Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Diabetic posted:

So jumping into EDF4.1 would turn me off compared to QoL of EDF5?

Hi I found EDF 4.1 to be my favorite even compared to EDF5. It's janky but has a TON of spirit and a better EDF song than 5. Make sure you try all of the different classes as they're very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Diabetic posted:

The difference between 4.1 and 5 is pretty much this:

In EDF, there are four or five classes. You level up a class’ max HP by picking up boxes that drop during gameplay. You unlock new gear and weapons by picking up item boxes that drop.

In 4.1, you only level the class you’re actively playing. Also, if the item you pick up is one you already own, you get nothing. If you die, you get nothing.

In 5, every fourth box you pick up levels one of your off-classes, and off-classes get 25% of the HP increases that your main class gets. If you pick up a duplicate item, it improves that item’s stats. If you die, you still get a portion of what you picked up, so you make a little progress.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There are also class improvements in 5. Wing Divers get a really fun air dash, Air Raiders get to throw out their limpet guns and become air strike wizards, etc. And you know, new enemies and stages and guns. I like the giant aliens who look just like us in 5 a lot more than the Hectors in 4. Course for variety it would've been best to just have both.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
How is the black sheep Iron Rain?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Are any of these Pillars of Eternity-type games where they lean into adding QoL improvements that a filthy casual like me would find frustrating?

Try Legend of Grimrock, The Quest, Demon Gaze, or Ray Gigant. Of those, the latter is considered so easy people dock points on it just because of that. Demon Gaze is Wizardry with all the bullshit streamlined, but it's apparently not available on Steam. The Quest has a ridiculous amount of content and having started as a mobile game it's also very streamlined. Legend of Grimrock is a modern take on the classic Eye of the Beholder. None of them are what I'd call frustrating in that you need guides to do anything. Demon Gaze has optional endgame bosses that do need you to break the combat system, but by then you are either all in or have dropped it at some time way before that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Diabetic posted:

D3 Publishing has a sale on Steam right now including EDF/ Earth Defense Force.

Goons, sell me on this or tell me it's crap.

EDF is the greatest, most wonderful crap ever

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

BexGu posted:

It’s fine, but there’s really no compelling reason to play it when the main series exists.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

BexGu posted:

The new classes, character customization, and getting to play dress up are great. It's a little prettier and some of the new enemies are neat. Everything else is a huge step backwards. Way fewer enemies on maps, weapons, armor, and dumb t-shirts all compete for your precious money, which comes in at a miserable trickle. You can't try out weapons before you buy them, hope that gun you spent 3 stages saving up for isn't total garbage! The netcode, at least on console, was just historically awful. It would constantly snap your aim back to where the host thought you were looking, however many ms ago they received an update, so you were fighting to point your gun in the direction you wanted at all times. Maybe it's better on PC, I've never seen anyone ever talk about it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

My patience bears fruit. :classiclol:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Diabetic posted:

You'll appreciate the differences more if you play 4.1 first. That does not mean 4.1 is just plain worse, it's just different. Some QoL things are better in 5, but don't let it dissuade you from trying out 4.1.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

EDF is the greatest, most wonderful crap ever
It's the biggest success story of the line that spawned it, I think? In that it literally started in a deliberate "budget game" line (that wasn't just EDF, The OneeChanbara series also debuted there.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oneechanbara is a game that I always found weirdly hilarious. It's a completely unashamed throwback to exploitation splatter movies: scantily clad girls with giant chainsaws ripping zombies apart and getting absolutely drenched in blood. There's something almost charming about it because it doesn't pretend to be anything that it isn't.

Peewi posted:

I thought it made sense. It's a big spinning spiral and there had previously been spinning spiral obstacles that you have to use time powers to get past.
Huh, now that you say it, I suppose that would make sense. I guess I'm just very used to hitboxes in sprite-based games not really having a lot to do with what the attack actually looks like, you know what I mean?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 13, 2021

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Hogama posted:

It's the biggest success story of the line that spawned it, I think? In that it literally started in a deliberate "budget game" line (that wasn't just EDF, The OneeChanbara series also debuted there.)

Yeah, the Simple2000 series was a cool idea. Some of the games were fun, there was a tank one I quite liked.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

There needs to be an update to Simple 2000 Ultimate Series Vol. 95: The Zombie vs. Ambulance

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the biggest upgrade from edf 4.1 to 5 is the pickup all drops cheat. grabbing boxes was always my biggest problem with edf games, and now you can just skip that poo poo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Diabetic posted:

D3 Publishing has a sale on Steam right now including EDF/ Earth Defense Force.

Goons, sell me on this or tell me it's crap.
You really can't go wrong with EDF5 if you want endless explosions, dismemberment, and blood covering entire buildings and streets. I recommend the decoy DLC packs as well (Not the Wing Diver one). You can attach dancing/singing animes to people or monsters and see them break AI and start attacking each other.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You really can't go wrong with EDF5 if you want endless explosions, dismemberment, and blood covering entire buildings and streets. I recommend the decoy DLC packs as well (Not the Wing Diver one). You can attach dancing/singing animes to people or monsters and see them break AI and start attacking each other.
...did we play the same game? Because, I mean, the bugs fall apart pretty easily when you shoot them, but the blood literally goes away as soon as it appears. It's as cartoonish as Starship Trooper style hyperviolence can get.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the biggest upgrade from edf 4.1 to 5 is the pickup all drops cheat. grabbing boxes was always my biggest problem with edf games, and now you can just skip that poo poo.

I should really go back and play more of that using this cheat. Game's great but it is a pain in the rear end to constantly be worrying about grabbing all the drops.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EDF5 is an amazing game, except the song in it sucks compared to 4.1

The story and character moments go places

e: At least one mission was once by Independence Day-ing a UFO and ending the mission with zero survivors

perc2
May 16, 2020

Siralim Ultimate is out, I wishlisted it because it looked genuinely odd and it turns out it's not bad, there's a lot of content but I can't say for how long the formula will hold up.... but I kinda like grinding in a weird chill way so YMMV

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289810/Siralim_Ultimate/

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

EDF 4.1 is glorious, EDF 5 is glorious+1

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

perc2 posted:

Siralim Ultimate is out, I wishlisted it because it looked genuinely odd and it turns out it's not bad, there's a lot of content but I can't say for how long the formula will hold up....

There were already three previous Siralim games and I've played all of them, so you can believe me when I say that the formula has some surprising staying power if you love monster collecting games. Each of these games has enough content to keep you playing for weeks. It would very much surprise me if Ultimate were any worse than the rest of the series.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

perc2 posted:

Siralim Ultimate is out, I wishlisted it because it looked genuinely odd and it turns out it's not bad, there's a lot of content but I can't say for how long the formula will hold up.... but I kinda like grinding in a weird chill way so YMMV

It's a game designed to be a timewaster. If you like to endlessly theorycraft various builds based on a million different creatures, classes, items and various other modifiers, this is the game for you.
The combat itself is a blur, but the real meat of the game is in preparing and putting together teams.

Edit: You can literally create macros for each of your monsters, and set it up so you can do all fighting by holding down one button. There are also classes based around doing this.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 13, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The best thing about EDF 5 is that air raiders get strikes that are timer based rather than credits based, so you don't have to deal with the lovely limpet guns.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cardiovorax posted:

...did we play the same game? Because, I mean, the bugs fall apart pretty easily when you shoot them, but the blood literally goes away as soon as it appears. It's as cartoonish as Starship Trooper style hyperviolence can get.
I play the Steam version, so the blood stays for a while and there are always several painters to explode and cover their landscape canvas.

Leal posted:

The best thing about EDF 5 is that air raiders get strikes that are timer based rather than credits based, so you don't have to deal with the lovely limpet guns.
You can also do it from the safety of the rear and configure where to aim it. No more tossing beacons at the front and getting grabbed by dragons.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I keep bashing my head against Loop Hero. I keep fighting 5-enemy clusters. I keep not getting orbs. My last run, I got to loop 4, plenty of skeletons, vampires, chests, etc. without a single sword or shield drop. I'm beginning to think the RNG just hates my loving guts.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

I play the Steam version, so the blood stays for a while and there are always several painters to explode and cover their landscape canvas.
Huh, so am I, but it's still going away really quickly. Weird.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I keep bashing my head against Loop Hero. I keep fighting 5-enemy clusters. I keep not getting orbs. My last run, I got to loop 4, plenty of skeletons, vampires, chests, etc. without a single sword or shield drop. I'm beginning to think the RNG just hates my loving guts.

Without accumulating passive bonuses the RNG can be insanely brutal. People who have had good luck will tell you it's not that bad, but it really loving is at certain points in the game. My biggest tip for you for mitigating this is to not focus on skeletons, but on spiders and possibly rats. Spiders are incredibly weak and spawn very quickly, it's easy to have setups where you get back to back fights of 4 spiders plus a vampire every single loop, and that's good for loot generation.

Also, I'm not certain if it's even possible for the rarest resources to drop on act 1. Orbs of expansion definitely can, but they seem more common on higher acts.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
When did Steam stop letting you email gifts? Is there any way I can buy a steam gift to put in my inventory and email it out that way?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

treat posted:

When did Steam stop letting you email gifts? Is there any way I can buy a steam gift to put in my inventory and email it out that way?

Isn’t that a publisher thing? Like some don’t allow it or whatever.

You’d probably be better off buying the key from fanatical or something and emailing it that way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Putting games into your inventory is a thing of the past. I think it’s through Steam or nothing.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Nyaa posted:

My patience bears fruit. :classiclol:
Where is it this cheap? I'm not seeing WotC below $10 anywhere right now, unless there's a coupon that isn't getting caught on the tracker.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Scalding Coffee posted:

I play the Steam version, so the blood stays for a while and there are always several painters to explode and cover their landscape canvas
Game idea: Splatoon, but you just have normal guns and there are enemies you can kill to paint the stage.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Game idea: Splatoon, but you just have normal guns and there are enemies you can kill to paint the stage.
That would make for a great twin stick arena shooter.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Commander Keene posted:

I think I played an old flash game like that at some point.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Armor-Piercing posted:

Where is it this cheap? I'm not seeing WotC below $10 anywhere right now, unless there's a coupon that isn't getting caught on the tracker.

The full bundle, with adaptive pricing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MonkeyforaHead posted:

If the game is being unfair, you can manually increase the drop rates of enemies, which I think are low for a single-player game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

If the game is being unfair, you can manually increase the drop rates of enemies, which I think are low for a single-player game.
How do you do that? I have only been playing the game for an hour or two yet, but I've heard about how everything massively slows down pretty much right after the point where I'm at.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

How do you do that? I have only been playing the game for an hour or two yet, but I've heard about how everything massively slows down pretty much right after the point where I'm at.

I know that the file you're looking for is Loop Hero\game\assets\variables.ini but 90% of the inline commenting is in Russian so I haven't gone looking for what I want to change. Except game_speed which I set to 90. Makes things much less tedious to sit through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I know that the file you're looking for is Loop Hero\game\assets\variables.ini but 90% of the inline commenting is in Russian so I haven't gone looking for what I want to change. Except game_speed which I set to 90. Makes things much less tedious to sit through.
Thanks. I'm sure it won't be a problem, I managed to find my way around STALKER's asset files well enough and those were pretty much the same.