Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

IAMKOREA posted:

engineers are more likely to be chuds than liberals imho

gently caress engineers

edit: oh you meant software developers. they aren't engineers and they are probably dumb liberals.

if you want to know the hosed up thoughts of fancy SF computer touchers, go read the SF reddit lol

Rah! has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Mar 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Rah! posted:

if you want to know the hosed up thoughts of fancy SF computer touchers, go read the SF reddit lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

for the past few months they've been posting every news article about a black person robbing someone, or about people who had been released from prison attacking someone (bonus confederate points if theyre black), and how black people are part of an anti asian conspiracy therefore all black people are the real racists or whatever, and screaming about how the evil leftist DA who hates are brave boys in blue needs to be recalled for inventing crime and personally making all of these people get robbed and murdered and giving every person he refuses to charge orders to attack asian people

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Rah! posted:

lol

for the past few months they've been posting every news article about a black person robbing someone, or about people who had been released from prison attacking someone (bonus confederate points if theyre black), and how black people are part of an anti asian conspiracy therefore all black people are the real racists or whatever, and screaming about how the evil leftist DA who hates are brave boys in blue needs to be recalled for inventing crime and personally making all of these people get robbed and murdered and giving every person he refuses to charge orders to attack asian people

loving :yikes:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rah! posted:

lol

Oh that reminds me, my favorite hosed Up America Thing is that since we often gleefully broadcast information on arrests to, idk, shame people who got arrested I guess, a lot of the time if/when the arrested person gets home they find their place has been completely ransacked and anything valuable taken because the Channel 6 Nightly News just told everyone in the area "hey guess what, this dude who you can prolly look up the address of (or who we might flat-out tell you the address of) is gonna be away from home for a while, and when they get back they might really, really not want to talk to cops anyway"

I mean that's assuming the cops don't ransack it first and do the same thing, which they probably will, but yeah.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That just reminded me of something else too, a friend's roommate got raided for dealing weed a while ago and the friend came back to the apartment to find the whole place predictably torn up by the cops, ok whatever, but I guess after they were done finding the stash they decided to have some fun. They took all the poo poo out of the fridge and freezer and just like, put it all over the house so it would go bad. They found a dildo and some lingerie and arranged it creepily on the kitchen counter. And my absolute favorite part, they brought a bible with them and left it open on the coffee table to a page with a highlighted passage about always obeying authority.

But hey at least they got rid of that horrible devil's lettuce

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh and they stole a bunch of poo poo too but you didn't need me to tell you that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I work in logistics and unfortunately have to reach out to people like CH Robinson a lot. Normally it's fine they do their job, route the freight, and give me a carrier.

Sometimes though I have to sign into their website and fill out all the information for them and I really wonder if that's because the customer has the more expensive or the cheaper plan

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
i'd say 'document and sue' but that would probably end up with them both disappearing for a week or so

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Overheard some dude at the dog park complaining about the homeless - as an existing nuisance not as a symptom of a capitalist-inhumane rot - from when he visited San Francisco. Told to two smiling and nodding idiots. All of them were white. I literally stopped going to that park (there's one an equal distance away with normal loving people). What the gently caress is wrong with people??

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Overheard some dude at the dog park complaining about the homeless - as an existing nuisance not as a symptom of a capitalist-inhumane rot - from when he visited San Francisco. Told to two smiling and nodding idiots. All of them were white. I literally stopped going to that park (there's one an equal distance away with normal loving people). What the gently caress is wrong with people??

Just world fallacy is a helluva drug.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I was in San Francisco like 20 years ago and all I remember are a bunch of gutter punks with big dogs.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BgRdMchne posted:

I was in San Francisco like 20 years ago and all I remember are a bunch of gutter punks with big dogs.

Almost the same amount of time ago for me too. The thing I remember the most was the kind old lady who ran the little hotel we stayed at going over a travel map with us when we got there and highlighting different areas while nonchalantly saying things like "well this area is usually where all the junkies are, but if you go in the morning they're asleep or at least pretty groggy... oh and over here you can catch a ride on the trolley cars, everyone loves doing that... this part of town is where the gang bangers are so you might wanna steer clear... you can get a lovely view of the golden gate bridge from right here..." in her kind old lady voice, which was very surreal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think it struck me in particular because she talked about it in a way that made it clear that it was just a thing she'd been around for many years, probably even her whole life. It clearly didn't sound like fear or concern, it didn't even really seem like she was warning us of danger or anything, it felt like it was coming from the same sort of place you'd file away knowledge like "it might rain today" or "that highway is under construction".

I don't know maybe everyone who lives in the middle of a big city is just like that or something but it was real fascinating to young me at the time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
where was the hotel?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
being afraid of the bad things that happen in a city is understandable but a certain part of me (that definitely grew up in the suburbs) thinks you should just get over it and try to fuckin help.

give somebody a fuckin ride sometime. hand out some cash to someone who is literally sitting on the sidewalk for lack of a chair. gently caress.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

where was the hotel?

If I remember right it was the Castle Inn, so wherever that is.

I just looked em' up and they have a delightfully nonfunctional website featuring an @aol email account: https://www.castleinnsf.com/

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you go like 10 blocks south peeps will smoke crack on the street. yes, even in our gentrified times

sf is unique in that skid row is right next to the touristy spots. the bad impression this causes was one of the reasons why it was a haven for freaks and geeks for so long, too bad the geeks metastasized into hoodiewearers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if you go like 10 blocks south peeps will smoke crack on the street. yes, even in our gentrified times

I think I vaguely remember that from the map session actually :v:

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Vancouver has a similar vibe with downtown east hastings.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
People are weird about that poo poo. When I moved to Chicago for a summer everyone told me to be careful and watch out for gangs when the most threatened I ever felt is when a bunch of cops where parked everywhere leaning on their cars with their hands on their holsters. SF is a pretty town and yeah there are homeless people there but it's not like some hell hole.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

where was the hotel?

It was inside you all along.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

here's an example of one of those public housing rebuilds that are happening in San Francisco:

The long apartment buildings seen in this pic are the Potrero Hill projects, built in the 1940s. Former home of OJ Simpson:

All 600 units are going to be rebuilt, along with 800 new market rate units (expensive as gently caress, was originally going to be 600 of them), and 155 "affordable units" (originally was going to be up to 450), which will also be expensive, because their affordability is based on median neighborhood income (could be anywhere from under 30% to 120% of it), and outside of the projects, Potrero Hill is actually kinda fancy and upper class, after decades of gentrification. So there's a good chance the income range to qualify for the new affordable units will be more like middle/upper middle class people instead of actual poor people.

The new buildings:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

People are weird about that poo poo. When I moved to Chicago for a summer everyone told me to be careful and watch out for gangs when the most threatened I ever felt is when a bunch of cops where parked everywhere leaning on their cars with their hands on their holsters. SF is a pretty town and yeah there are homeless people there but it's not like some hell hole.

peeps of a rural persuasion cannot just notice the cracksmoker, nod or studiously avoid eye contact, and just walk by

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

IAMKOREA posted:

engineers are more likely to be chuds than liberals imho

gently caress engineers

edit: oh you meant software developers. they aren't engineers and they are probably dumb liberals.

I lump chuds and liberals together just like real and fake engineers lmao

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Peanut President posted:

The gangs mostly keep to themselves, and a lot of the violence in Chicago is a back-and-forth between the various cliques. The big concern for most people is having their stuff ganked on the train or having their car wheels stolen overnight.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Peanut President posted:

People are weird about that poo poo. When I moved to Chicago for a summer everyone told me to be careful and watch out for gangs when the most threatened I ever felt is when a bunch of cops where parked everywhere leaning on their cars with their hands on their holsters.

You met the biggest gang in town then.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The gangs mostly keep to themselves, and a lot of the violence in Chicago is a back-and-forth between the various cliques. The big concern for most people is having their stuff ganked on the train or having their car wheels stolen overnight.

Yeah that's pretty much how SF is too. Before covid-19 hit, SF was actually going through a big property crime spike, mostly fueled by car break ins and bike thefts, and it's always had a relatively high robbery rate for a big US city as well. It got to the point that it was actually one of the worst cities in the US for total property crime, and it was the absolute worst at least once. After covid hit, the theft rate plummeted, but then the burglary rate spiked. As for Chicago, it's bigger than SF and has way more gangs, and they shoot each other more often too. When it comes to violence, Chicago and SF actually had kinda similar murder rates back around 2004-2008 (around 11 to 15 per 100k residents for SF and 15-17 per 100k for Chicago), believe it or not, but SF's dropped big time after that, unlike Chicago.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
are they rebuilding the public housing or replacing it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

someone who is literally sitting on the sidewalk for lack of a chair

Don't give them a chair, though, as the cops will just take it and post photos of it on Facebook to show they're fighting homelessness by fighting the homeless.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rah! posted:

All 600 units are going to be rebuilt, along with 800 new market rate units (expensive as gently caress, was originally going to be 600 of them), and 155 "affordable units" (originally was going to be up to 450)

This type of stuff always makes me laugh, because I have to wonder how many people during the approval process knew exactly this was going to happen and tried to oppose it without a guarantee for the affordable units, and how many people counted on it to happen and tried to ram it through.

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Rah! posted:

That and the Bay Area sub are just absolute garbage. But at least "we need to do something about the black people" is a change of pace from "we need to do something about the homeless people."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SpacePig posted:

This type of stuff always makes me laugh, because I have to wonder how many people during the approval process knew exactly this was going to happen and tried to oppose it without a guarantee for the affordable units, and how many people counted on it to happen and tried to ram it through.

If the govt officials are setup anything like the way it works here in Australia they are literally the same people. As in the developers doing these projects get themselves elected as councillors to approve this stuff.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Here is a great way to sum up NFT's

https://twitter.com/BRKeogh/status/1370356988169744388

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It's better summed up as "I have a bridge to sell you".

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
NFTs are the scrap rights to the Eiffel Tower for the 2020s.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
just had the real estate agent that helped my landlord sell my home (and thus force me to find a new one) try to solicit me as a client

lol

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

i literally had this exact conversation with my friend last night because he is dumb and spent way too much money on NFTs

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

thehoodie posted:

i literally had this exact conversation with my friend last night because he is dumb and spent way too much money on NFTs

So, wait, some rando generated some tokens, says they represent public domain art, and is selling them to people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It seems like NFTs could potentially be useful if they were connected to something real. And if proving ownership wasn't already a pretty much solved problem.