Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Power of Pecota posted:

How did you pronounce bologna? Like in bolognese?

apparently the correct way is buh loan yuh

but baloney is fine imo

JPrime posted:

wait your dad just has a whole island

revis made the entire afce his sons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They probably have a mailing address in a more central location that they check in with once or twice a week. I don't think you go to the effort of owning a whole rear end island if you actually wanted to see the mailman every day.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

This raises a good question - dudes who have actual islands to themselves, whether it’s domestic (those ones in New York) or international like the Bahamas.. how do they deliver your mail? There is almost no way they’ll spend the money required to cross a big inlet for one person to get their mail right?

I think it's like really rural locations where you just have a PO box you have to travel to.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I don't think you go to the effort of owning a whole rear end island if you actually wanted to see the mailman every day.

That’s a great point. Definitely just had a moment of “oh yeah you likely wouldn’t care if your Amazon packages aren’t arriving late when you’re that rich” after reading this

Kalli posted:

I think it's like really rural locations where you just have a PO box you have to travel to.

This has to be the answer. What a sweet gig that’d be - Johnny Depps personal mailman.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 13, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

the cost of being rich is that you don't get your ironmaster weights on time

speaking of which, ehud did you get yours yet?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Intruder posted:

apparently the correct way is buh loan yuh

but baloney is fine imo

revis made the entire afce his sons

Yeah, "gn" in Italian is pronounced roughly the same way as the tilde n in Spanish and h in Portuguese.

What irks me is that there's no y, e, or i in the word, imo just do away with the pretenses and spell it baloney if it's pronounced that way

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I finally get to go home tomorrow. :toot:

They also switched my pain management from dilaudid to oxycodone, which surprised me, as I was under the impression that oxycodone is much more nephrotoxic than dilaudid, and my kidneys are turbofucked. They're also ramping me up on amitriptyline (or however the gently caress it's spelled); supposedly it can help with chronic pain?

Hey, whatever, at least I get to go home. Which reminds me, I had put a few pounds of ground beef in the fridge before I went to the ED ... There's some milk in the fridge, too ... God help me. :suicide:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

D-LINK posted:

English is cool for its ability to cannibalize and adapt to new vocabulary. It took the idea of specificity Old German, which to this day, manages to have the ability to create hyper specific words, but Old English really diverged from German when the Norman's conquered the country in its infancy in 1066, introduced 300k words, that set a precedent for simply adopting words from other languages. This is a pretty rare feature for a language, and ultimately the basis of its overwhelming global success

Yeah, I used to be a big language prescriptivist until I realized that it’s actually rad as hell that English adapts and changes as the people that speak it do. It’s a wholly democratic process that I much prefer to someone like the Royal Spanish Academy decreeing from on high how language is supposed to work.

Also looking down on people for misspelling or mispronouncing words is inherently classist but that’s a :can:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

Hell yeah bro

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

They also switched my pain management from dilaudid to oxycodone, which surprised me, as I was under the impression that oxycodone is much more nephrotoxic than dilaudid, and my kidneys are turbofucked. They're also ramping me up on amitriptyline (or however the gently caress it's spelled); supposedly it can help with chronic pain?

Hey, whatever, at least I get to go home. Which reminds me, I had put a few pounds of ground beef in the fridge before I went to the ED ... There's some milk in the fridge, too ... God help me. :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tUX4tQ6m7U

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ezpExQ_k0&t=363s

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1370729668349939713
:getin:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Intruder posted:

the cost of being rich is that you don't get your ironmaster weights on time

speaking of which, ehud did you get yours yet?

Nope. Ordered them on the 2nd and they said expect up to 2 weeks for shipping.

Soon....very soon...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kalli posted:

Too late, it's established TFF lore now that your dad has some Isle of Dr. Moreau thing going on.

What do you think he needed a boat for

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pretty good.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 13, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ehud posted:

Nope. Ordered them on the 2nd and they said expect up to 2 weeks for shipping.

Soon....very soon...

The biggest downside is that the boxes the stuff comes in has a ton of styrofoam which is good as far as wanting your stuff to not get damaged goes, but since it's a bunch of weights that have been shifting around it's a ton of styrofoam "crumbs" everywhere

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Just drove the KZ 1000 for the 1st time, and it is very, very fast my dudes. Too bad it's entirely still too cold to be riding, it's all I wanna do now lol

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Freaquency posted:

Yeah, I used to be a big language prescriptivist until I realized that it’s actually rad as hell that English adapts and changes as the people that speak it do. It’s a wholly democratic process that I much prefer to someone like the Royal Spanish Academy decreeing from on high how language is supposed to work.

Also looking down on people for misspelling or mispronouncing words is inherently classist but that’s a :can:

I just really enjoy linguistics, grammar and especially etymology. It's interesting to me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Any time someone gets mad about a word getting added to the dictionary is funny because language is arbitrary and always has been

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

D-LINK posted:

Just drove the KZ 1000 for the 1st time, and it is very, very fast my dudes. Too bad it's entirely still too cold to be riding, it's all I wanna do now lol

You liter bike riders are insane by nature. The power there is.. barely controllable. What’s your favorite kinda bike to ride?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Intruder posted:

Any time someone gets mad about a word getting added to the dictionary is funny because language is arbitrary and always has been

Well, living languages are ever-changing. The only truly set, non-arbitrary ones are dead (eg; Latin)

Amy Pole Her posted:

You liter bike riders are insane by nature. The power there is.. barely controllable. What’s your favorite kinda bike to ride?

It's hard to imagine what this bike meant in context of 1977, this bike is sick even for now

e; sorry, forgot to answer your question. I like cruisers. I enjoy long rides, and the café racers and supersports aren't designed for touring, thus uncomfotable on trips. Favorite bike I ever rode is my dad's BMW R 1200 C (2003, I think)

D-LINK fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 13, 2021

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Intruder posted:

It just means a lot of people are using it the way it's defined. As an old, it's refreshing to know what the kids are saying. Like supposably and embiggen.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

D-LINK posted:

Well, living languages are ever-changing. The only truly set, non-arbitrary ones are dead (eg; Latin)

It's hard to imagine what this bike meant in context of 1977, this bike is sick even for now

e; sorry, forgot to answer your question. I like cruisers. I enjoy long rides, and the café racers and supersports aren't designed for touring, thus uncomfotable on trips. Favorite bike I ever rode is my dad's BMW R 1200 C (2003, I think)

Very cool, so we’re (as usual) pretty similar in our taste.

I’ve been riding this KTM 125 i picked up for cheap out in the wooded area here in south Florida, and I find myself looking at enduros and what not, but I really think I want something (used) that’s comfortable for quick brunch or shop trips. Never highway, 2-5 miles ride at a time.

Knowing that, and knowing I’m similar to you, what’s a good model that’d fit the Bill? Any suggestions? There are so many goddamn bikes to choose from now.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Very cool, so we’re (as usual) pretty similar in our taste.

I’ve been riding this KTM 125 i picked up for cheap out in the wooded area here in south Florida, and I find myself looking at enduros and what not, but I really think I want something (used) that’s comfortable for quick brunch or shop trips. Never highway, 2-5 miles ride at a time.

Knowing that, and knowing I’m similar to you, what’s a good model that’d fit the Bill? Any suggestions? There are so many goddamn bikes to choose from now.

Since you tool around in the woods too, you might like a dual sport. It's a whole in-between street and trail that are street legal and like the KTM models are good at both. It's probably what I would ride if I wasn't the kind of guy who will hop on a bike and head to Toronto or Burlington for the weekend. If you wanted maybe a used street bike that won't cost a poo poo ton, there's still a million Honda and Yamaha cruisers from the 80s that still had cool styling before every Japanese bike became a Harley clone or a supersport. I'm thinking of Honda NightHawks or Magna (V65 Magna in particular)and Yamaha Maxims or Fazers. Something like that will be my next vanity bike.

I like the bigger bikes bc even tho, let's say a 400cc bike is perfectly fine for tooling around town or commuting to work, being at 3000+ rpm at 70mph on the interstate just beats you the gently caress up on any trip longer than 30min.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Awesome. Appreciate that. When I get to the nitty gritty I’ll probably pm a few to run by you.

Bikes a ton of fun. Hitting an open stretch on that 2 stroke really felt awesome, and reminded me directly of the feeling I get on a fast boat or a bigger jetski. Makes me regret ever giving up power sports in the first place!

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Awesome. Appreciate that. When I get to the nitty gritty I’ll probably pm a few to run by you.

Bikes a ton of fun. Hitting an open stretch on that 2 stroke really felt awesome, and reminded me directly of the feeling I get on a fast boat or a bigger jetski. Makes me regret ever giving up power sports in the first place!

Hitting the power band on a 2 stroke is fully exhilarating and something everyone should get to do once or twice in their lives

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Intruder posted:

It isn’t so much that it’s a new word being added, but that supposably is a blatant mispronunciation and they’re just like ‘eh, gently caress it close enough.’

It’s arbitrary and I generally dig the evolving nature of language but that one is just a little :psyboom:

CannonFodder posted:

Is it bone-a-fides or bone-a-fee-days?

Depends on whether or not you are Alex Trebek.

But that one I think you can get away with both it’s just quixotic is derived from Quixote. No one pronounces it Don QUIKS-otty. Maybe they do but probably not right?

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 13, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My degrees are in journalism and public relations, and I was able to test out of all my editing courses in college, so "supposably" makes my brain want to erupt through my ear canals.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Timby posted:

My degrees are in journalism and public relations, and I was able to test out of all my editing courses in college, so "supposably" makes my brain want to erupt through my ear canals.

This is fine too! People who use language as their profession should have standards that make it easier for everyone to better understand them. People should also acknowledge that spoken and written versions of languages are relatives, but not identical twins.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Juggernaut posted:

This might be your worst take but I'll keep following

they cause me to die if stung so they can gently caress off

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Timby posted:

I just don't understand why they would do this. People frequently mispronounce this word so let's make the mispronunciation it's own word that means the exact same thing. Why?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

D-LINK posted:

Hitting the power band on a 2 stroke is fully exhilarating and something everyone should get to do once or twice in their lives

500cc 4 cylinder 2 stroke is still the biggest grin a bike has ever put on my face.

Liter bikes are fine, but those things were actively trying to kill you and wanted you off of it by any means necessary. Nothing like mid corner, knee almost down, rear tire spinning up while it starts to come on the pipe, start to stand it back up and the front wheel just lofts until you shift.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I just don't understand why they would do this. People frequently mispronounce this word so let's make the mispronunciation it's own word that means the exact same thing. Why?

Petition to rename SAS to Supposably About Sports

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

500cc 4 cylinder 2 stroke is still the biggest grin a bike has ever put on my face.

Liter bikes are fine, but those things were actively trying to kill you and wanted you off of it by any means necessary. Nothing like mid corner, knee almost down, rear tire spinning up while it starts to come on the pipe, start to stand it back up and the front wheel just lofts until you shift.

Fortunately, I'm not as aggressive on bikes as I was at 20, so I'm not trying to lean a mint condition classic bike like it's a GSXR and I'm already too conscious of the chrome on that almost straight pipe to push the issue. I'm sure I'll get frisky with the top end speed on the highways tho bc it's already calling me

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Same reason they included irregardless etc. Gotta adapt right?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

this is a post to find another post

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Timby posted:

I actually take that for my muscle based tmj. It's actually an antidepressant but they have seen that one of its side effects is muscle relaxing. So I take one at night before bedtime and besides making me a little woozy and not wanting to get up in the morning, it does its job.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Intruder posted:

"All words are made up." - Thor Odinson

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. Here and AI are my favorite two corners of the internet, you’re all super kind folks.

D-LINK posted:

My dad has one of these in his endless ocean of bikes (or technically a Z1-900 or whatever the hell) and I used to have free reign to ride it to school when I was a Junior/Senior in high school (even rode it to school in nothing but a bedsheet toga during homecoming week lol) and yeah, something that big, klunky, and heavy has absolutely no business being as fast as it is. To answer your thought, he said these things were just absolutely insane to people when they came out in the 70s. He took it apart years ago to do some poo poo to it and it just sits in the corner of the garage now because he has serious motorcycle ADHD and can’t finish a project before finding something else to buy and tool around with.

Of course, that just means I get to pop over and abuse any new toys he wants to show off to me. He picked up an old Ducati 990 SuperSport that I got to beat the poo poo out of on all of the back country roads last summer, and that thing sounds absolutely gorgeous. He also somehow managed to find a Ducati F1B which is something I’ve never heard about, but it’s basically a late 80s homologated race bike and only about 200 of them exist in the US. He’s got some old Ducati whisperer greybeard going through it right now, and I cannot wait to gently caress around with that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I miss my harley softtail quite often, but the girlfriend is worried about me becoming a smear on the road so I don't ride anymore.