Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

smackfu posted:

The worst is when people put cyclomatic complexity or any of these metrics in their linter, and some random small change is the one that breaks the rule and requires a refactoring for no good reasons.

We use SonarQube on PRs but don't block based on failure - it's more to just have visibility into these sorts of things. It works out pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

smackfu posted:

On a different topic: how common is it for corporate employers to literally take 6-8 months to roll out each annual MacOS update? We just got Catalina a few months ago and maybe we will get Big Sur sometime in 2021? It’s a bit ridiculous and really messes with new hardware buys which are going to be on the new OS version regardless.

Taking over a year to roll out Catalina is absurdly slow, but there were good reasons for it to take a while. Catalina broke image-based deployment, and while it wasn't exactly a surprise (Apple's been hinting that it wasn't going to be a viable option long-term and started providing alternatives a few years ago), anyone that hadn't actually started looking into the modern way of doing things had a lot of work to update. Big Sur also has some deployment changes, but also the ban on third-party kernel extensionx broke all the lovely antivirus systems that large corporations love and those are just now shipping Big Sur compatible versions.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Encouraging pairing is good, enforcing pairing sounds like a nightmare.

Having flashbacks to oldjob, where CEO visited the New York office and saw two local programmers do pair-programming. He liked it so much that all programmers in the company were switched to full time pair programming, starting on Thursday.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 14, 2021

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I apologize this is a very vague question but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I have a low-paid, crappy but "prestigious" job in academia. I took a CS course and I've built a program that greatly assists in performing my unusual job. Nothing like it exists and I've gotten a lot of interest in it from my colleagues. This field is very behind the times with using computers to assist with the work.

So here's my question. I carefully made it entirely in my free time so my employer has no claim to it. Should I publish it as open source on Github or try to make money off it? On one hand I'm thinking it could be a great thing to put on a resume as an open source project used by others in the field. On the other hand getting some income from it would be great. It there some middle ground where I could keep the rights to it but distribute it on the internet? Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Rework the core logic into a SaaS web application. If it doesn't make you any money, open source it

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pekinduck posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I apologize this is a very vague question but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I have a low-paid, crappy but "prestigious" job in academia. I took a CS course and I've built a program that greatly assists in performing my unusual job. Nothing like it exists and I've gotten a lot of interest in it from my colleagues. This field is very behind the times with using computers to assist with the work.

So here's my question. I carefully made it entirely in my free time so my employer has no claim to it. Should I publish it as open source on Github or try to make money off it? On one hand I'm thinking it could be a great thing to put on a resume as an open source project used by others in the field. On the other hand getting some income from it would be great. It there some middle ground where I could keep the rights to it but distribute it on the internet? Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Talk to a copyright lawyer. There are all sorts of gotchas and what you think was sufficient to ensure you retained ownership may not have been.

Since it's niche software, you probably won't be able to make much if any money selling it. Your colleagues all want it, which is great, but if there are only a few thousand people in the world like your colleagues, then it's going to have extremely limited sales potential. Super-niche software exists, but it's usually sold in the "you're not paying for the software, you're paying a yearly licensing fee that entitles you to use the software and receive support/updates/etc" sense. If it's something that could be packaged as a SaaS offering with a monthly/yearly subscription fee, that could work out nicely for you.

There's not really a downside to trying to sell it (assuming copyright pans out, etc). If it catches on and is a big hit in your field, chances are everyone will know about it and people will say "Oh, wow, you're the person who wrote Awesomesoft?!?" If it doesn't, open source it, and if it catches on now that it's free, people will still say "Oh, wow, you're the person who wrote Awesomesoft?!?", except you won't have made any money from it. If it doesn't ever catch on, it will be an interesting footnote that you can talk about.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Talk to a copyright lawyer. There are all sorts of gotchas and what you think was sufficient to ensure you retained ownership may not have been.

Will do, I fortunately know a great lawyer who I can talk to.

Since it's niche software, you probably won't be able to make much if any money selling it. Your colleagues all want it, which is great, but if there are only a few thousand people in the world like your colleagues, then it's going to have extremely limited sales potential.

Yeah this is the exact situation, its a small field and has no private sector equivalent. (PM me if you're curious) ~1000 potential users is an optimistic ballpark.

Super-niche software exists, but it's usually sold in the "you're not paying for the software, you're paying a yearly licensing fee that entitles you to use the software and receive support/updates/etc" sense. If it's something that could be packaged as a SaaS offering with a monthly/yearly subscription fee, that could work out nicely for you.

I could package it into a SaaS, presently its written in C with the UI implemented in Curses for use from a terminal in Linux. Honestly the program isn't too complicated but I'm drawing from my personal experience doing this job and how software could help with it.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Pekinduck posted:

I could package it into a SaaS, presently its written in C with the UI implemented in Curses for use from a terminal in Linux. Honestly the program isn't too complicated but I'm drawing from my personal experience doing this job and how software could help with it.

Don't do this, if it was simple everyone would do it. :)

This is something I am learning right now......

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Very frequently, the most complicated part of a SaaS product is it's marketing, presentation, and it's payment processing. The 'service' itself seems to be increasingly trivial.

I think my favorite recent example of complexity being 95% marketing with out of control pricing might be Visual Ping. For the low, low price of $97 a month, you can fetch the HTML of a webpage up to 20k times and diff it...automatically!!! Comes with cool looking screen caps.

That is an insanely trivial problem to solve and if you want to use their service, it'll cost you as much, or MORE than the entire Adobe Creative Suite.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 14, 2021

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Pekinduck posted:

Talk to a lawyer then look into GitHub sponsorships or some other way to monetize it as OSS. you could also do a patreon.

kitten emergency fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 14, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Very frequently, the most complicated part of a SaaS product is it's marketing, presentation, and it's payment processing.

I should make a SaaS product for making SaaS products...

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pekinduck posted:

Selling to individuals is going to be a losing proposition, you don't have a big enough potential userbase and no one is going to pay out of pocket for it at a price point that would be worth it to you. You need to look at a more "enterprisey" model if you want to monetize it.

If you think you could sell a subscription to a few university departments (say, per-seat licensing at $1000 per seat per year) and get 50 or 100 users, you could have a very lucrative side project going if you redo it to be web-friendly and cloud hosted. Obviously we can't know what price points make sense, or if you could do something like free but somehow limited + ads for people who just need basic capabilities, but there's definitely potential. Niche, expensive software is pretty common if it's being marketed toward organizations instead of individuals.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The hard part about doing the niche approach is you need to be good at sales or pay someone who is, and has the contacts to get the meetings in the first place.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

prom candy posted:

The hard part about doing the niche approach is you need to be good at sales or pay someone who is, and has the contacts to get the meetings in the first place.

Yeah, but I'm assuming that in a small, highly-specialized academic community, you know or have at least corresponded with a ton of your potential userbase already so the networking is already done, or at least the groundwork is laid.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pekinduck posted:

What does your contact with the University say? "We own every thing you make and every thought you have, on the clock or not" is pretty typical in the professional realm, and depending on how much a university wants to turn the screws this might end badly.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Volmarias posted:

What does your contact with the University say? "We own every thing you make and every thought you have, on the clock or not" is pretty typical in the professional realm, and depending on how much a university wants to turn the screws this might end badly.

I think this depends on jurisdiction because that certainly isn't the case here

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

HappyHippo posted:

I think this depends on jurisdiction because that certainly isn't the case here

yeah, this is very much a case of "start by talking to a real lawyer"

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Don't do this, if it was simple everyone would do it. :)

This is something I am learning right now......

Good point, thanks!

Yeah, but I'm assuming that in a small, highly-specialized academic community, you know or have at least corresponded with a ton of your potential userbase already so the networking is already done, or at least the groundwork is laid.

Yup this is the situation.

Volmarias posted:

Not sure about that, IP rarely comes up with my job. Will definitely talk to a lawyer.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Pekinduck posted:

Not sure about that, IP rarely comes up with my job. Will definitely talk to a lawyer.

Offering a correction: the comment meant to ask what your contract says, not your contact. Dig out the contract itself and you may find some (seemingly) clear-cut bad news (eg, we (the university) own any inventions pertaining to any or all business interests of the university, regardless of yadda yadda)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Newf posted:

Offering a correction: the comment meant to ask what your contract says, not your contact. Dig out the contract itself and you may find some (seemingly) clear-cut bad news (eg, we (the university) own any inventions pertaining to any or all business interests of the university, regardless of yadda yadda)

But also talk to a lawyer, because those clauses can be invalid in certain jurisdictions.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Newf posted:

I looked though the contract and couldn't find anything. This is a union job with a collective bargaining agreement. Also its hourly not salary which from my understanding state law prohibits non-competes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Software Design for Flexibility

A new book from Gerald Jay Sussman of SICP fame. It looks interesting, but I think I'm going to hold out for the paperback.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Here's a weird question, not asking for any reason than out of my own curiosity. Anyone ever use the VS Code Live Share feature in an actual professional development context? I personally have not.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Protocol7 posted:

Here's a weird question, not asking for any reason than out of my own curiosity. Anyone ever use the VS Code Live Share feature in an actual professional development context? I personally have not.

I do. It’s...I mean, I’ve never liked pair programming tools, so as far as I can tell it’s pretty good among them, but I still end up fighting a lot for control with the person I’m pairing with. Also a lot of ambiguity on what side the changes end up on.

(Then again I think it’s the specific person I’m pairing with that’s actually difficult...)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Protocol7 posted:

I've used VS live share (which I assume is similar) and I've been very impressed. But it's mostly been for short discussions and walkthroughs etc, never long term pair programming.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Now for something completely unrelated.

We're at the tail end of a project. Big spreadsheet of processed data needs to go out to the customer this week.

Today, the guy who is basically the project manager and SME has dropped two bombshells:

1. The SOW requires that the data be delivered in another format entirely; and
  2. The list of valid values for a specific column of interest - which I had explicitly sent out for review and was signed off on 2 months ago - is actually incomplete and that column needs to be reprocessed.

I cannot wait for this week (and therefore this project) to be over. :suicide:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

We're at the tail end of a project. Big spreadsheet of processed data needs to go out to the customer this week.

Today, the guy who is basically the project manager and SME has dropped two bombshells:

2. The list of valid values for a specific column of interest - which I had explicitly sent out for review and was signed off on 2 months ago - is actually incomplete and that column needs to be reprocessed.

Why was the format of the data not part of the acceptance criteria of the user story?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds to me like your project manager hosed up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Why was the format of the data not part of the acceptance criteria of the user story?

Well that's part of the crux of the issue - the project manager is not familiar with traditional software development workflows so he doesn't touch any of our tasks in Jira. Most of the task requirements discussion happens in a Zoom call and all kinds of stuff gets lost in incomplete meeting notes or other stuff like that. Fortunately he is not involved in any of the projects after this one is complete.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Protocol7 posted:

So why is this stressful for you? Is the end date of the project fixed?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

So why is this stressful for you? Is the end date of the project fixed?

So I mean, it is and is not stressful in a sense. My work situation is kind of unique in that it's basically me and my boss, plus a few people who are SMEs in their fields.

Basically then, all the extra work falls on me to complete. However, if, for whatever reason, I can't complete the tasks and get the spreadsheet delivered by the end of the week (which is the project end date, at which point we will start working on a new project out of Jira properly again), it also doesn't really affect me in any way, basically it would just sour the relationship between the project manager and the client. I won't get shitcanned or anything.

More or less, I am just bitching about this PM guy having zero organization and planning, and that therefore somehow constituting an emergency on my part.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Protocol7 posted:

Basically then, all the extra work falls on me to complete. However, if, for whatever reason, I can't complete the tasks and get the spreadsheet delivered by the end of the week (which is the project end date, at which point we will start working on a new project out of Jira properly again), it also doesn't really affect me in any way, basically it would just sour the relationship between the project manager and the client. I won't get shitcanned or anything.

More or less, I am just bitching about this PM guy having zero organization and planning, and that therefore somehow constituting an emergency on my part.

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of Not Really Your Problem. I'm not saying not to do the work, but I wouldn't necessarily scramble towards its completion either, or else the reward might be that you end up working with the dude who doesn't plan well again.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
If you work major overtime and stress yourself out to finish the job in time, the takeaway from the manager will be:

"I did an awesome job, and I should learn zero lessons from this whatsoever"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh don't worry, I'm not putting in overtime for this. Getting my 40 in this week and basically gonna say "it's your problem now" if it's not ready by then.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Protocol7 posted:

Getting my 40 in this week

Get a load of the overachiever

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Remember that even with Covid that you should be continuing to shitpost from your toilet and that counts towards your work week.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Remember that even with Covid that you should be continuing to shitpost from your toilet and that counts towards your work week.

In fact, accounting for the increased drinking during covid there probably should be an increasing amount of time allocated for shitposting from the toilet. And, of course, those are billable hours.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I feel kinda bad because I think I got another consultant fired. Second person who they hired onto our team without any interview. This guy didn't understand why com.company.thing wasn't working. It was supposed to be com/company/thing. You know like anyone who has done a week of java knows.
Scariest part is that the new architect with 3 years of java dev exp had to drag me, a frontender who knows java into that meeting to solve it.

Same guy pushed a thing which just pushed a thing which would have sent every customers mail to all the customers into prod. This week he sent 300k emails though only internally.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone ever heard of this Amazon 6-pager thing?

https://writingcooperative.com/the-anatomy-of-an-amazon-6-pager-fc79f31a41c9

quote:

Amazon is well known for its lack of using PowerPoint. The way this works is that before a meeting, you print out enough copies for everyone in the room. You’re not allowed to read the document from your computer unless you are remote. Also, no one reads the document before the meeting. You are usually given 20–25 minutes at the beginning of a 60-minute meeting to read the doc from beginning to end. Most people write down questions or feedback directly on the printout since using a computer during this time is frowned upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

yes. they're great if you ever need to coordinate meetings and make sure something actually productive happens during them