Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Weirdly, it feels like American football is the bigger of the two here. NFL has a small but passionate fanbase that I think has encouraged them to play some games at Wembley in the past? Baseball has to compete with cricket, and cricket fans in my experience are decidedly not into baseball. American football might have rugby to compete with but maybe there's a bit more of a crossover between fans??

I definitely find baseball easier to understand myself, but still, just about the only famous baseball players I can name are the ones that show up in Homer at the Bat.

I call it a kind of cultural lag, given I think baseball used to be America's Pastime but in recent decades American football began to seriously outpace it, and you see it with a lot of nostalgia over baseball but younger people considering it excruciatingly boring, while football has much more serious investment. Basketball too blew the gently caress up in the 90s.

You Are A Elf posted:

Homer did this once and it was great (and the lyrics are actually correct):

There was a little Spanish flea.
A record star he thought he'd be.
He heard of singers like Beatles.
The Chipmunks he'd seen on TV.
Why not a little Spanish flea?
And so he hid inside a dog...

All the while oblivious to the Swat Team entering the Spinal Tap concert. He was just so drat happy sitting in the car eating snacks and singing :kiddo:

Some of the best golden age Homer moments are him basically just vibing and enjoying himself doing something cute and silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

You Are A Elf posted:

Also, I love Otto’s delivery of “Wow, I had mustard?!” In the same episode.

I like “ Good night, Springden. There will be no encores!”

Did anyone else first see that ep and have zero awareness about This Is Spinal Tap? I didn’t see the movie for years after and thought they were a heavy metal parody created for the show.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

PostNouveau posted:

I should include clips so you stop getting ideas that The Simpsons might be OK now

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1368785075907792898

jesus christ

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Ho ho, that Homer! Always getting himself into trouble!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

But what if we add ninjas?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vagabundo posted:

But what if we add ninjas?

But what if we add Ninja?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/BenHugh26422354/status/1368825053320712192

https://twitter.com/BenHugh26422354/status/1364573536954777607

https://twitter.com/BenHugh26422354/status/1361002525877493774

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Ho ho, that Homer! Always getting himself into trouble!

that's our homer!

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

Homer did this once and it was great (and the lyrics are actually correct):

There was a little Spanish flea.
A record star he thought he'd be.
He heard of singers like Beatles.
The Chipmunks he'd seen on TV.
Why not a little Spanish flea?
And so he hid inside a dog...

All the while oblivious to the Swat Team entering the Spinal Tap concert. He was just so drat happy sitting in the car eating snacks and singing :kiddo:

Holy poo poo this has blown my mind, I would have bet anything that Homer was making up the lyrics.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Code Jockey posted:

But what if we add Ninja?

good god I'd rather see ninjas

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Annabel Pee posted:

Holy poo poo this has blown my mind, I would have bet anything that Homer was making up the lyrics.

:same:

I never knew Spanish Flea had lyrics until a few years ago. I always just assumed it was a Herb Alpert original instrumental and not a cover since I was only familiar with the Herb Alpert version (which is what Homer was listening to).

Another similar “mind blown” moment for me happened just this week when I found out that the whistling theme song to The Andy Griffith Show has lyrics (sung by Andy Griffith!).

https://youtu.be/j_IfSxMQ7yg

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Can't wait until that new cop has his own episode where he moves in with the Simpsons.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think it's cool how they recast the black characters and then just give them one line every few episodes.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
The Spinal Tap episode has one of the best imagination sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kAYYGZ8nC8

Milhouse's delivery is just pure gold. It cracks me every time.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The thing is it's not a bad idea, Homer being drunk doing a Singing in the Rain parody, then getting put into a cop car. It's just the execution is so bad and lazy. Why is Kirk dancing on the pier with a basket of money? Why is Homer walking home along a pier? Him falling into the pier isn't funny? In classic Simpsons with the right effort that could have been up there with the Flintstones "about to hit a chestnut tree".

The voice acting is so phoned in. A lot of classic jokes in Simpsons, it's not even what's written, it's how the amazing cast say the lines that get the huge laughs. "I wasn't dangerous, just a disgrace" is actually a good line, but the delivery, and everything around it...

It's piss. What I'm saying is it's piss

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
"Asleep at the switch"! I wasn't asleep! I was drunk!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Alan_Shore posted:

Why is Kirk dancing on the pier with a basket of money?

well, he is a loser, you see, and has been reduced to dancing for money at the pier. it's not as though they'd make up a funny one-shot character to dance for money at the pier.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

well, he is a loser, you see, and has been reduced to dancing for money at the pier. it's not as though they'd make up a funny one-shot character to dance for money at the pier.

But his basket is full of money! He must be really good at dancing! People are throwing money at him! No no, this doesn't add up at all!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Cugel the Clever posted:

:kstarehair:
As someone who stopped watching around the time the Simpsons movie came out because the jokes were dumb, the plots were unimaginative, and the characters had become flat caricatures of their former selves, I guess I've had the belief that the subsequent seasons were just more or less the same level as bad. This clip, though, jesus loving christ what the gently caress is this poo poo? I feel like Rainier Wolfcastle getting washed away in a tide of toxic nuclear waste.

I don't know how to explain it as anything but the execs having told the writers to target the braindead. There has to be a tell-all retrospective at some point to shed some light on the rot.

Here's my guess:

1. They don't have to try anymore. The Simpsons are an institution. I remember Ken Levine talking about the later seasons of Cheers, and how the audience response had changed - people were just happy to see Norm, and so you didn't have to work as hard to get a positive response. There's a group of people who will watch this because it's the Simpsons.

2. You're not going to get good writers anymore. Who wants to write for a 32-year-old show at this point whose best days are 20 years behind it (which would still put you in crap territory)? Up and coming comedy writers are going to be working on their own shows, or they're going to go to shows that people actually find funny. So the talent pool you're getting is smaller.

3. They don't care anymore. Notice how this episode acknowledges that it's the same basic plot as a season 3 episode. Any other show would say "Why are we doing this?" But these lazy writers and show-runners were like "Yeah, let's acknowledge it and then just redo the episode anyway!"

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's a group of people who will watch this because it's the Simpsons.

Who? Masochists?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cemetry Gator posted:

Here's my guess:

1. They don't have to try anymore. The Simpsons are an institution. I remember Ken Levine talking about the later seasons of Cheers, and how the audience response had changed - people were just happy to see Norm, and so you didn't have to work as hard to get a positive response. There's a group of people who will watch this because it's the Simpsons.

2. You're not going to get good writers anymore. Who wants to write for a 32-year-old show at this point whose best days are 20 years behind it (which would still put you in crap territory)? Up and coming comedy writers are going to be working on their own shows, or they're going to go to shows that people actually find funny. So the talent pool you're getting is smaller.

3. They don't care anymore. Notice how this episode acknowledges that it's the same basic plot as a season 3 episode. Any other show would say "Why are we doing this?" But these lazy writers and show-runners were like "Yeah, let's acknowledge it and then just redo the episode anyway!"

it's a real perfect storm sort of deal. I can't take my eyes off of how god drat ugly and sterile the art is

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can't take my eyes off of how god drat ugly and sterile the art is

About sums it up, yeah.

It's also the shadows with no point or origin of light source. There's just shadows everywhere for some reason in the new art and it fuckin' sucks.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 13, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I should include clips so you stop getting ideas that The Simpsons might be OK now

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1368785075907792898

Cletus sounds weird, like his voice is too deep or something.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

Cletus sounds weird, like his voice is too deep or something.

He's being voiced by JD Vance now

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think this is the main thing that keeps modern Simpsons' viewers watching it. Not for engaging plots or funny jokes but for the gentle lull of recognition. The warm familiarity of characters you know - and you do know them, because the Simpsons are probably more recognised than Mickey Mouse at this point even if you've never seen the show - doing the activities you know them for. If they need a bit character for a story they'll use one of the familiar extended cast, or they'll bring in a celebrity guest, so you get more of that familiarity. And they'll probably be parodying something you've heard about or seen ads for while they're at it.

My theory is that it's still popular specifically because it isn't interesting and you can watch it and always know what you're seeing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I guarantee there will be outcry once they opt not to renew it

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tenebrais posted:

I think this is the main thing that keeps modern Simpsons' viewers watching it. Not for engaging plots or funny jokes but for the gentle lull of recognition. The warm familiarity of characters you know - and you do know them, because the Simpsons are probably more recognised than Mickey Mouse at this point even if you've never seen the show - doing the activities you know them for. If they need a bit character for a story they'll use one of the familiar extended cast, or they'll bring in a celebrity guest, so you get more of that familiarity. And they'll probably be parodying something you've heard about or seen ads for while they're at it.

My theory is that it's still popular specifically because it isn't interesting and you can watch it and always know what you're seeing.

What’s the sampsons? :thunk:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tenebrais posted:

By any accounting it's the best possible outcome for any creative endeavor, like any semi-underground cartoonist doodling for his hometown paper dreaming of one day making it big. But it's an outcome I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

By any accounting it's the best possible outcome for any creative endeavor, like any semi-underground cartoonist doodling for his hometown paper dreaming of one day making it big. But it's an outcome I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy

Bill Oakley said in an interview with either Chapo or Talking Simpsons, I don't remember which, that their 10-season plan for Mission Hill was to have the characters age and the main character would gradually get better and better cartooning jobs until he was like Matt Groening-level successful, at which point he would loving hate his career and life.

Which I think was Oakley telling exactly how things went for Groening.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Moral: never do art

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

to be completely fair andy french hated his life before he made it big too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Andy: "kafkaesque joke here"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Getting real depressed to the point where even meat touching is off the table

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I bring you a curse

https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/1370926709470466048

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One day there will be an episode that retcons Homer to being born during the pandemic. Some sort of plot about Abe not believing it's real. Too early to make predictions on if Marge has been replaced by then or not. The timeline could still change and finally correct itself. And I don't want to jinx it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“The Simpsons has never had continuity or canon” says the writer for the show that always had Homer and Marge as high school students in the ‘70s until the show got super lovely and someone thought “That ‘90s Show” would make a great episode. It was such a terrible episode that I remember the next flashback episode brought back Artie Ziff and dealt with high school in the ‘70s again. “That ‘90s Show” I think is also the moment I finally threw up my arms and said “gently caress THIS STUPID poo poo” to the show.

Also, I’m the green hoodie that simply says “HIP HOP” in an image full of early 90s rappers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:barf:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

:ohno:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
just let it die already