Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I didn't realize they had a live audience for the first episode, that's pretty cool.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I didn't realize they had a live audience for the first episode, that's pretty cool.

Haven’t watched the making off yet but apparently the crew was dressed in period outfits. I don’t know why that would help but gently caress it, if I had $25 million an episode I’d dress everyone up like extras from West Side Story.

Edit: just turned it on and the audience is dressed up lmao.

Edmund Lava fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 13, 2021

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

This explained a question I'd had since the trailer, they had shots of a studio audience, or at least empty seats, but then that never showed up in the show and I always wondered what that was about. Personally I really appreciate the depths they went, like painting Vision blue instead of red for the B&W. They could have simply did some color fixing after the fact but I can easily believe those little details helped set the tone and helped make a difference.

Like I defend the ending, but those first three episodes were still the best part of the show. Maybe the 80's one, too. The period poo poo was just so cool. The ending was B+ at best.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

XboxPants posted:

He sure doesn't seem as excited to be part of the MCU like the rest of the cast.

Anyway you guys are nuts, that was great, Olsen & Bettany & Hahn & Rupp & Parris are so charismatic that it's totally heartwarming and funny and captivating just to watch them talk about their jobs. Same thing with a lot of the crew, like the composers and Jac Schaeffer and stuff. Maybe they were full of poo poo, just putting on a good face, but to me, this crew seemed like people that were truly, genuinely excited and grateful to be able to show their love of these old sitcom eras that they grew up with and to bring Wanda's hopes and dreams and sadness and tragedy to life.

I think I'm just comparing it to the Mandalorian making of, that hand round tables with the actors, and directors. And went in depth into The Volume, which made me think that TV and films will be changed forever. This came across as very much a marketing piece for, "Isn't Marvel super cool?" while giving no real depth view into the filmmaking. Like, yeah, I get that you used wires and green screens.

The bit with the composers was legit great, I agree there.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thrawn527 posted:

I think I'm just comparing it to the Mandalorian making of... This came across as very much a marketing piece for, "Isn't Marvel super cool?"...

Yeah but S2's making of The Mandalorian was just a marketing piece where everyone said how good of a job they all did. I think that s1 round table is something that apparently we aren't going to get again. I loved it though; so I wish they would.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

thrawn527 posted:

I think I'm just comparing it to the Mandalorian making of, that hand round tables with the actors, and directors. And went in depth into The Volume, which made me think that TV and films will be changed forever. This came across as very much a marketing piece for, "Isn't Marvel super cool?" while giving no real depth view into the filmmaking. Like, yeah, I get that you used wires and green screens.

The bit with the composers was legit great, I agree there.

Oh hahaha, yeah if you are comparing to like, an actually well made production, I absolutely agree it just came across as an hour long commercial for how great Marvel is.

Like the bit about "FIRST TIME EVER FLYING BATTLE?" I watched Iron Man 1 a few days ago and the literal first super fight ever in the MCU is a flying battle.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Olsen's talking about people in wire harnesses, not cgi fights, to be fair.

e: and to be fair to your point she might be wrong, too. I don't know the movies well enough to fact check.

Also it's funny seeing shots it Bettany with just his head painted blue, it's like higher budget arrested development.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 13, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So thinking about something.

Wanda and Vision were going to live in Westview. She will never have what he wanted for them and everyone there hates, hates, her with a burning passion for the hex when she leaves. She can’t really ever go back.

I don’t think that’s nothing as a consequence.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Dave Syndrome posted:

Am I missing something, or did the "Making of Wandavision" show not air today?
(I'm in Germany, so our Disney+ doesn't always get everything at the same time as America)

Just checked Disney+ again, and it's up now :D

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So thinking about something.

Wanda and Vision were going to live in Westview. She will never have what he wanted for them and everyone there hates, hates, her with a burning passion for the hex when she leaves. She can’t really ever go back.

I don’t think that’s nothing as a consequence.

I mean it was a random poo poo rundown town I don't think it's some shattered dream, Vision was the important part not the town.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

I mean it was a random poo poo rundown town I don't think it's some shattered dream, Vision was the important part not the town.

Right but it’s where he picked. It’s where his dream for them was.

That’s the broken story she incoherently reconstructed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Yeah but S2's making of The Mandalorian was just a marketing piece where everyone said how good of a job they all did. I think that s1 round table is something that apparently we aren't going to get again. I loved it though; so I wish they would.

True, the S2 making of did kind of suck.

socialsecurity posted:

I kind of figured it might not have sucked pre-snap, when Vision bought the property.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I don't think anyone is labelling her heroic. Evil? Harder to say given that she just seems selfish. She's not out there actively hurting the townsfolk, she just doesn't care about them. As long as she gets what she wants, I don't think she cares. If saving everyone got her what she wanted, it feels like she'd do that just as easily.

Kathryn Hahn said in an interview with the New York Times that Agatha actually likes Dottie, the mailman, etc, and how she's been very lonely for a long time and considered Wanda a friend.

Not that she also didn't want more knowledge/power but still an interesting look at the character from Hahn

Prowler
May 24, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I kind of figured it might not have sucked pre-snap, when Vision bought the property.

This is actually a good point.

It brings me back to Hayword. I think he would have been less of a mustache twirling villain if he A) didn't try to shoot some kids and B) we got some background behind his constant "You don't know what we had to do to keep the lights on." There could be an argument to be made that the people still alive after the snap had an immense amount of guilt (i.e., survivor's guilt) and trauma, people had to pick up the slack where others disappeared, crime probably shot through the roof, airplanes falling out the sky, ships getting stranded, etc. It would be easier to understand his motivations and actions, barring the shooty-shooty-kiddy-kiddy, if we didn't see the world seemingly working just fine despite what we would expect to see.

I'm not sure Marvel will have a movie or a TV show set after the snap and before the blip, but it could be interesting, if not incredibly difficult to write in a satisfying way.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Kathryn Hahn said in an interview with the New York Times that Agatha actually likes Dottie, the mailman, etc, and how she's been very lonely for a long time and considered Wanda a friend.

I mean, if you were a 400 year old witch, you might not be the best "people-person" out there.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I'm pretty disappointed in the second half of this show. It started out weird, creepy and funny all at the same time then ended up being about as formulaic as you can get in the last few episodes. I wish they would've had the confidence to keep doing something different the whole way through.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

thrawn527 posted:

Them spending like ten minutes trying to make everyone still like Cara Dune despite her being a chud was super cringey, especially since they just ended up firing her anyway

Meanwhile, this making-of was charming and delightful. Debra-Jo Rupp just thrilled to be there is super heartwarming

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I didn't think I could like Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn more than I already did but after watching them in the making of WandaVision, here we are.

Also Teyonah Parris is loving dope. I'm legit stoked for her to either be in her own spin-off or for her to appear in either Secret Wars or Captain Marvel 2. Honestly, put her in whatever MCU thing you want, guys.

Really though, everyone in the entire cast of WandaVision just knocked it out of the loving park.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 13, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I honestly could not have cared less about Wanda or Vision after the movies so I was late coming to Wandavision but somehow this show turned them completely around for me.

Somehow I also went this long without knowing that Elizabeth Olsen is the Olsen twins’ younger sister.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The special didn't tell us anything new, but I can still enjoy watching a group of actors have fun on set.
Kathryn Hahn and Teyonah Parris' enthusiasm were just really nice to watch.

One thing that surprised me was that Vision's face was mostly CGI, since it looks like practical makeup. I guess it was to make it easier to switch back and forth.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Oasx posted:

The special didn't tell us anything new, but I can still enjoy watching a group of actors have fun on set.

One thing that surprised me was that Vision's face was mostly CGI, since it looks like practical makeup. I guess it was to make it easier to switch back and forth.

The lack of content is, I guess, they not wanting to spoil whatever they have planned for future shows and movies.

And I always thought he had some prosthetics in, but it seems he just has his whole face painted in red with the bald-cap thing. And it was done to shorten the hours in the makeup chair. I think he mentioned in a past interview that is like 2 hours now, not the 6-8 or more from back in the movies. Quite awesome to be honest.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Wanda's gonna be very confused when she gets to the bit in the Darkhold that's just a VR developers reference guide.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Just like the show the actor's sold the making of. I loved the scene where Kathy Hahn was just cackling and cackling after scene was over.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oasx posted:

It did look like CGI in the black and white episodes. Or at least there was something uncanny about it the way there always is when CGI or other modern trappings are used in throwback entertainment.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I don't think anyone is labelling her heroic. Evil? Harder to say given that she just seems selfish. She's not out there actively hurting the townsfolk, she just doesn't care about them. As long as she gets what she wants, I don't think she cares. If saving everyone got her what she wanted, it feels like she'd do that just as easily.

Deliberately prolonging something she knows to be absolutely hellacious is pretty evil. She even says to Wanda that it's cruel when it's about to happen to her.

Not caring about the consequences to people as long as you get what you want is not the mark of a good person. It just means that sometimes people's lives literally depend on her getting what she wants.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/falconandwinter/status/1370426863970091009

I dunno, I’m gonna watch this show but I don’t feel a great rapport here. I guess it’s a buddy cop thing? I’m also worried because looking at the comments, it seems like Disney is astro turfing the hell out of it, tons of people that appear to be just marvel rebloggers posting how they love this character interaction and posting tribute videos that are just inside fair use guidelines.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
People who don't like Sam and Bucky's rapport feel like alien robots trying to understand human emotions to me. :psylon: .w.h.@.t.i.s.t.h.!.s.s.t.r.a.n.g.e.E.M.0.T.I.0.N.y.o.u.c.a.l.l.h.u.m.0.r.?.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm just looking forward to more Captain America adjacent stuff since we may never get another Cap movie

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I could go for a cap n carter movie (or series.)

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm just looking forward to more Captain America adjacent stuff since we may never get another Cap movie

I consider fatws to be the next cap movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Geo Fixer posted:

It's probably the last Cap stuff we'll get for awhile, because I struggle to see how any of the other characters are going to be involved in the other movies going forward

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Geo Fixer posted:

It’ll probably be the actual proper third installment of that trilogy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's probably the last Cap stuff we'll get for awhile, because I struggle to see how any of the other characters are going to be involved in the other movies going forward

Figure they'll come back for whatever ends up being Avengers 4(5?). Post-Thanos we're going through kind of a restart/reintroduction that'll eventually build to a new Avengers team movie. Still, that's likely going to be a couple-three years from now. Iron Man came out in 2008 but the first Avengers movie didn't come out until 2012. It's going to be weird if Loki somehow ends up on the new Avengers team.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

Figure they'll come back for whatever ends up being Avengers 4(5?). Post-Thanos we're going through kind of a restart/reintroduction that'll eventually build to a new Avengers team movie. Still, that's likely going to be a couple-three years from now. Iron Man came out in 2008 but the first Avengers movie didn't come out until 2012. It's going to be weird if Loki somehow ends up on the new Avengers team.

If there's an Asgardian on the team, it'll presumably be Jane FosThor. Or Valkyrie. She'll presumably be busy as Queen though. Then again, female Thor would require Marvel locking down Portman for several movies, and I don't know if she would be up for that. She seemed happy to return as a hero with more to do at the announcement a few years back, but it might just be one film. Then again, Disney money can do a lot.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ccs posted:

https://twitter.com/falconandwinter/status/1370426863970091009

I dunno, I’m gonna watch this show but I don’t feel a great rapport here. I guess it’s a buddy cop thing? I’m also worried because looking at the comments, it seems like Disney is astro turfing the hell out of it, tons of people that appear to be just marvel rebloggers posting how they love this character interaction and posting tribute videos that are just inside fair use guidelines.

That's all major studio productions though. Before it came out, WW84 got really good reviews, then everyone was able to see it and everyone realized that it stinks. And I have a hard time believing that people are as excited for another Mortal Kombat movie as Twitter would lead you to believe.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Everyone posted:

I strongly suspect we'll see a Young Avengers movie before we see a new full fat Avengers team, so that pushes the date back even further.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

People who don't like Sam and Bucky's rapport feel like alien robots trying to understand human emotions to me. :psylon: .w.h.@.t.i.s.t.h.!.s.s.t.r.a.n.g.e.E.M.0.T.I.0.N.y.o.u.c.a.l.l.h.u.m.0.r.?.

It’s just nonstop quips though. I know that’s a tenant of the mcu cause Whedon and all but real people don’t actually talk like this.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Ccs posted:

It’s just nonstop quips though. I know that’s a tenant of the mcu cause Whedon and all but real people don’t actually talk like this.

lol mackie and stan clowning and derailing interviews and poo poo are way funnier than anything we’ll probably get out of their show

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

live with fruit posted:

That's all major studio productions though. Before it came out, WW84 got really good reviews, then everyone was able to see it and everyone realized that it stinks. And I have a hard time believing that people are as excited for another Mortal Kombat movie as Twitter would lead you to believe.

The mortal kombat trailer was fuckin sick and I’m hyped as hell and I’m a real boy

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

a Loving Dog posted:

The mortal kombat trailer was fuckin sick and I’m hyped as hell and I’m a real boy

Yeah same. You can't go by me though, I loved Annihilation too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Anyone that isn't hyped for Mortal Kombat is an alien AI masquerading as a human.