Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Angrymog posted:

I'm in England, but I ought to find out if I can get something to do mine. I have 6 2mx90cm (i think - they're loving massive) single glazed sash windows in wooden frames.

ETA: Apparently yes, windows are secondary work, and you need primary work done too to get the grant for the windows, and the scheme closes (I presume at the end of March.)

Sliding sash windows are good in that they can be massive and the way they open they're really good for cooling (cause having a separate opening at the top and bottom of the room creates air currents which are beneficial) but they are necessarily less secure and less weatherproof than side or top-hung windows, so that's a consideration.

I spent 2 full years of my life designing a sliding sash window system, doing all the programming to make them on our CNC machine etc. so I know quite a bit about them.

E: What a terrible snipe for page 69. however I have a wonderfully appropriate cat post:

https://twitter.com/whatevil/status/1365810822837075970?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jakabite posted:

They had the loving TSG turn up. The TSG are the territorial support group, a famously violent squad of riot cops. I've been in a copshop when they all left before and saw their insignia, which they hide very well apart from the t-shirts they wear under their armour - I'm not kidding, it's a skull with crossed batons behind it. loving animals.

If it's any consolation, a lot of things that Thick and Stupid Group touch end up going nowhere very slowly because they struggle to write statements that actually evidence any offences for people who should be bang to rights, so look out for the "Mass of inappropriate prosecutions quietly discontinued" story by the end of summer

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

therattle posted:

“Mistakes were made. Lessons will be learned”. Always in the loving passive voice. “Mistakes” were made by whom exactly?

Mistake was not abolishing the police.

The lesson learned is we really should abolish the police.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

kyojin posted:

Sadiq is going to have a very serious conversation with Cressida Dick and congratulate her for managing to not execute anyone this time
To my shame I had not realised that her order to kill an innocent man Jean Charles de Menezes did no damage to her promotion.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Compare Lammy's loving terrible response to Zara's https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1370855111904354308?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

learnincurve posted:

“Well the middle aged white woman shouldn’t have been politely asking to get her glasses after the policeman slapped them off her face for laying down flowers” is a hard sell even for the daily express

https://twitter.com/ilyas_nagdee/status/1370883610262310912?s=19

The Express doesn't give a poo poo

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Would've been interesting if she actually went to that vigil at night.

Now that would've made headlines, especially if some of the attending police didn't know.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Compare Lammy's loving terrible response to Zara's https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1370855111904354308?s=20

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1370858287999152135

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'd mutter something about Lammy getting more boring as he gets older, but 'young' Lammy was a fan of smacking kids.

Probably a large part of why he's never made big waves within Labour.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Nothing will change soon. It’ll take a generation raised to fear and distrust the state and the police and the press and all the rest of them. That is happening, I hope.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
8-page birdwatching pullout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :parrot:

150 birds!!!!!! :holy:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I don't really see parliament wanting to make an enemy of the Met any time soon so they can probably get away with it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

8-page birdwatching pullout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :parrot:

150 birds!!!!!! :holy:

There's a bird/breast/tit/boob joke there.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

happyhippy posted:

"All the way to page 10 this time?"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

happyhippy posted:

Is there?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Trin Tragula posted:

If it's any consolation, a lot of things that Thick and Stupid Group touch end up going nowhere very slowly because they struggle to write statements that actually evidence any offences for people who should be bang to rights, so look out for the "Mass of inappropriate prosecutions quietly discontinued" story by the end of summer

even if people don't get convicted, there's still having to go through the process of being arrested, which is an intimidation tactic in itself.

on a moderately related note here is a video from the woman who got pinned to the floor. legend

https://twitter.com/counterfireorg/status/1370899755786702849

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

So why is a 6pm curfew for men a good thing?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Pretty sure in 33 years I've had no urge to kidnap or rape a women (or man) before or after 6pm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not, for a variety of reasons. And it's also not happening.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Salisbury Snape posted:

Pretty sure in 33 years I've had no urge to kidnap or rape a women (or man) before or after 6pm

Good streak! Shame about whatever happened in 1987

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
idk if it's explicitly why she said it but I assumed it was a response to the police telling women that they shouldn't be outside alone at night?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Salisbury Snape posted:

That's awesome man, keep us posted. Looking thick, solid, tight

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
nobody should be outside, ever. it's a bad idea. there's weather out there. and sometimes wasps.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
there's wasps inside too sometimes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably none in space though, so elon musk has the right idea.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Salisbury Snape posted:

So why is a 6pm curfew for men a good thing?

It's not. But it was a rhetorical thing said by one person, not a serious proposal. And the fact that you've as far as I can tell never posted in these threads before and now you're here with some bullshit contrarian argument makes me think you aren't in here in good faith, and don't actually care about the safety of women. So gently caress off.

E: @Trin, thanks for the reassurance, and I know, they're thankfully awful at being procedurally correct. But as said above, arrest and all that comes after (bail, searches of your home, re-interviews, etc.) can be super damaging. I went from being a fiery protestor and outgoing person to a hermit who's still terrified of cops because of a violent arrest by the the spice girls. I used to feel I was above that fear, as a confident, fairly neurotypical white guy, but that experience absolutely shattered me. Hell, I'm still under investigation a year on technically and still live in fear of that court summons, or a knock with a search warrant, even though I know logically that the case is piss weak. The feeling of being in a cell and being told over and over that you'll be in front of a court and off to prison for few years the following morning is indescribably traumatic, even if it's all lies and bluster. Even the feeling of being cuffed and isolated from your people is awful. They make sure you know that they have the power and your life and safety is entirely at their whim. And it is awful.

E2: While we're here, it's worth reminding everyone: do not talk to the police, if you're arrested say nothing but your name, nationality and address, and get a proper solicitor - Bindmans or Hodge, Jones and Allen in London. If outside of London check before you go to a protest which solicitors Green and Black Cross recommend. Your freedom could literally depend on it. I'd almost certainly be serving time right now if not for having done that.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 14, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

These days if you go outside as a man you are arrested, these days.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

XMNN posted:

idk if it's explicitly why she said it but I assumed it was a response to the police telling women that they shouldn't be outside alone at night?

On this note, can we maybe talk about the message sent by the police waiting around for a while and then going in heavy on this particular protest as soon as the sun went down?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

On this note, can we maybe talk about the message sent by the police waiting around for a while and then going in heavy on this particular protest as soon as the sun went down?

I think a big misconception will be that this was incompetence, but it wasn't. It was the Met establishing the one fact that they rely on: 'we are the boss'. It doesn't matter who you are, they will gently caress you up if you question them. They did that. Will it be successful? Probably, but maybe not. In any case that's more people who see them for what they are and that can't continue forever. We might feel despondent but people won't be kicked around forever. I spoke to people who were there today and the police were kettled by the public multiple times today. People were de-arrested with force. The takeaway might be the violence the police inflicted on the people, but the people inflicted violence back. We saw it at BLM last year, we've seen it here, and a police force cannot continue to operate if enough of the public turn on them - that probably won't happen this year or in the next ten, but it will happen.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bornbytheriver posted:

To my shame I had not realised that her order to kill an innocent man Jean Charles de Menezes did no damage to her promotion.
It helped it along greatly.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can't wait for the inevitable hot takes of "so-called feminists, and yet they are calling for the sacking of a woman in a high profile job. Curious."

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BeckettUnite/status/1370864056035332096?s=19

All this oval office does is abstain

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

What are your blokes thoughts on the potential "6pm curfew" for men in UK cities in order to supposedly make them safer?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Alright fellow UK'ers, seeing as y'all are real good at solving difficult problems here in this thread, here's one. How do I deal with rats?

I live in London in an old converted townhouse, on a street of identical old townhouses. I'm on the ground floor, there's another flat in the basement, and another on the first floor. Within 100 metres of my place there is also

- A construction site;
- A railway "non-tunnel" i.e. a big ditch in the ground with a bunch of rails in there, an old-fashioned "dig and cover" type of thing I think, except the part closest to me is not covered;
- A little alcove between two houses with some bins in it, owned by whichever neighbour I guess and used (sloppily) by that neighbour and also who knows who else.

Now I'm quite sure there are no rats (or mice) inside my flat anywhere. I haven't found any holes big enough for them and there are no droppings or anything. However, a couple of nights now I've woken up to what sounds like a rodent, bigger than a mouse, digging around, perhaps literally, or perhaps just moving around, inside one of the walls. I've also seen rats on the street a few times; not often and not recently (most recent sighting was last year), but then again I don't often walk around on the street in the middle of the night. The point is, I can guarantee there are rats somewhere near.

My questions are:

1) How do I even find these drat pests? I suppose I could poke around outside, to see if there are any obvious holes in any of the nooks and crannies; but rats are clever enough that the holes might not be easy to find. This also brings me to the second question,

2) Rats don't give a poo poo about who owns which flat. Obviously, humans kind of do. Even if I find a rat's nest, what the gently caress do I do about it, if it's not on "my" property? Assuming my landlord somehow cares about the situation, well that's nice, how about the landlords of each of the neighbours? I don't even know who they are. What about the construction site? Or the railway ditch?

3) Finally, assuming that I somehow persuade my landlord to retain an exterminator and even obtain temporary jurisdiction for said exterminator to operate on other properties on the street... what exactly are they going to do? If there's a rat's nest inside some exterior wall somewhere, then what? I suppose if the nest is in a reachable enough place, one can fill the hole with something, but if it's anything softer than marble (such as concrete), rats can just chew through it again if they feel like it. Poison would be great, but how does one get the rats to actually eat it? Also some nests might be unreachable - what if there's a nest inside some wall, far in? I suppose fumigation would be one option, in theory... so, what, just ask everyone nearby to go to a hotel for a couple days, while the exterminator sprays nerve gas around or some poo poo? In theory if one was to remove all sources of rat food in the area, and put some poison around, then maybe... but see previous point re: bins in the alcove. In fact, never mind the alcove, did I mention that actual proper bins are not compulsory or anything? I mean, this is England, so obviously you're supposed to just chuck all your loving food waste on the street in a flimsy plastic bag and asdhsf Jesus loving Christ my head is gonna loving explode arrrrgh

TLDR: loving rats, I hate them. What do?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wizard Master posted:

What are your blokes thoughts on the potential "6pm curfew" for men in UK cities in order to supposedly make them safer?

As a rhetorical device to demonstrate how absurd it is that our current best solution is to tell women not to go out alone at night, or as an actual thing that will happen?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Wizard Master posted:

As had already been pointed out it's not a serious proposal, it was made to point out the offensive absurdity of telling women they shouldn't go out in the dark if they don't want to be murdered.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Assuming you don't have children/pets to worry about - rat poison?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Wizard Master posted:

Bold of you to assume this thread isn’t comprised of militant lesbians.

(Which, in all seriousness, it is)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

jaete posted:

It's definitely rats, every major city in Britain is interested with rats.

If you spot some report it to the council environmental health and maybe they might send someone to dig out the nest.

You could also see if you can find a bloke with a pack of hungry terriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Wizard Master posted:

gently caress off wizard master