Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's called canola oil over here, although mostly you can only find it cold-pressed, toasted canola oil is not so much of a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cardiovorax posted:

Camembert is a very common filling. I have a few of those in my fridge right now. What you do is to bake them and then serve them hot while the camembert is still melty, together with gooseberry sauce. It's delicious.

I am a total weirdo, so I actually really love fish cake. Well, Fischfrikadellen, but same thing.

frikandellen were a guilty pleasure. they look like crap, they often taste like crap, but sometimes it's garbage day.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The british "chip butty" ...

Never much been a fan of chip butties, but then I'm not much of a fan of chips in general unless they're McDonalds fries.

Now a sausage or bacon butty on the other hand....gimme.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

You could get toasted rapeseed oil from a restaurant supplier but it's going to be significantly more expensive than standard canola or peanut oil which is probably what they use over here.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Spaghetti pie is great, my italian grandma used to make it for the holidays. She died last November so I feel obligated to make it for Christmas this year if we can do a family thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Walla posted:

You could get toasted rapeseed oil from a restaurant supplier but it's going to be significantly more expensive than standard canola or peanut oil which is probably what they use over here.
Canola oil and rapeseed oil are actually the same thing, as far as I'm aware.

e: oh, wait, the toasted thing. Yeah, that not so much.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

Ah, that explains a lot. Rapeseed oil is actually super common here. It's one of the most commonly grown oil plants. There is actually a good reason why the FDA used to prohibit its usage - wild rapeseed, or Raps, as we call it, contains a lot of toxic glucosinolate, which is potentially harmful above a certain dosage. Modern rapeseed crops, or double-zero crops as they're called here, are nearly entirely free of glucosinolate. It's a very good and entirely healthy kind of cooking oil that you can get in basically every European grocery store.

Interesting to know! Definitely not a thing here.

Well the actual reason it's banned is erucic acid I think, not glucosinolate, so

Erucic acid causes heart attacks in mice at super high doses but billions of people across the globe use oils containing it with no ill effect. Canola oil was an attempt to make rapeseed oil without erucic acid but in the process they eliminated any and all flavor

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Maybe I don't know all the exact details of the regulations and the plants involved but canola and caiziyou are definitely not even remotely the same thing

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't really like spaghetti either. It's a texture thing because I like flatter/thicker pastas just fine but I can't do spaghetti or anything thinner at all. And living with a wife and son with acid reflux means I no longer eat tomato sauces except when I order a pizza for myself.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe I don't know all the exact details of the regulations and the plants involved but canola and caiziyou are definitely not even remotely the same thing

I'm not sure either. You can buy rapeseed oil in the supermarket but again it's pricey. Think a top shelf extra virgin olive oil pricey. I've never seen a toasted variety though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Walla posted:

I'm not sure either. You can buy rapeseed oil in the supermarket but again it's pricey. Think a top shelf extra virgin olive oil pricey. I've never seen a toasted variety though.
Toasting the seeds first would definitely give it a different flavour, so that's likely what makes the biggest difference.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

As appetizers, though, not as part of the dish. Or maybe that's another American thing? Italian restaurants usually just serve some ciabatta and garlic butter while you wait for your food here. I usually don't eat a lot of it.

Walla posted:

There's a difference between a piece of bread and butter on the side and making a sandwich of it, as far as texture and my taste buds are concerned. I can understand why people like it, it's just not for me.

Both my moms served spaghetti with some bread. Sometimes just like sandwich bread toasted with some butter and garlic salt or garlic-butter. Sometimes with nicer garlic bread from a loaf or a Texas Toast type garlic bread.

Sandwich version is the same deal, can be garlic bread or even toasted garlic cheese bread, whatevs. In any case, it's something that tastes good but holy moly just too much bread since noodles is just string bread. I think it's also why spaghetti sucks as a wildcard topping in a stunt taco/burger/pizza. Same goes for mac n cheese, mac n chz on a burger is just diluting the cheese with noodles piling onto the buns job.

i love spaghetti sauce, probably just tomato sauce in general. salsa is delicious too. i like that there are already several kinds of spaghetti sauce soups. literally anything can be done to a tomato + onion + bell pepper and the outcome will always be "delicious". when i die i want them to fill my body with soil and the seeds of the holy trio for wild humans to feed off of

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

i love spaghetti sauce, probably just tomato sauce in general. salsa is delicious too. i like that there are already several kinds of spaghetti sauce soups. literally anything can be done to a tomato + onion + bell pepper and the outcome will always be "delicious". when i die i want them to fill my body with soil and the seeds of the holy trio for wild humans to feed off of
Pureed tomatoes, cream and canned tuna make for a surprisingly good and quick soup dish. The tuna gives it some texture and the cream balances out the acidity of tomatoes. All it needs on top of that is some salt and maybe a pinch of sugar.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Huh. I just tried to return something to Amazon and they just said "sure, here's your money, keep the thing, we don't need it back." I guess that's kinda neat? Free PC case fan for me, yay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cardiovorax posted:

Huh. I just tried to return something to Amazon and they just said "sure, here's your money, keep the thing, we don't need it back." I guess that's kinda neat? Free PC case fan for me, yay.

They do that pretty often, its not worth the shipping to get it back and sell it as used/refurbished so they just say keep it.

Amazon customer service used to be really top notch, I've had a bunch of things where they just let me keep them, or when it didn't arrive on time they sent me another and then the first one arrived eventually and they said just keep the extra. Actually felt like they cared about keeping your business.

Of course it was temporary and now that they've got everybody sold on Prime they don't care as much and so you can't depend on it, sometimes they do want you to return the thing even though its only worth $5.

And obviously if you try to exploit it then they'll pick up on you fast. But its nice to get those freebies occasionally, Bezos can afford it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cardiovorax posted:

Afaik they don't give a poo poo unless you start repeatedly returning stuff. Their margins are so huge it'd probably cost them more to process it coming back in than they'd get reselling it.

Only because they criminally underpay the suppliers, warehouse staff and delivery drivers and don't pay tax though. :capitalism:

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Holy poo poo Siralim is the game I've always wanted. Being able to summon your enemies after defeating them in a battle is a dream game idea since my childhood!! :D

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

They do that pretty often, its not worth the shipping to get it back and sell it as used/refurbished so they just say keep it.

Amazon customer service used to be really top notch, I've had a bunch of things where they just let me keep them, or when it didn't arrive on time they sent me another and then the first one arrived eventually and they said just keep the extra. Actually felt like they cared about keeping your business.
Yeah, I figured the same thing. The fan was like five dollars, shipping alone would cost more than that. That said, I've had to call Amazon customer support multiple times over the last few months and they've always been completely ace. Last month, I ordered a bottle of argan oil and a book and they shipped it together. The package arrived ripped open and the bottle was broken. Within ten minutes of calling, I had a full refund on both the oil and the book. There's just nothing I can really complain about when that sort of support experience is the rule for me personally, not the exception.

They may be complete and utter corporate shitbags to their employees, but as customer, I've never been treated better anywhere else.

stev posted:

Afaik they don't give a poo poo unless you start repeatedly returning stuff. Their margins are so huge it'd probably cost them more to process it coming back in than they'd get reselling it.
I return like 1 out of every 4 items I order there, I think, but then I also pay for Prime, so that's kinda the entire point.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i have a CPU fan I couldnt fit in my dang case bc the mobo ram position makes the fan clip on too high for the case to close :I

I also have the default CPU fan unused, was thinking if there was a way to hook them up to use as tiny keyboard hand fans

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I was just a dumbass and measured the front fans (140mm) instead of the back fan (120mm) because I thought they'd be the same, so it's honestly my own fault. There's plenty of space left in the case, I just ordered the wrong thing because I was too lazy to disconnect all the cables and turn the tower around.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I bounced off of Strikers hard. It just feels too loose for me in terms of a beat-em-up, and I wish it was more tight and mechanical - I don't need it to be DMC/Bayonetta but at least something closer to Nier. The part I quit at was during the first infiltration which is a long endurance gauntlet. Normally it's okay to blow spells all the time because you can regen to full HP/SP at any save point of which there are tons, but not during this. Spells are the only way to interrupt enemy spells, so if you don't want to waste your MP (you do not have a ton of max MP, maybe 10 casts total) you have to totally disengage from the fight because enemy spell indicators are impossible to see underneath all the enemies and it's hard to reliably dodge them. I think I was supposed to buy way more healing items or something, because I got to like the fourth boss fight in the gauntlet and everyone was at 1 HP and basically no MP and I just couldn't win, so I had to choose to exit the gauntlet which puts you back at the very beginning before a ten-minute survival fight and I didn't feel like doing all that again.

I had this take up to the Alice fight, and then the game completely turned around for me. I think the reasons for this are:

- most character combos don't really unlock until the second or third dungeon, which is lame
- not enough feedback from normal hits, especially if you're hitting weaknesses with combos
- you don't have any way to get SP items until you can cook food, at which point you get SHITLOADS.
- game doesn't teach you to dodge nearly enough. dodge like it's Hades.

It drastically shifts once you can cook up SP items, and gets way more fun imo. It's mechanically interesting but it has an SMT4-esque first dungeon problem.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I finished banjo kazooie. It was alright; I was sick of the camera at the end and I hate beak bombing

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zaphod42 posted:

Of course it was temporary and now that they've got everybody sold on Prime they don't care as much and so you can't depend on it, sometimes they do want you to return the thing even though its only worth $5.

And obviously if you try to exploit it then they'll pick up on you fast. But its nice to get those freebies occasionally, Bezos can afford it.

my recent experience with their cs has been abysmal. among other things, first being told i can keep a return, and then being told the opposite by another associate, or being promised a discount and then when i tried to claim it being told by a second associate that the first associate couldn't authorize one. plenty of that sort of thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I finished banjo kazooie. It was alright; I was sick of the camera at the end and I hate beak bombing

beak bombie was weird as hell, those jiggies were the worst when you needed to bomb a bunch of little targets with this attack that never aimed where you thought it did

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Those snowmen in Freezeezy Peak can gently caress right off I tell you what

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Finished Hypnospace Outlaw today and was surprised by how much actual story was there. I wish I'd learned about the hint system earlier in the game though because it's very much the sort of game where you don't want "go here do this" but instead "maybe someone in goodtime valley knows about this?"

Hint system is just search "hint"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rarity posted:

Those snowmen in Freezeezy Peak can gently caress right off I tell you what

ha-haw haw haw haw

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I just replaced the rear bumper of my Kia Soul. That was the first and last time I'm ever doing that poo poo since there's a reason I have never done body work for a living. Now I'm going to take a shower and have a couple of enchiladas delivered before driving into the next chapter of Detective Pikachu and maybe starting the last game of the Ace Attorney Trilogy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
chicken soup for the kia soul

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Walla posted:

I just replaced the rear bumper of my Kia Soul. That was the first and last time I'm ever doing that poo poo since there's a reason I have never done body work for a living. Now I'm going to take a shower and have a couple of enchiladas delivered before driving into the next chapter of Detective Pikachu and maybe starting the last game of the Ace Attorney Trilogy.

Kia souls are dumb plastic toy cars

- someone who keeps being “pleasantly surprised” by the soul’s “space-saving decisions”

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I actually really like the Soul. It's easy to get in and out of and it's comfortable to sit in which is really important for my disabled wife.

Some rear end in a top hat backed their trailer hitch into the bumper and didn't bother to leave a note so buying a new bumper and doing it myself saved me over $400. Thankfully our rear bumper was 2 tone already so it looks exactly the same as before.

The rear bumper of a 2015 Soul is an exceptional bitch. The rear fender panels are attached to the lower bumper by 8 screws on each side, so what is normally 1 big piece on most vehicles is 3 separate pieces. It was not a fun time but the finished job does look pretty decent.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 14, 2021

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Walla posted:

I actually really like the Soul. It's easy to get in and out of and it's comfortable to sit in which is really important for my disabled wife.

Some rear end in a top hat backed their trailer hitch into the bumper and didn't bother to leave a note so buying a new bumper and doing it myself saved me over $400. Thankfully our rear bumper was 2 tone already so it looks exactly the same as before.

The rear bumper of a 2015 Soul is an exceptional bitch. The rear fender panels are attached to the lower bumper by 8 screws on each side, so what is normally 1 big piece on most vehicles is 3 separate pieces. It was not a fun time but the finished job does look pretty decent.

Great job. I'm having to increasingly self service my beater of a car and it's always a huge pain. I wish we had serviceable public transportation where I live :/

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

xedo posted:

I realize it does not SEEM like AI Somnium could just keep better after that. And yet!

Okay well I finished the somniums and while the loving dance sequence exceeded expectations, I still think running away with the receptionist is the true and best ending.

I liked it. It's like hanging out with your high friend as he describes the plot of Lost Highway, except he can't remember it at all and it just keeps getting weirder and funnier and he can't keep a straight face.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished God of War tonight. This is one of the best Sony games ever made.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I went to check out a local chain of rental stores one last time before they went out of business forever and they were selling all their stuff, and God of War was 10$ and I was still didn't bother, I don't know why I'm just not interested in any of the Sony "prestige" games

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Walla posted:

Americans will usually have a piece of bread and butter with their pasta. It's generally used to sop up any remaining sauce after the meal.

Sometimes I like to take my spaghetti and put some on my buttered bread, like my grandpa used to do. :)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its a powerful combination. i'm not bound by such arbitrary restrictions, as "starch on starch". as far as i'm concerned its just "good on good"

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

God of War was good but I too am over dark cinematic AAA games

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

"starch on starch"

I've never heard this phrase before people here using it to refer to Yakisoba Pan. Yeah I love rice-filled burritos I cannot be stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My older sister would reheat spaghetti in a microwave without any water so it'd get all superheated, gross, and oddly crystalized, and then she'd put it between some bread and eat it as a spaghetti sandwich.

:barf: