

They've left out a lot of planning she's done by this point in her internal monologue in the LN, including how she plans on tackling the language and speech issue.

I imagine they may come up in the next few episodes, hopefully.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Yeah I think by this point in the manga her monologue has said even if she actually could understand the language of this would, she doesn't know how to speak as a spider anyways; it was fairly clear that she wasn't literally speaking during her conversation with D

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Charlette's Web isn't big in Japan is it? I don't want an arc of looking for some pigs to use as the vehicle to spread the divine message of our spider goddess.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Renzuko posted:

manga+LN spoilers

(LN Spoilers) The Mother stuff is later, like the next volume. One of the human groups do find a dead earth wyrm in her nest and freak out about it but i'm not sure if it's Ronandt's group or the one that got skipped.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

dordreff posted:

(LN Spoilers) The Mother stuff is later, like the next volume. One of the human groups do find a dead earth wyrm in her nest and freak out about it but i'm not sure if it's Ronandt's group or the one that got skipped.

There's supposed to be corpses of a couple greater and an arch taratect lying around during the encounter with Rondant et al., as she's well into her guerilla war on Mother and the other spiders by that time. We were also supposed to see Mother gently caress up the fire dragon and try and use Kin Control on Kumoko, prompting the whole fight in the first place, but they left that part out, so maybe they'll build on it a bit in the next few episodes.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also someone was asking what anime onlys thought of the new people and I like them, Ronandt seems like a cool old guy and I hope his serious demeanor in the present was just because of the situation and not because he got traumatized by our spider protagonist, him messing with the other dude is funny so it would suck if he lost that side of him.

Ronandt owns bones and gets even weirder and funnier.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MadMadi posted:

There's supposed to be corpses of a couple greater and an arch taratect lying around during the encounter with Rondant et al., as she's well into her guerilla war on Mother and the other spiders by that time. We were also supposed to see Mother gently caress up the fire dragon and try and use Kin Control on Kumoko, prompting the whole fight in the first place, but they left that part out, so maybe they'll build on it a bit in the next few episodes.

I'm pretty sure that they're rearranging stuff to combine all those things into one cohesive arc instead of being split up like it was in the light novel.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Episode 10: This is why you only install apps from the Doodle Play store.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Gyges posted:

Charlette's Web isn't big in Japan is it? I don't want an arc of looking for some pigs to use as the vehicle to spread the divine message of our spider goddess.

this might be a manufactured memory, but I think I remember a joke reference to that in either the WN or the manga

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Renzuko posted:

Yup exactly that. usually they're spaced closer together so they can clack together and make noise to alert you where someone's come into contact with the string.

She did the same thing in episode two, it's supposed to be a hint.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Something else im just now thinking about with the whole dialogue discussion, and the fact that we now know what kumoko looks like to people

how loving terrified must that party have been that kumoko HEALED. like this giant spider walks up and holds one of its scythe arms over you...and heals you. I cant remember now if they GAVE her the fruit or if they just ran off in terror once their friend was healed

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Renzuko posted:

I cant remember now if they GAVE her the fruit or if they just ran off in terror once their friend was healed

They just gaped at her and did nothing. Kumoko grabbed the fruit herself like, "Hey, I can take this, right? You can't complain! I just saved your life!".

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I really don't begrudge the anime for going for a high-speed-low-drag approach to cutting stuff from the LN.

There's a lot of repetition in the novels. Even just thoughts sometimes get repeated 2, 3, or even 4 times within a couple of pages to I guess reinforce it to the reader? And some of the encounters don't do a ton to drive the plot forward or are kind of repetitious (see the wasp and monkey encounters as prime examples of the latter). Like cutting the whole grinding thing she does to get used to the middle strata heat was not a bad cut. You can demonstrate that she's improved her resistance to fire visually over time and reinforce it with a line of dialog from a human (like in this last episode) drawing attention to how unusual her resistance to fire is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
on the other hand, all of her encounters with humans are hilarious and they should be shown in their entirety.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really don't begrudge the anime for going for a high-speed-low-drag approach to cutting stuff from the LN.

There's a lot of repetition in the novels. Even just thoughts sometimes get repeated 2, 3, or even 4 times within a couple of pages to I guess reinforce it to the reader? And some of the encounters don't do a ton to drive the plot forward or are kind of repetitious (see the wasp and monkey encounters as prime examples of the latter). Like cutting the whole grinding thing she does to get used to the middle strata heat was not a bad cut. You can demonstrate that she's improved her resistance to fire visually over time and reinforce it with a line of dialog from a human (like in this last episode) drawing attention to how unusual her resistance to fire is.

But now the anime just makes it seem like she immediately got totally overpowered instead of having to plan things out and fight for her life (the wasp encounter was quite tense, for example)

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Maxwell Adams posted:

These are the voice credits for episode 10. You can see 4 Aoi Yuki's at the top of the list for all 4 of Kumoko's minds. Then, at the bottom of the list, is a credit for 'spider monster'.

So she's in the end credits 6 times on this episode unless I missed one.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The last page feels like a bit of a mine field, I hope people are being careful, especially with LN spoilers.

Tamba posted:

But now the anime just makes it seem like she immediately got totally overpowered instead of having to plan things out and fight for her life (the wasp encounter was quite tense, for example)

Yeah the manga as I like to sell it to people feels like a Hardcore one life run of Dark Souls as the depraved background. You have Kumoko very carefully planning and "cheesing" her encounters because well, people die when they're killed y'know. The manga I think does a really good job in selling the tone and how everything is super tense because her life is on the line. The moments where she gets filled with DETERMINATION to execute her plan and overcome her enemy feels just like watching someone overcome a really difficult boss. The anime's pacing I feel has stumbled a bit in this regard, skipping over some encounters, glossing over some of her internal deliberations, and of course some of the fights were also a little fast.

The anime has been getting better because it feels like they got to the part where they can start to let things breath, but its felt like they kinda want to rush things to get to some point which I suspect even the manga hasn't gotten to yet.

I don't blame spending time with the classmates, I feel like instead of trying to get to wherever they're trying to get to in the LN's, they should've aimed for half the content and used the 2 cours to better flesh out the story and give both POVs justice.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Forgot to say earlier: I loved the other Wills being represented as shadows on the cave wall. Very fluid and fun.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bobulus posted:

Forgot to say earlier: I loved the other Wills being represented as shadows on the cave wall. Very fluid and fun.

Yeah one thing to the anime's credit is finding creative ways to do stuff and not remain limited by the CG. :)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Ronandt is the One Good Human Story Character and I wish all of the Human side of things was about Only Him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So was stick up his rear end prince the full brother of obsessive little sister? I hope he's just a run of the mill royal dick and not somehow important to the plot, that seems like the role for long hair prince. I'm betting on him faking giving half a poo poo.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Gyges posted:

So was stick up his rear end prince the full brother of obsessive little sister? I hope he's just a run of the mill royal dick and not somehow important to the plot, that seems like the role for long hair prince. I'm betting on him faking giving half a poo poo.

LN spoilers:
Yes, they're both offspring of the queen. Julius and Shun were both born to a concubine. There's also another older brother who was born to a different concubine. None of this is very important to the overall plot.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:siren:Stop posting LN spoilers in here, you fucks!:siren:

Goddamn

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bobulus posted:

Kinda felt disneyesque in a good way.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

:siren:Stop posting LN spoilers in here, you fucks!:siren:

Goddamn

This please. I get we're in interesting waters, and its mostly harmless if its just ln spoilers that give context from material the anime has already passed but it feels like a minefield we're all safer to not enter the minefield even if the guide insists he's done a really good job at marking the mines.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bobulus posted:

It was a very good scene overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nvEqrHbzXs

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm very much enjoying the speculation, I'll keep quiet.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maybe we should have a LN thread. There's going to be another LN in 9 days too so it's a good way to split off the potentially spoilery stuff.

New LN thread.

Anime only (and even Manga folks) folks should avoid.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962116

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 14, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe we should have a LN thread. There's going to be another LN in 9 days too so it's a good way to split off the potentially spoilery stuff.

New LN thread.

Anime only (and even Manga folks) folks should avoid.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962116

thank you for doing the needful

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Episode 11 preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xH_b4YA5rQ

The audio is apparently Kumoko and Ronandt arguing about who should be voicing the preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

One detail I didn't notice until it was pointed out to me, while the POV character is the humans the cave is more dark, the color palette is more dull, and Kumoko's webs are silky-ish, but when we switch back to Kumoko the cave is more lit up, the color palette is more brighter too, and anytime we see Kumoko's web it's kinda chunky looking.

It's a neat detail that works well with the differing POV this episode, just like Kumoko's actual size.