Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Kreeblah posted:

So, wait, some rando generated some tokens, says they represent public domain art, and is selling them to people?

the nft is a ledger entry that happens to correspond to a picture. It doesn't grant you any rights whatsoever in relation to that picture. so in other words, it's just a ledger entry you paid lots of money for, also it melts icebergs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Love to see the tech world go gaga over AccelerationCoin.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
it's like paying an accountant $50,000 to record a $50,000 expense item in your ledger, but setting the background image of that item to the Mona Lisa. Also the accountant burns a few drums of oil.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The fplus did a reading ages ago of a website where you could trade celebrities for your virtual slave harem and ERP about it.

It's that with less ERP and more jacking off

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

It seems like NFTs could potentially be useful if they were connected to something real. And if proving ownership wasn't already a pretty much solved problem.

How could they ever be useful at all. Buying an URL and a hash value doesn't mean much of anything.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

How could they ever be useful at all. Buying an URL and a hash value doesn't mean much of anything.

Money laundering, I guess?

Also since it's ETH based congrats these NFTs are partially why it's loving impossible to find a GPU now

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Don't give them a chair, though, as the cops will just take it and post photos of it on Facebook to show they're fighting homelessness by fighting the homeless.

Maybe we should eradicate homelessness, facebook, and cops.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

ynohtna posted:

not with the same methods though please

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
nft stuff is just another way to launder money. also some of the early big splashes were people buying them from themselves to drum up volume/interest.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
NFT’s nuts

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

fanfic insert posted:

not with the same methods though please

gently caress, marry, kill

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

In a capitalist society, having indisputable proof of ownership is very useful and valuable. I'm gonna say it's useful in a good society to, just only for personal property, and even then less so.

Also owning a URL that's attractive is kinda super valuable. Some guy bought corp.com early on and recently sold it for 1.7 million dollars to Microsoft.

Burning an iceberg to prove ownership is dumb though, and the fact that owning the hash doesn't actually mean you own anything "real" makes it dumb. But in theory, using NFTs in audit trails could make sense. Just use old fashioned audit trails though, they work 99% as well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BonHair posted:

In a capitalist society, having indisputable proof of ownership is very useful and valuable. I'm gonna say it's useful in a good society to, just only for personal property, and even then less so.

Also owning a URL that's attractive is kinda super valuable. Some guy bought corp.com early on and recently sold it for 1.7 million dollars to Microsoft.

Burning an iceberg to prove ownership is dumb though, and the fact that owning the hash doesn't actually mean you own anything "real" makes it dumb. But in theory, using NFTs in audit trails could make sense. Just use old fashioned audit trails though, they work 99% as well.
What's the remaining 1%. I'll wait.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Splicer posted:

What's the remaining 1%. I'll wait.

It's losing your loving receipt that you only had on paper. An offense that incidentally was punishable by death under the Code of Hammurabi.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

BonHair posted:

It's losing your loving receipt that you only had on paper. An offense that incidentally was punishable by death under the Code of Hammurabi.

so something that never happens anymore, ok

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BonHair posted:

"Did you pay by card? OK let me look that up for you"

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

BonHair posted:

It seems like NFTs could potentially be useful if they were connected to something real. And if proving ownership wasn't already a pretty much solved problem.

Well yeah, it's the same idea as GPG pretty much, except they replaced the "got the certificate to check against from a trusted source" part with BlOCkCHaiNz!!!!

There's a value in being able to tell that the binary package I just downloaded for my Debian machine is unmodified since it was signed by the same source I got the certificate from, although I'm trusting that the certificate I have is from who I think it is in the first place.

The NFT could be useful as evidence of receipt of stolen goods I guess, if they weren't stealing from poor content creators.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Splicer posted:

"Did you pay by card? OK let me look that up for you"

More like "oh, you say you bought it? Well can you show me the proof, you thief?"

But yeah, agreed, it's rare but not completely unheard of that a reliable trail doesn't exist. That why I said 99%.

At least in Denmark, thanks to GDPR, you have to erase your records after 6 years for ordinary financial records if they contain personal information on the buyer (or seller I guess), which would also potentially erase your trail.

Just to be clear, NFTs are not the solution to this in any real way, it is in fact not a real problem.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

An NFT isn't "indisputable proof of ownership" of anything, just because you bought a hash value doesn't mean you own the content linked at all. It's an URL with a hash value, nothing more. You also don't own the URL, the NFT contains an URL. The URL and the content it points to are independent of the NFT.

NFTs aren't "audit trails" in any way.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Mar 14, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Fame Douglas posted:

An NFT isn't "indisputable proof of ownership" of anything, just because you bought a hash value doesn't mean you own the content linked at all. It's an URL with a hash value, nothing more. You also don't own the URL, the NFT contains an URL. The URL and the content it points to are independent of the NFT.

:lol: I didn't realize they were hashing the URLs, I assumed it was the actual image data or something. NFTs are like an onion that gets stupider the more layers you peel off

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

An NFT isn't "indisputable proof of ownership" of anything, you need a contract proving ownership for that. It's an URL with a hash value, nothing more. You also don't own an URL, the NFT contains an URL

Absolutely. But if you legalese the connection between the token and the object, you can use it as such. Which absolutely shouldn't be done.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Forseti posted:

Well yeah, it's the same idea as GPG pretty much, except they replaced the "got the certificate to check against from a trusted source" part with BlOCkCHaiNz!!!!

There's a value in being able to tell that the binary package I just downloaded for my Debian machine is unmodified since it was signed by the same source I got the certificate from, although I'm trusting that the certificate I have is from who I think it is in the first place.

The NFT could be useful as evidence of receipt of stolen goods I guess, if they weren't stealing from poor content creators.

The NFT/Blockchain doesn't replace the trusted authority. Someone still needs to put the hash value of your Debian ISO up in the Blockchain, and you need to trust that authority. It does literally nothing to establish the authenticity of anything.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Absolutely. But if you legalese the connection between the token and the object, you can use it as such. Which absolutely shouldn't be done.

You can't, really. Someone else could have done the same thing not owning the rights to anything. Without a separate way to verify the ownership chain, buying a token really tells you nothing because you don't know whether the person selling you the token even has any rights to transfer.

Anyone can create an NFT of anything, and the same thing can be put up on the Blockchain an infinite number of times.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's like owning a Thunderfury except somehow even less useful

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Forseti posted:

:lol: I didn't realize they were hashing the URLs, I assumed it was the actual image data or something. NFTs are like an onion that gets stupider the more layers you peel off

In 10 years, 99% of those extremely rare valuable art NFTs are probably going to 404.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Fame Douglas posted:

The NFT/Blockchain doesn't replace the trusted authority. Someone still needs to put the hash value of your Debian ISO up in the Blockchain, and you need to trust that authority. It does literally nothing to establish the authenticity of anything.

Oh ok, so I think it's even stupider than I thought? Like they're just computing a hash of the "work" and popping that into a lovely database that spends 99.999999% of its power pissing off the Lorax?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's like owning a Thunderfury except somehow even less useful

buying a token that shows my ownership of the concept of linking thunderfury in trade chat, like a savvy investor

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ynohtna posted:

The gently caress do you mean "maybe"?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

i'm going to buy the moment when the amzing atheist poured hot wax on his pecker

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

thunder fury took work to get and had a use value.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

How's that any different from losing your crypto wallet because you accidentally deleted it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Forseti posted:

Oh ok, so I think it's even stupider than I thought? Like they're just computing a hash of the "work" and popping that into a lovely database that spends 99.999999% of its power pissing off the Lorax?

Yep. You are buying a hash of a picture or URL or whatever, that took the electricity requirements of disneyworld to record, and is only valid on that particular platform (and there's more than one, because of course there are).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

What if someone just deletes the thing at the other end of the URL? Congrats, you now own the hash of a URL to a 404 error!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I don't understand what an nft is and I don't want to know

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

its just those name-a-star infomercials but for memes

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Trafficking in NFTs is labor camp worthy imo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

duz posted:

its just those name-a-star infomercials but for memes

Name-a-star is absolutely a ripoff but my fiancee named a star after her best friend who died young. It was like :10bux: and made her feel happy

NFTs are just garbage and need to die

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

you can name a star without the certificate though

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BonHair posted:

More like "oh, you say you bought it? Well can you show me the proof, you thief?"

But yeah, agreed, it's rare but not completely unheard of that a reliable trail doesn't exist. That why I said 99%.

At least in Denmark, thanks to GDPR, you have to erase your records after 6 years for ordinary financial records if they contain personal information on the buyer (or seller I guess), which would also potentially erase your trail.

Just to be clear, NFTs are not the solution to this in any real way, it is in fact not a real problem.
Wait so in this scenario we're NFTing things like lipstick and Casio watches?

e: also wouldn't GDPR make NFTs just flat illegal?

Splicer has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

So what you’re saying is that the invention of writing was a good thing.

Noted.