Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CuddleCryptid posted:

Debatably it's a game where you play as any number of comic book superheroes. You could dress the main character in a helmet and magnificent cape and recast the entire thing as an X-men game where you play as Magneto.

Man the good version of that would be cool. But, well...*just kind of vaguely gestures at modern superhero games aside from Spidey and Batman*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Started playing Control and it's weird and dumb and makes all kinds of bad decisions (lol at the awkward internal monologue and live action actors) but I also kind of love it precisely for those bad decisions? If nothing else it's got some interesting ideas and is having fun with them. I really witsh it were actually scary though or at least had enemies that were more interesting than random dudes with glowing bits. I mean come on, you have the entire multiverse at your disposal. Give me some eldritch abominations!

The live action stuff is exactly what they intended them to be

Remedy have their own style. Personally I really like it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FMV just isn't the same when it isn't in grainy ultra compressed SD with overly busy borders and frames.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I honestly thought Control had the perfect balance of real footage, just enough to feel perfectly idiosyncratic but not going into a full-fledged side production like Quantum Break.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I honestly didn't realize it even had any. With facial mocap technology these days being what it and facial expressions always being the biggest tip-off that something is animated instead of recorded, the line has becoming more and more blurred for me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'll always take more Sam Lake in a game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4-p7ss16A

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wow, someone else has heard of this game :eyepop:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How could I forget the adventures of Wakle Skade

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

FMV just isn't the same when it isn't in grainy ultra compressed SD with overly busy borders and frames.

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zny-Tvt4T-s

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How could I forget the CG backgrounds. An essential part of all quality FMV experience.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Playstation had a sale on the Amnesia collection and SOMA last week for like $3 a piece. Started playing SOMA and will admit it is fairly creepy.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Cardiovorax posted:

Metal Slug and Syphon Filter would probably count. Not that more than a few people even remember them.

LOOK AHROUUND YOU LOGAN!

I always think of Duke Nukem whatever in time and its sequel and tomb raiders as the quintessential ps1 tpses. Control just feels like modded max Payne 2 which would have been fine if we could throw back bullets in slomo dives but as we can not it is kinda meh.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1371337746048897024?s=21
I’m so glad this is available again.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Really starting to get into Visage and liking it so far.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Hell yeah, get bent "concerned gamers"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Man I still can't believe a game could get universally delisted for criticizing Xi.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

Man I still can't believe a game could get universally delisted for criticizing Xi.

It's almost like the Chinese Government has been rapidly expanding its media holdings, via State and Private run corporations, in an attempt to control its image abroad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Not even a criticism really, it would be the American equivalent of an orange with the word "trump" written on it and some data miner found it and ran a smear campaign.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

TheAnomaly posted:

It's almost like the Chinese Government has been rapidly expanding its media holdings, via State and Private run corporations, in an attempt to control its image abroad.

It's extremely concerning but it's no secret everyone's chasing the China money dragon now that they've allowed console sales and have their own steam store. Things aren't going to get better. Which is a real shame because I'd love a game with metaphors for the PRC disappearing their citizens and forced televised confessions.

E: Animal Crossing of all things is banned because people's islands are not under their control and have been used for protest. The most sensitive goddamn government.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 15, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The whole thing just reminds me that Disney made a Chinese version of Iron Man 3 in which Iron Man runs on milk to revitalize the domestic dairy market, Jarvis and an added character agree that China helps Iron Man in his adventures, and also there is product placement for Chinese heavy equipment manufacturing. Not a brand in particular, just the reassurance that farm equipment made in China is good.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I mashed buy as soon as I saw Devotion was available, I've really felt badly for those devs over the last couple of years.

I am now on a list somewhere to be purged when China subsumes the United States.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't even want to play the game and might grab it just because I feel like they deserve it for being universally poo poo on

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Same. I honestly wasn't interested in the game to begin with, but if I had more disposable income right now, I'd buy it just to thumb my nose at Comrade Winnie the Xi.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

please just buy devotion because its one of the best games made in the last couple years, and not for weird cringe 'owning the chinese' reasons

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not "the Chinese," just the kind of despotic rear end in a top hat who thinks it's okay to suppress the work because it said a single mildly unflattering thing about him. Dude could be from anywhere and I'll feel the same about it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Varinn posted:

please just buy devotion because its one of the best games made in the last couple years, and not for weird cringe 'owning the chinese' reasons

I mean it's a pretty legit reason to spite buy for Devotion too, even with it also being a great game. For once it's not because a woman or person of color was on screen, it's not to own the totally real essjooz that totally weren't group willed into some great stretch of existence, it's not even because of "censorship" that amounts to some people not liking something lovely in a game, it's because the devs genuinely got swamped by a convenient surge of authoritarian loving "concerned gamers" that were very concerned about these taiwanese developers saying anything even slightly inflammatory.

Like there's some goobers who will take any reason to "own the chinese" or whatever, but a lot of the time when these criticisms happen it's pretty valid poo poo and not about 'the chinese' at large, it's about the pukes in their government and their desperate bootlickers, because it's not even remotely conspiracy to say that china as a state is extremely fragile about any kind of criticism or mocking whatsoever, then love to overtly or otherwise prod the party true believers toward the offending media.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 16, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

I mean it's a pretty legit reason to spite buy for Devotion too, even with it also being a great game. For once it's not because a woman or person of color was on screen, it's not to own the totally real essjooz that totally weren't group willed into some great stretch of existence, it's not even because of "censorship" that amounts to some people not liking something lovely in a game, it's because the devs genuinely got swamped by a convenient surge of authoritarian loving "concerned gamers" that were very concerned about these taiwanese developers saying anything even slightly inflammatory.
Exactly. I see nothing wrong with buying the game just give a hearty "gently caress you" to the authoritarian system that has not only hurt these developers, but also hurts the Chinese people in general just as much and more every day.

VVV :hmmyes:

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 16, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

And like it's even more damning than usual because again the developers are taiwanese, based in Taipei no less, which involves an extra level of great ugliness on the part of "concerned gamers" swooping down on them in a gang with the goal of forcing their offending media out of view, arising from a country that's ever still chomping at the bit to swallow their country, erase their identity and likely more than a degree of it's people. It was bald-faced jackbootery hidden behind a transparent excuse. Also I know I'm overusing "concerned gamers" but it's just the most laughably thin disguise for what a bunch of bastards were angling at.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 16, 2021

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I can't emphasize this enough, if you like horror, you really owe it to yourself to pay the $16 to buy Devotion while you still can. It is ridiculously good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Devotion also isn’t particularly kind to traditional Chinese medicine, approaches to mental health, or filial piety

it was undone by a jpeg but the game is a viciously dark examination of other traditional values beyond that, which is partly why it’s one of the better horror games released in the last several years

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

And I will absolutely say usually in horror games if I'm too chicken poo poo to play for long periods (i.e. Dead Space) I can feel pretty comfortable in that I can dip my toes in an intro and not be surprised by a scare out of nowhere. No, in Devotion the devs immediately put you on edge and gently caress with you.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 16, 2021

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm paranoid about china letting devotion be available again with malware. if there's no complaints for a while from users, then i'll buy it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Relin posted:

i'm paranoid about china letting devotion be available again with malware. if there's no complaints for a while from users, then i'll buy it

are you loving kidding me

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Relin posted:

jesus lmao, its fine, please just support the developers. this isn't some tom clancy novel

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yes I'm sure this professionally sold product on an official site from a developer in Taiwan is filled with, gently caress, I don't know, bitcoin miners? Like, realistically, what the gently caress is the Chinese government going to do with your personal data that's worse than what your own countries' government could (and likely will) do with it?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the rereleases are all haunted

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's not on EGS it isn't going to give your information away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Blockhouse posted:

Yes I'm sure this professionally sold product on an official site from a developer in Taiwan is filled with, gently caress, I don't know, bitcoin miners? Like, realistically, what the gently caress is the Chinese government going to do with your personal data that's worse than what your own countries' government could (and likely will) do with it?

I mean if it was a Chinese developer there would be somewhat of a cause for concern because China loves to steal the intellectual property of other countries. Its not though, Taiwan is a different country. The only reason China was able to kill the game was because of the publisher.