Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

What's the read on baby masks. I'm thinking like getting lil dude one when he hits 9 months. In laws told me "oh no they can't wear masks till they're 4" and I'm not raising some bubble baby that does not experience society so it's gotta be earlier than that. AAP says 2 years, but they take money from Nestle so they can suck my dick from the back. Thoughts? Thots?

Our 3 year old's ears are not stiff enough to hold onto elastic well. I'd recommend tie on or one that otherwise fastens in the back somehow. But yeah, I'd check with our pediatrician at 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I can't imagine getting a mask on someone younger than 3 or 4. Out nearly two year old won't wear them at all. 9 months seems right out and downright dangerous for a mask.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our 2.5-year-old often wants to wear his mask, and his stays on pretty well. The same mask doesn't stay on our 5-year-old well, which is fine by her since she doesn't like them anyway :(

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

L0cke17 posted:

Ask your doctor. Ultimately it's your decision, but a doctor who knows you and your kid may be better informed than internet weirdos.

When we asked my son's pediatrician about baby masks she said not until you could actually communicate with the child and they understood what it was and to not mess with it. Also they need to be able to get it back off if they threw up or something suddenly so they don't choke on their spitup.

So realistically that puts us at ??? years off with a 9mo at the moment, at which point it won't matter (hopefully).

With an actual infant it's much more likely that you'll have an infant vaccine available for them before it's safe to shove a mask on them at this point.

Her suggestion for taking the baby places as an infant pre-mask was getting a cloth covering for the stroller/baby carrier with a window in it in the meantime for like stores or visiting places where you would be wearing a mask yourself.

Yeah the bolded part seems like a good barometer untill the next pediatrician talk. Thank you and rest of thread.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Even with the ability to communicate with them, and their ability to understand why they need to wear it and not to take it off, there also must be a complete lack of willfulness and a total willingness to comply at all times no matter the circumstances

I’d like to remind everyone we are talking about toddlers

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I also recall reading that masks pose a suffocation risk until age 2. For the first year babies’ lungs and muscles are laughably underdeveloped, hence the risk of SIDS from something as innocuous as a crib bumper. And any mask that is going to offer protection to the wearer (as opposed to the other person) is going to have to be a tight fit. I wouldn’t risk it for an infant.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

life is killing me posted:

I’d like to remind everyone we are talking about toddlers

gently caress

Toddlers are assholes

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I can't imagine getting a mask on someone younger than 3 or 4. Out nearly two year old won't wear them at all. 9 months seems right out and downright dangerous for a mask.

My 2.5 yo wore his pretty well, but he had his older sister to emulate. Or he was convinced by "we're going somewhere fun for the first time in three months but only if you wear your mask."

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The first three months people were giving parents poo poo about toddlers not wearing masks. Nowadays I think pretty much everyone will give you a pass for kids under 4, or until they come above your belt line, whichever is first

Very recently we switched over from 3M respirators with behind-the-head elastic straps, to regular ear straps surgical masks, and I have to say, wow, now I understand why people might hate masks so much. Go get behind the head straps they're 1000% more comfortable, and actually help seal against the face.

I don't for one minute believe masks are a suffocation hazard for babies of any age though. Maybe if it's a premie in the NICU or something with severely underdeveloped lungs.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

the first week my oldest (4 at the time) wore her mask she licked it so much it was covered in spit, and it was not easy for her to breathe in after.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Shifty Pony posted:

Also have him egg this morning on advice of the doctor, about half a teaspoon. Unlike the previous times he had absolutely no reaction to it that we can tell. :iiam:

:toot:

Yeah our doctor's advice re: eggs was that they shouldn't be that big of a deal, especially cooked and just used as a binder in baked goods. So my partner made a batch of banana bread with eggs (previous batch was egg free). And sure enough, our 4MO has had a terrible two days of fussiness, reflux and digestive upset, just like the last time my partner ate banana bread made with egg and then breastfed him.

Seems like he's really sensitive to it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My toddler refuses to wear his mask. He's a very opinionated kid who wants what he wants and will destroy the earth until he has his way.

We're getting stressed out since mask mandates here are for 2 and over and it's getting harder and harder to lie about his age. Not that we take him anywhere to begin with

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Re:masks I use the rain cover on the buggy and keep it separate/disinfect.

Note I live in London where there is only so much room on the path.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 2.5 year old won't wear his mask either. It's an instant tear off the face.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I don't for one minute believe masks are a suffocation hazard for babies of any age though. Maybe if it's a premie in the NICU or something with severely underdeveloped lungs.

There’s a reason why it’s recommended to not have blankets in a baby’s crib until they’re 1 year old, and even at 1, only the thinnest and most breathable blankets should be used. I believe any kind of covering over a baby’s face is a potential suffocation hazard. Our paediatrician said that when babies get less oxygen it can just shut their breathing down entirely because that’s what they do in the womb to conserve energy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My almost 3 year old will wear a mask depending on her current whims (especially if she is on good terms with an older sibling who is wearing one) but nothing on earth could keep it on her face if she decides naw.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Overheard 4yo: "I thought I was supposed to be the prettiest unicorn, but maybe I'm just tricking myself."

Playtime is getting deep. :stare:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My 9 month old has a little cloth mask his grandparents got him. It's cute but he rips it off the second his brain registers that it's there.

He thinks it's fuckin hilarious to rip my mask off if he's within reach.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I can't get my kid to eat anything but he's been happily licking this plastic toy ice cream cone for the past 5 minutes.

Ironically, he refuses to eat real ice cream.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Toddlers trollin

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

My kiddo just helped herself to a whole cheese danish from the groceries. She was helping unload them and dropped the danish container. She picked up a danish and was like, “WHAT IS THIS I JUST WON THE LOTTERY.”

So that’s what she had for dinner.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My kid refuses pancakes, peanut butter and jelly, sugary cereal, and all sorts of delicious things I know she will be begging for later. I can’t wait to show her the videos when she’s a little older

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Re: masks. From age 1.5 to now (almost 2), it was easy-ish to keep a mask on her because it was winter, and I could secure the mask with the chin straps on her hat. She also wore mittens so it was difficult for her to take it off. Now that she’s not wearing hats/mittens as often, it’s hit or miss if she will keep it on.

Something she started doing a few weeks ago is taking a mouthful of milk/water, and spitting it on to her food or the table at meal time. Solved this by just not giving her liquids with her meal at the table. She has always had a source of water freely with a sippy cup since she could have water, but now she will randomly spit it on the floor, couch, chair, etc, and then want to help clean it up.

She loves to help clean up, but isn’t grasping the concept that making a mess is something we don’t want her doing. I’m not sure how to approach this since I don’t want her to lose interest in helping out, but the intentional mess making is getting pretty tiring. If she drops some peanut butter or hummus or whatever on the table, she will say “Messy! Clean it up!” Then smear and smash it into the table before I have a chance to grab a towel. Or she will dump out her entire collection of blocks, start to clean them up, then lose interest so mom has to clean up the rest.

I don’t mind the messes like the hummus or the blocks, but the spitting of liquids is really gross and can happen wherever she pleases. I also don’t want to limit her water intake, but it’s not predictable when she will decide to spit. Any ideas, or is this just a phase we need to wait out?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Koivunen posted:

I don’t mind the messes like the hummus or the blocks, but the spitting of liquids is really gross and can happen wherever she pleases. I also don’t want to limit her water intake, but it’s not predictable when she will decide to spit. Any ideas, or is this just a phase we need to wait out?

We had this problem too, where she decided the most fun thing in the world was to take a big mouthful of water or milk and waterfall it down her chest onto the floor. She also liked just dumping liquids on the ground.

We did address it by limiting her intake, more or less. We established that she would only get cups to drink from when she was over an easily-cleaned surface or being held. Eventually she stopped doing it, but I honestly don't know whether it was due to our intervention or just a passing phase. Either way it was easier to clean though.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

we were told to practice putting a mask on our 3 year old every day and that even if you can get the mask straps on for a second, you have to give a lot of praise to the kid to kind of build up the kid being used to having that on his face.

Our youngest is having developmental issues and is going to need therapy because he's not as far along as others in his age group and it's just ....deflating.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Koivunen posted:

Re: masks. From age 1.5 to now (almost 2), it was easy-ish to keep a mask on her because it was winter, and I could secure the mask with the chin straps on her hat. She also wore mittens so it was difficult for her to take it off. Now that she’s not wearing hats/mittens as often, it’s hit or miss if she will keep it on.

Something she started doing a few weeks ago is taking a mouthful of milk/water, and spitting it on to her food or the table at meal time. Solved this by just not giving her liquids with her meal at the table. She has always had a source of water freely with a sippy cup since she could have water, but now she will randomly spit it on the floor, couch, chair, etc, and then want to help clean it up.

She loves to help clean up, but isn’t grasping the concept that making a mess is something we don’t want her doing. I’m not sure how to approach this since I don’t want her to lose interest in helping out, but the intentional mess making is getting pretty tiring. If she drops some peanut butter or hummus or whatever on the table, she will say “Messy! Clean it up!” Then smear and smash it into the table before I have a chance to grab a towel. Or she will dump out her entire collection of blocks, start to clean them up, then lose interest so mom has to clean up the rest.

The spitting thing is a phase. My son, 2.5 now, started doing it around 2 and did it on and off for a few months. We’d just take the drink away when he would do it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Any suggestions for getting our kid to drink more fluids? We always have water or milk available for him and he's big enough to grab a cup and get some water if we've forgotten but something something lead a horse to water etc

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Insulated water bottle with cool pictures/colors on it? I’ve found having *cold* water already available to be a lot more successful. The plastic insulated camelbak eddy is really nice (just be sure to clean the straw apparatus sometumes :barf:)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BadSamaritan posted:

Insulated water bottle with cool pictures/colors on it? I’ve found having *cold* water already available to be a lot more successful. The plastic insulated camelbak eddy is really nice (just be sure to clean the straw apparatus sometumes :barf:)

Yeah the Eddy's are great. My wife always tries to skirt paying for the good cups by getting dollar tree stuff. And 99% of the time it's fine, but I've found that when it comes to the reusable cups, springing a little is necessary. The cheap ones break, have uncleanable moldy parts, etc. The Eddy is solid and easy as poo poo to completely take apart and clean.

Camelbak's site has some for just $6 too!

https://www.camelbak.com/CB-2452301...cMaAmBmEALw_wcB

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
MOVING TALK

I have an open-ended advice request. We're moving!

It's a move to a new state 13 hours away. I got a new job and yay. But... we have a house and 2 kids and no family or real support here (luckily I do where we're moving to though - which is why we're moving there).

First. We haven't told our 6 year old yet. I've been prepping her over the year and dropping hints about living near grandma, but she's been kind of against it. I think mostly her fear is that we'll leave all of her physical stuff here (no matter how much I tell her we won't). I think that's just because it's the one way she can quantify "attachment" right now though. Friends won't be too big of a deal since she doesn't have any regular friends at the moment b/c of the pandemic. There are kids at school she plays with and a couple in the neighborhood, but no real besties.

Second. Just moving in general. We're having a large amount of anxiety because it's just going to be a logistical hassle to get packed up, make needed house repairs, get read to sell, go to other state, find apartment and then find a house. We don't really have a way to drop the kids off anywhere to enable us to focus on any of that stuff.

Any just general "I wish I would have knowns" when y'all made big moves?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Start packing early, because the moving date can sneak up on you real easy. Out of season clothing and the like, holiday decorations. Start with things you won't need before the move.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Start packing early, because the moving date can sneak up on you real easy. Out of season clothing and the like, holiday decorations. Start with things you won't need before the move.

Good advice. I've been gathering boxes for weeks now and we've started to Spark Joy a ton of poo poo out of our house. Luckily we aren't *too* entrenched. For instance both attics are empty.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My dog has been Sam Smith sad since newborn came in. Perfect nanny dog, very sweet and gentle with our baby. But... Like she's really feeling the hurt and pain of her true love (IE me, her human) lovin' someone else (IE that new puppy human).

I sing to her.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We moved from a house to an apartment several years ago, then to a new house 2 years ago.
If you aren't attached to your large furniture and have the means to, just ditch it and get new stuff. Our old furniture was one step up from college stuff and we were ready to upgrade. We gave a lot of it to the family buying our house and yard saled a bunch of stuff.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

What are your opinions on vaccinated adults around unvaccinated children? We are lucky enough that around the middle of April, all grandparents and us parents will be vaccinated, but our (by that time) 3.5 month obviously will not be. Our pediatrician’s nurse line suggested that we call our local hospitals Covid line, but after an hour we just got disconnected. I figure we can ask at the 3mo appointment, but the grandparents are licking their lips for unfettered access.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

meanolmrcloud posted:

What are your opinions on vaccinated adults around unvaccinated children? We are lucky enough that around the middle of April, all grandparents and us parents will be vaccinated, but our (by that time) 3.5 month obviously will not be. Our pediatrician’s nurse line suggested that we call our local hospitals Covid line, but after an hour we just got disconnected. I figure we can ask at the 3mo appointment, but the grandparents are licking their lips for unfettered access.

According to the data out of Israel, the mRNA vaccines are about 90% sterilizing immunity. No data I'm aware of with the other vaccines, but that's a pretty decent value.

My wife and I are planning on letting the grandparents visit our 4 month old, as they are still being homebodies despite getting the jabs. If they went out to eat at restaurants, then I think we'd be at the "no" stage, as 90% isn't 100%. I'd take 90% as long as they keep up the rest of the precautions, but not if they won't.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Ultimately up to your own risk assessment, but CDC guidance is that it’s fine as long as you are not mingling outside that bubble too much: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

meanolmrcloud posted:

If you are feeling like you want to take all precautions, have the grandparents self quarantine for two weeks before seeing the baby, and keep it up if they want unlimited access.

Personally, grandparents will all be vaccinated by my daughters second birthday, so we are probably going to have a little party for her with just us and grandparents. We parents won’t be vaccinated yet, but the grandparents are in the higher risk category, so we are more worried about them catching it, rather than us or our kid. We are still not okay with coming into contact with people who aren’t being careful, but the grandparents are masking all the time while on errands, and only leave the house to do errands still. If they wanted to go on a trip somewhere, or go to a big public event, we would want them to quarantine for two weeks before hanging out with their grandkids.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

BonoMan posted:

MOVING TALK

I have an open-ended advice request. We're moving!

It's a move to a new state 13 hours away. I got a new job and yay. But... we have a house and 2 kids and no family or real support here (luckily I do where we're moving to though - which is why we're moving there).

First. We haven't told our 6 year old yet. I've been prepping her over the year and dropping hints about living near grandma, but she's been kind of against it. I think mostly her fear is that we'll leave all of her physical stuff here (no matter how much I tell her we won't). I think that's just because it's the one way she can quantify "attachment" right now though. Friends won't be too big of a deal since she doesn't have any regular friends at the moment b/c of the pandemic. There are kids at school she plays with and a couple in the neighborhood, but no real besties.

Second. Just moving in general. We're having a large amount of anxiety because it's just going to be a logistical hassle to get packed up, make needed house repairs, get read to sell, go to other state, find apartment and then find a house. We don't really have a way to drop the kids off anywhere to enable us to focus on any of that stuff.

Any just general "I wish I would have knowns" when y'all made big moves?

Can you budget some money for either a nanny or daycare for at least a few chunks of time in your current town so you can sort that stuff out? On the other side it sounds like you can get friends/family to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

meanolmrcloud posted:

We’re letting vaccinated adults see our 3.5 month old baby if it’s been 2 weeks since their last shot.

Our pediatrician gave us the #s on covid in infants, and while you obviously don’t want them to get it and we don’t understand long term complications well - they are almost always fine.

Morbid statistics ahead, skip if you don’t really want to play this particular lottery.

I think the #s were like 200 covid related infant deaths in 2020, and 650 influenza related infant deaths in 2020. The normal mortality for flu is around 1200 so they’re one of the few populations where excess mortality likely decreased.

Once again I’m not a doctor, the other posts saying 90% immunity and very low chance of spread sound about right.