Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

PittTheElder posted:

You gotta go pay a visit to goblin town

Yeah I've been, managed to sneak in and nick some flax, enough to replicate so now I have that full armor set upgraded all the way, but no food to match the gear. Gonna make a few more attempts here and there but considering how quickly a 2-star goblin wrecked me I'm playing super-conservative now. I know what I'm looking for I just haven't come across it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

In my experience the only way to deal with 1 and 2 star goblins is a bow and backstab bonus (sneak attack). Even a maxxed black metal round shield can't parry or block them. I haven't tried a tower shield yet though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Floppychop posted:

In my experience the only way to deal with 1 and 2 star goblins is a bow and backstab bonus (sneak attack). Even a maxxed black metal round shield can't parry or block them. I haven't tried a tower shield yet though.

Yeah I wasn't expecting the parry on the shield to fail entirely. I knew damage would come through, but it was just a crushing blow that seemed to ignore the shield entirely, second blow laid me out. First time I'd died in, poo poo, weeks? Since early swamp. I got cocky for sure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really see the point in black metal because whatever the goblins themselves are made out of is obviously the better building material.

Just let me crush them into bricks and make stuff out of them.

Goblinite might be a euphemism in dwarf fortress but in this game it should be real.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There is a mod for that.

Would something like that work for multiplayer? The stuff I've read suggests mods are client side and for stuff like inventory I get it - but I wasn't sure for something like this.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

I have a senior family member that I'd like to find a new game for. They are great at Stardew Valley and can manage the combat in WoW but they aren't quick with the keys/actions...

How is the difficulty of Valheim? Is there a slider or way to put the game on 'easy mode' for them if needed? I'd like to find a game for them where they can mostly forage and craft and periodically have easy fights, and Valheim seems like it might be that.

Like others have said the combat can be very unforgiving - however if this family member is willing to do a little grinding, the game gives you all the tools to be well-prepared enough that the next progression step becomes pretty trivial. Most people try and blitz through and step into the danger zone without fully upgrading everything, because frankly fully upgrading everything at the current tier takes a lot of time. But with patience and good weapons/armor/food/potion you can handle the next step in the progression without breaking a sweat.

So in the meadow stage, full upgrade troll armor, in the dark forest stage fully upgrade bronze gear, etc. And make the best food and potions that you can at any stage. If you do that then the game is pretty chill.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Would something like that work for multiplayer? The stuff I've read suggests mods are client side and for stuff like inventory I get it - but I wasn't sure for something like this.

It works in multiplayer and the server and other players don't need to run it to let you run it.

Taffer posted:

Like others have said the combat can be very unforgiving - however if this family member is willing to do a little grinding, the game gives you all the tools to be well-prepared enough that the next progression step becomes pretty trivial. Most people try and blitz through and step into the danger zone without fully upgrading everything, because frankly fully upgrading everything at the current tier takes a lot of time. But with patience and good weapons/armor/food/potion you can handle the next step in the progression without breaking a sweat.

So in the meadow stage, full upgrade troll armor, in the dark forest stage fully upgrade bronze gear, etc. And make the best food and potions that you can at any stage. If you do that then the game is pretty chill.

I think the trick with this game is to find what is "skippable" in each tier and still be able to reach the next tier, like a fully upgraded finewood bow will let you skip iron bows until you get to silver and that saves you a whoppin' 80 iron to fully upgrade that bow, I even skipped the crude bow and just had a troll help me chop down birch trees, I skipped leather armor because with a finewood bow troll armor is easy to access and close enough to bronze armor to skip that too and let's you skip whackin' rocks a few hundred times and deforesting a small area just for coal, bronze axe fully upgraded will probably let you skip iron axes until black metal, stuff like that.

You can take it slow and make everything in every tier before moving on and chillax and make what game there is last longer though, the family member can hang around the meadows and black forest without really worrying about the combat so long as they run away from trolls and just focus on the building and exploration aspects.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 14, 2021

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It works in multiplayer and the server and other players don't need to run it to let you run it.

I think the trick with this game is to find what is "skippable" in each tier and still be able to reach the next tier, like a fully upgraded finewood bow will let you skip iron bows until you get to silver and that saves you a whoppin' 80 iron to fully upgrade that bow, I even skipped the crude bow and just had a troll help me chop down birch trees, I skipped leather armor because with a finewood bow troll armor is easy to access and close enough to bronze armor to skip that too and let's you skip whackin' rocks a few hundred times and deforesting a small area just for coal, bronze axe fully upgraded will probably let you skip iron axes until black metal, stuff like that.

You can take it slow and make everything in every tier before moving on, but is it really worth all that rock whacking and risk of dying to falling trees for something you'll hardly use.

I think it's worth making at least tier 1 everything because they make great decorations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

I think it's worth making at least tier 1 everything because they make great decorations.

Most of my bronze went into wall mounts once I realized you could paint shields different styles.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Can easily skip bronze pickaxes too, I made three antler picks that still mine iron in a single hit.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Jusupov posted:

Can easily skip bronze pickaxes too, I made three antler picks that still mine iron in a single hit.

I regretted making a bronze pickaxe myself, antler could be repaired on-site with a crafting bench under a cheap roof on the side of a crypt where a bronze pickaxe was barely any higher durability and had to be repaired at a forge instead and wasn't even that much faster at copper mining and couldn't be used on silver.

Besides a bronze axe and bronze nails and forge upgrades you don't -need- anything in the bronze tier at all, everything besides those is just fun stuff to try out like a bronze buckler or weapons.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 14, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah I wasn't expecting the parry on the shield to fail entirely. I knew damage would come through, but it was just a crushing blow that seemed to ignore the shield entirely, second blow laid me out. First time I'd died in, poo poo, weeks? Since early swamp. I got cocky for sure.

I could have sworn I managed to block one star goblins with a maxed silver shield. Could be imagining things. 2 Star goblins run through me like butter though. In the last few hours the only thing that killed me more was high-rise construction.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Leal posted:

Even cheating to see where my trader *could* spawn, it would still take multiple hours to sail out and get to those areas to see if he will spawn. When I moved to a new seed to get swamps that actually had crypts we got lucky and had the trader spawn on the starting island.

I think the first place you get within a certain distance is where he spawns? In my understanding if all the choices are remote places you've never been, whichever one you sail to is where he will be.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Besides a bronze axe and bronze nails and forge upgrades you don't -need- anything in the bronze tier at all, everything besides those is just fun stuff to try out like a bronze buckler or weapons.

Yea, first instinct is to upgrade everything with the forge but really the antler is about access to a ship, portals, and food/mead production. And a real bow.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Friend and I played last night, and while cutting down beech trees for our first base had logs chain reaction and cascade down. Enough of them fell on an oak tree to knock it down, and we spent the next 15 minutes rolling it up and down a hill like a battering ram into a copse of birch until it broke down into fine wood. Had a table and chairs in our starter base lol

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I'm complete confused as to the love of the antler pickaxe, that thing was maddening for how quick it broke and it took forever to mine.

If you're mining copper then you have copper, just make a forge if you're not using a portal to run back for repairs. This seems like a lot of hassle to avoid a small up-front investment.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
It's the first time you get to dig and break rocks. Also it can be repaired with a workbench.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Repair via workbench is pretty useful. I keep an antler pickaxe in my cart and boat so I have a renewable backup if I suddenly find a lot of ore and don’t want to trek back home.

Of course I’ll be replacing the pickaxe with portal mats as soon as I get some more cores.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fruits of the sea posted:

Repair via workbench is pretty useful. I keep an antler pickaxe in my cart and boat so I have a renewable backup if I suddenly find a lot of ore and don’t want to trek back home.

Of course I’ll be replacing the pickaxe with portal mats as soon as I get some more cores.

I just keep spare picks and portal mats so I can nip home and repair if needs be

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Wait you guys don’t mine next to a chest and a portal and just dump your ore then portal/repair/rest?

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

ZombieCrew posted:

Just started last night. I managed to kill a deer in the water. Any way to swim down to get the loot?

Might be out of your reach for now, but if you sit down on a boat and have someone nudge you off the edge, you'll sink.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jarmak posted:

I'm complete confused as to the love of the antler pickaxe, that thing was maddening for how quick it broke and it took forever to mine.

If you're mining copper then you have copper, just make a forge if you're not using a portal to run back for repairs. This seems like a lot of hassle to avoid a small up-front investment.

It mines at the same rate vs muddy piles for iron scrap as the bronze and iron pickaxes. It does break faster, but you have 3 to bring. So you can do a tiny bit of copper/tin mining, then go straight to iron and use that for silver pretty easily. I jumped straight from troll to silver armor that way. Which in hindsight was great foresight, I must have subconsciously remembered complaints about iron and didn't want to use any if I could help it - now I can go back to crypts I didn't clear out in order to get padded armor.

Anyone have garbage chute suggestions? I built a catwalk off the top of our castle, then a bunch of 45 degree roofs leading down to the water. But tossing bone fragments doesn't work, they don't bounce correctly like trophies or ancient seeds do

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 14, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

causticBeet posted:

Wait you guys don’t mine next to a chest and a portal and just dump your ore then portal/repair/rest?

Multi-player, yes. Solo, well I've spent close to a hundred days building poo poo instead of doing anything that resembles progression :v:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I lost track of how many hours we spent looking for a fifth boss tablet, but we found one finally and it points to an area a hair over 2/3rds the radius to the north-east of first spawn. Way the gently caress out there :black101:

In the mean time we beat that boss on friend's world and had time to kill untold dozens of Lox exploring each and every plains we were near.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Jarmak posted:

For me I didn't have extra cores for portals when I was doing most of my copper mining. I decided lugging around 80lb of forge materials in order to get more copper made no sense, compared to harvesting a couple trees on-site and repairing the antler while I was waiting for my stamina to regen anyway.

Now that all my stuff is metal I accept I need access to a forge everywhere, but the only reason I made a bronze pickax is I mistakenly thought the antler couldnt mine iron.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Andrigaar posted:

I lost track of how many hours we spent looking for a fifth boss tablet, but we found one finally

We never did find one, eventually just bumped into the boss's altar while searching

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

causticBeet posted:

I really should have made a point of camping out at a Surtling spawn. I've been low on cores the whole game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

genericnick posted:

I really should have made a point of camping out at a Surtling spawn. I've been low on cores the whole game.

If you want future biome spoilers just sail south for a while and never want for cores again

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

After loading up on troll armor and upgrading the bow, we decided to trek to the second boss. Interestingly, my partner had an additional location for The Elder which was not marked on my map. We chose that location because it looked like it was a little closer, but it ended up leading us into the swamp where I managed to get murdered by draugrs and skeletons. Can the second boss be located in the swamp? I thought the swamp wouldn't be until later.

The original location for The Elder seems to indicate we need to take a boat to get to, I'd hate to make that trek and end up having it be the swamp anyway.

How did they end up with two markers for The Elder instead of just the one? I'm hoping the other location will be more forgiving.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 14, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The Elder will be in the black forest but with the way biomes are generated in this game it could be a tiny dot of black forest inside a giant swamp.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There can be multiple summon points for a boss, I have two for bonemass, the runestone just gives you the nearest one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The spawn that gets marked on the map is the closest eligible spawn to you when you read the runestone.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
5th boss down, fire resist potion (whatever it is really called) made all the difference. Only minor issue was that we had built our portal and our stash attached to one of the stone "fingers" around it, one he proceed to destroy and make the whole thing come down.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Floppychop posted:

1 star goblins can be parried normally, it's only the 2s that can't.

And Tower Shields can't parry at all, I don't recommend them.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ChristsDickWorship posted:

For me I didn't have extra cores for portals when I was doing most of my copper mining. I decided lugging around 80lb of forge materials in order to get more copper made no sense, compared to harvesting a couple trees on-site and repairing the antler while I was waiting for my stamina to regen anyway.

Now that all my stuff is metal I accept I need access to a forge everywhere, but the only reason I made a bronze pickax is I mistakenly thought the antler couldnt mine iron.

Bronze pickaxe was the second thing I made after the axe, I don't lug the mats around I just made a forge next to where I was smelting the copper and repaired it when I brought my ore in.

Did y'all haul all the ore all the way back to your meadows base to smelt?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

With exactly 10 cores, I built a smelting base and forge bordering the black forest with the most copper I had noticed and just hoofed it back and forth. Later I built another outpost with a cart path back to the smelters to clean out some more deposits. Because I didn't have enough cores for portals plus smelting, I decided to strip everything off my starting island before dismantling the kiln to set sail with a portal. Maybe not the most efficient, but I also ended up with a decent stockpile of mead materials running back and forth.

Then I got in a boat to set sail for the world and immediately ran into a small black forest island with 18 more cores in 3 burial chambers. So I turned around a rebuilt the kiln, and had plenty of cores for portals

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I am well into bronze now and I gotta say setting up a cart path through the black forest to the nearby mountain was an incredibly good idea. Took a bit of work, but now me and my friend can easily fill a cart with copper, tin, wood and core and bring it all back to our main base (which is in the black woods anyway so the road is getting constant use for overland travel). Originally I figured I'd just use it for the copper but it really is just super useful to load up on everything every time I head back to base. And there's a lot less pressure to clear cut the beautiful scenic views immediately around our base for convenience purposes

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So is the swamp supposed to be a huge step up in difficulty or something?

I had full troll armor with bronze equipment and a finewood bow for The Elder and a bunch of fire arrows (Finally, a use for all that loving resin) and killed him moderately easy, but any time I step even one step into the swamp I get stomped loving hard. Am I supposed to use bronze armor going forward?

I have a long trek for my corpse anyway, since I had gotten to a small swamp area with my Karve and was getting stomped so I took up my portal and made for what looked like a meadows area. As soon as I hopped off the boat it said "Plains", two goblins came and pushed in my poo poo so hard my gravestone was on land but my corpse went flying into the water. Making a basic-rear end raft to get back there is going to suck.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I found the swamp mostly difficult due to all the poison. Mead pretty much neutered it tho

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My rough understanding is each biome is matched up against armor from that biome, so it's tough at first then you flatten it. This gets weird with swamp since troll armor is so good early, but you get absolutely owned there if anything hits you. It's also scary and dark and rainy and all that.

Eventually you get better food so you can take more hits and get more wary about danger and figure out parry timings, but you absolutely have to sidestep arrows coming at you unawares. Always have rested buff going too.

edit also the poison blobs are INSANE until you learn how to deal with them. poison mead is a bitch to always have at the ready so you gotta just be super careful. i like to look for crypts from the edge of swamps, then rush in and do those so blobs don't get me from behind

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Azhais posted:

I found the swamp mostly difficult due to all the poison. Mead pretty much neutered it tho

Yeah, it's mostly poison. The Draugr aren't that fast and the bow dudes can be easily dodged by slowly walking sideways.